Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Kipeci

Arcane
No, guys, we got this! All we need to do is get Jing to live forever and we'll have all the counters we need against foreign martial arts. Just stop the teaching, Jing can perfectly well be a practitioner.

A.

skaraher

Cipher
Is that how you want it to play ? Hoes before Bros ?

Shun's our bro. The first of all of them, the first to care. He send us with a mission, break the Jianghu's back and we will accomplish it no matter the cost. Anyone suggesting otherwise should be ashamed. Did you not see the Nie's machination ? The Zhang's rise to power ? Did you not see Yang Xue become the monster he was ? You want to become like him ?

We could strike and kill Shun here and now. He's just a man, after all. But the cycle would continue.

Bros before Hoes.

A

Esquilax

Arcane
And this is how Xu Jing becomes the God of War, thus becoming even more of a threat than the childhood friend whom he defeated.

What the fuck is wrong with you guys? Put Shun's cock back in your mouths right now! Voting A to go against you dishonorable wretches. Shun is infallible, he is the Emperor.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jianghu's back is the back of China. Anyone suggesting to break it is sabotaging the country.

The zhang's rise to power didn't have much to do with martial arts. They were a political force, first, and a martial force, second, if not tenth. When they started to lose the former, they have bet on the latter - simple as that.

Nie's machinations have a lot to do with zhangs and rotten political situation.

And don't even have me started on Yang Xue. It was Li Ming who birthed that monster with his depravity and betrayal. Jianghu had nothing to do with it. In fact, it was the pugilists that saved the country from Yang Xue, to their detriment, it seems.

If the rumors about the manuals weren't released into jianghu by none other than Shun, the bloodshed wouldn't have happened. He provoked much of it, and is now placing blame. Not cool.

Esquilax

Arcane
Shun's our bro. The first of all of them, the first to care. He send us with a mission, break the Jianghu's back and we will accomplish it no matter the cost. Anyone suggesting otherwise should be ashamed. Did you not see the Nie's machination ? The Zhang's rise to power ? Did you not see Yang Xue become the monster he was ? You want to become like him ?

We could strike and kill Shun here and now. He's just a man, after all. But the cycle would continue.

Shun has always been our friend, but he did send us on this mission with a hidden agenda in mind. His goal all along was to dismantle the pugilistic sects, so it's not like he's been 100% honest with us either.

ChumBucket

Augur
I quite frankinly can see either path leading to the God of War end.... but Jing has always riled against authorty and would not be happy with one person having it. I believe this is even more true to the core of his being than the reason he told the sword demon. That is not to say he doesn't respect authority, but it has to be earned in his mind. If it is too centralized it will be obtained without being earned by the person who wields it. The more segregated power is, the harder it is to corrupt. I will vote B.

skaraher

Cipher
Jianghu's back is the back of China. Anyone suggesting to break it is sabotaging the country.

The zhang's rise to power didn't have much to do with martial arts. They were a political force, first, and a martial force, second, if not tenth. When they started to lose the former, they have bet on the latter - simple as that.

Nie's machinations have a lot to do with zhangs and rotten political situation.

And don't even have me started on Yang Xue. It was Li Ming who birthed that monster with his depravity and betrayal. Jianghu had nothing to do with it. In fact, it was the pugilists that saved the country from Yang Xue, to their detriment, it seems.

If the rumors about the manuals weren't released into jianghu by none other than Shun, the bloodshed wouldn't have happened. He provoked much of it, and is now placing blame. Not cool.

Discussing motives is irrelevant. Zhang's clan became the menace they were thanks to the jianghu. The Nies show that you can't risk let what are essentially independant paramilitary forces fall in the hands of corrupt douche like Wuxing. Yang Xue couldn't achieve the destruction potential he had without martial arts.

Attacking Shun would just plunge the realm in civil war between the sects and the imperial forces. We would lose everything we fought to protect. We didn't fought for people's right to learn martial arts, we fought to protect them. Not throw their lives away needlessly because we didn't like someone with far more responsibilities than us plotting for the greater good.

Shun has always been our friend, but he did send us on this mission with a hidden agenda in mind. His goal all along was to dismantle the pugilistic sects, so it's not like he's been 100% honest with us either.

I've followed this LP from the start and it seemed clear to me that Shun send us because he feared a Jianghu rising against imperial power. Which would exactly happen (and prove he is right) if we attack him.

Remember why we fight ? "For those who depend on us."

Tribute

Arbiter
And who depends on us more at this point? The Emperor - the most powerful man in the realm - or our family?

Nevill

Arcane
No, the motives are highly relevant.

Jianghu has risen to power because the country was plunged into a chaos of a civil war and its ruler didn't care about it one bit. If Shun is afraid of that scenario, the correct way to never let it happen again is to make sure the government does its duty. Then the sects will only be arts schools, and nothing more.

If he does that, he has nothing to fear from the sects. If he does not do that, the sects will take control over the country, since someone has to lead and maintain order. If he does not do that and destroys the sects to boot, then the country is done for.

Destroying jianghu leaves no auxillary power source, no safeguard against corruption. It is a crime.

'Attacking Shun would plunge the realm in civil war', but isn't it Shun who is determined to attack and kill the pugilists, not the other way around? It comes down to whether you believe it it better to comply with committing a crime or rebel and resist at a great cost.

It is in his power to stop that from happening. He is trying to start a war, not us.

Also, some bro he is, giving Yao and Miecao away as hostages. Tell me more about the greater good built on the bones of our people. I find it very fascinating. :rpgcodex:

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
I think our family's due to be in a bad shape if we attack the Emperor. For all the might of the sects, if the imperial army is mobilized against them directly they will lose, especially since Shun has vastly improved the running of the empire.

Also, if Shun won against super Yang Xue I don't know if I envy our odds...

Kipeci

Arcane
That's all the more reason not to attack him.

I see no reason not to go along with this. He was an asshole for the business with Zhang, I guess, but none of that affects Jing negatively. Martial arts aren't being stripped from current practioners and if we intend on living for centuries later we could take on pupils as need be later if things do deteriorate.

Jester

Arbiter
Ok lets see:
A - Huge civil war (i dont believe that war can be avoided), no more fun-kfu, other countries will have super people monopoly, easy dictatorship and we know many people on receiving end. Pluses are potential death fight with Zhang Jue for title of manliest under sun, Brother need us, China will switch research to gunpowder and roles between west and east would reverse. Anything else? Possible world wide empire.

B - We oppose our Broest of Bros, limitation penalties to research, civil war. Pluses we get dashing rebel rogue title, Ironshaft and Wang will be proud, unlikely that we will have to kill our wife colection, china will be less damaged perhaps and bad ass country history.

Hmm as for my vote B.
It might be stupid, but i think its situation like with disposing of emperor. Shun dont want to do it, but believes that its better for country. A is fine long term move, but i dont think its doable. Short term collapse is highly possible.

(Jing can use badass line like "I have to oppose my Emperor, to protect my friend Shun Li" although A is badass in itself.)

Nevill

Arcane
My understanding is that Jianghu and the Court exist in harmony and opposition to each other. When the government collapsed during the civil war, the orthodox sects under Wang Zhengchong helped hold the country together. As the government grew more corrupt, its power weakened, and pugilists grew stronger.

A generation have passed. This time, the sects grew corrupt, culminating with Nie Wuxing claiming the leadership after Wang's death. Yet the government changed for the better (I think) and helped jianghu cleanse itself, restoring balance and once again preventing the country from being torn apart from the inside.

They are supporting each other. For now, the government's hold over the land will begin to increase, and the pugilists will weaken. Why is this cycle so bad?

If the cycle is broken, and the government missteps again (as Shun is not immortal, and we can't hope his children will inherit his wits), what would be there to steady the country?

Kipeci

Arcane
Weren't the pugilists picking and choosing sides during the collapse of the government and thus contributing to the problem? It wasn't as if the pugilistic orders didn't profit from their increased prominence.

treave, is it not possible to try to take a third option here? I think that the sects do need to be reigned in/centralized, but not quite destroyed. It is possible that Shun or other emperors might again require their skills... however, any random jerk with a bit of coin shouldn't be able to learn how to near instantly demolish dozens and dozens of trained and armed soldiers.

Maybe persuade the more religious orders to stick to that role while the more money-oriented can be paid off to solely teach their skills to selected military officers or agents, I guess.

Nevill

Arcane
Logic aside, there are a lot of more sentimental reasons I don't want to go along with Shun's proposal.

Our whole life was centered around jianghu. All of our girls we've met in combat or after a fight. It is the way our master have taught us, the way we have made all of our friendships and gained all our responsibilities. What right do we have to deny that to the others?

I am not about to explain to Guo Fu that Wang Zhengchong, whom he named his son after, or the monk who helped him save his wife from a corrupt official were abberrations that are not supposed to exist in the new world.

I am not about to explain to Song Lingshu that everything she went through was for nothing, and that she has to abandon everything she lived for so far.

I am not about to explain to Amesha Spenta that they are the last of their kind and that they have to come up with a new religion, one that does not have fighters.

And I am not about to gloat at Bai Jiutian who has sacrificed everything to get to a position she is currently in.

There is no explaining that. We will have to fight (and probably kill) most of these people, if not all of them. Fuck this.

Weren't the pugilists picking and choosing sides during the collapse of the government and thus contributing to the problem? It wasn't as if the pugilistic orders didn't profit from their increased prominence.
Don't remember that one. I don't think they even participated in the civil war. Qi Liuwu have fled to jianghu precisely because it chose to stay away from that mess.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Wow. Shun really is a retard. Instead of, y'know, using the martial arts to strengthen his army, demand mandatory military service from pugilists or just make the sects completely government-owned as another military force, he just wants to exterminate martial arts in general. Moreover, even if we do go along with it, there will still be a civil war. Have fun making the Shaolin stop practicing martial arts.

The answer is clear: B. As the disciple of LORD Zhang Jue, it is our solemn duty to keep martial arts alive. All we need to do is wait until he returns from bitchslapping Europe. Then we win.

Tribute

Arbiter
treave, is it not possible to try to take a third option here? I think that the sects do need to be reigned in/centralized, but not quite destroyed. It is possible that Shun or other emperors might again require their skills... however, any random jerk with a bit of coin shouldn't be able to learn how to near instantly demolish dozens and dozens of trained and armed soldiers.
I seem to remember treave saying that soldiers are going to beat martial artists in any sort of proper battle, barring the insanely powerful types like Yang Xue, Xuezi, or Ahura.

Nevill

Arcane
I seem to remember treave saying that soldiers are going to beat martial artists in any sort of proper battle, barring the insanely powerful types like Yang Xue, Xuezi, or Ahura.
Well, they somehow held against the foreign invaders 40 years ago where the regular armies were broken.

They fight differently, but it does not mean they don't pack a punch as irregulars or guerilla fighters.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I think it was more like that martial artist were more powerful combatants in 1 vs 1, but soldiers we more adept fighting in formations and more organized in large scale battles.

Goverments in past have generally tried to deny normal citiziens any power in military terms by banning weapons as well other kind of dickery. People will start developing diffrent martial art techniques even if we try to bring big eight down and all those small schools like songfeng. This might be especially bad if some big shots from eight sect flee from china and start new hueshan or wudang school in new foreign country...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom