Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lost and forgotten (except by us)

Astral Rag

Arcane
oOWblKb.jpg

Two of my earliest games. Of course the Mario Bros are still famous in the Current Year but I think not many will know the Game and Watch game or the more recent Gold Cliff. Both still work just fine after all these years and they're still fun to play.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I had Bomb Sweeper myself:

nintendo-game---watch---multi-screen---bomb-sweeper--loose--p-image-259248-grande.jpg

The gameplay seems very similar to Gold Cliff, except Gold Cliff seems to have gravity while Bomb Sweeper has a top-down perspective.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Old games you wish people talked about? Damn two of my go to recommendations were already mentioned.

Afterlife

Simcity Astral plane edition.

8ac514a76442212035ec2493a4fc913783841e33e09620c4d38c0f5b9ac9764b_product_card_screenshot_748.jpg

Flesh Feast

Nearly broken Zombie hack and slash

pc-56569-31404597908.jpg

Haunting Starring Polterguy

Scare the shit out of people: The game

Haunting_Starring_Polterguy.png

The Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time

Time Travel adventure FMV game

480449-the-journeyman-project-2-buried-in-time-windows-screenshot.jpg

If Super Metroid (well known) got a mention then Zombies Ate My Neighbors deserves one. Best coop game on the SNES.

ZombiesAte0.png

Astral Rag

Arcane
Apparently the game has a bonus level called Day of the Tentacle

I remember seeing a neat ad for that Haunting game.

osCWJjL.jpg

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
I played the first iteration of The Journeyman Project. I must have been about 9 or 10 years old and felt very satisfied with myself for shutting down a missile base and blowing up the robot that tried to use it to start MAD by overpressurizing the airlock he was in.

Apparently the game has a bonus level called Day of the Tentacle

Yep, then they went and fucked it up by farming out the sequel.

There is the psudo-sequel they actually did make, Herc's Adventure.

Zombie's Ate My Neighbors is so fucking good. It's a shame they never made another real one, especially after controllers got two thumb sticks. Would have also been nice to get even more horror movie monster references and more boss fights.

Top down shooting is reminding me: Shock Troopers

Somehow this wasn't in every place with Neo-Geo cabinets.

EverlastingLove

Learned
Sabre Team: isometric turn-based tactical game from 1992 made by Krisalis

It's pretty good, level design is decent, there are many weapons to choose from, graphics still look nice but it is unfortunately a short game (only 5 mission)

I remember that you had to prime a grenade before throwing it, which was nice

J1lV5hV.png

Kx1579x.png

AK1Qe1Y.png

5aF7HJW.png

MGn5Fbc.png

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Sabre Team: isometric turn-based tactical game from 1992 made by Krisalis

It's pretty good, level design is decent, there are many weapons to choose from, graphics still look nice but it is unfortunately a short game (only 5 mission)

I remember that you had to prime a grenade before throwing it, which was nice

J1lV5hV.png

Kx1579x.png

AK1Qe1Y.png

5aF7HJW.png

MGn5Fbc.png

I get a huge UFO: Enemy Unknown-vibe from this.

Makes me wonder... Krisalis did the PC conversion of Lazer Squad (1988), but it was released in 1992. Question... is it possible that Krisalis were working on a game similar to UFO: Enemy Unknown at the time? Both UFO and Lazer Squad are made by Julian Gollop, so it's not a stretch of the imagination...

EverlastingLove

Learned
Interesting. I have never heard about this before and the playlist is neat, thanks!

The art-style reminds me a bit of Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain and that game was AWESOME

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I love finding stuff like this, especially early in the morning.

(Thanks to neilsouth and Indie Retro News for the news, and the laughs.)

In the grand year of 1986 a 12-year old named Jason Kendall made a game on the Commodore 64. He tried to get it published... and succeeded. In fact, he created a rather good game, all things considered.

The game has the very strange name of Sqij! and is a screen-by-screen shooter in a similar vein to Equinox or the Cybernoid games, where you control a psychotic-looking pigeon hunting down parts of a tree that contains the secret to eternal life. (Uh-huh.) Below you can catch a glimpse of the C-64 version.

Sqij-C64.gif

Remember, 12-year old developer at work here. I am impressed.

As the game was a decent success, inevitably conversions to other platforms were ordered. A C-16/Plus/4 version exists, but it's the Spectrum version that's the infamous one. That one was made by another Jason (this one's a Creighton) and he got into a spat of troubles. First the publisher refused to send him a copy of the game, then finally sent one on disk... except Creighton didn't own a disk drive. So he had to code the game with nothing more on hand than impressions from playing it at the publisher's office, and a copy of the in-game map. With things like exams looming over him and the deadline for the port creeping closer, Creighton made the dubious decision to purposefully create a crap conversion.

How bad is it?

Sqij-Speccy.gif

That comes close to a 8-bit rendition of :prosper:, if you ask me.

A grand total of 250 copies of the Spectrum port were sold, and the game is hailed as "one of the worst Speccy games of all time". It's hard to claim otherwise, especially since there's a bug creeping about that makes the game only accept lower-case input from the keyboard, but the code automatically LOCKS THE KEYBOARD IN UPPER CAPS. (This may be due to emulators having trouble emulating BASIC, but whatever.)

The Spectrum version of Squij! is also notable for its cover art. If you're well-versed in big box cover art, this may look more than familiar:

SQIJ.jpg

(Keep in mind that Sqij! was released in 1987, while Obitus was released in 1991.)

So why is this game making news again? Because there's a small company/bloke/idunnoreally out there that decided to do a proper Spectrum conversion, and it's out now.

The cover art looks really neat:

Sqij%2BRemake.jpg

And this is how the new Sqij! plays on the Spectrum:

Sqij-New.gif

So, it was only 30+ years in the making, but now Spectrum owners can finally play a decent port!

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LOLLOLLOL BASED ON RECENT ANSWRRS IM WAITING FOR SOME PCTARD TO SAY SUPER MARIO BROS

LOLO L LOLLOL

Binky

Cipher
The Adventures of Maddog Williams in the Dungeons of Duridian (1992)
Inventor Maddog Williams to the rescue in this charming adventure.
42e5d453-94b2-4ea8-905f-5341482a06e9.jpg

Adventures%20of%20Maddog%20Williams%20in%20the%20Dungeons%20of%20Duridian,%20The_5.png

Download it from the devs for free http://www.gamecrafters.com/gamecrafters/maddog/index.html (win or mac)

Mad TV (1991)
Run a successful tv studio to win the heart of the lovely newsreader.
mad-tv-ss5.gif

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/mad-tv-176
The Clue! (1994)
Plan heists in 1950's London. Planning & executing the robberies is one thing. Making sure you don't leave enough clues behind for the cops is another. Ridiculously fun.
62547-the-clue-dos-screenshot-plan-your-robbery.png

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/429/Clue!,+The.html

Floor 13 (1992)
Keep the Prime Minister in power at any cost. Kidnap, torture, assault, assassinate, bribe, infiltrate.
606835-floor-13-dos-screenshot-you-can-even-send-assault-squad-to.png

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/floor-13-1eo

Perhaps not so obscure, but should really be talked about more:
Hidden Agenda (1988)
El Presidente caught between the right-wing death squads, left-wing revolutionaries, superpowers. Try to survive.
hidden-agenda-04.jpg

http://www.abandonia.com/games/138/download/hiddenagenda.htm
Beasts & Bumpkins (1997)
No production of soldiers and civilians here. Your bumpkins do a little nookie -> children are born - which have to be protected till they grow up -> grown-ups get to train for a job. Plenty of humor.
21462-BeastsandBumpkins.jpg

Edit: Added links

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
Орда: Цитадель\Horde: Citadel

Weird russian RTS from 2001, sequel to Horde: Northern Wind. Slavic setting. You can travel freely between locations at any time and build your shit, you can fight evil mages, sand niggers, dragons etc. You have a main character (3 to choose from, all 3 are beardy slavs though). Unit control is a clusterfuck with constant disobedience and friendly fire, saving unints from their own stupidity is harder than anything else in this game. First game had the most idiotic auto save system ive ever seen, 1 auto save, saves once in a few minutes, can happen after you died and you lose all your progress. Second game fixed that shit, but the unit control was still a nighmare. Oh yeah, it also had forest fires!

81256851.jpg

Horde_2_The_Citadel_3.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

20150401124828_7f2f12c8.png

96857501.jpg

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
The Clue! (1994)
Plan heists in 1950's London. Planning & executing the robberies is one thing. Making sure you don't leave enough clues behind for the cops is another. Ridiculously fun.
Image doesn't load.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I know that Stunts (4D Sports Driving in Europe) is well-known to everyone who gamed on a PC around 1990 or so as it's one of the greatest racing games for the platform, but I was recently surfing online and found something interesting: An active Stunts community.

How active is it?

They hold regular racing competitions, for example. Grab their updated version of Stunts, download the track, record a playthrough, then send it back to compete with all the other players.

But wait, updated version? Well, Zakstunts 2018 is the latest version of the game with the copy protection removed, a modern-day out-of-game track editor included and five new cars included in the car pool - all of which can be driven by you and your computer opponents. (Move over Indy F1, say hello to the tuned-up MacLaren!)

But Zakstunts 2018 is merely an "official" release for racing reasons. There are other updates available as well, including improved engine sounds, loads more cars (of which some are cheatmobiles) and over 2500 custom-made tracks for the game!

Sadly there aren't any major bug fix releases or modern-day ease-of-use upgrades available, but the site has loads of info and resources that should be of help to any serious Stunts player.

Archibald

Arcane
I remember playing it for a while, but from what I recall there were some bugs in "dungeons", like I remember getting stuck in walls multiple times and things like that.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yep, that was one of the bigger faults. I liked the storytelling, how you could make choices of how to proceed and get different missions and the whole Demonworld flavor was likable. It's really a shame there isn't a GOG or something. I bought a copy of German ebay but had a hard time installing it, when I actually managed the game would just consistently crash after the first mission...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom