Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lost and forgotten (except by us)

Lucky

Arcane
Donald in Maui Mallard / Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow

The best Disney game ever made. It’s a platformer/action game in the same vein as Earthworm Jim with a somewhat more serious tone (which isn’t hard to do). Great levels. Great atmosphere. Great platforming. Great combat. Everything just feels, looks and sounds amazing and it's incredibly fun. It should have been a classic, but was held back by poor marketing and bad timing regarding its release. Anyone with a love for Earthworm Jim should definitely give this game a try. There are differences between the PC/Genesis and SNES version though, so I’d recommend getting the PC version if you can – especially for the music.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
kickstart-2-c64-download.jpg

That intro music was fucking amazing, and great game indeed.

Dayyālu

Arcane
The best Disney game ever made.

I do somewhat disagree with this. About Disney Games, we have Treasure Planet: Battle at Procyon. It's rather simple for its age (that means it's quite complex for modern standards) and it is rather charming. You command a fleet with direct control on the single weapons, in a 2d space. A dumber, Disney version of Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.

Funny thing, it's a Barking Dog Studios production, and I bet they got some inspiration out of their experience with Homeworld Cataclysm while working on this.

yajxma.jpg

raiyrw.jpg

And I'm quite sorry if my suggestions are not up to snuff due my young age, but I'll try nonetheless with some other titles:

Perimeter. Russian RTS. And that's about it: focus on terraforming, morphing units, a somewhat insane sci-fi universe, and the usual problems of Russian stuff: uneven gameplay, substandard AI and terrible framerate. Very good ideas brought down by a imperfect final product.

Genesis Rising. Another mix of weird sci-fi and space combat somewhat terrible dubbing and a crazy, crazy universe with a rabid human empire employing "living ships". Gameplay was mediocre, but it gets points for being a space game and for originality.

And now, a game this thread made me rediscover. Glider, a puzzle game where you get to play as a paper airplane and have to navigate maze-like houses. I discover only now that it was a Mac game and I somehow played a PC version when I was a toddler. There is even a free flash version, and it's a rather nice way to kill a min or two. I don't even know if this is supposed to be famous or something.

http://www.ridiculopathy.com/games.php?gamename=glider

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
rezaf was kind enough to put together an alphabetical list of all the games in the thread so far. I've edited the OP to include it. Hopefully he makes an appearance to receive his fisting, as is proper.

rezaf

Cipher
rezaf was kind enough to put together an alphabetical list of all the games in the thread so far. I've edited the OP to include it. Hopefully he makes an appearance to receive his fisting, as is proper.

As I wrote in PM, thanks for making the list available to everyone - hopefully it will be of some use. :)

Riskbreaker

Chasm: The Rift
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/chasm-the-rift
Really solid and moody FPS with somewhat Quake-ish visuals. It has this really fun dismemberment system: one can, for example, shot off enemy's weapon-bearing arm, or even shoot both of his arms off for teh lulz and leave him to wander around trying to bite ya to death (seriously).
Now, there are some major limitations to game's engine: maps are basically flat planes sprinkled with 3D models. No floors over floors, and what little height variations there is comes from said 3D models. Game is pretty good damn looking tho: great lightning, really classy texture-work, well-detailed environments.
I'd say it's definitely worth playing: I liked it when I first played it, and I liked it when I replay'd it few week ago.

Pretty good stuff, I think I mentioned it in some other thread. I actually played it for the first time only few months ago, some time after ND released it on Steam. Really enjoyable game.

Last edited by a moderator:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You know I shouldn't really complain, but it would be nice if everyone gave a little descriptive paragraph for why they thought a game deserves to be remembered.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I also played Chasm: The Rift few months ago with addon and it was p.cool. Last boss was copypasta of the Shub Niggurath.
And that platform on the 2nd level of first episode, :argh:

That XS game reminded me about Bet on Soldier series, also revenge that need to wait, cause first - give the entertainent. No comments a'la Devil Inside* and no hassle except duels so I could play slowly, taking down enemies that shred my precious plates.
It's one of very few FPS titles, where aiming down sight didn't irritated me, mostly because neat precision boost and the fact that there wasn't that much FPSes with this system at the time, IIRC they still were relleasing WWII FPS ...
You can choose various team members (soldier, sniper, technic etc.) but most of the time you get the latest one because he fix your armor for free, which is absolutely crucial. Oh, and health restore only after mission.
Story is same like Iron Storm - endless war, trutht is - it's all fueled by corporations for stock market.
Oh and guess what - you can save in special stations, for a money :M

Even the lattest one (Blackout Saigon and Blood on Sahara) were enjoyable yet shorter and without notable story.
No way in hell I ever reinstall them, thanks to nasty DRM - Starforce. Don't want infect my machine.
And yet GOG/Steam give no promos, there was one bundle that I missed and Gamersgate who have all 3 games do no promos too. Crap.
672993-920858_20050630_002.jpg
uan-soldiers-1.jpg
bet-on-soldier-1.jpg
wrf-soldier-1.jpg
809596-bet_on_soldier4.jpg
133811-bet-on-soldier-blood-sport-windows-screenshot-you-will-come.jpg
3-1024_2694.jpg
Bet-on-Soldier-Blood-Sport-Single-player.jpg

*also notable example. Devil Inside You play as a ginger assistant of the biggest TV showman of the night shows. Shoot the undeads, hear the audience screaming in awe, get inspiration from the Jack.
Who lead the show? Jack the Ripper! Ha!
It was also part of special postcommunist plan to release cheap games and convert people to the light side and reduce piracy a bit. 19,99PLN (potatos) vs average prices 69, 99, 159 and even 199 PLN, where average income was 850PLN? Great plan.
The last game from this program was Painkiller, for mere 19PLN. Still pirated. :M Adrian Chmielarz got hard butthurt, sold the IP (latest PKs stink) and started sucking Cliffy B.'s fabulous dick.

Just like Crime Cities - I have no idea if this work on modern systems.
devil_b3_790screen002_zps23c57700.jpg
340421-devilinside_003.jpg

95604c72f96e487fa498ed923c511ff2.jpg

Devil-Inside-Patch.jpg
PS. I though Invictus - Shadow of the Olympus was mediocore? Seems like I need to review my old opinion.

Last edited:

Lucky

Arcane
The Tone Rebellion

I already made a thread on this, but it’s worth restating it here. Pretty much my personal favourite. A strategy game made by The Logic Factory, who also made Ascendancy. It manages to do something truly unusual in how it captures an inhuman atmosphere through the way in which it combines gameplay, visuals and music. This is what makes it exceptional and why it’s still very much worth playing.

Word of warning. Don’t use the latest patch if you have it or plan to get it. It screws up which spells the spellcasters get. The version before that is just as stable and does not have this problem. The game otherwise runs fine on modern systems.

As for the music, it’s is done by Nenad Vugrinec and excellent:

Ascendancy

4x game by The Logic Artist. A game that succeeds in making the alien races actually feel like aliens, rather than reskinned humans. The closest thing to relatable species are the space mammoths and six-legged reptilians. Another game with a great combination of gameplay, art and sound. It’s also actually fun to play, rather than some 4x games that just drag on forever. However, the lack of a challenging AI holds back its replayability, though there’s a patch that helps to alleviate this to some degree. It's also quite easy to get into, thanks to the comprehensive tutorial and well-designed UI. Highly recommended.

The Logic Factory are supposedly still working on Ascendancy II, but the domain of their website is up for sale and there hasn’t been any news in years.

The great music is again done by Nenad Vuhrinec:

I highly recommend giving both Tone Rebellion and Ascendancy a try to see whether they appeal to you, as they succeed in doing something that’s truly unique in a way that’s fun to play. They’re also games that you have to try for yourself since so much depends on whether the atmosphere clicks with you.

Airfix Dogfighter

Very fun...well, dogfighting game made by Unique Development Studios and Paradox Entertainment. It’s about a war between model sized Axis and Allies in a residential home. You pick a side and then use a model airplane to fight the enemy throughout a number of missions. The flying itself is fast and smooth, sacrificing realism to facilitate the dogfighting gameplay. You also take damage from bouncing against objects but don’t die instantly, further emphasising that you’re allowed to be wild in your piloting. The game is neither difficult nor particularly long, but fun and both campaigns are worth playing for the missions and to toy around with the different air planes that you get to use.

Lego Rockraiders

Surprisingly good LEGO game about digging and exploring, by Data Design Interactive. Find walls to dig and open up caves to explore. Build up your base to support more rock raiders, so that you can dig better and explore more. Blow up walls that can’t be dug. Reinforce walls that collapse and interrupt your digging. Build machines to dig faster and traverse dangerous terrain. Fight off enemies that get in the way of your digging and exploring. Also, you can go into first person mode and dig yourself, or drive around in one of the vehicles.

Vikings - The Strategy of Ultimate Conquest

Difficult strategy/RPG hybrid game by Random Games, where you play as a Scandinavian chief out to become the ruler of Scandinavia. To do so, you have to lead your people and go out to conquer foreign lands. There are land and sea battles, with both types of battle being real time. Once troops get involved, the number of units depends on how many lieutenants you have (who can also level up and have skills). The health of those units is then determined by how you distributed your men among the lieutenants. The goal is then to reach the enemy leader and to kill them. However, if your own leader fights him it ends up becoming a one-on-one duel. Loser dies.

The RPG part, in addition to levelling system, comes from how you play as the Viking leader. The game is played with you assuming the role of your created character, meaning that everything is always done from the perspective of said character, rather than as abstracted leader of your people. You trade with the trader, settle local disputes, visit foreign towns, promote warriors, get married for money, talk to characters to learn rumours or quests, and so. This also means that when you die or get captured, it’s game over. These RPG parts are the strongest part of the game, since they get you involved in the character you are playing and consequently your quest of conquest. The battles themselves are fun, though not especially deep, but rely on the RPG parts for you to get invested.

An unusual detail about the game that’s also worth mentioning, is that it has most of its text voiced-over by a narrator (who’s not even that bad a voice actor).

Last edited:

Lucky

Arcane
Sacrifice

Still one of a kind. A game by Shiny where you essentially get to play a wizard on his way to epic levels. The combination of real-time strategy, base building and action is kind of chaotic in practice, but also really fun. They made it so that spellcasting feels satisfying in both the casting and in the effects of the spells themselves – a high level spell like a tornado actually feels like you are throwing a tornado on the battlefield. The multiplayer scene is dead, so no chance of using those spells on human players, but the singleplayer mode is still more than worth buying the game for. Its campaign involves you being a wizard who has to choose between levels on which god to serve, which changes how the story develops, what level you play, what troops you can summon and what spells you get. It has tons of replay value as a result of this, with the game allowing you to stay faithful to single god or spreading your attention and learning different spells to both fight and summon with. There are often also consequences for how you act during a mission, resulting in it ending differently or getting boons. The game does get a lot easier when you play it multiple times, but even so the battles themselves are still a lot of fun and serving some gods is more difficult than serving others.

The way the game looks and sounds also stands out. The main aesthetic is one of deformation, with nothing looking normal in the way that we are used to. As a result, even typical fantasy creatures have a freshness to them that you don’t usually find in games. The music is also great and the voice acting does a great job of adding some personality to the gods. It is also the sort of game where you have characters make funny comments if you click on them repeatedly.

You can get the game on GOG if you want to play it, though you can also try out the demo first to get a taste of the gameplay.

Starship Titanic

Adventure game made by The Digital Village, with Douglas Adams as the designer. Very Douglas Adam-ish, meaning that you’d better enjoy his brand of humour or you’re wasting your time.

You travel aboard the starship titanic after its maiden voyage went wrong, interacting with its the robot crew that has gone quite crazy – crazy as in loony, not homicidal. You do this with Spookitalk, meaning that you type in what you want to stay and they react accordingly. This is both fun to play around with and can be rather testing when you’re looking for the right string of words to solve a puzzle. All their dialogue is also voiced and generally of good quality, adding a welcome bit of character to the lifeless automatons. Their dialogue is also versatile, like how you can come back to the bell-bot after you’ve upgraded your class and fiddle with her dialogue to hear how her responses now differ.

The puzzles themselves tend to be rather obtuse, frequently requiring bizarre jumps in logic on the part of the player. If that’s not your thing, then you’re probably not going to enjoy this game. Worth noting though is that the ways in which you move around, listen, talk and interact are entertaining rather than an annoyance - like how the game uses music in a lot of clever ways to match the mood of different areas (the elevator having proper elevator music to match the respective floors, or a singing gondola robot). It gives everything that you do an extra bit of charm and keeps you motivated to figure out the puzzles.

Outcast

A classic, though not to the degree that it deserves to be. Action-adventure game by Belgian developer Appeal. A sequel was planned, but then the developers went bankrupt. Then tried to kickstart a remake last year, but that failed too. However, openoutcast still seems to be trucking along so there’s yet hope for more adventures in Adelpha.

The game itself excels at having you explore and interact with an alien world. You explore the lands, talk with the Talan that live there, learn about their culture, and try to overthrow their oppressors (or you save and go on a killing spree). This works because the game plays the experience entirely straight, with there being neither excessive grit nor Disney natives. A Talan who for example tries to teach you a work song adds some humour by insulting your lousy singing, but the song itself and its meaning are genuine, and the conversation never turns to slapstick. Your singing is bad, but he appreciates the emotion nonetheless. Things like that reflect how the game assumes that you are genuinely interested in learning more about these people and it doesn’t mock you for approaching a game like that. This in contrast to many other games where the lore is either painfully generic and not worth learning, or doesn’t take itself serious enough for you to put in the effort.

The combat itself is decent, being satisfying enough on its own but clearly not the main goal of the game. The graphics still look nice, combining competent art design with the use of voxels. Finally, the music, primarily composed by Lennie Moore, is great at evoking the feeling of a world that is both alien and familiar. All these elements combined make for a truly great game that really captures what it means to go on an adventure.

The GOG version recently got updated so that it runs more smoothly on modern systems. So if you couldn’t get your old discs to run, getting the GOG version might be a solution.

Creatures 1/2/3

A series of complex life raising games made by Creature Labs. The best of its kind, focused entirely on simulating the biological processes of creatures for the purpose of interaction. The player takes on the role of raising and guiding the Norns from their infancy to adulthood and eventually death, then moving on to their offspring. You can interact with the world itself in many ways, but are also limited and need to act through the Norns to get certain things done. To do this, you can teach them language and commands so that they’ll listen to you and experiment with their genes to see how it affects them. The amount of ways you can influence their development are very in-depth, making this an ideal game for gamers with a strong nurturing streak. With effort, you can even raise the Ettin and Grendel races, though their natural impulses are harder to deal with (Grendels are basically natural assholes). A simpler version called Creatures Village was also released, for those who prefer a bit less complexity.

The game also still has an active mod scene, with lots of modds that add a ton of variance to the game. All of the PC games are also available on GOG.

A sequel called Creatures Online is in the make, but Steve Grand has gone on to kickstart the game Grandroids, which he is still working on.

Giants Citizen Kabuto

Sort of well known, but not well known enough. Action, strategy and Godzilla game by Planet Moon Studios with lots of humour. The story is good, in a crazy kind of way, although it loses most of its steam by the time you get to the Godzilla parts. The gameplay is impressive in that the three different ways of playing that the game offers are all enjoyable in their own way – flying and gunning with the meccs, zipping and cutting with Delpi and being a kaiju with Kabuto. The whole thing makes for a game that´s fun to play all the way through. It also has a great multiplayer mode, though no chance of playing these days. Good music too, though not as memorable as some of the other games mentioned above.

The game is available on GOG, for those interested. Some of the former devs are currently working on a spiritual sequel called ‘1st Wonder’ that I’m keeping my eye on. They seem to be planning on launching a kickstarter sometime soon.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Star Wars Rebellion
3565-star-wars-rebellion-windows-front-cover.jpg

98F60089EA884FF8ACCB6B259557A4FA.jpg

Rebellion_interfaz_1.jpg

1266924d8df17a68345.jpg

13169-star-wars-rebellion-windows-screenshot-battle-screen.jpg

13167-star-wars-rebellion-windows-screenshot-a-new-jedi.jpg

13168-star-wars-rebellion-windows-screenshot-battle-for-capial.jpg

Ohh Star Wars Rebellion...This one is one of the more underrated Lucas Arts game (it wasn't them who made it but they published), this is a 4X where you can play with the empire or the rebellion, the empire you start on a stronger posisiton on the core of the galaxy, where the best planets were but suffer attacks from rebels everywhere from the start. The rebels start on a shitty state and you pretty much has to cross the fingers to the Empire Ai to forget about you. There were even 3d battles when two fleets met each other (today the models are awful and blocky of course.) and ou could manouver the ships on 3d space what was mindblowing to my impressionable teenager mind at the time.

This game isn't Master of Orion of course, doesn't even get close but the feels you know... if you are a Star Wars fan, moving Lucas, Leia, Han Solo and Darth Vader on missions of sabotage, assassination or espionage all around the galaxy, building the Death Star and blowing up planets with that Star Wars soundtrack, amazing sound design and art that can make Star Wars fans melt on nostalgia... never got old. The major let down of the game for me was the Ai, it was very inconsistent but this game was far from being the only 4x to have that issue. It wasn't a mind blowing title to change generations but for Star Wars fans... it was gold and addicting as hell. Hey... I wonder if Disney would allow for some company to make a modern version of it? Nah... the silly I am, the average people don't waste time playing this nerdy stuff, they prefer wasting their time with reality shows and the 200 variations of CoD and Transformers.

Speaking of Lucas Arts...

Afterlife
101870-afterlife-dos-front-cover.jpg

222361-afterlife-dos-screenshot-zoom-out.png

222364-afterlife-dos-screenshot-zoomed-in-from-the-default-view.png

222360-afterlife-dos-screenshot-jasper-and-aria-your-advisors.png

2995-afterlife-windows-screenshot-from-dante-s-divine-sitoom-scenario.gif

Afterlife is a Sim City 2000 Clone, it has no shame into being one but... instead of messing with one map, you mess with two and they happen to be the hell and heaven plane of an alien race that suspiciously behave like humans. Imagine a game full of humor and charm, with a demon and angel as advisers that constantly bicker about everything and are hilarious as fuck, how about a game where if you fail, the four horse men of the apocalypse will destroy everything you created but they don't use horses, they are surfers riding on the waves of hot lava?

This is Afterlife, some people, even on the codex there are those types, believe that 2d art is a hipster thing but boy... even today looking at this game it looks really cool. AfterLife was game made on a time where people weren't trying to get rich ( I mean, not super rich and become the new Bill Gates.) and gamedesign wasn't this super serious stuff of balancing Excel spreadsheets or counting the amount of polygons on the nose of a character on the next bland game. The soundtrack, the premise, the dark humor, the 2d art and it played like a Sim City 2000 game, alot of fun. Probably a Cities Skylines beat the crap of it in terms of gameplay but in terms of charm? Where are the lightheated, charming games and game designers that don't take themselves so seriously these days?

Last edited:

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This thread is pure gold! Also I notice I know nothing about off-the-mainstream pc titles from the 80s and 90s.
2 games come to my mind no one talks about any more (and no one did when they were released), they have always been kind of unique:

Battlezone (1998)
Battlezone.jpg

screenshot_pc_battlezone_1998002.jpg

screenshot_pc_battlezone_1998003.jpg
In Battlezone, you drive around in your futuristic tank and fuck shit up, as usual. However, the twist is that it is actually a strategy game. You build your base, gather resources and build units that you send across the map. You issue all these commands from your tank commander's seat in 1st person and real time. It was a bit unwieldy but very original. Too original maybe, although it got universal critical acclaim, its sales were pathetic. There has been another similar game around the time, with its focus less on establishing base and more on fast-paced tank action. Can't remember its name. It was good, too. It was a commercial failure as well.

Terra Nova (1996)
TerraNovaStrikeForceCentauribox.jpg

TerraNovaLandscape.gif

2106142-downed_aircraft.png
Another FPS/Simulation/Strategy mixture, developed by the fine people from Looking Glass. You command your 4-man squad across an alien planet to hunt down space pirates in your gundam mobile suit. One of the coolest features was the jetpack. Flying around and shooting stuff felt very rewarding. Like Battlefield, the whole concept presumably was too far ahead of its time and no one really gave a shit.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Battlezone (1998)
There has been another similar game around the time, with its focus less on establishing base and more on fast-paced tank action. Can't remember its name. It was good, too. It was a commercial failure as well.

Uprising 2: Lead and Destroy

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Lucky
that opensourced Outcast was released some time ago, it can be downloaded from GOG IIRC but after first patch I forgot about that thing.

EDIT yeah, it's called Outcast 1.1 and in Extras you can download Outcast Classic.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sacrifice

Still one of a kind. A game by Shiny where you essentially get to play a wizard on his way to epic levels. The combination of real-time strategy, base building and action is kind of chaotic in practice, but also really fun. They made it so that spellcasting feels satisfying in both the casting and in the effects of the spells themselves – a high level spell like a tornado actually feels like you are throwing a tornado on the battlefield. The multiplayer scene is dead, so no chance of using those spells on human players, but the singleplayer mode is still more than worth buying the game for. Its campaign involves you being a wizard who has to choose between levels on which god to serve, which changes how the story develops, what level you play and what spells you get. It has tons of replay value as a result of this, with the game allowing you to stay faithful to single god or spreading your attention and there often being consequences for how you act during a mission. The game does get a lot easier when you play it multiple times, but even so the battles themselves are still a lot of fun and serving some gods is more difficult than serving others.

The way the game looks and sounds also stands out. The main aesthetic is one of deformation, with nothing looking normal in the way that we are used to. As a result, even typical fantasy creatures have a freshness to them that you don’t usually find in games. The music is also great and the voice acting does a great job of adding some personality to the gods. It is also the sort of game where you have characters make funny comments if you click on them repeatedly.

You can get the game on GOG if you want to play it, though you can also try out the demo first to get a taste of the gameplay.

Insta brofirst for that game. You forget to add that our path (choosing gods) change our army, so you can make multiple units army from other Gods. Our decisions also lock other gods in the some part of the game. Also, Gods are fucking amazing, treat us in their own way. Pick Charnel, god of fight and death. He is really bro to us.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

It takes 16 minutes for the main theme to kick in, which is my favourite part of the whole soundtrack. Weird.

Speaking of your other recommendations, I have the box of Starship Titanic (1st Class Cruise Kit Edition) sitting on my desk as we speak, as I've begun sorting through my collection of game boxes. I'm sure something from there will pop up in this thread soon enough. :)

I also have a copy of Sacrifice here, maybe I should give it a go instead of trying to get rid of it.

Astral Rag

Arcane
The Dark Eye
The_Dark_Eye_Coverart.png

Bad Day on the Midway
Bad_Day_on_the_Midway_Coverart.png

Two highly atmospheric, surrealistic Inscape adventure games with fantastic art, great voice acting and music.
Williams S Burroughs did some of the The Dark Eyes' voice work and Thomas Dolby composed the game's OST.

Bad Day on the Midway was obviously scored by The Residents and features great art by the late Jim Ludtke and others.

These are not hardcore point-and-click adventure games but you do have to use your brianz from time to time so they're not exactly walking simulators either.

Last edited:

Lucky

Arcane
Lucky
that opensourced Outcast was released some time ago, it can be downloaded from GOG IIRC but after first patch I forgot about that thing.

EDIT yeah, it's called Outcast 1.1 and in Extras you can download Outcast Classic.

The improved GOG version is Outcast 1.1, which is a patched version of the original Outcast made by the Outcast devs. It still receives frequent updates and is a great buy, especially since the money you spend on it goes to the actual game devs, rather than to some IP hoarder.
Openoutcast is a fan-made sequel made with the Crysis engine (Cryengine 2, to be precise). It's been in development for a long time now, but it's still looking good on eventually getting finished.

Linky: http://www.openoutcast.org/wp/

Insta brofirst for that game. You forget to add that our path (choosing gods) change our army, so you can make multiple units army from other Gods. Our decisions also lock other gods in the some part of the game. Also, Gods are fucking amazing, treat us in their own way. Pick Charnel, god of fight and death. He is really bro to us.

Yeah, that's one of the coolest parts. Switching gods means that you end up with this crazy menagerie of creatures who all have their own distinct looks and abilities, plus the weird spell combinations you can end up with from that. It's a very different playstyle compared to staying faithful. I figured that people would make the connection between epic levels and armies as the player getting summoning spells, but you're right that the prominence of summoning is unusual enough that it's worth mentioning on its own. I'll add it in.

Also, Earthworm Jim is the true bro amongst the gods. :obviously:

It takes 16 minutes for the main theme to kick in, which is my favourite part of the whole soundtrack. Weird.

Speaking of your other recommendations, I have the box of Starship Titanic (1st Class Cruise Kit Edition) sitting on my desk as we speak, as I've begun sorting through my collection of game boxes. I'm sure something from there will pop up in this thread soon enough. :)

I also have a copy of Sacrifice here, maybe I should give it a go instead of trying to get rid of it.

Definitely give Sacrifice a try. It's one of those games that defies genre conventions without having it hamstring your enjoyment of the game part. The mechanics take some getting used to, but not too much and you'll soon be desecrating altars, burning down villages and sacrificing the dead to your god. Or chuck rocks, if that's your thing. Fun tip, try killing all the villagers in the tutorial section. My old disk still also runs fine on modern systems, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting it to work. Starship Titanic is a bit more troublesome, but there are some patches floating around that should help with that.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Battlezone (1998)

In Battlezone, you drive around in your futuristic tank and fuck shit up, as usual. However, the twist is that it is actually a strategy game. You build your base, gather resources and build units that you send across the map. You issue all these commands from your tank commander's seat in 1st person and real time. It was a bit unwieldy but very original. Too original maybe, although it got universal critical acclaim, its sales were pathetic. There has been another similar game around the time, with its focus less on establishing base and more on fast-paced tank action. Can't remember its name. It was good, too. It was a commercial failure as well.

Uprising 2. It's rather.... mediocre, It's better than I remembered, dammit!. BZ1998 is still better however.

One of the original developers of Battlezone 1998 kept working on a patch, and there is a somewhat alive fan community and a server is still up.

http://www.battlezone1.com/

Give it a try, it's free! Until Activision shuts down everything

Terra Nova (1996)

Terra Nova is awesome, but people, read the list! It was already here ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom