Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Having Zhang Jue appear to be under the Emperor's command would quite likely be a huge factor in inducing sleepless nights for certain people.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Well if Nie WUSSxing would dissobey Shun we would be on a express train to fuck up the conspiracy.

Baltika9

Arcane
Having Zhang Jue appear to be under the Emperor's command would quite likely be a huge factor in inducing sleepless nights for certain people.
This has to happen. The FUUUU- amongst the Douchebag Gen will be amazing. Su Cheng's meltdown at seeing our Taiji will be absolutely nothing in comparison. :lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Moonlit Manor

The Zhou Manor was just as you remembered it. Getting past the small army of guards was simple enough; finding Zhou Zixia’s room a bit more difficult. Moving unseen from pillar to pillar, you peek in through the cracks of the windows. The first room you come across is that of Zhou Zhideng fast asleep in the embrace of his young wife, his child dozing in a cot off to the side. Moving on, you spy on a few more rooms before you finally find the person you want. You enter the room without a sound, quietly moving towards the bed. Stretching out a finger, you poke the sleeping maiden’s cheek. It takes you a few pokes before her eyes slowly open and she looks up groggily.

“Eh?” She is still muddled from her sleep, it seems.

“Long time no see,” you say quietly, and Zhou Zixia sits up with a start.

“You-“ She begins her exclamation loudly before catching herself and lowering her voice. “You… what are you doing here?”

“I was in town, and just thought I would drop by for a chat.”

“At this hour of the night?” Miss Zhou backs up against the wall, drawing her blankets around herself tightly.

“Don’t worry. I’m not here for that.” You chuckle, and add cheekily, “Not tonight, anyway.”

It is a pity you cannot enjoy the look on her face thanks to the darkness. Attempting to regain her composure, she shakes her head at you. “Visiting at such times in my room is highly improper. I understand that you are one to do your own thing, Xu Jing, but this is very rude.”

“I can’t exactly walk through the gates in broad daylight now, can I? Your father would not be happy to see me.”

“Well… yes,” she admits, reminded of the battle on the island and the favour she owes you. “I suppose so.”

“Anyway, you are right. I shouldn’t have come unannounced, and for that I apologize,” you say lightly. “Still, since I’m already here, let’s make things quick. I need some help from you. Do you know of the Chengying Sword?”

“That’s… one of the Great Swords, isn’t it? But why are you asking about it?” She is puzzled, but slightly hesitant at the same time.

“Is the wielder of that sword staying here?”

Instantly, she becomes defensive. “Why do you want to know that?”

“Don’t worry. I’m not here to kill or rob, or anything of the sort.” Probably. You are not ruling out those courses of action yet, depending on what you find. “I just want to have a little talk. It’s not too big a favour to ask, is it?”

After thinking about it for a while, she nods. “Very well. I will tell you what you need to know. In return, promise that you will not hurt her.”

“Her?”

“Yes. The owner of the sword is my friend, Minyue. We are childhood friends who studied in the same place for years, so I can vouch for her character.”

“Did she tell you how she came by the sword, then?”

“Her brother gave it to her, and asked her to be his representative at this sword conference.”

“She must be a very good swordswoman,” you say. There is more you want to ask regarding the suspicious circumstances about how this Minyue girl came by the sword, but you think it would be easier to ask her directly. Besides, something is starting to feel wrong and it is not your conversation with Zhou Zixia. There is a strange mood in the air tonight.

“She is… good, I suppose. Better than me, certainly. But I’ve heard that she did return from an apprenticeship to the Sword Saint recently, so her skills must have improved by leaps and bounds.”

You hold up your hand. “Wait, I thought the Sword Saint’s disciple was male.” Murong Yandi had been a man no matter how you looked at him. You are sure about that.

“Was it? Well, maybe he had two,” shrugs Miss Zhou. You certainly hope that is the case. Your heart can’t take it if there was yet another Bai Jiutian walking about.

Suddenly, your hackles raise as a wave of intense killing intent sweeps over the entire manor. Your nostrils flare, catching the scent of blood. “What is it?” asks Zixia, confused as she too notices that something is off. A gong is rung repeatedly, and a commotion soon follows; from the screams, it sounds as if people are fighting – and dying – just outside.

“Stay here,” you whisper, edging towards the window. As you peek out towards the courtyard, you hear a loud scream. Blood splashes against the window, soaking the paper a dark, deep red. Zixia lets out a brief shriek, clutching the blankets against her. You fling the window open in a hurry. The owner of the blood – a Zhou guard – is slumped against the wall outside the room. At least, half of him is. The other half is still lying in the center of the courtyard.

There, the Laughing Sword Demon stands. Surrounded by bodies, a fine mist of red still hanging in the air under the bright full moon, he howls at the night sky in shrill laughter. The two Great Swords, Chixiao and Qixing Longyuan, are stabbed into the ground in front of him as if in offering to the dead. The crimson blade seems to be an even more vibrant shade of red tonight, while the pristine white sword remains untouched by even a single droplet of blood.

Facing him are Zhou Dingqiu, his son, and the remnants of the guards, who number barely a dozen now.

“Jian Yixiao,” growls Zhou Dingqiu. “Just what is the meaning of this?”

“They were in my way, Master Zhou. Where is the wielder of the Chengying Sword? That is the only person I seek here. If they would come out now, I will spare the rest of your miserable lives.” Behind that mask comes a voice full of mirth. There is something different about the Sword Demon tonight, compared to when you had met him on the road. He seems sharper somehow… more real. More deadly.

“H-here. I am here!” A pretty young woman that you have never seen before strides forth, although her step falters the moment she leaves the relative safety of the Zhou contingent. “I am Zhang Minyue, wielder of the Chengying Sword. What business do you have with me?”

“Hm, a lass? No matter. I want that sword. Hand it over,” says the masked man bluntly.

“It would shame my clan if I did that. No, I think not,” she shakes her head fiercely.

It looks like the matter will not be resolved peacefully. Zhou Zixia tugs at your sleeve, having ventured off the bed, although the blankets are still wrapped around her to avoid revealing her sleeping attire. “Can you help them? Please?” she pleads. She seems to be on the verge of running out there if you do not agree. You think it is likely that the Sword Demon might wipe out the rest of the Zhou Manor if they try to interfere in the fight; nothing in Zhang Minyue’s bearing gives you the confidence that she might defeat him… although the Sword Saint too was unassuming at first glance.

You are not certain. Your instincts tell you that Jian Yixiao is dangerous, warning you to flee immediately. You have no guarantee of defeating this man.

A. You flee from Zhou Manor. What happens to the Zhou family or Zhang Minyue is not your concern. More importantly, you need to survive. It is pointless to die here.

B. You decide to join in the fight, working together with Zhang Minyue and the Zhou clan. Perhaps you can chase him off again, like you did before. You are not certain whether they will welcome your help at this moment, or that it will even be enough, but the only thing you can do is to try.

C. You run in and attempt to steal the Chengying Sword right in front of everyone. If you succeed, that means the Sword Demon’s attention will be focused on you. However, whether you succeed or fail, you are guaranteed to draw hostility from Zhang Minyue and the Zhous, perhaps forcing you into a fight on two fronts.

D. You wait and watch. It would be more prudent to see what the Sword Demon and Zhang Minyue can do first. Hopefully there will not be too much bloodshed before they are weakened enough so that you can defeat them both at once.

Baltika9

Arcane
The only two portions that make sense to me here are B and D. Ruining away is not an option with what is at stake, and I kinda doubt that our 'alliance' with Zhou will end well, past history and the -70 rep. They will work with us while we're not the immediate threat, but as soon as the Sword Demon is gone, that will be the end of that. Not that I'm to worried, they couldn't take us down with a hundred men three years ago.

I don't think that C will end well, that guy showed remarkable qinggong in the last fight, and he's in Serious Mode right now.
Voting B to take down the clown and deal with the Zhangs later.

Absinthe

Arcane
Bandwagon.

Lets take care of the sword demon right now. If Miss Zhou vouches for Minyue and says she apprenticed under Shangguan Chuji of all people, then I wouldn't kill her yet. I do want to confirm her apprenticeship though. She should know the Jueshi Wugong Sword Song if she truly apprenticed under him.

C is stupid because without our stealth I wouldn't try 5 sleight of hand to steal a legendary sword from its wielder.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Calling it right now, Yandi is the Sword Demon.

I refuse to believe, this guy ins't like Yandi at all. Yandi was a bit of a aspie due to spending a lot of time being reclusive with a lazy, unsocial swordsmaster. I know it has been two years but one doesn't change from a milquetoast apprentice from a cackling, sword-stealing evil swordsman with a ridiculous flair for threatrics like that.

If he didn't kill anybody, I would be inclined to believe it is Yandi.
Well, not everyone is as caring and loving towards his apprentice as our Master is. Perhaps Shangguan broke Yandi's heart and the heart ache drove him mad?

tropic

Scholar
A few thoughts:
  1. In the roadside fight, he sensed Zhang Jue from far away - he probably knows Jing is near.
  2. The night is associated with yin - does he have some yin-based neigong or technique that makes him stronger at night (Jiuyin?)
  3. His sword emits a commanding aura - does this somehow translate into the powerfully broadcasted killing intent or our sudden change in perception of him?
  4. Her sword's special power is that it's barely visible when in motion, and it is dark out.
  5. She has already refused him "fiercely" so she isn't so affected by his sword's power.
  6. There's something fishy about him having Wudang's sword - he is obviously out of balance, and one would expect Wudang's sword to be less effective in his hands.
I'm leaning towards D... the wording implies that Jing will have an opportunity to interfere (or flee?) once he has observed a bit more. Then again, if he knows we're here, and his qinggong is superior...

Baltika9

Arcane
The night is associated with yin - does he have some yin-based neigong or technique that makes him stronger at night (Jiuyin?)
Perhaps he got greedy and tried to learn both the Yin and Yang manuals, which lead him to this insanity? But why the strange fixation on the Sword Saint, then?

Tribute

Arbiter
The fixation on the Sword Saint is because the Sword Saint is unequivocably considered the best swordsman alive, which is a title he wants.

I do want to find and catch up with Yandi if possible, though.

Absinthe

Arcane
The sword is still stabbed into the ground. He wasn't using its commanding aura.

tropic

Scholar
This reminds me a little of the Ahura choice - we get a shot at the villain a little early, but the wrong choice is fatal.

Also, more evidence of some crazy yin going on, the full moon:

There, the Laughing Sword Demon stands. Surrounded by bodies, a fine mist of red still hanging in the air under the bright full moon, he howls at the night sky in shrill laughter. The two Great Swords, Chixiao and Qixing Longyuan, are stabbed into the ground in front of him as if in offering to the dead. The crimson blade seems to be an even more vibrant shade of red tonight, while the pristine white sword remains untouched by even a single droplet of blood.

This sword seems to be more powerful too. Our instincts are telling us to leave, but I think there is one or two things going on:
1. He is supercharged with yin qi
2. There is some perceptual trick going on

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
B is a 2 on 1 fight though. Those are shitty odds for him. C is suicide (lose hand, then the rest) and D is probably fail though. D is the option that gives Jian Yixiao two 1v1s when we don't trust him in a 1v1.

Hey treave, can we use Wuxiang Qiankun while concealed right now to read both their internal states?

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Basically I want to find out the nature and degree of their strength, for both of them.

Also, I'd like to see if we can uncover any of their techniques or at least general outlines about what sorts of moves they might use.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You can't read their techniques if they aren't using it yet. As for qi, Zhang Minyue is far below you while the Sword Demon is roughly comparable to yours, perhaps slightly below. This is all you'll be able to catch without picking D.

Absinthe

Arcane
I was hoping Jing might be able to make some educated guesses about their swordsmanship by learning their qi. At any rate, that alone should be enough to indicate that she will get slaughtered in D and then we have a 1v1 on our hands which our instincts are strongly warning us against.

Girl might turn out to be really skilled with really good qinggong, but the Sword Demon won't lose there, and his neigong outstrips hers.

Tribute

Arbiter
Yeah, I get the feeling that in D, if she's far below us and the sword demon is roughly equal with us, that she'll get slaughtered before we can step in.

Besides, Jing does like being dashing and heroic on occasion.

tropic

Scholar
Well, that alone should be enough to indicate that she will get slaughtered in D and then we have a 1v1 on our hands which our instincts are strongly warning us against.

Agreed... I'm also wondering:

If his qi seems to be roughly equal, what's making him so threatening? Is it willingness to kill? Because he tried to kill us on the road, too.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Bai Jiutian has lesser neigong than you. Sword Saint has lesser neigong than Zhang Jue. Doesn't mean they suck or are not threatening at all. Quality is important too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom