Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The problem with Xuezi and the Twins is that the girls have no idea who she is and will have trust issues, at least initially. Still, if the Child Immortal is any good at this, it should become apparent to them sooner rather than later. Her temper and lack of tact would still be an issue, though I hope the girls would be able to see past that. They are brighter than their own parents give them credit for.

...I don't suppose we can ask Xuezi if she ever done this before?

Nevill

Arcane
treave, what are the rules of the match? Why are there 3 duelists? Is teamwork involved besides the obvious tactician-duelist relationship? Are the duels happening simultaneously? Are those 3 x (1 vs 1) duels, or is it a (3 vs 3) team match? What are the winning conditions?

Should have taken responsibility. *sigh* our poor harem is always getting neglected...
Do consider that no one freed us from being the representative of Emei, not until the sword is delivered to the Emperor. It would have been yet another dickish move towards them and Yifang who have vouched for us.

Choices and consequences.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I guess I will go with B - D I, II, III; T X

I don't know if Song Lingshu would cut it. With Jiutian and Wuxing as our opponents, we are lacking in sword skill even with Jing on the team. Miss Song has her legendary sword and qinggong going for her, but her actual skill with a blade is not that greate.

The most likely match-ups would be Wuxing vs Jing, and Tian're + Minue vs the sisters. I believe we are equally matched with Wuxing, Bai is more experienced that the Twins, while Minyue is less so. Now, does Bai want them to win or not, that is a question.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
C - 3v3 of weiqi matches > B Duelists - Twins, Armaiti; Tactician - Jing

Cao'er gonna crush some heads. Treave, is the 3v3 of weiqi acceptable?

I don't know if Song Lingshu would cut it. We are lacking in sword skill even with Jing on the team, what with Jiutian and Wuxing as our opponents. Miss Song has her legendary sword and qinggong going for her, but her actual skill with a blade is still lacking.
Low skill is fine. That's what the tactician is for, and Song Lingshu should be a quick learner with the Jueshi Wugong Sword Song and Chixiao Sword.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
That went better than I expected!

I am no tactican, but I feel compelled to note few things that have not been mentioned:

-WSQ teamwork boost with Yunzi.
- Justice girlsYifang and Miss Song should at laest have decent teamwork, since they seems to be best buddies.
-We have two legendary blades and they should be not understimed.
- Our tactician probably knows pretty well our Xu Jing and harem techniques due to long time we have travelled together...Unless You want to put one of the twins in the helm.
- Orthodox buddies should be fine with dueling since it doesn't seem to be deathmatch.
- We can probably troll them enought to at laest distrupt their teamwork enought.
-Yunzi and Armaiti should have good teamwork.

These are just little bits that came to mind.

Jester

Arbiter
Will add some possibilities.
Although not sure if i got rules right. We have to say things like jump up, kick to left, all do back flip? Would use general orders like 'stop BJ?' 'buy time' 'stop those two' against the rules? I assume we can use them.

In that case i see 4 possible candidates for Tactician:

Jing - Who have much experience with working with and against different styles. Has nasty habit of tricking/trolling enemies, getting ideas for some new trick each time, but usually do it directly so people might let their guard down (if not there will be pressure 'what he is up to again?'). Above average intelligence (8 or 9 not sure if neigong bonus is added already) focused on martial arts with good perception to keep up with what's going on. Unorthodox in everything he does, but he learned one or two orthodox techs to. He might have problem with coping with leading orthodox minded people, still his ability to read and manipulate people should help there. Manipulation of both sides is his game.

Cao - With her stats in Int and Per she probably will see whole situation in slow motion, from either angle and as many times she likes. She should be able to see through most tactical plans of enemy, but she dont have experience with martial arts so she might be blind sided there (dunno what she learned in Emei to). Although she have experience with deciphering all kind of techs from tiger martial arts, observed many high level fights even master level and she knows when to act. Problems with communication is possible. Logical decisions and information gathering so i expect Sun Tzu style of leadership.

Xuezi - Knows lots of techs, formations and god knows what so she shouldn't be caught off guard by anything. I am concerned with her ability to lead i really doubt she was part of any team. She probably is used to ordering people around so there is that to look when choosing Duelists. Other problem is i am not sure how well she would react to anything unknown to her and i think its likely she would fall to bait and switch tactic. Use tech she recognise to make her think she knows whats will happened instead do something slightly different. So she is most experienced fighter, but not sure if leader.

Qilin - As creative as Jing, she knows how to catch people off guard, good at controlling people. From my point of view she actually could work quite well as leader, but rather not in direct control of fighters and i expect Madam is able to outclass her in this challenge.

possible team compositions

1)Tactican Xu Jing
Duellists II and III , VII/VIII/IX

2)Tactician Cao'er
Duelists I, VI, VII

3)Tactician Xuezi
Duelist I, VI, VIII

1)
We must take into consideration how well duellists work with each other and strategist.

II and III as base - Sisters are experienced with such duel and should be able to work well together.

We need someone who will be able to work with them.

VII - Armaiti has much experience fighting in team, is strong enough to be challenge to even BJ and i think she has good techs to support others. Although she is a bit unorthodox, but should be able to fit.
IX - Yifang is experienced in teamwork from time in castration squad, orthodox to fault and i doubt she would have any problems with following orders. She should be able to work with Nie Sisters well. She isnt to creative, but Jings ideas could solve this. And she tends to do things by the book, so she should keep up well as long as she has orders.
VIII - similar to Yifang.

2) If we can use general orders, or no one clarify how orders must be stated
I think they shouldnt have problems with teamwork. They are skilled at improvising so should be good with simple orders leaving them room to work with.

3)
People who are good at working together and shouldnt have any issue with way Xuezi will be ordering them. Nie sisters probably wont be able to cope with her.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Tacticians are there to suggest the moves, but their execution depends on the skill of the swordsman. That's a part of the desctiption:
a game of strategy, skill and understanding of martial arts.
Besides, I can't imagine Jing sitting that one out when the girls' lives are on the line. He was risking his own for less.

A word of warning about Xuezi, though:
Madam Nie said:
“There is no need to dance around the point, Xu Jing.” She shakes her head, and says quietly, “Oh, that child is not as half as smart as she thinks she is."
Maybe she is not the best match for Madam Nie, after all.

Maybe we are the best tactician on our team. We also know Huashan sword style quite well, thanks to our training session with Bai Jiutian. Maybe we can do this.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
Besides, I can't imagine Jing sitting that one out when the girls' lives are on the line. He was risking his own for less.
In my opinion actually strategist is core element to win this version of challenge, so i wouldn't say he is sitting this one out. I see your angle though.

Fangshi

Arcane
A1 for now I suppose. Might flop to a team option if a compelling combination comes up.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Well I put here my suggestion for teamwork, so other can point out critimism.

Tactician Xuezi.
That girl has seen and fought against orthodox guys even before most of other particients grandparents we just crawling in the floor. As far as her martial knowledge goes, she is undisputed master amongs our group.
Not to mention she is pretty quick barking orders.

Duelist Miss Song:
- She has pretty potent defense against these guys. Combined with her own qinqqong technique with Dingdi step makes her one of toughest targets to get hit.
- She has two very solid sword techniques as well as legendary blade. Not to mention that sword skill 7 isn't nothing to sneeze at even, if we are fighting against sword masters.
- Actually gets along with everyone in our group.

Duelist Yifang:
- Yifang seems to pretty killer material in nonlethal and duels which doesn't harm good orthodox guys.
- Perhaps best sword user in our entire group
- Good teamworker.

Duelist Xu Jing:
- Those physical stats and raw skills
- That teamwork breaking trolling
- Very, very good unarmed techniques.
- Has Emei phallic symbol.
- Makes Nie wuxing rage, so hard that teamwork will be secondary to him if he can punish Xu Jing.
- Varied sword styles from Taiji to Kenjutsu to our undeveloped sword style.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

A word of warning about Xuezi, though:
Madam Nie said:
“There is no need to dance around the point, Xu Jing.” She shakes her head, and says quietly, “Oh, that child is not as half as smart as she thinks she is."
Maybe she is not the best match for Madam Nie, after all.
I'd say that the fact that Madam Nie thinks of her as a child points to Madam Nie being the foolish one. ;)

Well, I've made my arguments and no one has listened as usual. :M

One final warning and then I'm done with the discuss for a while:

In every one of these types of fights so far (where we pick our team etc), the PERSONAL synergies seem to have been the deciding factor. Not to discount stats completely, mind you.

Nevill

Arcane
Well I put here my suggestion for teamwork, so other can point out critimism.
A very solid team. Everyone gets along nicely, and we can be sure they will follow orders. That psychological factor Jing provides is not to be underestimated.

The raw power seems to be greater than that of Jing + Twins, too. But we don't know if they had a prior experience with this method of training.

I wonder how Miss Song will feel about fighting Bai Jiutian, though.

In every one of these types of fights so far (where we pick our team etc), the PERSONAL synergies seem to have been the deciding factor. Not to discount stats completely, mind you.
So what kind of personal synergy does Xuezi have with our team - or Lingshu with the Twins, for that matter?

From Bai's smug tone when she offered us an 'out' in a form of mock duel - at Madam Nie's behest, no doubt - I suspect that there is a trap waiting for us. I don't know if Xuezi is of keen enough mind to spot it in time. The girl can be overconfident at times.

I don't think she offered it out of the kindness of her heart. Or did she? It smells like a scheme.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I don't think she offered it out of the kindness of her heart. Or did she? It smells like a sceme.
Smug tones aside, Bai has a soft spot for the girls. His fight with Zhang seemed to point to that. Actually, I think Bai has a soft spot for girls in general, but that's neither here nor there...

Xeuzi is the "Not to discount stats completely" bit. And I'm not talking about just with our team. What synergies do the duelists have with their opponents? But I'm talking too much for someone who has supposedly bowed out of the discussion.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, what are the rules of the match? Why are there 3 duelists? Is teamwork involved besides the obvious tactician-duelist relationship? Are the duels happening simultaneously? Are those 3 x (1 vs 1) duels, or is it a (3 vs 3) team match? What are the winning conditions?

It's a mock team duel, no killing. Duelists cannot move unless ordered to by their tactician, anything else and they're disqualified. A bit of leeway is given for incomprehensible commands.

It helps if you think of it as a voice-controlled RTS, I suppose.

Treave, is the 3v3 of weiqi acceptable?

Their counter-proposal is that you can have a single weiqi match against Madam Nie.

Absinthe

Arcane
C Cao'er vs Madam Nie weiqi > B Duelists - Twins, Armaiti; Tactician - Jing

Guys, I say Jing sits this fight out because of his arm. I'd rather recommend Armaiti for following orders and being a massive powerhouse.

That said, I think Cao'er with her 10 int would beat Madam Nie in a weiqi match.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
I sort of like the idea of solving this with a test of skill rather than force so I might flop to C depending on just how much experience Cao'er has with weiqi.

Has she ever played it before? I imagine that would be rather important. If she has no experience with the game it might be better to let Jing or someone else do it.

Kz3r0

Arcane
C. Weiqi match between Xuezi and Madam Nie
Else.
B.
Tactician - Xuezi
Xu Jing, and the Twins

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Treave, could we get two days of preparation time before the Cao'er vs Madam Nie weiqi match?

With her instant recall and monstrous ability at reading ahead and learning, she should be able to win if we take some time to explain the rules (which are very simple) and run her through a huge number of patterns, traps, and strategies with some practice matches to boot.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I'd rather have Jing on the field, since he is a red cloth to Wuxing's bull. With luck, he'll lose composure and get himself disqualified.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom