Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Making Gaulen an interesting character to play instead of a non-combat skill bot with envenomed strike would be cool too. Or just letting the player to choose his class and tacking the explorer shit on top of that.

My Gaulen rocked as archer. Pretty good dps&wounding back row enemies.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
-Some voice overs are ridicilous. I'm having nightmares yelling "I'M THE MASTER"
:D and my dreams are haunted by a sleazy "I won't bite you in the neck"
Making Gaulen an interesting character to play instead of a non-combat skill bot with envenomed strike would be cool too. Or just letting the player to choose his class and tacking the explorer shit on top of that.
Or just skip the idea of a fixed party member at all. I mean, he's not that interesting of a character to begin with. And the story is shallow enough, simply replacing the concept "Gaulen the Explorer" with generic "Six chosen Heroes" would cut it just as well.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Or just skip the idea of a fixed party member at all. I mean, he's not that interesting of a character to begin with. And the story is shallow enough, simply replacing the concept "Gaulen the Explorer" with generic "Six chosen Heroes" would cut it just as well.

Well yeah, that would be a possibility for the second part. Don't know if the second part is intended to continue from where the first part ended with the same party, like an expansion, or on a new party altogether as a standalone type of thing. If it's a new party, they can just have Gaulen(& crew) gather a completely new party of heroes to go around and smack bitches, while he is handling the big picture.

miles teg

Scholar

Well Gaulen is a non-combat skill bot only if you are playing without a thief and so you are somehow "forced" to make him learn trap disarm, unlocking and perception. I play with a thief and Gaulen is a proficient bow user in my team (too bad bows suck, but that's another story :D). But yeah, I agree he is the less flexible party member.

donjn

Educated
40 hours in, I like the game, but I think it is a bit overrated.
But somewhere after 35 hours kicked in, I began to get fatigue from the random encounters. It is repetitive and boring.
Like I said, good game, I would give it a strong 78 out of 100. But I dont think it is anywhere even close to Divinity:OS.

torpid

Liturgist
Well Gaulen is a non-combat skill bot only if you are playing without a thief and so you are somehow "forced" to make him learn trap disarm, unlocking and perception. I play with a thief and Gaulen is a proficient bow user in my team (too bad bows suck, but that's another story :D). But yeah, I agree he is the less flexible party member.

Yeah, Gaulen is a decent front-liner if you have a thief (and a bard for mercantilism). He was doing about as much damage as my paladin. I guess he's gimped without a thief, but why wouldn't you play without a thief and tEh SHURIKENS??

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Random encounters are easily avoided. The game gives you the option to run before the encounter even begins and shows the odds of it succeeding or not based on your party's speed. Additionally you are given the option to use magic to hide from encounters and that seems to work always assuming you have the power points for it.

It's not necessary to fight in every random encounter.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
One thing i don't get is why the hell Thief does not get bloody strike? Paladin does, and you have to teach him swords against his starting skills (poles and hammers?). So i use a katana on thief and am waiting for bloody strike to appear... only to realize it won't come.

roshan

Arcane
One thing i don't get is why the hell Thief does not get bloody strike? Paladin does, and you have to teach him swords against his starting skills (poles and hammers?). So i use a katana on thief and am waiting for bloody strike to appear... only to realize it won't come.

Quick Strike is just as awesome. QS on my speed rogue was really OP.

V_K

Arcane
He gets shurikens which are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Finally bit the bullet and bought this.

What a piece of shit.. better shit that a lot of other shit, but still shit.

Boring repetitive garbage.

Yes, there are puzzles and numbers and fights, but that doesn't make a good game. It's a shame too, I see where they are going with it and it's certainly better than anything Bethesda or Bioware are putting out but the entire game just boils down to a checklist. Go there, fight baddie win area move on to next, there's simply not enough actual FUN in this game to stretch out the hours it looks like it'll last for.

Why are all (new) rpg's "go to area, do jobs, fight move on"... WHERE'S THE FUCKING IMAGINATION.

In ANY RPG in the last 10 years.. where the fuck are all the 'situations'?

You are walking down the road.. WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENS...SOMETHING....ANYTHING that isn't just a mob to fight or a (fetch) quest to do.. where are the surprises?

BOOORIIING.

I'm getting really pissed off with these shitty arsed games that have the cheek to try to pass themselves of as a role playing adventure.. all these games boil down to now is 'roll character and go fight', and here's a really shitty hole ridden half finished story that we've just shoved in as an after thought.

Man, I'm beginning to hate RPG's because of the lack of imagination in these so called games designers.

Tigranes

Arcane
So I've seen a variety of opinions over the last 20 pages. What do people think now with some benefit of time passed?

I wasn't a blobber fan back in the day. I enjoyed M&MX, Wiz8 is cool, but I do find that when I go back to older M&Ms, etc. it just gets too grindy and I feel like that takes over the game experience. I imagine that's similarly the case for this, though I'm sure I"ll enjoy the first 10-20 hours?

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Yep, first 10-20 is fine, but after that it's just more of the same and there is nothing happening in the game to break it up a bit, it's just go to village then proceed with checklist and it's not even worth it sticking in for the story

EDIT.. and job boards... they have to die. What? they couldn't be arsed designing some shitty npcs to talk to about their shitty quests? you just have to go instead to the shitty job board to get the shitty jobs. Checkilist.

roshan

Arcane
So I've seen a variety of opinions over the last 20 pages. What do people think now with some benefit of time passed?

I wasn't a blobber fan back in the day. I enjoyed M&MX, Wiz8 is cool, but I do find that when I go back to older M&Ms, etc. it just gets too grindy and I feel like that takes over the game experience. I imagine that's similarly the case for this, though I'm sure I"ll enjoy the first 10-20 hours?

Have you played the game?

It does get grindy, I think this starts when you're done with about 60% of the game, but has a lot of fresh elements that kept me playing, and I think the game was quite aware of this and built around it. For one thing towards the end it becomes unnecessary to actually grind combat and you can skip encounters with not much issue, and most of the dungeons become noncombat areas filled with puzzles and secrets. And one of the pleasures of the mid to later game is being able to explore harsh environments that you previously couldn't.

Overall it's really good but of course YMMV.

roshan

Arcane
Yep, first 10-20 is fine, but after that it's just more of the same and there is nothing happening in the game to break it up a bit, it's just go to village then proceed with checklist and it's not even worth it sticking in for the story

"Boo hoo this game isn't another Arcanum or PST."

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I am 20+ hours in and have to somewhat agree. There is no FUN. You just try to find the next suitable area, so that you can grind a level or two and then finish the business you couldn't before. Then repeat. This is more like king bounty, but with a party.
That's probably the most redeeming quality - char/party progression and combat. Only thing that keeps me playing for now.

Tigranes

Arcane
Have you played the game?

It does get grindy, I think this starts when you're done with about 60% of the game, but has a lot of fresh elements that kept me playing, and I think the game was quite aware of this and built around it. For one thing towards the end it becomes unnecessary to actually grind combat and you can skip encounters with not much issue, and most of the dungeons become noncombat areas filled with puzzles and secrets. And one of the pleasures of the mid to later game is being able to explore harsh environments that you previously couldn't.

Overall it's really good but of course YMMV.

Nope. I am wondering whether to buy it, hence the question. I'm OK with a grindy combat simulator if the encounter design, loot scale and character development is up to scratch. I thought M&MX was just good enough on those points to stay fun for its own length, same with King's Bounty games, so I enjoyed them.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Nope. I am wondering whether to buy it, hence the question. I'm OK with a grindy combat simulator if the encounter design, loot scale and character development is up to scratch. I thought M&MX was just good enough on those points to stay fun for its own length, same with King's Bounty games, so I enjoyed them.
The combat system isn't that great in my opinion so encounter design probably doesn't succeed here.

I think char development and loot were done better in M&M X if that's your frame of reference...

M&M X is probably the better game overall and I think the only point I can give to LoX is that resource/gold management is more fun in this game for the first 10-20 hours and also LoX isn't done in fucking shitty Unity (afaik?) An optimized M&M X would probably be the outright winner for me

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Define "fun".
Well, it's a dungeon crawl... So maybe more unique encounters, less random trash mobs. No crappy trap and lockpicking minigames. Better itemization, hand placed rewards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom