Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Absinthe

Arcane
Flopping to to B as well.

Esquilax

Arcane
C is just too damn bromantic. I'm just not sure if Yandi is a BROdere who never knew of true BROhood, or an unbro uncapable of BRO.

But we also came here to win and that means he will soon be our opponent. Which means we'd better know more of him than he does of us.

Fuck it, we came here to win. Flopping to B. If you can't trust a demonic horse-rabbit, who can you trust?

Actually, I'm a horse with the head of a rabbit, and the body... of a rabbit. Just as you flopped, I started thinking of possible reasons for C on my way back home:

Murong Yandi, the disciple of the man said to be the best swordsman in the world, Shangguan Chuji.
On the other hand, it may be a good opportunity for you to get to know the Sword Saint’s disciple. His master is one of the wielders of the Ten Great Swords – this may prove to be a useful contact in the future. Besides that, you are certain that the farmer boy would not be fighting in a team.

Attention is a double-edged sword, but one thing I can guarantee is that the Sword Saint is watching the team battle going on right now. An impressive performance on our part could attract a lot of attention from our competitors, but it could also attract interest from the greatest swordsman in the world. Master Zhang is one hell of an instructor and he's been instrumental in turning us into a goddamn machine - his brutality and savagery notwithstanding, I don't think there's a better person out there to help us fulfill our potential. However, I don't think that he alone can teach us everything:

The Southern Maniac had plenty of techniques, and all of them were ones designed to kill. He was less of a swordsman, preferring to relish in flesh-to-flesh contact, though it did not mean he was not handy with a sword.

The Sword Saint seems like the type of man who could actually teach us a few techniques with a blade (and perhaps with the Yuchang Sword) - right now, we only have the self-taught technique we formed back in Songfeng. Maybe a nice display of teamwork would draw his attention to us. Of course, trying to learn some techniques with the Saint would probably entail that we remain anonymous, as there's no way he'd teach an apprentice of Zhang Jue. He'd also have some knowledge to impart about the Yuchang Sword too.

A major downside is that we're actually not required to beat the Sword Saint's disciple at all, as he's not part of one of the Eight Sects. He's a frustrating opponent in that he brings us no closer to achieving Zhang's challenge, but he's a huge obstacle to our success at the tournament. Beating him is kinda hollow, if you think about it. Maybe arranging for him to lose later on to someone else would be better?

Hell, a viable strategy could be to vote A to figure out the Taishan formation, work our way up, then lose to Murong Yandi because beating him doesn't really get us further in Zhang's challenge.

Still, I'm going to stay with B because our goal in coming here was to call these fuckers out while revealing as little as possible about our techniques. Even if Murong Yandi isn't on Zhang's hitlist, he's in our way, and that means we probably have to beat him.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Attention is a double-edged sword, but one thing I can guarantee is that the Sword Saint is watching the team battle going on right now. An impressive performance on our part could attract a lot of from our competitors, but it could also attract interest from the greatest swordsman in the world. Master Zhang is one hell of an instructor and he's been instrumental in turning us into a goddamn machine - his brutality and savagery notwithstanding, I don't think there's a better person out there to help us fulfill our potential. However, I don't think that he alone can teach us everything:

The Southern Maniac had plenty of techniques, and all of them were ones designed to kill. He was less of a swordsman, preferring to relish in flesh-to-flesh contact, though it did not mean he was not handy with a sword.

The Sword Saint seems like the type of man who could actually teach us a few techniques with a blade (and perhaps with the Yuchang Sword) - right now, we only have the self-taught technique we formed back in Songfeng. Maybe a nice display of teamwork would draw his attention to us. Of course, trying to learn some techniques with the Saint would probably entail that we remain anonymous, as there's no way he'd teach an apprentice of Zhang Jue. He'd also have some knowledge to impart about the Yuchang Sword too.
That's quite the assumption to make about someone we have never met before. On the other hand, his sword only accepts the purest and best people as it's wielders, so it may be a possibility.
A major downside is that we're actually not required to beat the Sword Saint's disciple at all, as he's not part of one of the Eight Sects. He's a frustrating opponent in that he brings us no closer to achieving Zhang's challenge, but he's a huge obstacle to our success at the tournament. Beating him is kinda hollow, if you think about it. Maybe arranging for him to lose later on to someone else would be better?

Hell, a viable strategy could be to vote A to figure out the Taishan formation, work our way up, then lose to Murong Yandi because beating him doesn't really get us further in Zhang's challenge.
It's not part of our objective, but Yandi is, nevertheless, the apprentice of the greatest swordsman alive. While defeating him certainly won't count to our original goal, it will be a major bonus in Zhang's eyes. Especially if we beat him with just our fists. :smug:

I'm honestly kind of ambivalent on buttering up the Sword Saint for that training: the Emei have the manual for the Yuchang, and since it's one of their artifacts, they definitely have some lore on it; to even make him consider teaching us some sword skills, we need to show him we're actually good with a sword (I sincerely doubt he'll show us anything if he considers us to be a novice swordsman), which means revealing our aptitudes to the competition. Since they way we're going right now suggests an awesome Dark Horse victory, we'd be better off keeping most of our tricks in reserve to surprise our enemies.
Lastly, I really want that all-on-one challenge, let them come at us. We can take 'em.

Well, between B and C I prefer the option where we do some work ourselves. Our int and per, while above average, just aren't that great, so there is only so much we could learn from just watching others fight (that was one of the reasons we chose to participate instead of spectate in the first place). By doing some fighting here we could learn more about the monk team and the sword boy (though admittedly at the expense of making ourselves somewhat more visible). And it does sound like a less riskier proposition than letting him fight all alone. Sure, he might be more butthurt about it, but one of the reasons he was send in the team fights was precisely to teach him some teamwork - both we and he could get some points from his master that way.

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, between B and C I prefer the option where we do some work ourselves.
Dude, fuck that, we're on vacation. I've yet to fathom why Jing isn't in some seedy brothel partying it up with hookers and blow.
Oh right, we went to save Yao and Cao'er and picked Stealthy Jing. Yay us.

Yeah, but now that we are not in a brothel we might as well do some work. And by work I mean "kick somebody in the face because we are not in a brothel". Just standing on the sideline watching others fight sounds boring - I fucking hate watching sports.

kazgar

Arcane
but its marathon, not a sprint, lets not risk a hamstring on the first round when someone else will do the work, and save our bruises for when they'll matter.

Baltika9

Arcane
But kicking them in the face won't turn them into hookers or blow, so how does that solve our problem?
Might as well use that to our advantage, then. If there's anything more terrifying than the Mad Tiger, it's the Mad Tiger with blue balls.
:troll:
We will be unstoppable.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
B wins it, then.

Also, I took the liberty of rolling the tournament brackets. Let's just say you guys have no luck. :lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Good question. What one man sees as misfortune another man may see as opportunity. Well, the next update will come with an image of the brackets, so you may interpret the draw for yourself.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Sword Saint’s Disciple

“Feel free.” You give a wide gesture at the Taishan disciples, inviting Murong Yandi to help himself. With a sombre nod and a word of thanks, he steps forward as you retreat. “Can he handle it?” asks Guo Fu concernedly, rubbing his neck. “If he can’t, we’ll go to his aid,” you reply. “Xiaoxiang, did the tournament officials issue you with any throwing weapons?”

Qilin shakes her head. “No, but they gave me some pebbles when I asked.”

“You could have used it to help us out just now.”

“Oh, the two of you were handling yourselves pretty well. I didn’t see the need to interfere.”

“If Murong doesn’t beat them, I’ll need you to back us up. Guo Fu will make the initial charge, you will keep them distracted with the pebbles, and I’ll pick them off,” you say quickly. “It’s a simple tactic, I think we can pull it off.”

“Yes, sir,” says Guo, while Qilin only smiles at you.

You turn your attention back to Murong Yandi, who is confronting the Taishan formation. His sword is tucked at his waist. He is standing with his arms held to his side, his pose calm and sturdy. The Taishan disciples move as one, surging forward as their feet patter in complex movements.

Murong Yandi is faster. In a flash he has drawn his sword, raising it up high and gripping the hilt with both hands. As he brings it down hard, well before the Taishan fighters have reached him, you can see a faint ripple trailing along the sword’s movement in the air.

Sword qi. He is channeling his inner strength into the sword, using it as a conduit to extend his reach. A tangible, barely visible pressure emanates from his blade like a visible gust of shimmering wind. It roars forward and hits Taishan Two and Three before they can get out of the way. They are thrown backwards by the force, knocking them clear out of the ring. You had heard that skilled swordsmen could cut their targets without touching them physically with a sword, but this was the first time you had seen sword qi in action. The remaining two pause in shock.

Murong Yandi does not stop. He closes the distance, as swift as a snake, and thrusts his sword into Taishan Four’s abdomen. Although the blade does not pierce flesh, a ragged hole is torn in Taishan Four’s clothes where he struck, as Murong Yandi channels his sword qi to augment his thrust. Taishan Four falls to him, and he turns to take on Taishan One. Before you know it, the match is over, with Taishan One kneeling in surrender.

For some reason, you can feel your fingers twitching in anticipation. The swordsman is fast, true enough, but you think you might just be a little faster. Pitting your skills against him should teach you some interesting tricks - you are already beginning to wonder how you can overcome his sword energy.

The tournament official, slightly flabbergasted at Murong’s swift victory, declares your team the winner of the match. The Taishan disciples hobble off, looking fearfully at the Sword Saint’s disciple as they leave.

You whistle as Murong comes back to the team. “Those were some really fancy moves. What did they say to get you so angry?” He scowls slightly, shaking his head. “I am still nothing compared to my master, and I would prefer not to gossip about their rude behaviour.”

“Fair enough, Young Master Murong. By the way, if you can beat four of the Taishan Seven Heroic Youths so easily, why haven’t you won the tournament before this?” you ask.

To your surprise, Murong Yandi flushes slightly. “I-It’s my first time participating in a public tournament. I only joined this year because I desired to fight the famous Bai Jiutian, but to my disappointment he did not participate.”

You suppose he harbours some slight feelings of rivalry towards the Huashan swordsman said to be the best of your generation. As the disciple of the swordsman who is the best of his generation – indeed, the best of any current living generation – he would definitely have to surpass Bai Jiutian to be acknowledged as a pupil worthy of his master.

The remaining two matches go by extremely quickly. After Murong Yandi’s display of power, a dejected despair set itself in the remaining competitors in your group. The two matches were solved by merely having Guo Fu toss them out of the ring. Taishan also beat the other two schools, but by the end of the day the result was clear: you would be advancing into the elimination finals.

The winners of the preliminary stages are called into the main hall to draw the lots for the tournament brackets. Each contestant’s name would be called out, and a number would be drawn to determine their position in the bracket. Looking around, you can see a few familiar faces. Xuzhan and three of his monk friends are present. So are Yifang and the Emei nuns, though Cao’er is not around. You note the Three Wudang Brothers have made it, standing with dignity in their Taoist robes. A sole young beggar is scratching his behind shamelessly at the back of the hall. Interestingly, there are also three other participants besides you in animal masks – a tiger, a wolf and a cock.

As the drawing begins, Qilin stands on the tip of her toes and whispers sweetly in your ear, “Don’t drink the water from tomorrow onwards.”

The contestants’ names are called out one by one, and strips of cloth bearing their name are pinned on the great wooden board as they receive their numbers. One by one, the first matches for tomorrow are filled up.

“Hm, I’m facing the beggar,” mutters Qilin. “He should be able to take something stronger.”

Your name is called. Then, your number is drawn. They pin your cloth on the board, next to Yiling of Emei – the nun that had come in second in last year’s tournament.

“Ooh, good luck,” giggles Qilin. You sigh underneath the mask.

When the drawing is complete, you peer at the board, taking note of the people you know.

You exit the tournament area separately from the others. Finding a quiet, deserted alley, you quickly remove the mask and shove it into your garments. The sun is setting and soon the streets will be dark, though the city is lively at all times of the day. Suddenly, you hear a loud cry from behind you.

Turning around, you see a person garbed entirely in black, even though it’s still light. They raise their hand to strike at you. You instinctively parry their attack, knocking their arm aside. You can see slight surprise in the person’s uncovered eyes that you deflected their blow so easily.

“Somebody stop that bastard!” shouts someone else. As a man garbed in the yellow Kunlun uniform rush in, the person-in-black laughs. You cannot tell whether it is a man or a woman. In a thin, reedy voice, they proclaim, “Foolish do-gooders. I am the disciple of Zhang Jue! You will never capture me so easily!” You hold back an urge to declare that you’re his disciple. “You attacked me,” shouts the man. “You’re not getting off that easily, regardless of who you are to the Southern Maniac!”

With another laugh, the person-in-black leaps up a nearby building and runs. The Kunlun disciple attempts to give chase, but collapses from his injuries. You are about to go and help him, but a group of orthodox sect members are already coming to his aid.

What a troublesome encounter. You had actually planned to secretly drop by where the Emei was staying and get into contact with Cao’er so that you could prepare for your match with the nun Yiling tomorrow. She should know a thing or two. Unfortunately, you also feel like you should go after this strange impostor immediately before you get framed for worse matters. This could be related to the invite that Master Zhang received - as the Abbess had said, it was unusual for the tournament committee to do so. You’re afraid that if you give chase, however, you will run out of time to dredge up information about your next opponent, and would have to rely on what you can find out tomorrow morning before the match.

A. Go after the impostor and attempt to find out what is going on.

B. Meet up with Cao’er to discuss Yiling - your match is more important.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
31st Young Tigers Martial Arts Competition

zRUH55M.png

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Huh. I didn't know he was THAT powerful. Also:

First shadow wolf and now Nameless Tiger. Someone is trolling us.
treave said:
Interestingly, there are also three other participants besides you in animal masks – a tiger, a wolf and a cock.
There is a message hidden there somewhere.

Nevill

Arcane
All right, so judging by the brackets, we are against Yiling, followed by Nie Mudan, then Sword Saint's disciple, and then who? Emei and Taishan would prove no obstacle if we beat Yiling and Yandi. So we need to worry about Shaolin monks, Kunlun disciple, or Ma Youxuan, whomever he is.

We should be able to defeat Yiling with the information from Cao'er, and we will need to ask Qilin to poison feed laxatives to Yandi, because I see no way to defeat him otherwise. I think whatever the imposter does, it will not harm your reputation among the orthodox sects too much, since it is far in the negatives already. It might prove troublesome to reveal ourselves if something particularly bad happens, but for the moment I want to concentrate on the tournament.

B.

Also, Nameless, Shapeless and Faceless. Don't like these guys. We know that at the previous tournament, all 32 finalists were from the major orthodox sects. That all 3 of them made it to the finals means that there is a force at play that rivals the major sects in power, and I don't like the sound of it one bit.

Last edited:
Voting A.

I'm just too curious - is this really a part of some kind of plot, a propaganda work against the Maniac and us since his apprentice (apparently) didn't show up to make trouble? Or is it some random twat trolling people or trying to get the Maniac to notice them? Or maybe a trap for us - pretend to be the apprentice to make us follow them into a trap (though the surprise when we deflected the attack would indicate against this)? I want to know. Either way, it would be useful to put a stop to this if we don't want our reputation dragged through shit (even more). That way, if we choose to declare ourselves as the apprentice in the end, we won't have to face the consequences of what this asshole is doing now.

B could be useful, but of all sects Emei is probably the one we have the most experience with and we know many of their signature techniques. Sure, somebody like Yiling could also be counted on having something extra we haven't seen before, but I don't know how much could Cao'er help us with that. She has only been around Yiling for a couple of weeks now at most, would she really know something useful about her that we don't already know from repeatedly fighting Emei hit squad?

Also, Nameless, Shapeless and Faceless. Don't like these guys. We know that at the previous tournament, all 32 finalists were from the major orthodox sects. That all 3 of them made it to the finals means that there is a force at play that rivals the major sects in power, and I don't like the sound of it one bit.
Nameless and Shapeless are going against each other next. That could be an interesting fight to spectate.

Nevill

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
I'm just too curious - is this really a part of some kind of plot, a propaganda work against the Maniac and us since his apprentice (apparently) didn't show up to make trouble?
I am suspecting that there is a major assasination coming up, and there needs to be someone around to put the blame on. Who is on this 'committee', anyway?

Zero Credibility said:
Or is it some random twat trolling people or trying to get the Maniac to notice them?
:hahano:

Last edited:
I am suspecting that there is a major assasination coming up, and there needs to be someone around to put the blame on. Who is on this 'commetee', anyway?
Could be, could be. The Maniac could be pissed off if they used his name in a setup like that (if he wouldn't just be amused - but nobody would want to take that risk), but his apprentice might just be fair game. All the more reason to find out who is behind this and put a stop to it if we can.

Nevill

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
She has only been around Yiling for a couple of weeks now at most, would she really know something useful about her that we don't already know from repeatedly fighting Emei hit squad?
I would presume that Cao'er keeps close to the Abbess, and the Abbess oversees the training matches of her best student personally, if not trains her outright. So I bet Cao'er knows something about it.

Yiling is the most dangerous of our competitors, safe for the Sword Saint's disciple. You can't turn away from that fact just because you defended yourself really well against some aging nuns on your home territory.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A.

Wonder if it's connected to the larger issue at hand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom