Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, Gaulen isn't completely useless.. But when he's specced into utility, he does seem like it.
I mean, you have mighty warriors who chop goblins in half, daring rogues who disarm traps with ease, and mages who sweep away entire bands of enemies...
And then you have lil' Gaulen who, uh ... picks flowers really nicely, I guess?

roshan

Arcane
There's more than enough skillpoints going around for Gaulen to be both a strong frontline character and also good with his exploration skills. The only way I see Gaulen ending up useless is if you waste his skill points on learning or mercantile/thieving skills. In combat he was about as useful as my barbarian and certainly a lot more interesting to play due to envenomed strike.

roshan

Arcane
Yes but you have all tose points exactly where you want them and independent of items, Which means 5++ additional speed on top of everything else you mentioned. And you get some of those points earlier than end game. Not a huge difference but the same can be said about points in secondary skills. Speed is so overpowered stat as we all agree (it is basically a multiplier for most other stats in the game). Something you can always use more. Unlike for exemple initiative - its usefulness is capped at the point where a given character goes before monsters almost every time. Any more is of minimal/zero value at this point.

It adds two points of initiative per level...duh. The thing is - my soldier will be as good when it comes to initiative in the end game as yours. From level 37 onward i can put all skill points on those non-crucial skills. Thats a lot of levels and skill points (especially with maxed learning). That's the whole point ! By taking learning for a class that doesn't require a lot of skill points to be effective you trade those less than 40 skill points (not 60 as you say - you get some skill points back with additonal levels) for levels, and those levels get slightly earlier. Those ~40 skill points - in my opinion - in case of the soldier class are otherwise practically wasted on secondary skills with only marginal use for the class.

All i wrote above is not mentioning the fact that level itself is a stat taken into account in the case of some abilities (like bard songs or some spells - not sure about that). I think the power of offensive bard songs (like stunning) increase with character levels, not with skill levels alone. In this case you cannot replicate it in any other way than through obtaining additional levels and getting them faster. I can be wrong on that, someone clarify please ?

Im not asking to be polite, i know it is too much (this is Internet + Codex after all) but at the very least: please learn to read before making assumptions about other people (again !). I wrote clearly that my party is only level 30-something. I have still many levels to go (with maxed learning even more so) and i ALREADY have a few levels in tactics. No more at this point because at this point of the the game my soldier goes before the monsters most of the time. More points would be a waste and the few points i have is exactly as i wrote "enough". It really isn't so hard to grasp, is it ?
Sorry for harsh words but you earned it (knowing better what other people enjoy in their games = you are an excellent material for a shitty game developer, and the one i quoted a few lines above... just :().

Besides, it is not really crucial for a soldier to go first in battle. It is crucial for a paladin (aura of protection before monsters' first attack). For a cleric with some "mass" protection type of spell. For a bard (a song of haste/victory/stunning/whatever before first attack of anyone, be it enemy or your first liners). In fact a soldier or barbarian outdoing your bard in initiative is counter productive. On the other hand you have melee/archer - it isn't as crucial for them to go first every battle. (it is the "nice to have" category imo).

As i said before - unlike both of you (Roshan and Pope Amole II) i belive both aproach are hard to compare directly and quantify with total precision - there is too much to consider, like early game vs late game advantage.
Learning is imo better for a soldier, Not learning is better for Gaulen who is not in the back row with a thief in the party. All other chars probably fall somwhere in between. I would lean towards learning but it is a personal preference because i already tested learning and it works.
I went with an all "learning" party for my first game because i don't like differences in levels between party members if i can avoid it. A second time IF i ever play the game a second time ill go "no learning" to compare for myself. The classes will not be the same tough and next time ill play on Hardcore (Veteran is a bit on the easy side) so it wont be directly comparable. The optimal setup is probably to have some characters with learning other without it but personally i don't like this solution for... other reasons.

This is all i have to say in this thread.

I am still interested in the question of character levels being used in skills (like bard songs) directly in LoX. In other words: is stunning song of a character level 30 bard more effective than the same song of a bard of character level 25, assuming the same level of the skill ?

You are completely missing the point. By the time those points spent in learning begin to pay off and make a discernible difference in your character, those levels are literally useless. End game screenshot, edited to minimize spoilers:

dfy9ag.jpg

My characters were level 48-51 and I literally had useless levels to the point that towards the end I couldn't even be bothered to level up my characters anymore. By dumping points in learning you are basically sacrificing the biggest chunk of Lords of Xulima (which is when the gameplay is at it's best) for a later on payoff that you don't even need to beat the game. Towards the end of the game the only characters that I bothered to level up were those who had useful skills I wanted to upgrade (I wanted to max out some of my cleric's healing spells... but the only reason those spells were not already maxed out in the first place was due to taking learning, go figure that one out).

I am also questioning how little practical difference in levels those ranks in learning make. For example my cleric with 22 levels in learning ended up being level 51 while my bard with 14 ranks ended up being 49. So my cleric spent 16 skill points to after hours and hours of gameplay get back 4 skill points and 4 ability points plus the level boosts - which was actually an utterly stupid decision. It's like continuously buying stocks and holding them for decades only to find out you have lost half the investment.

Towards the end of the game your character's power increases exponentially due to consumable items that can increase your stats, and also stat boosts provided by completing the main quests. If I recall correctly your characters will each get about 130 stat points worth of boosts which is equivalent to about 65 free levels worth of stats from quest rewards alone. The 2 additional levels my cleric had with two points of speed and two points that I used for energy were literally useless in the face of AWSUM end game boosts and, fuck, if I wanted those additional two points of speed I could have just fucking farmed one ruby wyvern egg which would have taken a couple of minutes of my time rather than investing/wasting resources through the majority of the game.

thexsa

Educated
collect cereal plants, sell them to the cripple next to the farm. No need to sell equipment.
I have to say however, someone who manages to run out of money in starter town and not being able to leave is hardly qualified to judge the usefulness of the main character.
You completely missed the point.

I had used money, fixed food reserves and bought equipment to go out and fuck shit up, but the guards triggered the toll dialogue when I was about to leave, a dialogue which should only trigger when you try to enter the town.

Also, I have already finished the game on Old-School, and I do recognize the usefulness of him I still think it's retarded that the game forces you to use one class and that class being the only class with unique utility skills, instead of say a Barbarian being able to do Knowledge of Terrain at 2 points per level.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Gaulen is a cool dude as soon as you get to know him... It's just that his somewhat silly mug, his green clothes and cape and his flower-gathering obsession, give the wrong first impression :P

Zehnpai

Barely Literate
When I try to leave Velegarn, the southeastern guard asks for toll. I refuse, my char moves a few step down and gets into the same convo again -> move up to previous position -> repeat infinitely.
Triggering combat and fleeing from it did not help. Do not have 100 gold. Gonna have to sell a piece of equipment just to be allowed to leave town. Holy fuck that's retarded.

Unless they fixed it, in 1.0 you can spam the escape key to get past him without paying the toll at all. Just mash escape while spam clicking in towards town.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Gaulen is a pansy-gathering pansy and that's the bottom line!

I am also questioning how little practical difference in levels those ranks in learning make. For example my cleric with 22 levels in learning ended up being level 51 while my bard with 14 ranks ended up being 49. So my cleric spent 16 skill points to after hours and hours of gameplay get back 4 skill points and 4 ability points plus the level boosts - which was actually an utterly stupid decision. It's like continuously buying stocks and holding them for decades only to find out you have lost half the investment.
I really can't think of a game where any "Learning" like ability that grants you extra EXP where you have to pass up something because of limited Skill Points etc was any good. Heroes of Might and Magic V came the closest but that particular ability was mostly use for the additional stats that come with leveling rather than the EXP bonus itself (in fact, some people think it's better to take it end-game since it works retroactively).

"Learning" sucked in HoMM 3, it sucked in Fallout and it probably sucks in a whole bunch of other RPGs that exist out there.

Maybe if they weren't so fucking cheap with the EXP bonus every time it might have some use...

valcik

Arcane
"Learning" sucked in HoMM 3, it sucked in Fallout and it probably sucks in a whole bunch of other RPGs that exist out there.
Nah. I agree with Fallout, because learning bonus 5% means 5000 experience points at level 15 with 105000 XP and that's completely useless.

In Lords of Xulima, maxed out learning skill means almost doubled experience (80%?) for every single combat finished, which is a lot for grinding character, especially when you're killing the end-game stuff as heralds or titans. I've finished my first playthrough with learning skill ~10; maxed out that shit on second playthrough and the difference maked up for 6-8 levels. Besides, there's abundance of free skill points - plants, cauldrons, city trainers, no need to hold back with other skills at all. The thing is, you need to clear all the maps out of random encounters to get the learning skill useful somewhat.

thexsa

Educated
Nah. I agree with Fallout, because learning bonus 5% means 5000 experience points at level 15 with 105000 XP and that's completely useless.

In Lords of Xulima, maxed out learning skill means almost doubled experience (80%?) for every single combat finished, which is a lot for grinding character, especially when you're killing the end-game stuff as heralds or titans. I've finished my first playthrough with learning skill ~10; maxed out that shit on second playthrough and the difference maked up for 6-8 levels. Besides, there's abundance of free skill points - plants, cauldrons, city trainers, no need to hold back with other skills at all. The thing is, you need to clear all the maps out of random encounters to get the learning skill useful somewhat.

And you need to max it out fast, or you miss out on a ton of potential xp the skill would've provided you with. But that also makes your party significantly weaker. Frankly, I don't believe gimping my early game on Hardcore is gonna help me in the long run. It's only gonna force me to return to towns way more often, and be gold starved way more often because I will be lacking combat stats/spells to cure stuff I need to pay for otherwise.

roshan

Arcane

So you spent an additional 40 skill points to get 12-16 skill points, 6-8 in speed, 6-8 in other stats and maybe 25 hp and 15 pp so from level bonuses. Really, all you did was spend most of the game just to little more than break even in the end, and that's probably taking into account that you got 8 levels. If you only got 6 additional levels out of it then you probably just ended up gimping your characters. Not only that you probably made the game much worse for yourself because you had weaker characters through the bulk of the game and therefore needed to grind enemies to get more levels, then wasted half the skill points you got from those levels on learning again...???!!! Mindblowingly illogical.

Last edited:

valcik

Arcane
So you spent an additional 40 skill points to get 12-16 skill points ..
WAT
Four skill points gained per level means 24-32 skill points per 6-8 levels for single character, doesn't it? Well, I'm not that surprised this looks mindblowingly illogical to someone with your math skill, dude. Anyway, most of my characters ended with almost ten skill points stacked and unassigned in the end, so putting them in learning skill seemed to be a good idea to me.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How much effect does your level have on things? It seems to have some impact just being a higher level, but I don't know how much it translates to. I think that would be one of the determining factors in whether Learning is worth it.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
roshan, an important point you seem to forget is that debuffs are level-dependent. Whether my Bard is lvl 30 or 35 makes a huge difference when casting requiem (or any other debuff song, for that matter) on the same mobs. Works the other way round as well: The higher my toons' level, the less likely such spells affect them.
And for classes like soldier or barbarian, what would I spend those skill points on anyways, if not learning?
collect cereal plants, sell them to the cripple next to the farm. No need to sell equipment.
I have to say however, someone who manages to run out of money in starter town and not being able to leave is hardly qualified to judge the usefulness of the main character.
You completely missed the point.

I had used money, fixed food reserves and bought equipment to go out and fuck shit up, but the guards triggered the toll dialogue when I was about to leave, a dialogue which should only trigger when you try to enter the town.

Also, I have already finished the game on Old-School, and I do recognize the usefulness of him I still think it's retarded that the game forces you to use one class and that class being the only class with unique utility skills, instead of say a Barbarian being able to do Knowledge of Terrain at 2 points per level.
Wait, you already finished the game once and still play like an idiot?

V_K

Arcane
roshan, an important point you seem to forget is that debuffs are level-dependent. Whether my Bard is lvl 30 or 35 makes a huge difference when casting requiem (or any other debuff song, for that matter) on the same mobs. Works the other way round as well: The higher my toons' level, the less likely such spells affect them.
That's one thing I really dislike about LoX character system. They should have made a separate main stat for this functionality.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is there actually any documentation or proof on how character level affects things? Afaik skill levels and resistances are the main thing, especially when talking about things like bard songs which are spells from the mentalism school. Applypoison

Oh and Gaulen is a faggert.

thexsa

Educated
Wait, you already finished the game once and still play like an idiot?

How was that playing like an idiot? Pretty basic shit to spend all your money before leaving a town. Get new eq, get shurikens, buy some blessings, spend money on skill points for next level up at trainer -> ready to go fuck shit up so when you return next time, you have even more cash. Pretty basic blobber-tactic right there.
Can't really account for the fact that the guards bug if you use the stone to tp back and ask for the toll for ENTERING town when trying to LEAVE it.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Fucking Bees. I hate their fucking sound, I hate their fucking face, I hate their fucking loot (lol what loot?) I hate their ohyoumustbefuckingkiddingme speed/evasion. I hate their fucking existence.

They're there just to troll your ass. :troll:

Encounter : easy

-ok let's kick some ass...

Enemy: Bee

:rage:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Can't really account for the fact that the guards bug if you use the stone to tp back and ask for the toll for ENTERING town when trying to LEAVE it.
The guards ask for a toll. Only the first toll is for entering. (Since you're outside.) The following ones are for "coming and going". That's what you're first told. I just checked. And later they ask for a "toll to pass". Though the follow up dialogue if you can't/won't pay, may only say something like "Then you cannot enter." I can't check that. *shrug*

That one can get caught in a loop by that, is shitty, though.

thexsa

Educated
The guards ask for a toll. Only the first toll is for entering. (Since you're outside.) The following ones are for "coming and going". That's what you're first told. I just checked. And later they ask for a "toll to pass". Though the follow up dialogue if you can't/won't pay, may only say something like "Then you cannot enter." I can't check that. *shrug*

That one can get caught in a loop by that, is shitty, though.

Never had that problem before. Though, the difference this time was that I bought crystals and used them to get back to town early game since they cost the same as the toll before you level up a bit.

The devs probably assumed people were gonna clear the guards before starting to use crystals and, seeing as to how the triggers work for the toll, only tested the tolls when entering town. On Hardcore, the guards are a bit tough until ~level 6 or so, unless you get lucky with equipment first few levels.

valcik

Arcane
Blessing of Kersket (+5 CON) and some shurikens helps a lot against those guards, I've managed to get rid of them at level 5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom