Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Love it!

Section8

Cipher
First of all, a big hearty congratulations to Wolf Mittag, Arne Niemuth, Volker Schlanze and Patrick Mumpower for bringing another quality indie RPG to the scene. I've barely scratched the surface of the demo version and look forward to ordering the full version as soon as my meagre student allowance permits.

Secondly welcome to the Codex, I hope you find the locals aren't too barbaric.

Thirdly, to anyone out there trying out the game. Eat a red mushroom or two. :)

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I would love to try this game but I cannot even get the demo to install. It tells me the default directory's name it too long or something like that, but it won't let me change the directory name I wish the game installed to. It looks really awesome though and I hope they release a new demo that solves my problem as I really really really want to try this game.

Wolf Mittag

Wolf Mittag Software Development
Developer
Hi,

install / default directory's too long: I'll fix this.

Could you tell me what your Windows-default path for your user files is? (eg: "C:\documents and user settings\userabcd\ My Files")
And what version of Windows are you working with (XP/NT)?

Thank you! Regards
Wolf

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Wolf Mittag said:
Could you tell me what your Windows-default path for your user files is? (eg: "C:\documents and user settings\userabcd\ My Files")
And what version of Windows are you working with (XP/NT)?

Sure. :)

I am running Windows ME and the path to my user files is:

C:\My Documents

At least that's where any game I have that stores user files in a seperate directory from the game itself puts them. Usually in a folder with the game's name, like:

C:\My Documents\Command and Conquer Generals Data\

And so forth. Hope this helps. :)

Wolf Mittag

Developer
Hi Section8,
thank you! I'm glad you like the game.
I'll be around later; now I fist have to fix that CreateFolder-problem Otaku_Hanzo reported...
Wolf

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Well, I definitely appreciate the fast response. Looking forward to being able to play the demo and check it out. Looks like a title I would definitely purchase, that's for sure. :)

Wolf Mittag

Developer
Setup/WinME, problem w/ folder names

Hi Otaku_Hanzo,
I've written a fix for this problem:
http://www.teudogar.com/tdogr100setupfix.exe (127 KB)
This program will change the Teudogar-folder-information in your registry.
When you subsequently run Tdogr100.Exe, it'll think the game has already been installed to c:\teudogar and c:\my documents\teudogar: It'll therefore behave like it was doing an update, and install the game to these folders.
Hopefully, that should work on your system...
Regards
Wolf

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Well, I must say that was pleasantly fast. Just tested it out and it installed fine. Started it up and everything went smoothly. Now I can check this baby out. Thanks alot. If nothing else, your fast response on this has almost definitely ensured my purchase of this game once I have the funds. One thing I did notice though was that my mouse response became quite jerky whenever dialogue options came up. It was nothing major and definitely not game killing though.

Thanks again for the fast response. :)

Wolf Mittag

Developer
mouse control feels slow/jerky during dialogues on some systems: this is due to the text background shading (which I programmed in a rather unelegant way).
Fix: F4 (Options Menu), Graphics, dialog text backgr: black or none (instead of shade).

snoek

Cipher
Damn,the demo has me addicted. I ate some good mushrooms (which belonged to a priest) so i started to dance around naked losing all control,after that i was cursed by the priests :'(

Wolf Mittag

Developer
snoek said:
I ate some good mushrooms (which belonged to a priest) so i started to dance around naked losing all control,after that i was cursed by the priests :'(

explanation: Nordic warriors used drugs such as toadstool mushrooms to work themselves into trance and fury before battles. This is where the expression "to go berserk" comes from (Berserkr = Nordic: bear-man).

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Funny thing is, norse mythos refer to it as Odin's blessing instead of some drug induced rage. In all my studies of the norse pantheons, I never once encountered a reference to drugs being used by the nordic warriors. Matter of fact, most history books will not even mention this fact. The only places I've found mention of it was in books specifically about the norse vikings and their way of life as well as various resources on the internet. Not even any of the viking movies ever made cover this fact. At least, not any that I know of.

Anyways, been reading through the online dictionary for the game and I'm quite impressed, I must say. You've done a bang up job here. Can't wait to see just how deep this game goes. :)

dipdipdip

Liturgist
I'm very much liking what I'm seeing so far. I had a perma-smile on my face the whole time.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Don't have time to post a thoughtful impression, but in a few words: get the demo, it's worth it and it's only 6 mb. Get it now, don't be stoopid :)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Wolf Mittag said:
explanation: Nordic warriors used drugs such as toadstool mushrooms to work themselves into trance and fury before battles. This is where the expression "to go berserk" comes from (Berserkr = Nordic: bear-man).

Is there an upside to this? While you're raging around naked and out of control, do you gain any real benefit from it?

Anonymous

Saint P:

Saw this on a History Channel thing about unconventional warfare. The Beserkers who reputedly used this tactic got worked up into such a frenzy that they faught unarmored (in animal skins) and thought themselves invincible. In addition to the benefit of greatly intimidating the enemy, they were useful in short campaigns since when launching offensives they easily broke though enemy lines of defense. Unfortunelty, these warriors werent very useful (or helpful) in peacetime and often turned to marauding after their use in war was through. Similar tactics of employing mind influencing substances in times of war have been used as recently as the Mogadishu incident in '93 by the forces of warlord Mohamed Farrah Aidid.

Shevek

Arcane
Woah, I didnt know I could post without being logged in...

Ah well, Guest is me.

Wolf Mittag

Developer
Shevek gave an excellent summary on this Berserk thing. And Otaku_Hanzo is right as well: The use of drugs as a way to get worked up is documentated only for the Vikings, not for the early Germanic peoples. However, Berserk-like tactics (totally naked, frenzied warriors) seem to have been used by groups of warriors from the Cimbrians and other tribes in battles against the Romans.

You'd go Berserk by stomping your feet and screaming (somewhat like getting high on the dancefloor); the underlaying belief may have been that your soul would leave your body (that's why you were senseless), and that you could call animals' souls (e.g. a wild and strong bear's soul) to take its place. In addition to being stronger, you'd be invincible.

I've read of modern experiments showing that such a state of frenzy does indeed not only cease feelings of pain (most people know this from sports; when you're full of adrenaline, you don't notice injuries) and incease strength, but also appearantly causes the blood to thicken, thus reducing loss of blood.

As far as the toadstool mushrooms are concerned, I've read some people still use these as drugs. (Never tried this, and wouldn't recommend it either, since they're definitly poisonous and an overdose might be lethal.) These and other herbs were regularily added to beer up until the Middle Ages, to improve its intoxicating effect.

In the game there's no real benefit to the Berserk spell - you're stronger, but since you've got to take off your armor and have no control, you'll usually be slain. And the mushrooms, well, it's more of a joke than a serious game feature...

Fez

Erudite
Anonymous said:
Otaku_Hanzo I definitely agree with yor argument.

Aha! A spelling mistake - it's a human troll and not a bot after all.

Anonymous

Hi,
Just baught the full version after playing the demo for bout 4 months.. All i have to do now is wait for it to come.
You convinced me when i found out you put Lorica Segmenta in the game.
Is there any other projectile weapons in the game other then throwing your spear?
As everyone else has said-this game is fantastic!
beats the life out of a hell load of commercial RPG's out there.

You convinced me when i found out you put Lorica Segmenta in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom