Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

And that mage tower, since it seems I haven't found the key yet. Both the ogre and the fields seem unbeatable (I try to cross the fields outside of the enemy's awareness, but they always attack me at some point) Which means I should probably head to the next area and leave that for later, right ?

grab the tower key from Odred [?] in the sleepy forest; its one of the first quests you are given

dont walk on the tall flowers [its a maze to get to him] and you should be gravy

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Let's see, if you got five of those levels due to your investment in learning, that got you 10 stat points. But I wonder about the usefulness of those stat points. For example my soldier has +86 to stats due to her equipment alone. That's forty three levels worth of stat points, and from equipment alone. End game across the board stat points boosts for slaying the titans, herbs, wells and pools - stat points are so abundant, I wonder why one would need to grind or bloat levels to get a relatively marginal number of stat points.
Yes but you have all tose points exactly where you want them and independent of items, Which means 5++ additional speed on top of everything else you mentioned. And you get some of those points earlier than end game. Not a huge difference but the same can be said about points in secondary skills. Speed is so overpowered stat as we all agree (it is basically a multiplier for most other stats in the game). Something you can always use more. Unlike for exemple initiative - its usefulness is capped at the point where a given character goes before monsters almost every time. Any more is of minimal/zero value at this point.

I'm not sure what tactics does but it seems my Barbarian (the first one in the order) and Soldier (fourth) have a really big advantage over everyone else, most likely due to the tactics skill.
It adds two points of initiative per level...duh. The thing is - my soldier will be as good when it comes to initiative in the end game as yours. From level 37 onward i can put all skill points on those non-crucial skills. Thats a lot of levels and skill points (especially with maxed learning). That's the whole point ! By taking learning for a class that doesn't require a lot of skill points to be effective you trade those less than 40 skill points (not 60 as you say - you get some skill points back with additonal levels) for levels, and those levels get slightly earlier. Those ~40 skill points - in my opinion - in case of the soldier class are otherwise practically wasted on secondary skills with only marginal use for the class.

All i wrote above is not mentioning the fact that level itself is a stat taken into account in the case of some abilities (like bard songs or some spells - not sure about that). I think the power of offensive bard songs (like stunning) increase with character levels, not with skill levels alone. In this case you cannot replicate it in any other way than through obtaining additional levels and getting them faster. I can be wrong on that, someone clarify please ?

Oh shit, someone wrote in an internet guide that you should just put a few points in tactics and then ignore it, and therefore it must be gospel so that is exactly what you did.
Im not asking to be polite, i know it is too much (this is Internet + Codex after all) but at the very least: please learn to read before making assumptions about other people (again !). I wrote clearly that my party is only level 30-something. I have still many levels to go (with maxed learning even more so) and i ALREADY have a few levels in tactics. No more at this point because at this point of the the game my soldier goes before the monsters most of the time. More points would be a waste and the few points i have is exactly as i wrote "enough". It really isn't so hard to grasp, is it ?
Sorry for harsh words but you earned it (knowing better what other people enjoy in their games = you are an excellent material for a shitty game developer, and the one i quoted a few lines above... just :().

Besides, it is not really crucial for a soldier to go first in battle. It is crucial for a paladin (aura of protection before monsters' first attack). For a cleric with some "mass" protection type of spell. For a bard (a song of haste/victory/stunning/whatever before first attack of anyone, be it enemy or your first liners). In fact a soldier or barbarian outdoing your bard in initiative is counter productive. On the other hand you have melee/archer - it isn't as crucial for them to go first every battle. (it is the "nice to have" category imo).

As i said before - unlike both of you (Roshan and Pope Amole II) i belive both aproach are hard to compare directly and quantify with total precision - there is too much to consider, like early game vs late game advantage.
Learning is imo better for a soldier, Not learning is better for Gaulen who is not in the back row with a thief in the party. All other chars probably fall somwhere in between. I would lean towards learning but it is a personal preference because i already tested learning and it works.
I went with an all "learning" party for my first game because i don't like differences in levels between party members if i can avoid it. A second time IF i ever play the game a second time ill go "no learning" to compare for myself. The classes will not be the same tough and next time ill play on Hardcore (Veteran is a bit on the easy side) so it wont be directly comparable. The optimal setup is probably to have some characters with learning other without it but personally i don't like this solution for... other reasons.

This is all i have to say in this thread.

I am still interested in the question of character levels being used in skills (like bard songs) directly in LoX. In other words: is stunning song of a character level 30 bard more effective than the same song of a bard of character level 25, assuming the same level of the skill ?

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So I started playing the game again a little while ago, this time on "Veteran", with a more balanced party. Swordy Barbarian, Axe dorf, stabby thief with lots of utility skill, Nuking Mage, Cleric, and Gaulen being a useless piece of shit.

Having a much better time! Although, I never realized you can so easily run from just about every battle.
Might have not restarted if realized that sooner.. Ah well!

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
One way Gaulen becomes more useful is by placing him in the middle back or front position so he can use the Help An Ally command on anyone in the party. He can apply healing salves to anyone as well.

valcik

Arcane
Same as Jaesun. I've soloed arena with Gaulen wielding huge friggin axe, can't understand why some people consider him a weak character.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
I suppose it all depends on how you spec him. He's more of a utility guy for me. Hunter gatherer, as it were.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.lordsofxulima.com/2015/02/03/lords-of-xulima-is-now-available-on-linux/

Greetings and welcome Linux players!
Lords of Xulima is now available for Linux! To celebrate this new launch we have set a special discount of 25% off.

The game should run well in all official distributions that launch the Steam Client. Also, we have created a new section on the forum to give support to the Linux users.

What’s next? The Workshop
We are working on some modding options for Lords of Xulima. The first one will be the ability to modify rule sets in the game (classes, skills, enemies, encounters, zones…).

Players will be able to create their own rule set and share it with the community. Would you like to try a super fast LoX without random encounters, but you can only cure the party with potions? Or where Wyverns are roaming Velegarn and Gaulen is now a Pyromancer?
There are endless possibilities!

New version 1.6 available
We have fixed some minor bugs/crashes and made some optimizations to improve speed and smoothness, especially when using OpenGL. You can see the full list of changes here.

See you soon!

torpid

Liturgist
So I started playing the game again a little while ago, this time on "Veteran", with a more balanced party. Swordy Barbarian, Axe dorf, stabby thief with lots of utility skill, Nuking Mage, Cleric, and Gaulen being a useless piece of shit.

stabby thief with lots of utility skill

stabby thief with lots of utility skill

with lots of utility skill

Gaulen shouldn't be useless if you have a thief! The thief takes care of all the skullduggery (perception, lockpicking, traps) and Gaulen is able to tap into his inner brawler and go wild with axes, plus poison later on. You only need 2 extra points for knowledge of herbs and of terrains, and with all the skill buying + skill point fountains you should always be able to level up those skills along with the combat skills. Maybe you'll have to skip some things on some levels, so he might be delayed in maxing a combat skill by 2-3 levels, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Oh and a bard takes care of mercantile, if you really want Gaulen to tear off his headband be completely focused on combat plus herbs.

torpid

Liturgist
Basically,

playing Gaulen without a thief:

1360102650_11-anne-hathaway-the-princess-diaries-640.jpg

vs playing Gaulen with a thief:

latest

Dat makeover

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Hmmm... I hope I'm not too late, then! Now that I beat Nengorth and am swimming in money and food, I might try giving him a more offensive role.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I've been upping Gaulen's Axe skill and he's starting to get good. His area skills are p.good too. I can't imagine him taking thieving skills, he would just be shitty all around.
The thief is a must imo, those shurikens wreck havoc. On the other hand, the bard hasn't been that useful so far.
If there is a Xulima 2, I'd really like to see some dual classing and maybe some prestige classes.

Damn, this game carcasses and kicks your balls at the same time. As soon as you start feeling good about your awesum party... "The cursed hounds appear", Sheeet.... Fuck Yeah I beat those puppies, who's the man ? ... "Ambushed by Bees" FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

valcik

Arcane
Jack Dandy: Go for it! He's a mighty blessed herald of Golot after all, not some shitty peon.

"The cursed hounds appear"
I know what you mean! After your bard would get the hypnotic song strong enough, you'll really appreciate him. Watching whole group of cursed dogs being put to profound sleep by a single action of skillful bard is just priceless. ^^

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Jack Dandy: Go for it! He's a mighty blessed herald of Golot after all, not some shitty peon.

"The cursed hounds appear"
I know what you mean! After your bard would get the hypnotic song strong enough, you'll really appreciate him. Watching whole group of cursed dogs being put to profound sleep by a single action of skillful bard is just priceless. ^^

Real fun starts at 30 :)

thexsa

Educated
Hardcore/Ironman is so frustrating at the start.

Just made a party with Faggot, Barb, Thief in frontline, Barb + Thief with the +10 evasion gift to smooth out the earlygame and Mage, Bard, Cleric in the backline with the +5% PP. Finally managed to get to level 4 too, where the game starts to not be an annoying RNG-mess as much anymore.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I find it hilarious that seemlingly half of LoX' players refer to Gaulen as Useless, Gaylen or Faggot. I think it is safe to say he's not the most popular protagonist ever written.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
LoX 2's hardcore mode should force you to play with a 6-Gaulen party

Actually, that would be quite strong. Gaulen is no pansy - he has very good hp & pp gain (4+2 is a very strong proportion) and his envenomed attack is quite potent. Very few enemies are immune to it and the only thing that keeps it in check is that, apart from the Raznet summon, you have no other sources of poison damage. 6 Gaulens with envenomed strike at 10 would put what, 72 poison damage each turn on any given foe? 6 is overkill, of course, but multiple explorers would've been actually strong.

Although I undestand where the orientation angle comes from, I think. Dunno about you, but for me he looked too much like Conchita Wurst for his own good. They're still wrong to call him Gaylen, of course, because that makes him tranny, not a gay. I guess there's some pun potential with him being able to invest into disarm trap skill (and using it on himself), but I'm too tired to invent anything atm.

thexsa

Educated
The only reason he's a faggot is because you are unable to choose what class to make him, instead you are forced into having him as either a utility char or a meatshield with only 1 useful combat skill.

Also, I just ran into the most interesting bug.

When I try to leave Velegarn, the southeastern guard asks for toll. I refuse, my char moves a few step down and gets into the same convo again -> move up to previous position -> repeat infinitely.
Triggering combat and fleeing from it did not help. Do not have 100 gold. Gonna have to sell a piece of equipment just to be allowed to leave town. Holy fuck that's retarded.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
collect cereal plants, sell them to the cripple next to the farm. No need to sell equipment.
I have to say however, someone who manages to run out of money in starter town and not being able to leave is hardly qualified to judge the usefulness of the main character.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If you are a complete dumbfuck, there's not much else we can help you with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom