Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lost and forgotten (except by us)

:Flash:

Arcane
Wrath of Earth looks primitive for a 1995 game. (SS came out in 1994 so it wasn't "before System Shock")
Wrath of Earth was coded by a single guy, for that it was quite impressive.
I never could get this game to work on my old PCs, even when running in plain dos. The programmer appeared in the HotU forums for a brief period, he was quite a nice chap, and I asked him about it. Apparently he had used an undocumented feature of Intel CPUs that did not exist on AMD CPUs and thus prevented the game from running on them. But Dosbox is capable of emulating that feature.
[/random video game trivia]

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
BioForge was awesome, best AitD inspired game imo. I wonder why it's so underrated...

There was a sequel in the making.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Fury of The Furries?

Worthy of note is that this game was "remade" into a Pac-Man game where the protagonist had 4 powers instead of there being 4 protagonists.

Pac In Time

Another game I just remembered that is mostly forgotten by today's standards is Fuzzy's World of Miniature Space Golf:

zwanzig_zwoelf

I love you guys, this thread reminded me of a huge amount of games I have to play. Gonna post some of these too, though most of them were already listed elsewhere.

Cybermage: Darklight Awakening

This motherfucking game. I love it, but it also makes me rage every time I play it. It was designed by DW Bradley (you know what that means, unless you're unfamiliar with Wizardry VI/VII and Wizards&Warriors), and it's a motherfucking shizophrenic beast of the game. Imagine Deus Ex created using Doom Engine (Harvey Smith or Warren Spector were also present in the development, btw) with magic, vehicles and orcs wearing futuristic armor. There are quite some areas for exploration (which is a definite plus), not to mention really good soundtrack (one of the best MIDI soundtracks ever).
However, the game required a powerful PC when it came out, plus it suffers from clunky control scheme. Not to mention that the difficulty is pretty high, and it makes the game infuriating when combined with the control scheme. But it's still a great game, at least for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
There was this cool platformer/puzzler with three different kind of colour balls (?) one could for example jump, other had a ninja rope (?), something like that.. pretty good game, kind of overshadowed by others in that time. Title can't come to my head.

It's not with balls but this is what crossed my mind :)

Astral Rag

Arcane
Yes Red Baron was great, I played it to death on our 386.

edit: Stunts too :)

Anyone played Galactix?

93424-Galactix_1995_%281995%29%28Cygnus_Games%29-1.jpg

http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/galactix/

Or the shareware version of CD-Man? I never liked the full version because: http://image.dosgamesarchive.com/screenshots/cdman1.gif

twYEFvGm.png

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And one more for the old farts:

Bonus:

Stunts was AWESOME.

:bounce:

I loved the track designer, and the physics system would sometimes go horribly wrong with hilarious results. Like if you crashed really hard into a tree, you'd fly backwards into the sky like a Space Shuttle. Sometimes you went so far it took minutes to fall back down.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Lots of good/great old games, but not many obscure titles ITT. Maybe they're lost and forgotten on Steam forums but most of the stuff here has been mentioned many times on the the Codex.

Gimme some obscure and interesting old crap I've never heard before !

Like this(although I've already mentioned this here before) :

Mission Critical (1994)

62.jpg

Very good first person adventure where you navigate a seemingly deserted spaceship, that was sent to find an alien artifact, in the backdrop of an on-going war between earth factions. Some pretty good FMV cutscenes in-between too. As you can see this was received pretty well by critics at the time, but it was universally forgotten afterwards to the point that you couldn't find it anywhere. I managed to grab it at UndergroundGamer before it went kaput, and it was the only place it could be found. It seems that recently it has been uploaded on a couple of abandonware sites, so you can finally get it.

mnC6c0H.jpg

AGBnrUQ.jpg

b8tChyT.jpg

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Lots of good/great old games, but not many obscure titles ITT. Maybe they're lost and forgotten on Steam forums but most of the stuff here has been mentioned many times on the the Codex.

Mission Critical (1994)

62.jpg

Very good first person adventure where you navigate a seemingly deserted spaceship, that was sent to find an alien artifact, in the backdrop of an on-going war between earth factions. Some pretty good FMV cutscenes in-between too. As you can see this was received pretty well by critics at the time, but it was universally forgotten afterwards to the point that you couldn't find it anywhere. I managed to grab it at UndergroundGamer before it went kaput, and it was the only place it could be found. It seems that recently it has been uploaded on a couple of abandonware sites, so you can finally get it.

1456-4-mission-critical.jpg

1456-3-mission-critical.jpg

1456-9-mission-critical.jpg

Those spoiler pics do not work.

zwanzig_zwoelf

The Creed
The_Creed_2014-01-26_21-25-32.png
Creed%202014-03-21%2017-54-37-24.png

Developed by a totally unknown studio (Insomnia Entertainment, sometimes listed as Zero Hour Games) and published by EA, Creed = Biohazard gameplay + cyberpunk atmophere + open world. There are tons of various missions and random shit is happening all the time. It's really obscure and hard, but the atmosphere is really nice. I'd play a similar game, except there are none.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mission Critical is great. Along with Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, it's one of the best later (non-IF) Legend Entertainment adventure games.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Battle Mages

I was quite surprised to see this game put on Steam few months ago. The game is similar to Warhammer SotHR/Dark Omen or even better NeocoreGames strategies. Basically you have a hero who leads detachments of units in a fantasy world, both your hero and units gain XP during the game. If I recall correctly you can equip your hero with items and there is several heroes you can choose from each with different set of skills. The game is scenario based with each scenario being set on a large open maps on which you solve main and side quests and explore to find unique enemies and locations which give you different items. Its a solid game with one of the biggest problem being the pacing since solving quests can force you to do lots of backtracking.

Enemy Nations

A really good game that more like Settlers then your average RTS. The game has a rather slow start during which you need to focus building your economy before you can start fighting, which is probably why many people passed on this game when it was released. Visually the game looked great when it was released and it have aged quite well. So if you are a Settler fan or atleast someone who wants more depth to his real time strategy games this should be right up your alley.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Mission Critical (1994)

62.jpg

mnC6c0H.jpg

AGBnrUQ.jpg

b8tChyT.jpg

Mission Critical is definitely not obscure, it was quite well known. A lot more than The Last Dynastly for example.

I only played MC recently for the first time and I LOVED the storyline. The ending and last part of is pretty special.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom