Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Kz3r0

Arcane
treave How about roaring with our chaotic qi and see the reaction before deciding for a kiss or a sword?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The roar generates a pressure blast. None of your qi actually travels out and enters his body. It is useless for that purpose.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Or I could have added it in because I'm feeling kind and wanted to give you guys a way out. :M
Yeah, more and more it looks that way.

Face it, bros, the situation is too insane. We've been sitting here for hours and still didn't come up with a single rational theory, instead throwing "A will get us killed! No, B!" back and forth. I don't see enough clues to go on.

A is crazy and insane because it employs the means of supernatural offense against a person who we do not know is connected to the supernatural at all. He did not exhibit any of the behavior that Lady Mi did - all we have going for this theory is his stunt with the swords, and that could be explained away with some forbidden technique that drove him mad in the first place. He fights like a man, he bleeds like a man, he has earthly desires like a man, he has a name he earned his fame with - nothing here indicates that he is any more inhuman than, say, Yang Xue, who was just a head attached to a boulder in the initial draft of the plot. The ability to fight on when a normal man would be dead thrice over is a staple of Wuxia genre, and this man might just have taken it to the XTREME.

I don't really doubt our ability to form a plan, close our distance and do the deed. What troubles me is that it does not have a follow-up. It reads 'welp, if it does not work, we'll think of something, since he will be so surprised' - and that's it. And I am pretty sure - was sure since the beginning - that the kiss itself won't do anything to him. I banked on removing his mask, on confusing and surprising him - on anything but what is stated to be the main attraction of the choice which is the kiss that is meant to dispose of the 'demon'. Ignoring what is written and fantasizing about other potential outcomes that might happen is never a mark of a good plan.

But I am not too quick to jump to the B camp, either, not when the only argument going for it is "it's WQS, our legendary skill, it will totes work because legendaries exist to steamroll everything". It talks about mimicking, but what exactly is it that we want to mimic? His sword-absorbing technique (if it's that), allowing the swords to pierce our body and laughing the damage off? No thank you, he bleeds just like any other man, so what happens to us when WQS expires is up to debate. His dualwielding skills with two of the Great Swords? With what, our single Yuchang blade that is designed for a different style of combat altogether? His swords juggling skills? Again, with what? All the swords in the courtyard are now piercing his body, so we have nothing to work with. All of the techniques he displayed are not particularly useful to us in one way or the other. Add to that that he can eat lethal hits like it's nothing, and you've got a nightmare of a fight on your hands.

The choise seem to recognize that the swords are not going to cut it (pardon the bad pun), and that you will resort to unarmed techniques if all goes to hell, which raises a question of why go with WQS in the first place.

Still, this choice has us put up a fight instead of LOLOLOLing our way through. Even though I know the intention of A voters is not to do this in the most hilarious way possible, A is pretty far from actual martial arts, and we were warned not to play around.

I don't have a clue of what to do here, and I don't want to pretend that I do. In light of this, I will graciously accept the way out that is offered and withdraw from the fight until we can find out more. I would be highly unfortunate if the LP was to end there due to yet another unwise decision - and I can't call a decision wise if it does not have at least a somewhat plausible argument backing it. No one came up with it so far.

D.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
In line with Nevill, I think it's a tossup between B and D.

C is obviously stupid.

A is risky (getting to the kiss alone requires working with a strange girl against the most difficult enemy we've faced who may or may not be wounded) and outcome will either be major troll (not a demon, kissed a human), fail (oh, thanks for getting so close so i can cut you up, Jing), weird aftereffects (which we had with the toad demon, in this case we're dealing with a demon that probably drove this guy insane).... just too many problems.

B I think can work in the sense that our qi switching ability means we probably won't be fucked by it, but the question is, will WQ-copied abilities actually allow us to defeat him in close combat. He hasn't been holding his ground through technique alone, and the sword absorbing shit shows that if we copied most of his abilities, he'd be immune to it. He doesn't seem like an enemy who will be particularly disadvantaged by someone using his own abilities against him.

D is sensible in that aspect, but my worry is whether we can actually all get out like that. Will the girl listen to us and flee? Will we be able to ensure she gets away with her sword and us with ours? I mean, sure, all is easier if he is wounded, but if he's not...

D > B for now.

Absinthe

Arcane
We've been holding our ground against him pretty well so far. The only reason we haven't been able to keep up with him is because a number of his moves are beyond our understanding and ability to counter by extension. Wuxiang Qiankun would allow us to understand his moves and face him on an even footing if we cannot beat him on our own. At that point, Zhang Minyue's help would seal his defeat.

Tribute

Arbiter
The roar generates a pressure blast. None of your qi actually travels out and enters his body. It is useless for that purpose.
Sending a pressure blast directly into his lungs wouldn't fuck him up?

Nevill

Arcane
Where does it state that WQS assists in understanding of enemy moves? All we have is that quote:
treave said:
It would, but having the extra insight might only mean that you realize sometimes the best counter is to scream at them, or shoot eye lasers, or soft-counter all over their face with Taiji spam etc. You can't know for sure before (if) you face those techniques.
Which is great, but where does it state it is the skill that provides extra insight and we don't use our own head to piece things together instead?

For that matter, where does it state that it is the lack of understading of TDS's techniques that was hampering us in a fight?
treave said:
Even when you drop into the Taiji Sword stance, the constant rise and fall of the myriad swords is too much for you to track reliably at your level of understanding... your opponent is truly a master swordsman.
This talks about our understanding of Taiji. Another of the techniques we didn't understand was his sword-absorbing move, but that had no effect on the fight. So why would WQS helping us solve the problem that didn't exist in the first place be advantageous to us?

Futhermore, where does the choice state that Minyue will provide meaningful contribution that will be crucial to winning the fight? It pretty much talks about you defeating TDS one-on-one with your Wunderwaffle tech. Minyue does not go anywhere, but she is not necessary for the execution of the plan, and the choice states that rather unambiguosly.

I see these arguments as yet another way of saying "WQS will work because it will definitely work" in slightly different words.

Tribute, A choice has us working with a preconception that he is a demon and needs a qi donation. If we want to roar in his face, that would be a completely different tactics.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

Absinthe

Arcane
Tribute, that's all incredibly irrelevant. If we manage to kiss him, he's done for, one way or another. The problem is managing to kiss him. A problem that every A voter is trying so hard to ignore.

Nevill, you know what, lets ask treave. Does Wuxiang Qiankun give extra insight into an opponent's moves?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'll try to explain the quote:

treave said:
It would, but having the extra insight might only mean that you realize sometimes the best counter is to scream at them, or shoot eye lasers, or soft-counter all over their face with Taiji spam etc. You can't know for sure before (if) you face those techniques.

You do get extra insight into how a technique works, but whether you can parlay that insight into a successful counter, or whether you have the tools to execute a counter in the first place, is not something Wuxiang Qiankun can give you.

Baltika9

Arcane
I have a strong aversion to not finishing the fight when we have the chance to do so, so I am flipping to A>B, since I consider D a waste of an opprtunity and potentially lethal to us.
But I still believe that the power of HOMOLOVE can overcome all, hence I vote A as a primary.

Kz3r0

Arcane
All right, here is my theory, he is a circus freack, what we have saw here are insane juggling skills, probably illusion techniques and stage props, his sword absorption can be explained both by his clothes and the fact that he is a contorsionist, let's not forget that there are qi techniques tocontrol blood flow and you can search for people stabbing themselves or hammering nails in their bodies.
While this is very other the top, Wuxya style, all he has shown are basically circus tricks, but there is a more important clue, the technique he seems to fear is that twenty forth something dance that is just a flurry of qi cutting slashes, so I suugest to use WQS both to read his moves and for imitating Minyue technique, a combined assault of qi cutting slashes.
For the other otions, he is not a demon, hence:
A is suicidal if these are just circus tricks.
B can work with some adjustement, see E.
C depends too much on the courage and lack of superstition of the guards, not very safe even if we pull it off.
D turning your back to the enemy is always a bad idea even if he is wouded.

So I would say:
E Use WQS both to read his moves and for imitating Minyue technique launching a combined assault of qi cutting slashes.

Absinthe

Arcane
Eh, with 9 perception, 8 int, 8 swords, and the Taiji Sword countering technique, I think we have the tools to parlay Wuxiang Qiankun's insight into successful counters.

And Kz3r0, I'm pretty sure we won't need to use her cutting slashes if we use Wuxiang Qiankun on him. After all, she can always do that on her own while we execute other moves.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
E Use WQS both to read his moves and for imitating Minyue technique launching a combined assault of qi cutting slashes.

Without spoiling anything, this won't have an effect on the outcome.
I was just trying to double the attack he seems to fear and for that we need to imitate Minyue's technique, unless we can use qi cutting techniques on our own, then I would say chaotic slash him from a distance.

Nevill

Arcane
Again with the stat juggling.

I'll repeat myself. Where was it stated that the problem we have is the lack of countering moves?

That quote about context had me thinking. So roaring in his face with our qi and kissing him are two different things with different outcomes due to context. Not due to the effectiveness of the move or the properties of our qi. That sorely tempts me to flop to A. I think I'll do just that. D>A

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, he doesn't really fear it:

“Style twenty four!” shouts Zhang Minyue again as she sends another wave towards Jian Yixiao. The Chixiao Sword flashes red as he brings it down, slicing through her qi with little effort.

He doesn't really want to get hit by it, yes, but you could say the same about every other attack used throughout the fight starting from the opening stab with the Yuchang Sword.

tropic

Scholar
Flopping to B

When I first voted A, I didn't realize it meant kissing him. That's probably specific to the toad demon. This strikes me a little bit as a troll choice - although there have been a few cases where those worked out...

The one thing I really liked about A was removing the mask, and B doesn't really seem to imply that. The other difference is that in A we work with Minyue and in B we go one-on-one.

I'd prefer to WQS and have some backup, but it seems like she is afraid as well as totally outclassed.

There are a few things going on, basically:
Some kind of dark qi / possession
Some sound-based or song-based manipulation of the weapons

This is a bit odd too -

“But is that all you have? Surely there is more?” He begins walking towards you slowly, swords in hand. Zhang Minyue ducks behind you, her eyes wide with fear.

This is… strange. You grit your teeth, wondering what to do next. Could he actually be a real demon? You don’t have a ready explanation for what you have just seen at the moment; it could be some form of esoteric technique, but it could also readily be a supernatural phenomenon, and you are not too well equipped to handle the latter.

“I do have more, but the night is growing late and all good kids need to go to bed! Perhaps we can leave this for another time, Master Demon?” you shout.

“I am an impatient, impatient man at times,” he laughs in return, “and you are only saying that because you think you do not have the advantage at the moment.”

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Well, he doesn't really fear it:

“Style twenty four!” shouts Zhang Minyue again as she sends another wave towards Jian Yixiao. The Chixiao Sword flashes red as he brings it down, slicing through her qi with little effort.

He doesn't really want to get hit by it, yes, but you could say the same about every other attack used throughout the fight starting from the opening stab with the Yuchang Sword.
More proof that he is human, and cutting qi can't be entrapped in clothes and padding designed fo that nor can the damage can be reduced by driving the blade into the flesh where does little damage.
Guys vote B or E, is obvious now that he is human and that qi cutting can't be blocked by his tricks.

Absinthe

Arcane
Again with the stat juggling.
Yes, I post relevant numbers and techniques as indication of our abilities. How awful.

I'll repeat myself. Where was it stated that the problem we have is the lack of countering moves?
Oh that, sure:
You attempt to go into the Taiji stance at the last second, but the unexpected strength and speed of his attack knocks your guard wide, leaving you open before the circle is drawn and you can muster up a counter.
Also here:
Even when you drop into the Taiji Sword stance, the constant rise and fall of the myriad swords is too much for you to track reliably at your level of understanding... your opponent is truly a master swordsman.

Those are two separate occasions where it was clearly indicated that our lack of understanding is preventing us from matching him.

Nevill

Arcane
The first one talks about him catching us off-guard because we underestimated the opponent. We did not repeat this mistake since. The second one talks about our understanding of Taiji, which is not improved by spamming WQS in any way.

This is just trying to fit facts into your theory, when it should have been the other way around.

Kipeci

Arcane
I guess it's time to just sit back and watch us die for trolling rather than fighting seriously. Treave seems fairly eager to move on, anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom