Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Kipeci

Arcane
A

A. We don't have to tell them everything, do we? Just what has happend when we were attacked.

That previous choice is going to bite us in the ass yet. And it looks like Qilin invited Yifang as well. I just hope her sister coached her into keeping our real identity quiet in front of the others.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
“Impure… you are impure…” mutters Yifang as she begins praying upon seeing your face.
Yes, Mistress. Punish me, Mistress. :lol:
Cao’er, on the other hand, is looking at you like a snake would a rat. Her fingers float up to her waist sash, toying with the knot.
I regret nothing! :salute:
God, I love this family to death, all of them.

And props to Esquilax for calling Guo Fu's victory. 300 pounds of BRO for the win!

Murong Yandi never met Guan Shide before this day, did he?

As for the choice, A. I like how Qilin have gathered all of our friends here. Friends are, indeed, important. Plus, a rogue like Qilin would prove invaluable for tracking the WiB, both because of her personal skills and her connections. And since her match with Nameless is next, we need to ask her for the favor of revealing the identity of the masked fighter anyway. Might as well come clean about the reasons for why we need to know.

Flopped to D.

Last edited:

ScubaV

Prophet
Bai Jiutian : Xu Jing :: Naim : Senya ?

Anyway, BROFORCE TEAM A ASSEMBLE!

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm sure there's a reason why we shouldn't be voting to assemble the brosquad, but I don't for the life of me know what it could be.

It's just too fun.

A

Nevill

Arcane
Well, we might have to explain why we seek out WiB, and why we are concerned for the reputation of ZJ's disciple. The only ones who don't know this yet are Guo Fu, Puo'er and Yandi, and I doubt they would care much, though.

But are you comfortable with trusting them with your secret? Guo Fu and Yandi seem to be very simple-minded people, they might give you away involuntarily. At this point I give zero fucks about our anonymity, but someone might consider this important.

Oh, and Qilin is still a question mark. She isn't one of the WiB, that is the only thing we can be certain about her. But we can never be sure of where her loyalties lie. I've come to accept that about her, so it does not influence my decision any.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Murong Yandi never met Guan Shide before this day, did he?

He's spotted Jing unmasked a few times out in public before this, even if he did not bring it up. Of course, didn't take him long to realize it was just Man Tiger Pig without the pig's mask, and the monks had called the unmasked guy Guan. He managed to put two and two together but didn't kick up a fuss about it, seeing no point.

KXJTjiB.png

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Well, we might have to explain why we seek out WiB, and why we are concerned for the reputation of ZJ's disciple. The only ones who don't know this yet are Guo Fu, Puo'er and Yandi, and I doubt they would care much, though.

But are you comfortable with trusting them with your secret? Guo Fu and Yandi seem to be very simple-minded people, they might give you away involuntarily. At this point I give zero fucks about our anonymity, but someone might consider this important.

Oh, and Qilin is still a question mark. She isn't one of the WiB, that is the only thing we can be certain about her. But we can never be sure of where her loyalties lie. I've come to accept that about her, so it does not influence my decision any.

You're right that we can't trust Qilin's motives, she's beholden to some very shady people who may have designs that are contrary to ours...

However, we know she has disobeyed her father before when it comes to performing particularly unsavourary deeds, if we can get her to like us enough, she may stay by our side. We're likable enough, and if we do some things to keep her loyal we may never have to worry, at least as far as she's concerned. I think A is an important first step in that direction.

Nevill

Arcane
Smashing Axe said:
However, we know she has disobeyed her father before when it comes to performing particularly unsavourary deeds
Oh? When was it?

She had contemplated it once, but since we had to take our leave with Zhang, we do not know the end of the story.

Smashing Axe said:
I think A is an important first step in that direction.
The first step was made two years ago in the Luoying Manor. We just follow the path we set on.

Whether she deserves it or not, I decided to trust her.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One thing though guys, trusting them implies that eventually they too shall be at risk. Is that acceptable? While I'm fairly certain that they can largely take care of themselves, I'm concerned if this can put Pu'er at a risk she might not be able to handle.

Nevill

Arcane
ERYFKRAD said:
One thing though guys, trusting them implies that eventually they too shall be at risk.
Why? If they are at risk by being associated with us, then the harm was already done once they walked through the door. And they have the right to know of the danger.

We do not ask them to go on a night hunt with us. It is their choice if they want to involve themselves further, beyond a simple advice.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Excellent, the crowd and the Huashan fucking hate us. When it's time for the actual fight between Master Zhang's apprentice and Bai Jiutian, we'll be sure to pull out record Pay-Per View numbers and draw a huge crowd hoping to see "Money" Jing Mayweather get knocked out. Speaking of money, we probably made back quite a bit of the money we spent on lodging with Qilin.

I knew the big guy would pull off the upset. Sadly, Azira, we can't learn Guo Fu's invulnerability neigong:

Speaking of blocking techniques, Shaolin does have a very powerful defensive neigong that allows its practitioners to block blades and other weapons with their bare body, perhaps even breaking them if the user is tough enough and his enemy swings hard enough, but you can't learn it because of your unique qi.

He'll be very tough to beat. With Yuanshi Hundun, our STR would be 9, and I'm fairly sure that isn't enough raw power to pierce through his defensive neigong. And our measly PER 6 isn't going to help us detect some chinks in the big guy's armor. I suppose we could push Guo Fu out of the ring with our Chuzhan Fist, but it isn't worth it to me to give away our techniques like that, not with Bai Jiutian watching us.

Why? If they are at risk by being associated with us, then the harm was already done once they walked through the door. And they have the right to know of the danger.

We do not ask them to go on a night hunt with us. It is their choice if they want to involve themselves further, beyond a simple advice.

That's not true. The WiBs still don't know what we look like, and neither do the "-less" fighters, from what we know. Because we fight while masked, we might be able to investigate in secret where Guo Fu and Yandi would be quickly recognized. Guo Fu might be able to handle himself, but his wife can't, and these people that we're dealing with are far more dangerous than the corrupt official who kidnapped his wife. The person who is best able to help us is Qilin, and I'd rather tell her about everything in private, particularly because she'll be fighting Nameless tomorrow.

treave, could we have an option to tell Qilin (and only Qilin) what's going on after everybody leaves?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If you want, but bear in mind that if you want to get anything useful out of her and her alone, you will be asking her to do you a favour - she certainly doesn't care if Nameless is actually your foe and it has nothing to do with her goals here, which are already accomplished. Appeal to her busybody nature works better when everyone else has something to contribute and she might feel compelled to speak up just so that she isn't left out of a fun plan.

That will be D, then. Nothing comes for free. Every choice has its price.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
Excellent, the crowd and the Huashan fucking hate us.
No they don't. The crowd cheered for us.
Much of the crowd is laughing and whistling, but there are also shouts of outrage and indignation from the Huashan disciples.
Then, when their former champion comes to the rescue, they cheer fo him, because we are the smaller fish in the pond.
The crowd breaks out into loud cheers for him as he does so. There are screams of delight from many of the female audience members. His name is being chanted repeatedly, and there are occasional shouts for him to kick your ass. In an instant, he’s gained their adulation, reminding them that he is their former champion.
But it doesn't mean they started to hate us all of a sudden. Once he leaves the scene, they will start applauding us again, because that is how the crowd psychology works.

Huashan disciples - yeah, they hatin'. But we knew this beforehand.

Esquilax said:
I suppose we could push Guo Fu out of the ring with our Chuzhan Fist, but it isn't worth it to me to give away our techniques like that, not with Bai Jiutian watching us.
Bai Jiutian is the new Shulgi.

Seriously, we have a whole year to come into shape for the fight with him, maybe pick a technique or two from Guo Fu or the Sword Saint - the ones he would never know about. Dropping out of the tournament for such a trivial reason is weak.

Esquilax said:
The WiBs still don't know what we look like, and neither do the "-less" fighters, from what we know. Because we fight while masked, we might be able to investigate in secret where Guo Fu and Yandi would be quickly recognized. Guo Fu might be able to handle himself, but his wife can't, and these people that we're dealing with are far more dangerous than the corrupt official who kidnapped his wife.
The WiB had a pretty good look at your face. The do not know about MTP, but they will find out about Guan Shide or a boy with his face if they need to.

I don't understand. What are you afraid of? Do you plan to sick Guo Fu on them? If not, how would they ever know of his existence? You don't plan to have him on an active investigation duty, do you?

You would not expose them to the danger by telling what is going on. It would be their choice.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Something to note: all quarterfinal and semifinal matches are run consecutively, not simultaneously, so you will be able to observe all matches.

As for odds, Su Liaojing is favoured to beat Nie Shuixian, Nameless is strongly favoured to beat Xiaoxiang, Xuzhan is given the slight edge over Yifang, and you have slightly better odds over Guo Fu, according to the bookmakers. You can have Cao'er place bets if you want.

Though Guo Fu's victories have been very impressive, you are beginning to gain the reputation of an unpredictable fighter, and people are starting to believe that you will pull off something tomorrow. They don't know what you're going to do, but you're going to do something.

Your better odds are thus based upon wishful thinking, mistaken speculation, and baseless assumption. Rather fitting for a Codex character. :troll:

Tigranes

Arcane
Bah. C wasn't a disaster (unless having the crowd on our side vs. Bal is going to be important later on, which it could be), but I think we're way too hung up about winning the tournament when all of the gains are speculative, circumstantial and in the end not very crucial. Now the next fight is against Guo Fu which doesn't even have anything to do with Zhang's mission or Shun's, and given his neiggong we are never going to beat him without using our skills. Given that treave just said all matches are now simultaneous, if we were knocked out we'd be able to watch the ones that actually mattered, instead of participating in ones that dont'. Furthermore, as I pointed out before, more and more people are becoming aware of us and are beginning to connect the dots and put MTP/Guan under scrutiny; if we were to pull any fancy shit off against Guo Fu and get to the semi finals we might as well start singing Zhang Jue Zhang Jue right now. I think we should mentally prepare to lose the next match instead of losing our cool and just picking choices to try and win.

As for the current vote, Cao'er can be trusted, Guo Fu can probably be trusted, Murong Yandi can perhaps be trusted, Qilin can hardly be 'trusted' but may not screw us over that much. I don't think it's so important to hold onto our secret identity anymore with these folks, as I noted above we're not exactly incognito anymore, but I wonder about suddenly revealing everything to so many people. treave are we even telling them about Shun's mission and our original identity, or just that we are looking for WiB and we are Zhang's apprentice?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Given that treave just said all matches are now simultaneous, if we were knocked out we'd be able to watch the ones that actually mattered, instead of participating in ones that dont'.

Something to note: all quarterfinal and semifinal matches are run consecutively, not simultaneously, so you will be able to observe all matches.

:M

treave are we even telling them about Shun's mission and our original identity, or just that we are looking for WiB and we are Zhang's apprentice?

You'll only tell them about the people in black and their use of Zhang Jue's disciple's name, and let them discuss the matter freely to see what they come up with. There's no real need to reveal your identity for now, and the character will never tell anyone that he is from the palace with a mission unless it is a matter of life or death for someone important to him.

ScubaV

Prophet
treave do either of the fighters we beat or are any of the sect fighters remaining good enough to qualify for Zhang's quest? Yiling perhaps? It seems she was probably the favorite to win it all until we beat her.

Nevill

Arcane
treave do either of the fighters we beat or are any of the sect fighters remaining good enough to qualify for Zhang's quest? Yiling perhaps? It seems she was probably the favorite to win it all until we beat her.
Both of the opponents we have beaten qualify.
By the end of it, you surmise that there are a few names to look out for at the competition, young pugilists who have made their names by performing great deeds despite their youth.

Taishan’s Seven Heroic Youths, said to be the best young fighters of the school. You do not remember their names, as they tend to be referred to as a group. Even the monks do not recall their names.

The Twin Flowers of Huashan; Nie Mudan and Nie Shuixian, who are adopted daughters of the sect leader Nie Wuxing.

Murong Yandi, the disciple of the man said to be the best swordsman in the world, Shangguan Chuji.

Su Liaojing of Kunlun, a youth that is said to have the potential to become the next head of the sect.

The Three Brothers of Wudang, Wu Jin, Wu Yin and Wu Tong, are seen as a major force in the competition.

Of Emei, they think the nun Yiling will prove to be an obstacle – she had a close run for champion the last year. When the conversation turns to Shaolin, Xuzhan says embarrassedly that he is considered one of the front-runners for his temple, along with his brothers-in-monkhood, Xuzheng and Xuzhu.

The Beggars have sent a few representatives, but there does not seem to be any fighters of renown amongst them.
Of the rest, everyone from the Eight qualifies.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yiling was considered a favourite this year, but Yifang has shown off much better skill and has breezed through against above average fighters. She'll be one of your targets. Of the other fighters, Su Liaojing of Kunlun and Xuzhan of Shaolin will also qualify if you meet them.

Guo Fu has interesting possibilities. He beat the eldest of the Wudang Trio and also defeated Murong Yandi, who took out four of the Taishan Seven single-handedly. His feats have earned him a fair amount of respect from the sect elders watching, who are not as taken in by flashy moves as the crowd or the younger disciples. If he is taken in by any of the Eight Sects now, which is his aim in coming here, he would be instantly considered as one of the strongest young fighters there. He is not technically part of the quest right now, but he could be in the future.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bros if we're intent on beating Guo Fu, we should go judo-grapple-rassling on him. Using his strength against him might be the only thing that'd work.
treave, do we have any info on Pu'er? As in, any measure of her smarts, intellect, knowledge, whether she can take care of herself, and so on?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom