Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Come on, you can't say this isn't a killer technique.

Kipeci

Arcane
Also, while we are a 'fairly strong warrior archetype,' at least as far as a fourteen year old can be, that doesn't say that much when we get into the realm of people who know what they're doing.

Consider that at Rank 1 (like what we have for unarmed combat), treave's description says: "You have a basic grasp of this skill; at least you know it is about, if not what you should be doing."

This should bring us up, what, one rank or so? That'd land us at the lofty heights of Rank 2: "You understand what you should be doing, but you are not very good at doing it." We definitely need some work here. Even if we go up two ranks, the one that follows is merely 'competent' and we should aim higher.

But what the hell, somehow I still like it more then D - catching a whip with bare hands while standing on a rearing horse sound like a real longshot to me. Especially now that we have taken a sudden and unexplainable hit to our agility.

The Tiger sign gives +2 to Agility, but initially we were given 8. We might have an opportunity to bump up our stats in the future, though. If we're... lucky.
Oh, I know what happened to our agility. I was just kidding.

Anyway, I don't know how much is B going to help us in palace intrigues. The description specifically states "in the wilderness". But it still looks like an interesting choice, so B it is for me (plus I don't know why a stealth technique that works in wilderness wouldn't work in say gardens or even on the streets). Unarmed fighting is not something I'm a fan of (I can't help but feel that having a weapon, any weapon is an advantage) and bows... well it sounds good, but I'm not sure how much use we are going to have from it.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Come on, you can't say this isn't a killer technique.

So is this (1:20, onwards):

It's not like we have shard enough teeth to go around biting hands off. And stealth isn't a good tool for when you're in a straight up fight or when we're the ones being ambushed.
Unarmed fighting is not something I'm a fan of (I can't help but feel that having a weapon, any weapon is an advantage
Weapons can break, they can be stolen. You can be disarmed, but your fists and feet are always there.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Prince was born under the sign of the Tiger (always the same as you), but he also has the background of Gifted As Fuck.

Also, you would have gotten another selection of techniques if you came with a different set of stats. Even the bow skill here is geared towards firing quickly rather than accurately. It's more of an acrobatic bow technique like, uh, Legolas?

This should bring us up, what, one rank or so? That'd land us at the lofty heights of Rank 2: "You understand what you should be doing, but you are not very good at doing it." We definitely need some work here. Even if we go up two ranks, the one that follows is merely 'competent' and we should aim higher.

Hm, I wasn't planning on giving a skill rank up for picking the unarmed technique, actually. You have enough grasp of unarmed that he can teach the technique without having to instruct you in the very basics, while with the other skills he will spend a bit more time to get you to a level where you can execute the first level of the technique.

Kipeci

Arcane
Unarmed fighting is not something I'm a fan of (I can't help but feel that having a weapon, any weapon is an advantage)
When we gain skills in unarmed fighting, that means that we are never without weapons (unless someone amputates our limbs or something, at which point we have bigger problems). With effort, we could be that guy who could kill water buffalo with a single blow.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Make Xu Jing learn the needle spitting skill then. That way, even sans limbs he is a threat, until someone cuts his head off. But at that time he no longer has to worry about anything any more. :lol:

Baltika9

Arcane
Like Mas Oyama?
IMAGE_87.jpg

:yeah:

Unarmed fighting is not something I'm a fan of (I can't help but feel that having a weapon, any weapon is an advantage
Weapons can break, they can be stolen. You can be disarmed, but your fists and feet are always there.
Right, but if you are in a fight and you do have a weapon, that is a definite advantage. Even an improvised weapon can be quite effective - a simple stick can greatly increase your reach, damage you dish out and allow you to deflect other weapons - trying to parry a sword with bare hands is not fun.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Something like...

Cuijian Palm (碎劍掌 Sword Shattering Palm). This high level palm technique allows its user to intercept and shatter swords with their palms strikes.

Could be countered by...

Roushe Liushui Sword (柔蛇流水劍 Soft Snake Flowing Water Sword). This high level sword technique is used with a very flexible blade, creating flowing movements that are extremely difficult to predict or parry.

Which in turn could be countered by...

Zhizhan Sabre Technique (直砍刀法, Straight Cutting Sabre Technique). This sabre technique utilizes heavy, forceful swings that will blow away any form of gentler attacks with its sheer pressure.

Plenty more BS where that came from. :troll:

Last edited:
How would you break a sword? The only way I can think of is hitting it with extreme force (like a large sledgehammer), but even then it is more likely to just bend. I have no idea how you would do it while unarmed. Wouldn't it be easier to just try to disarm your opponent instead (and thus negate his advantage)?

Edit: Oh, techniques exist for that? Nevermind that then.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Given the setting, if a technique doesn't exist, you just have to invent it (of course, you would need to be skilled, intelligent and creative enough to do so). Sometimes, wuxia fights are purely about who brings the most bullshit to the table.

Baltika9

Arcane
Is B at all useful in a straight-up fight, treave? Or outside the wilderness, for that matter?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
B. Yinglang Step. (影狼步 Shadow Wolf Step). A wolf is silent and stealthy in its hunt. This qinggong technique teaches the user to move swiftly, gently and quietly in the wilderness to avoid attracting attention.

B will get us started on Qinggong. Light body skill. That is bound to be useful in a fight.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Shadow Wolf Step will give a bonus to your sneak skill. The boost is higher in the wild, lesser in man-made places. At higher levels of the technique you will also get an agility stat boost while using the technique. If we're talking about combat, a high level Shadow Wolf Step will allow you to just about vanish from plain sight in the forest. However, being a specific technique and not a general skill, it is possible for the opponent to observe the movements, predict its moves, and finally develop a counter for it.

Of course, the other techniques have a direct application to fights too. Being able to fire arrows rapidly on the move reduces one of the major disadvantages usually associated with Han bow techniques; i.e. mobility, giving you the element of surprise and first strike in most battles.

The wolf fists, on the other hand, are a reliable technique against combatants that are don't have a preponderance of stamina - the technique corners them, harries them and finally brings them down after getting past their guard.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
B. Yinglang Step. (影狼步 Shadow Wolf Step). A wolf is silent and stealthy in its hunt. This qinggong technique teaches the user to move swiftly, gently and quietly in the wilderness to avoid attracting attention.

B will get us started on Qinggong. Light body skill. That is bound to be useful in a fight.
While using the technique, though. We're coming back to hostile territory in the Court, we'd better be armed accordingly. Shadow Wolf Step won't do much for us there.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I doubt that we're likely to be set upon the very bloody minute we get back to the Court. They may not like us, but our unique position might offer us a modicum of protection, for now. We will need to stay alert once we head back though.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Honestly, if they really wanted to get rid of you, they would have a better opportunity to do so on the way back, perhaps arranging for an accident or two. Your luck certainly warrants that much, at least. No one would be surprised if you were crushed by a horse. On the other hand, there's too many eyes and ears in the capital. It's harder to act without revealing themselves there.

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, but shit doesn't always go as planned, especially with our luck. Look, we put ourselves in a very visible position, thanks to our exploits here (I am not complaining, though, not at all), we must have an according arsenal. Yes, more techniques will come in the future, but we have to work with what we have right now.

On the other hand, the stealth will come in handy if (when) we decide to flee court.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If nothing else, stealth will have an ace-up-the-sleeve value, especially if we use it sparingly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom