Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Elfberserker, we're not used to shouting orders in situations like these, though. Even if we can hold our composure better than most with something like that, we're already operating at a disadvantage, and this would only create another disadvantage.

Worst case scenario, Bai Jiutian provokes an arm reflex from Jing with killing intent and a move that comes too close for comfort, and we auto-lose for engaging as tactician.

D is just fail.

Where does it says that Bai Jiutian is radiating killing intent? I would assume it to be bad form to radiate killing intent in mock duel.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If that sort of training doesn't gave us nerve of steel then I do not know what kind of training could preapere ourself to that
Nerves of steel are fine. It does not, however, provide us the sort of mental concentration that would help us not to fall asleep at history lessons.

Does our training affect our ability to keep concentrating on our qi, command a battle, keep everyone in sight and throw ourselves into the mix now and then - all at the same time?

I don't know. I see no connection between one and the other.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
The following pressures will be on Jing with a D vote:

Bai Jiutian
Being caught between Chixiao and Tai'e swords

To top it off, Jing cannot really afford to let his attention waver from the Chengying Sword.

Even if Jing can handle the pressure as a person, he's not at a level where his ability to strategize would remain unimpeded.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
If that sort of training doesn't gave us nerve of steel then I do not know what kind of training could preapere ourself to that
Nerves of steel are fine. It does not, however, provide us the sort of mental concentration not to fall asleep at history lessons.

Does it affect our ability to keep concentrating on our qi, command a battle, keep everyone in sight and throw ourselves into the mix now and then simultaneously?

I don't know. I see no connection between one and the other.

It does affect our ability to concentrate in such high risk high reward situations.
Keep in mind that opponents moves are also disturbed by human shield, so they are not excactly free to do as they please.

We have been able to think clearly in highly dangerous situations since we left the palace. I don't see how it would change in this situation.

The following pressures will be on Jing with a D vote:

Bai Jiutian
Being caught between Chixiao and Tai'e swords

To top it off, Jing cannot really afford to let his attention waver from the Chengying Sword.

Even if Jing can handle the pressure as a person, he's not at a level where his ability to strategize would remain unimpeded.

Why not?
Xu Jing has shown good tactical thinking and out of the box line of thinking in dangerous situation.
We have to remember that at these people are highly skilled orthodox fighters and they don't have blatant disregard for rules like we do.

I Myself I am more worried about the girls getting attacked by Bai Jiutian while they are running towards and past Nie wuxing rather than having fighters jumping around us.

Nevill

Arcane
They try to quickly as they can to move past Nie wuxing hence turning their back to enemy.
Eh, you see what you want to see. There was a concern that 'turning our back' to BJ during our retreat from Banhe town would end with a sword in our back, too. Nothing of a sort happened, and we managed to fight her off successfully as she pursued us.

You say that Wuxing will be able to react and use that opening against us - which I doubt, since no one have attempted this before, and the man has trouble adapting, as we've seen several times - but we are also there to spot and counter it. In the end, it is just a choice of overall strategy, there is no need to fret over each single step and think up Shulgi scenarios.

We have been able to think clearly in highly dangerous situations since we left the palace. I don't see how it would change in this situation.
I don't see this situation as dangerous. I see it as confusing. We can't let our attention waver too much - the moment we lose control over our qi, it will collapse back into chaos, and then it's over. The more distractions there are, the more difficult it is going to be for us:
It is a difficult fight. You find yourself focusing intensely in order to avoid falling behind.

I am not saying it is going to fail, I just see the potential risks involved in it.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Because Jing doesn't have much experience with being a tactician in the first place and he cannot afford to let his attention waver or the Chengying Sword will do bad things.

Where does it says that Bai Jiutian is radiating killing intent? I would assume it to be bad form to radiate killing intent in mock duel.
As long as Bai Jiutian does not actually attack Jing, she wouldn't be breaking the rules. Bai Jiutian's personal animosity with Jing is known, and she can get away with it by saying it only happened because we were the ones trying to play dirty, and she just couldn't restrain her hostile intent being so near us.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
They try to quickly as they can to move past Nie wuxing hence turning their back to enemy.
Eh, you see what you want to see. There was a concern that 'turning our back' to BJ during our retreat from Banhe town would end with a sword in our back, too. Nothing of a sort happened, and we managed to fight her off successfully as she pursued us.

You say that Wuxing will be able to react and use that opening against us - which I doubt, since no one have attempted this before, and the man has trouble adapting, as we've seen numerous times - but we are also there so spot and counter it. In the end, it is just a choice of overall strategy, there is no need to fret over each single step and think up Shulgi scenarios.

I don't see this situation as dangerous. I see it as confusing. We can't let our attention waver too much - the moment we lose control over our qi, it will collapse back into chaos, and then it's over. The more distractions there are, the more difficult it is going to be for us.

I am not saying it is going to fail, I just see the potential risks involved in it.

There is still a big risk that Nie wuxing will use that mmoment of opportunity when girls are trying damnest to go past him instead fully focused on fighting their opponents. Nie wuxing might not be most smartest or adaptile creature in world, but he is not stupid and neither inexperienced
It's not like what we are trying some genius like move here, but simple unorthodox line of thinking so I doubt that Nie Wuxing will be that stunned, especially when he expects us to use dirty tricks

Keep in mind that Nie wuxing is as much as human shield as we are in D.
If any of girls accidently hit him while he panics then it's gameover.

Because Jing doesn't have much experience with being a tactician in the first place and he cannot afford to let his attention waver or the Chengying Sword will do bad things.

As long as Bai Jiutian does not actually attack Jing, she wouldn't be breaking the rules. Bai Jiutian's personal animosity with Jing is known, and she can get away with it by saying it only happened because we were the ones trying to play dirty, and she just couldn't restrain her hostile intent being so near us.

You do know that Klling intent can be controlled and others can feel it too? We have Sword Saint to watch over match and I think he is capable enought to smell that kind of bullshit.
Moving fighters towards Nie wuxing is enought to cause alarm with anyone with any brains cells to think we have something more sinistral in our sleeve.
It doesn't matter what our intentitations are or did our fighters hit Nie wuxing, because our reputation is so bad and we do have bad blood with Nie wuxing that people will think that we intentionally put Nie wuxing in danger.
That kind of dickish move , which could be interrepted as intentionally to cause bodily harm or assanation is against spirit of this match and sword saint might think it's pretty dick move so he could disqualifyi us even if he has been pretty bro.

With D there can be no such intention to be shown from us since the fighters are jumping around us. We just have to trust Zhang to not to stap us in the gut with that sword of hers.

Nevill

Arcane
There is still a big risk that Nie wuxing will use that mmoment of opportunity when girls are trying damnest to go past him instead fully focused on fighting their opponents. Nie wuxing might not be most smartest or adaptile creature in world, but he is not stupid and neither inexperienced
As I said, it would be our job to guide them there. It's not like we give a command and then whistle a merry tune, watching the girls fend for themselves.

Keep in mind that Nie wuxing is as much as human shield as we are in D.
Well, in D, we will be purposefully throwing ourselves in a way of our opponent's weapons, as it would be a part of our strategy. Nie Wuxing won't do that.

If any of girls accidently hit him while he panics then it's gameover.
We trace and react to the movements of three opponents already. It will simply add the forth one into the mix.

But yes, I agree that it is, too, a risk. I just hope that the intensive use of WQS will help us predict erratic movements on the part of our opponents and prevent them on the part of our allies, and I also believe he is skilled enough not to get hit even if all our girls tried to kill him on purpose, much less by accident.

Absinthe

Arcane
You do know that Klling intent can be controlled and others can feel it too? We have Sword Saint to watch over match and I think he is capable enought to smell that kind of bullshit.
And he's not going to do jack shit because just killing intent is not breaking any rules and we're the ones who started the dirty tricks anyhow.

Moving fighters towards Nie wuxing is enought to cause alarm with anyone with any brains cells to think we have something more sinistral in our sleeve.
Yes, Nie's adoptive daughters and Song Lingshu are totally going to gut him. No. Come on.

It doesn't matter what our intentitations are or did our fighters hit Nie wuxing, because our reputation is so bad and we do have bad blood with Nie wuxing that people will think that we intentionally put Nie wuxing in danger.
Well no shit, we are intentionally putting him in the middle of the fighting, but we're not attacking him.

That kind of dickish move , which could be interrepted as intentionally to cause bodily harm or assanation is against spirit of this match and sword saint might think it's pretty dick move so he could disqualifyi us even if he has been pretty bro.
There is no way the Huashan Twins would kill their own dad, and Song Lingshu is still an orthodox fighter. That kind of interpretation is really unreasonable. As for the Sword Saint, since we're not breaking any rules, he wouldn't intervene just yet.

With D there can be no such intention to be shown from us since the fighters are jumping around us. We just have to trust Zhang to not to stap us in the gut with that sword of hers.
She wouldn't stab Jing. The problem is that she'd take down fighters on our side of the field, and then we lose.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
It still is pretty dick move and not to mention it does put opposing tactician to danger. It's sword saint duty to see that no rules are broken and stop the game if it goes to direction where we intentionally may seem to cause harm.
We do not excactly have reputation for keeping our end of bargain after betraying our country men to pirates.

Now I know that Sword Saint is pretty bro guy, who is willing to give chance, but he is also a guy who wants to keep everybody alive when he particaptes in something. Combining our previous track record with dealing with orthodox guys who doesn't please us as well his charactice, there is good chance that he blows the whistle when fighters are jumping around Nie wuxing with half directed by us.

I am not saying that we delibratly are trying to kill Nie wuxing, but for some it might seen by that way when fighting happens around him.
We still have to remember that no matter what we intent, our reputation follow us and in this case it doesn't cast us in good light....I mean that as blatant disregard for safety of others in mock duel way.

What I am just trying to say that Sword Saint might stop the game, if it looks like we can't play it safely for other people.
We have so far followed rules of the game without any visible dirty tricks, so far.

Nevill

Arcane
The way I see it, if the fighters are all around him, Wuxing can't react to what is happening behind his back. We make use of the fact that human field of vision is only 180°.

That means that fighters behind his back will always be left without instructions and without counters, and could be easily dispatched.

We don't even have to close the distance and make a shield out of him, it would be enough to just surround him.

What is so dickish and malign about that?

Except for causing him to suffer from an extreme nausia when he spins in place trying to follow the flow of battle, of course.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
I really don't think it will be OMG JING ARE YOU TRYING TO GET ME TO STAB MY OWN DAD. For one thing, each side has to broadcast the actions their minions will take verbally. For another, they're all competent enough to avoid a probably stationery target. Finally, anybody on our side would probably disobey us rather than stab Nie in the face if something bad happens.

CA.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
By putting him middle of fighting?
By intentionally putting him into place where he could get hurt, despite the rules of the game?

I do see the tactical advantages of it, but it does greatly stretch the rules...It stretched the rules far more than I am comfortable with it.
At laest in D there is argument of using ourself as piece even if it puts us into danger.

Since I still don't know where the reply button is I will use bolded words.

Elfberserker said:
And he's not going to do jack shit because just killing intent is not breaking any rules and we're the ones who started the dirty tricks anyhow.

Of course he will interve there. Displaying killing intent means that you are signalling that you are going to gut that motherfucker and Sword Saint will not tolarate any killings in this match.

Yes, Nie's adoptive daughters and Song Lingshu are totally going to gut him. No. Come on.

Well no shit, we are intentionally putting him in the middle of the fighting, but we're not attacking him.

That kind of dickish move , which could be interrepted as intentionally to cause bodily harm or assanation is against spirit of this match and sword saint might think it's pretty dick move so he could disqualifyi us even if he has been pretty bro.​
There is no way the Huashan Twins would kill their own dad, and Song Lingshu is still an orthodox fighter. That kind of interpretation is really unreasonable. As for the Sword Saint, since we're not breaking any rules, he wouldn't intervene just yet.

With D there can be no such intention to be shown from us since the fighters are jumping around us. We just have to trust Zhang to not to stap us in the gut with that sword of hers.​
She wouldn't stab Jing. The problem is that she'd take down fighters on our side of the field, and then we lose.

How unbeliviable it's to think that someone might think that we will intentionally put Niewuxing in danger? He will still be in middle of sword fight where there is a chance he can get hurt.
How unbelievable it can be that by your own words that Xu Jing who has little experience with these type of matches might make honest mistake?
It's in same kind of believable that Zhang moves as well iwith us standing in the middle of the match as well she operated in open field or Bai Jiutian will do dirty tricks for some reason I can't fanthom. It's not like he is getting anything by causing twin to live crippled life.

Nevill

Arcane
Since I still don't know where the reply button is I will use bolded words.
Do you mean the 'quote' button? It's gone, no thanks to the new forum design, but you can still use tags {quote}{/quote} manually (with square brackets).

How unbeliviable it's to think that someone might think that we will intentionally put Niewuxing in danger? He will still be in middle of sword fight where there is a chance he can get hurt.
Who are you talking about? For Guo Fu and Wudang Bros? It's pretty unbelievable. For Su Cheng and Co.? They would accuse you of that, and more, with or without a cause.

For the Saint? If he thought you to be that kind of person, he would never have offered you his arm.

How unbelievable it can be that by your own words that Xu Jing who has little experience with these type of matches might make honest mistake?
It does not matter if we might or might not make a mistake if we do not make it.

For our girls to hurt Wuxing we would have to issue the corresponding command, they would have to follow it, and he would have to fail to dodge. Those are three safety points.

It's in same kind of believable that Zhang moves as well with us standing in the middle of the match as well she operated in open field or Bai Jiutian will do dirty tricks for some reason I can't fanthom. It's not like he is getting anything by causing twin to live crippled life.
Sorry, can't parse this sentence to properly respond to it. :)

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I really don't think it will be OMG JING ARE YOU TRYING TO GET ME TO STAB MY OWN DAD. For one thing, each side has to broadcast the actions their minions will take verbally. For another, they're all competent enough to avoid a probably stationery target. Finally, anybody on our side would probably disobey us rather than stab Nie in the face if something bad happens.

CA.

Let me be perfectly clear that I didn't mean that Xu Jing will delibratly instructing Twins or Miss Song to gut Nie Wuxing.
I meant that someone might see it as that way, Someone can use it to disqulifyi us by being massive enought dick to put opposing tactician in ptentially dangerous situation despite the rules.

Who are you talking about? For Guo Fu and Wudang? Pretty unbelievable. For Su Cheng and Co? They would accuse you of that, and more.

For the Saint? If he thought you to be that kind of person, he would never have offered you his arm.

Mainly I meant sword Saint since he has the power to disqualifyi.
Well generally Sword Saint expects us to do right thing in normal situation, but this match is personal between Nie wuxing and Xu Jing and he knows that there is bad blood between us, especially right now.
It's not unreasonable to think that Sword Saint might think that our emotions cloud our judgement in this particlu case. Lets be honest, Xu Jing does seem to be guy who is more likely to follow whims of his instinct rather than any code of conduct, even though he can be reasonable at times.

It does not matter if we might or might not make a mistake if we do not make it.

For our girls to hurt Wuxing we would have to issue the corresponding command, and they would have to follow it. Those are two safety points.

Well I was mainly using that line to demonstrate the hypcrocity to think that Bai Jiutian would use killing intent where it could lead to tarnishing her reputation due disqualfying or leading twins to live crippling life by getting us disqualifyed.
He doesn't get anything from twins getting crippled and sword saint will intervieve, if there seems to be murder at happening.

It's in same kind of believable that Zhang moves as well with us standing in the middle of the match as well she operated in open field or Bai Jiutian will do dirty tricks for some reason I can't fanthom. It's not like he is getting anything by causing twin to live crippled life.
Sorry, can't parse this sentence to properly respond to it. :)

Oh wow, it does look pretty incomprhesible now that I look it, something like from necronimicon tales.
:lol:

Zhang will not be "deadly" with her sword against our duelists, if we are using ourself as human shield compared to current situation. So she should be less effective even if our view of vision is hampered when duelists fight around us.
I do not see what Bai Jiutian can gain by displaying killing intent. Even when she wins twins will be crippled, if sword saint disqualfyi her by reasoning that she was trying to kill Xu Jing then it tarnish her reputation.

Also fuck this current quote system, fuck this forum:decline:

Tigranes

Arcane

CA.

Let me be perfectly clear that I didn't mean that Xu Jing will delibratly instructing Twins or Miss Song to gut Nie Wuxing.
I meant that someone might see it as that way, Someone can use it to disqulifyi us by being massive enought dick to put opposing tactician in ptentially dangerous situation despite the rules.

Yeah, exactly. We have to yell out exactly what we want our minions to do. So it's hard for someone to say "LOOK XU JING IS INSTRUCTING THEM TO GUT NIE WUXING" or "HE IS PUTTING NIE IN MORTAL DANGER". The worst that happens is Nie has to dodge an incoming attack and then we are disqualified because we are seen as having forced that to happen.

Nevill

Arcane
Well generally Sword Saint expects us to do right thing in normal situation, but this match is personal between Nie wuxing and Xu Jing and he knows that there is bad blood between us, especially right now.
Is there?

There is reason aplenty for Wuxing to hate and despise us, but is the feeling mutual? Does Jing feel hatred towards him? I don't think so. He hadn't slighted us too much. If anything, we ridicule him and troll him at every opportunity, not trying to murder him.

I don't understand what it means to do the right thing in a 'normal situation'. Was the battle at the Black Tiger Valley normal? Because we risked much more in that one, and still made the right calls... mostly. What is so abnormal about the mock duel now?

It's not unreasonable to think that Sword Saint might think that our emotions cloud our judgement in this particlu case.
Well, what are our emotions that we are currently feeling towards Wuxing? Are there any at all?

I maintain that as long as there is no accident, there will be no problem with us interpreting the rules in a creative way.

Elfberserker said:
Well I was mainly using that line to demonstrate the hypcrocity to think that Bai Jiutian would use killing intent where it could lead to tarnishing her reputation due disqualfying or leading twins to live crippling life by getting us disqualifyed.
Ah, ok. Nah, I don't believe she even needs to go into the killing mode. We've seen her in action, and I think Wuxing is actually limiting her potential as a fighter. Any more effort would be wasted when she can only act on his command.

Elfberserker said:
Zhang will not be "deadly" with her sword against our duelists, if we are using ourself as human shield compared to current situation. So she should be less effective even if our view of vision is hampered when duelists fight around us.
I can see the point of D, and how it might be better to put ourselves on the line, but I don't feel comfortable about all that multitasking when the text suggests it takes our all just to keep the status quo.

Elfberserker said:
Also fuck this current quote system, fuck this forum:decline:
:bro:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
treave, if you don't mind me asking,
Regardless of how the duel ends, it is quite impossible for you to travel together with Nie Wuxing after this. Too much bad blood.
Were there any choices on how to deal with the Twins that would have allowed it - well, except for returning them?

I am asking because I find Wuxing's reaction a bit weird.
“This is a disgrace,” mutters Nie. His gaze turns back to you, accusing and eager to cast blame. “Are you going to take responsibility for them, then?

“Me?” You shake your head, grinning. “Of course not!”

Nie Wuxing’s scowl only grows deeper at your answer. “What do you mean?” he asks, his voice showing restraint.

“Your daughters have to take responsibility for themselves. Come now, Master Nie, you know that you cannot coddle them forever?”

“Preposterous! I will not allow you to toy with my daughters and then leave them to do as you please!” shouts Nie, finally enraged.
It looks like he almost expected us to take responsibility for them and was enraged when we said we wouldn't. Would he actually be 'alright' with that outcome? It is a disgrace to have one's daughters be taken by a scoundrel and a lecher, but the wording implied to me that he could have 'allowed' us to get away with it on certain conditions.

Or was it our refusal to face him in an honest duel that was the final straw? Or did it not matter at all, as far as our relationship and this trip is concerned?

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist

CA.

Yeah, exactly. We have to yell out exactly what we want our minions to do. So it's hard for someone to say "LOOK XU JING IS INSTRUCTING THEM TO GUT NIE WUXING" or "HE IS PUTTING NIE IN MORTAL DANGER". The worst that happens is Nie has to dodge an incoming attack and then we are disqualified because we are seen as having forced that to happen.

Oh..Well okay then.

Is there?

There is reason aplenty for Wuxing to hate and despise us, but is the feeling mutual? Does Jing feel hatred towards him? I don't think so. He hadn't slighted us too much. If anything, we mock him and troll him at every opportunity, not trying to murder him.

I don't understand what it means to do the right thing in a 'normal situation'. Was the battle at the Black Tiger Valley normal? Because we risked much more in that one, and still made right calls... mostly. What is so abnormal about the mock duel now?

Well we kinda played a part in twins indeoence and generally have been against traditional family system in this setting. Xu Jing usually trolls people that hard when there is conflict in either ideologically or in chemistry. Perhaps personal hatred is wrong word, but both Nie wuxing and Xu Jing just rubs each other wrong way for outsider.
We for example have not trolled either shaolin or Wudang and we get pretty well with Emei despite initial troublesome start, but hueshan? We have been generally pretty dicks toward each other and things have been just escalating. We might not have any personal vendetta against Nie wuxing himself, but we do have hateful realitionship with the sect and with that also Nie wuxing. People or sects don't usually troll that much each other unless something has happened between the two or chemistre just doesn't work that well.

The thing is that Sword Saint doesn't know, if it's just bad chemistry or did Nie Wuxing and Xu Jing had a clash where all these anoginest actions stem from...Not that it might not actually matter to sword saint
Oh fuck I think cornered myself in
:negative:

For normal sitatuations I generally refer where we are not involved or caused internal fmaily crisis...With a sect that we have been traditionally against.

Ah, ok. Nah, I don't believe she even needs to go into the killing mode. We've seen her in action, and I think Wuxing is actually limiting her potential as a fighter. Any more effort would be wasted when she can only act on his command.

I was more referring to absinthe, who theorized that Bai Jiutian uses killing intent to draw response from our sword Saint arm.

can see the point of D, and how it might be better to put ourselves on the line, but I don't feel comfortable about all that multitasking when the text suggests it takes our all just to keep the status quo.

Fair enought. I must admit it's very valid point.

Kipeci

Arcane
It's all we can do to keep up with the fight and people want that fear-pressuring sword being waved around in Jing's face? Let's mess with Nie some instead, that'll get a good rise out of him.

CA

Nevill

Arcane
Well, of all the things that could go wrong, I must say that I expect the Tai'e Sword to be the least of our concerns, as far as Jing goes. :)

Does he even know what fear is? For himself, I mean.

Nevill

Arcane
Was there anything to beat out in the first place? :lol: I mean, we approached him of our own volition.

We were born without a self-preservation instinct.

Thankfully, we have the Demon now to keep us safe for all those who need us. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom