Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LOTR MMO

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So In need a fix of Tolkien and heard there is MMO based on LOTR called Lords of Ring Online which went free to play recently... So gentlemen, goyim, gays and tranies is the game any good? I hate MMOS but heard you can play this one ignoring other players; any tips which race/class is best for solo play? Discuss faggots.

Beastro

Arcane
LOTRO is fun as a theme park MMO game, but once you get near the max level there's nothing to keep you going.

If you plan on soloing for most of your time I recommend the Captain class. You don't do much damage but can keep fighting for a long time and do shit other classes like the Ranger can't like many of the storyline quests.

Ninjerk

Arcane
My cousin loved it, but his threshold for enjoying games was pretty low and he cared for Tolkien far more than I did.

I had a lot of fun back when LOTRO was new, before the Moria expansion. It was an atmospheric MMO (the soundtrack was brilliant) with a lot of classic Tolkien locations (I remember being really impressed by Weathertop), and it was pretty difficult too.

But that was almost 10 years ago, I'm sure everything is a one hit kill now and basically, everything is shit.

Harpsichord

Arcane
I think the only reason I ever spent anymore time on it than any other EQ-like MMO was that the community was populated by adults. But like the Great Deceiver mentions, that was a really really long time ago.

That said, it did a really great job of rendering Middle Earth within those confines, and was full of fluffy quests that really helped with muh immersion. The class design was also really nice, and while it didn't manage to outright break the healer/tank/dps triad it did a pretty good job of providing a unique interpretation of those archetypes.

Aothan

Magister
yeah I have often heard good things about the game, and I suppose a lot depends on your playstyle, if you are like me and can enjoy solo playing whilst gradually advancing it could be enjoyable for this type of game. I have briefly tried LoTR about six or so months ago and it seemed good, almost an mmo version of NWN which is perfectly workable for my interests

Jazz_

Arcane
So can someone talk more about this game, like does it have open PVP, interesting guild content, guild housing, factions, etc?

I was interested in LOTRO too some years ago but in the end I didn't try it because I kept reading that there was basicly no pvp, and I only play MMORPG for the pvp.

v1rus

Arcane
So can someone talk more about this game, like does it have open PVP, interesting guild content, guild housing, factions, etc?

Nay, no pvp. It has some cheap excuse, cant remember whats it called. If i remember right, players can make monster characters for the "battleground" area, and fight other players there. No content for monster characters outside the battleground tho.

It does have both guild and character housing, and afaik, the game did its best to stay "by the book", and did that rather well. Was a fun game, I'd def recommend at least a try.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

I was interested in LOTRO too some years ago but in the end I didn't try it because I kept reading that there was basicly no pvp, and I only play MMORPG for the pvp.
Yeah I like it too, can you recommend me a good MMO with open PVP? It's what I've been looking for the last weeks with no result :negative:

There is currently not a single game that is a combination of good, MMO, open and PvP. You can tick two categories at most.

Yeah I like it too, can you recommend me a good MMO with open PVP? It's what I've been looking for the last weeks with no result :negative:
Have you tried the resurrected versions of Darkfall?

I haven't, but the original Darkfall did open world PVP really nicely. It was also one of the few MMOs where moving your character was smooth and responsive, which is a big plus in my books. Too bad it was really light on content other than combat.

fake edit: I watched a few recent New Dawn vidoes and they look pretty much like the original.

Jazz_

Arcane
:nocountryforshitposters:
I, too, play video games only for their worst elements.

Pve-fag who got wrecked, ganked and full looted detected. But seriously, in a MMORPG you either do pve or pvp or both, I never cared about pve because it's something I can have in single player rpgs, pvp is the defining and most interesting aspect of mmorpgs for me. I don't get how pvp is necessarily ''the worst element'' of mmorpgs since you have shitloads of them all with combat and pvp of varying quality.

Gerrard

Arcane
The nature of combat in almost all MMORPGs makes it impossible to make good PvP in the first place (unless maybe the PvP is objective oriented, but even then the fighting part will be shit).

Naraya

Arcane
IMO the only game that implemented PvP well was Guild Wars.
Devs who insist on the exact same set of skills for both PvE and PvP are retarded. Guild Wars found an elegant and simple solution.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
This is a good one to meet RL girls in.

This is actually more true than it initially shows. Especially if you play on Laurelin (The RP server) there's shitloads of good looking women and most of them go as far as ERPing for sake of 'character progression'. It's insane.

They also seem to have higher rate of sending nudes than usually.

Severian Silk

I played for about 6 months and got nary a nude pic.

Jazz_

Arcane
The nature of combat in almost all MMORPGs makes it impossible to make good PvP in the first place (unless maybe the PvP is objective oriented, but even then the fighting part will be shit).

This is a non-sense statement, the ''nature of combat'' changes radically from game to game (unless you only played themepark wow-clones).

Beastro

Arcane
I had a lot of fun back when LOTRO was new, before the Moria expansion. It was an atmospheric MMO (the soundtrack was brilliant) with a lot of classic Tolkien locations (I remember being really impressed by Weathertop), and it was pretty difficult too.

But that was almost 10 years ago, I'm sure everything is a one hit kill now and basically, everything is shit.

The Moria expack is fun to go through, Mirkwood is kinda meh as I felt much of the expack revolved around grouping and you don't get to do that much I found. Isengard one was ok, I quit soon after it came out. The same problem hits once you max out, as there is almost no raiding and end game, just grinding for gear since the gutted the old raid mechanics.

When I played back in 2012 old raids were only done for the storyline quest for lowbies, house items and different gear appearances that still look neat, only one raid was in Isengard, against a dragon, and only a couple guilds bothered with it.

If you plan to just have something neat to lv through and enjoy for a few months, it's good from beginning to Lothlorien, but when you get into Mirkwood proper the novelty drops off steeply. I'd recommend purchasing zones outside of it to work through the levels it deals with, IIRC the zones south of the Moria western entrance tackle them and maintain the old feel of the game.

:nocountryforshitposters:
I, too, play video games only for their worst elements.

Pve-fag who got wrecked, ganked and full looted detected. But seriously, in a MMORPG you either do pve or pvp or both, I never cared about pve because it's something I can have in single player rpgs, pvp is the defining and most interesting aspect of mmorpgs for me. I don't get how pvp is necessarily ''the worst element'' of mmorpgs since you have shitloads of them all with combat and pvp of varying quality.

I love PvP servers, they have a very different climate. I wasn't good at EQ PvP at all, but the social changes PvP had on Rallos Zek allowed it to never be boring. From the typically asshole PKs to the high number of antis that actually sought PvP in an anti way and kept the server form degenerating into a griefing hellhole like Sullon (and every emu server since) turned into.

Atm I'm on Phinigel, but I wouldn't have even bothered had it not been with rejoining my old RZ guild there and the very anti-PK attitude of it that is very laid back, competent and nice to everyone. On Ragefire and Lockjaw we made a huge impression by being about the only non-asshole top raid guild while our raid leader gained massive respect for being the only one that wasn't a man child that remained calm and level headed when surrounded the idiots that ran most of the other guilds.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
the ''nature of combat'' changes radically from game to game (unless you only played themepark wow-clones).
So the nature of combat changes radically as long as you don't play the 99.99% of the games in the genre, okay.

Jazz_

Arcane
So the nature of combat changes radically as long as you don't play the 99.99% of the games in the genre, okay.

Last 3 mmorpgs I have tried: Darkfall, AOC, Mortal Online. All 3 have drasticly different combat systems and pvp mechanics, and they have nothing to do with WOW's combat. Besides, I did enjoy WOW's combat and pvp until TBC was replaced by the new expansion, doing instances with my guild bored me to death while open world pvp, battlegrounds and arenas were the reasons I played. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tried this shit and made Gondorian Captain and Dorf Champion... both are fun to play although Human path is more interesting and Captain Healing abilities a bit OP. Worth DL-ing for 6 hours so far I must say... I play on this Euro Eng RP Server btw if comeone still plays this game on Codex we could do something together... although I must say so far it plays like goood SP RPG... I can ignore other retards running around and they ignore me. :hero:

Jazz_

Arcane
Watched this video today, looks quite beautiful considering how old it is:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom