Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [LP] Bleed for your Kingdom, officer! Codex plays Guns of Infinity

Really? Usually we’ve been getting “what do you say” style questions followed by “do you actually believe this” like when that guy was asking us if we thought he had a brilliant plan.
Yep. It is not consistant with the way it has been done before, granted.

"Tierran ladies are not blessed with the advantages of the women of Takara."

Lord Cassius's eyebrow rises in question. "Oh? I must admit, I have had little intercourse with human women, but I find them to be of an intelligence equal to the men of your species, though judging by your traditions, perhaps that is not particularly a good thing."

You feel an anger rising within you as you confront the ambassador's rather brusque observation. "By possessing the ability to protect their own body and honour through the ability to banecast without restriction, Takaran women are not possessed of the same fragility and innocence as ours," you answer. "Perhaps that is why our society seems so constricted to your own eyes, because in yours, ladies are free to discard such virtues for mannish libertinage?"

The Takaran smirks at your increasingly heated reply. "Yet, you too are incapable of banecasting without restriction. It seems to me that Tierran women are inferior only to Takaran ones, and not to Tierran men." The blond-haired diplomat waves the matter away with a languid sweep of his hand. "Perhaps now is not the time to discuss such matters; let us turn to more agreeable talk, perhaps?" he declares, smirking with the condescending superiority of a man who knows he is in the right.

Smug point-eared bastard.

"Have you done any soldiering yourself?"

The young Takaran nobleman shakes his head. "I have had no combat experience, if that is what you mean, though…" His expression turns somewhat annoyed. "I did the course at the infantry officers' training school at Konnoji-zyr-Rusch. My father would hardly have abided any scion of House Holt without formal military training. I suppose my sister will be subject to the same ordeal soon enough."

"Your father puts a great deal of stock in military preparedness?" you ask.

Lord Cassius nods. "A great deal of it. He is of the belief that no man or woman can be fit to hold power until they have a grasp of the basics of military command."

Such an experience seems utterly foreign. You cannot think of a time where the baneblooded houses of Tierra would have required their sons not only to acquire commissions within the army but to demand that they earn them through some sort of school like common clerks. Then again, you must suppose that things in Takara are very different, more so in the house of Lord Cassius's father.

The young ambassador seems to scent your apprehension. "I understand such a thing might seem outlandish to Tierrans, but then again, you have not had our experience in such matters. Takara has been a great power since the beginning of civilisation, and we must maintain readiness in the face of any impertinent would-be usurpers." He smiles again, but this time, it is a more sly, thoughtful expression. "The Antari serve as a cautionary tale in that regard. Had the men in charge of Kharangia known how to defend a city, we would likely not be sitting here now."

You feel your eyebrow rise of its own accord. "I beg pardon, sir?"

Lord Cassius either does not sense your protesting tone or intentionally rides roughshod right over it. "From what information I have been able to gather, the Antari bungled the defence badly. Why did they not enfilade the breach with infantry at the top of the walls? Why did they not bury mines in the rubble or set up breastworks behind the breach? There are half a hundred things a competent defender could have done."

1) "Indeed, perhaps such measures would have defeated us."
2) "We would have taken the city regardless."
3) "It is a moot point, for the enemy did not do anything of the sort."

As of the Winter of the 610th year of the Old Imperial Era

Sir Alaric d'al Ortiga
Wealth: 488
Income: 15

Soldiering: 75%

Charisma: 43%

Intellect: 5%

Health: 65%

Idealism: 83% Cynicism: 17%

Ruthlessness: 36% Mercy: 64%

You are a Knight of the Red, having the right to wear bane-hardened armour and wield a bane-runed sword.

You have no decorations as of yet.

Sixth Squadron, Royal Dragoons
Senior NCO: Staff-sergeant Hernandes

Discipline: 49%

Morale: 54%

Loyalty: 39%

Strength: 79%

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
1. Let us not overestimate our own abilities. Prudence and wisdom beget all successful military campaigns.

An aside to this, the entry into the city was bungled. We all saw it.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Why do fantasy authors feel the need to make their elves pointy-eared long-lived with more magic beings smug as fuck

Your tone, you suppose, might have been a little sharp, especially for the task of conversing with an emissary of one of the greatest military powers in existence, but Lord Cassius takes no offence.

He merely nods and laughs softly. "I suppose you are right. The Antari did none of those things, which is why we are having this conversation now, yes?"

Indeed.

(A-a-and I fucked up. There is one more question. BONUS ROUND)

1) "How does Takara see our war?"
2) "You seem to me very young to be an ambassador."

Sir Alaric d'al Ortiga

You are a Knight of the Red, having the right to wear bane-hardened armour and wield a bane-runed sword.

Lord Cassius offers a wry quirk of his lips, half amusement and half embarrassment. "Actually, we do not think much of the war at all," he admits. "To us, it is just another squabble between periphery powers, like the civil war in M'hidyos."

The ambassador expounds on the matter with a frankness verging on the tactless. "Most Takarans concern themselves little with the conflicts and affairs of foreign nations. They are content to sit complacent in the knowledge that if something across the sea were to affect them, then the Aldkizern and his ministries would handle it."

To think that this war against a mighty foe, the greatest and most desperate in your country's history, might be considered little more than a minor squabble is a strange notion. For Tierra, the war is a matter of life and death. To the Takarans, who sit safe behind their all-powerful navy and almighty intelligence apparatus, it is nothing more than a sideshow.

The concept is both humbling and humiliating, and it quickly becomes clear to you that the only profitable course would be to change the subject entirely. Before you can speak again, your thoughts are interrupted by the bright ringing of a spoon being tapped upon crystal. Your eyes are drawn to the source of the noise, and as soon as you fix upon it, you are filled with a pall of dread.

His Grace, the Duke of Havenport is standing, and in his hand rests a glass of rich Cunarian red.

The toasts have begun.

Over the next half-hour, you have little time to think about anything. All you can do is raise your glass as Havenport and his fellow senior officers offer toast after toast; first, the obligatory one to the health of His Tierran Majesty, then to the Takaran Aldkizern and Lord Cassius, and then a sequence of more plaudits directed to increasingly more superfluous figures and abstract concepts, accompanied by increasingly longer and more wearying speeches.

Perhaps, one day, when you stand among the exalted ranks of the colonels and generals-of-brigade, you too will find some joy in proposing endless toasts. However, while you still remain a 'mere' captain, too junior to offer toasts in such exalted company, it seems the point of such a fruitless exercise will remain elusive to you.

It is all you can do to manage another bite or two from your plate after each toast before some colonel of the Line Infantry or other inevitably stands up and makes another. "To a fruitful campaigning season," perhaps, or "To our friends and fellows in His Majesty's Navy, may the convoys they guard arrive swiftly and safely."

All in all, a rather tedious process, and you cannot say that you are much saddened when the Duke rises again and offers what is formally the final toast of the evening.

"Ladies and gentlemen, to the valiant dead. May their names be remembered forevermore," he intones.

"The valiant dead," you echo solemnly through the weary chorus.

As gratified as you may be by the end of the toasts, the fallen of His Majesty's army, among them good men whom you have fought beside, deserve all the respect you can muster for them. That is something you will not forgo for any reason.

-

Now, with the toasts dispensed with, the tables are cleared, the few ladies in attendance make their way out, and the evening devolves into its most informal and terminal phase. Out comes the thick M'hidiyossi cigars, the small glasses of Wulframite digestive liquor both thick and sweet, and the bottles of brandy.

To your right, a heated debate erupts over some nonsensical scandal involving an actress and some baronet whom you have never heard of. To your left, Lord Cassius speaks in hushed tones with the Duke of Havenport.

Only now do you finally have the time to form an opinion of the Takaran envoy.

1) Lord Cassius is a pompous fool, nothing less, and certainly nothing more.
2) Surely, he is an arrogant fellow but an intelligent and good-hearted one.
3) A friendship with such a man would serve my ambitions well.
4) I would like nothing better than to be his friend.

Sir Alaric d'al Ortiga

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom