Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Awesome.

Mark Dubya

Literate
Good fucking stuff, thanks for the post! :D

DivOS and the other KS giants might be the things most people are looking forward, but I'm also mad hype for the little guys; Both Xulima and Antharion are looking great. Sometimes, 'simple' is the way to go.

(Wish I could preorder Antharion..)

Exactly this. I was an early KS backer of D:OS, but I'm looking forward even more to both Xulima (backed, but not at the beta level) and Antharion (missed the KS, dammit). If any Xulima beta player could let us know their first impressions, I for one would be most obliged.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Already asked this, but didn't get any answers-

Any of you guys care to guess why the Antharion guys don't do the post-KS paypal purchasing thing? I tried to to tweet them but it seems to be dead.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
For $45 I don't feel I should be relegated to the second wave of beta players. But I can overlook it becuase I am quite stoked on this game and I still have the entire Demon Gaze postgame to get throug

belated

Augur
Have to wait until early-access so hope the other beta stages go by quickly!

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I backed at the $95 level so just missed the "Silver Medal" tier level. Doesn't matter as I'm one who won't play the beta or Early Release versions of any of the KS games I've backed. I'll patiently wait for the finished game (I've waited all these years for a return of decent cRPGs so what's a little longer!).

Inquisition

Educated
Wow this really looks cool. I may be tempted to throw 65 bucks in there, just to get the boxed edition.

No idea how I could've missed this.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Under-hyped on the codex IMO. Can someone make news stories for this title? An interview would be nice as well. While you are at it news team, I'll take a ham and cheese; go easy on the mustard.
:troll:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
I'll second Sbaitso's request.

Some kind of a Xulima
and Antharion
interview would be neat as hell!

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Ahh- Thanks but I already read that some time ago.

I'd appreciate having the Codex's more in-depth interviews. Now these are things with fucking meat on them.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ahh- Thanks but I already read that some time ago.

I'd appreciate having the Codex's more in-depth interviews. Now these are things with fucking meat on them.

Couchpotato is still new at this, but he's getting better with every interview.

A Codex interview would be great, too - these guys should get more publicity.

Last edited:

jdinatale

Cipher
This game is not getting enough hype compared to Pillars of Generic and WastedPotentialLand 2.

Mark Dubya

Literate
Any of you guys care to guess why the Antharion guys don't do the post-KS paypal purchasing thing? I tried to to tweet them but it seems to be dead.

I'd also like to know about this - I'd throw them some cash if I could, but they seem strangely uninterested in money. And I still have no idea why they insist on keeping all their KS updates private - seems like a surefire way to not generate publicity. Mmmmmkay.

Anyway, back to this thread - yeah, a LOX Codex interview would be sweet.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
And me and others appreciate it!
But still, I think they'd be smarter to be as apparent as possible. They should do some smaller updates more frequent too imo. Nothing mindblowing, maybe just share a few screens, a little feature they want to mention...

I just worry that this'll end up as one of these unfortunate scenarios where they get "just enough" money to succeed with the project on KS, but not enough money to actually sustain development on the game.

Maybe you could drop them a line for the good folk at the codex? As I mentioned, their Twitter is basically dead.

belated

Augur
New update out (I'm assuming it's not backers only?)
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...an-epic-story-of-gods-and-humans/posts/874634
Looking forward to the high-res map.

In case it is private:

Beta Edition Available!
98e6d75833f83586c95d8ae71ad24528_large.jpg

Greetings!

As you can imagine, we have been quite busy lately; there are already dozens of backers playing the beta of Lords of Xulima.

These dedicated players have been kind enough to let us know, through our development forum, about various bits of the game which required our attention. Fortunately, most of these corrections were related to in-game text: English localization, spelling errors, missing tooltip descriptions, and other similar things. Naturally, we continue to address issues as they come up, whether they are minor or part of the bigger family of compatibility errors.

With additional feedback from our backers to consider, we have tweaked lots of rules and game parameters so as to improve the game's balance and difficulty. Now, we think Lords of Xulima is much more polished and ready to welcome new beta players!

The New Beta

The latest Beta version includes voice-overs which were missing, Steam achievements as well as a fully implemented Hall of Heroes in the region of Varaskel. Just like the previous Beta phase, we will send out invitation e-mails to ask if you would like to participate in the Beta program. As always, we would like to recommend that players wait until the final version for the best experience possible, but if you wish to play, you can do it now!

Since the process of sending invitations and keys is a task we have to do manually, we will need several days to contact everyone, so we appreciate your patience. This upcoming Monday is when the take-off happens, and if all goes well it might even start sooner!

As a reminder, this Beta version will be available for all those who pledged for the Beta Player Edition in Kickstarter (or those who pre-ordered from our website). Of course, it is also available for all those who pledged for higher rewards.

Wallpapers & Worldmap Rewards

Last week we sent out wallpapers to eligible backers. This week, we will send you the high-definition Worldmap of Xulima. We hope you like it, and that it will inspire you to look forward to exploring the vast world of Xulima.

2e36ca1360d13435ad20ed3f40b63915_large.jpg

You might be interested in knowing that the small beach known as Tranquil Coast, in the western part of Velegarn, is where the adventure starts...
...and that's it. For now! See you soon!

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I backed at the $95 level so just missed the "Silver Medal" tier level. Doesn't matter as I'm one who won't play the beta or Early Release versions of any of the KS games I've backed. I'll patiently wait for the finished game (I've waited all these years for a return of decent cRPGs so what's a little longer!).
You'd be surprised how many feel the same way about their libido apprehension for the game. Understandably, the most feedback we get is from people who want to jump in as soon as possible, so it's always nice to hear from the other crowd. Hats off to you sir :obviously:

Under-hyped on the codex IMO. Can someone make news stories for this title?
The Codex has actually been very kind, especially considering our inexperience in contacting game portals and harassing, bribing, causing drama getting journalist attention. In a month or two we'll make some more waves, and we have a much better approach this time. For one, a more immersive trailer (with actual gameplay meat), and probably a bro demo :smug:

Well, if there's enough interest, a semi or fully community-sourced interview is not impossible. Start a thread, gather some questions, make some noise... anythings possible when enough people with hatred for popamoles passion for old school RPGs band together!

Great, the map has a very cool Might & Magic vibe to it. Like it!
The layout of the map reminds me of the one in Gothic 3.
Thank you! Jesús (as in the lead dev) is very fond of it as well. And, good eye, Gothic is actually part of LoX's gamut of influences.

If any Xulima beta player could let us know their first impressions, I for one would be most obliged.
That's a fair request, I think it's okay to paste something from our forums. Here's a really interesting piece written by Skitnik:

"The presantation is fantastic, visuals and music create together a warm, oniric atmosphere, quite suited for the fantasy genre. For someone who dislikes the murky "grimdark" brown or the pastel/plastic disneyland look of most modern games, this is more than welcome.

The gameplay, which is, in my opinion, the most important thing in any game, seems promising. No handholding, oldschool feel. Might and Magic and Wizardry were definitely sources of inspiration, and if Lords of Xulima manages to combine the exploration of the former with the challenge and mechanics of the later, it will be a very special game.

I like the lore, and the story, the main quest, draws me in the game and makes me want to know more. The side quests given by the weapon master in the first town will offer a reason for exploration and combat. Having to fetch bundles of wheat for the old peasant made me cringe, it's the very definition of fetch quests. I could do without these.

As a final word, here's what I felt after exploring a little the wilderness and the town of Velegarn, and when I opened for the first time the world map (a work of art!) : unlike most modern books, games, movies in the adventure genre, who have lost this elusive and hard to describe feeling, this particular moment in the story when the explorer discovers the ruins of an ancient civilization, when the astronaut lands on an unknown planet, here an adventure lies ahead, full of mystery, discovery and challenge."

There you have it. I underlined the biggest criticism in there just to point out that the grind factor of this repeatable quest (the only one in the game, IIRC) has since been "toned down". It had to be implemented for very specific reasons, but it's been softened to make sure nobody is stuck playing Harvest Moon (unless they tried to railroad the game, in which case we're fine with a bit of punishment :P).

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Sweet! I was worried since actual updates weren't very common and they used the Twitter to just repost old news from their site..

But it looks like they weren't resting on their laurels. I am officially hyped.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Great, the map has a very cool Might & Magic vibe to it. Like it!

Yeah, exactly. It reminds me a lot of M&M 6's map. Maps like this are so awesome. One look at them and you're all like "I WANT TO EXPLORE THIS WORLD AND KILL MONSTERS AND ENTER DUNGEONS AND GET ALL THE LOOT AND XP FUCK YEAH"

Alchemist

Arcane
Yeah, that map is glorious. That elusive "sense of wonder" seems strong in this game. I'm glad I backed it.

imweasel

Just received the high resolution map. Looks great, i'm a happy backer. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom