Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Rpgsaurus Rex

Whisper, did you beat the game yet (on any difficulty)?

Restarted 7-8 times, around lvls 14-15.

I usualy dont restart, this game is exception.

It's just about your question with 3 mages on HC, it seems a bit masochistic. End location mobs have like three ~4000 HP tanks in front, two ~2000 HP mages in the back, with the mages being immune or super-resistant to most types of elemental damage. The best shock area spell will do about 100 damage each of the tanks, same with the frost spells, costing ~120-200 mana per cast. This is on veteran, on hardcore the resists are higher so these numbers are optimistic. I guess your best bet is to spam meteor rain until they're all so wounded (+2 wounds per cast... and it takes about 40-50 wounds on veteran to weaken them properly, you get the picture) they can't retaliate and just chip them down bit by bit.

Now, even if you scrape every little bit of possible XP and bump energy every level I doubt you'd reach higher than 500 mana per mage by endgame. In other words, if you use them to deal damage they will run out of mana very fast and you'll need potions, potions, potions... which cost more on hardcore, compounded with everything being more expensive the situation is tricky. I guess it could work if you're a crazy min-maxer and will squeeze every bit to splurge on potions in the end but I just don't see it being very fun.

My biggest issue with offensive magic is the same one I had with Wizardry 8. It doesn't scale.

You're welcome to prove me wrong, though. I've not played the game on hardcore, after all. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Hmm sparks can only hit first row AND costs more mana for same damage as stone arrow.

Dmg is physical though is it better or worse then fire dmg?

Most of the time physical is better - tbh i find it kind of ironic that the most useful dmg spells are the physical dmg ones (except for inferno and blizzard ofc)

cw8

Cipher
Level 53 and my mage has 98 in Energy, about 450mana. Energy Absorption at max as well. Max meteor and lightning are my normal nuking spells. Thunder Storm and Meteor Swarm for AE. I absorb enemy mana if I'm low. Demons give quite a handful of mana. I drink pots only at boss fights or those extra lengthy demon or Lich encounters.

Difficulty?

Also, u went Speed+Energy? Low Con was not problem?

Old School Veteran. Yes mostly speed + energy but my Con isn't exactly that low though. Once awhile I'll put Con for my casters, although most of their Cons come from herbs and the liquids lying about in the world and dungeons. The melee classes I level Con much more.
Once you get high resists, Con doesn't mean much. At 90-100+ resists, you'll laugh at the Demonlords casting Fireballs, Frostballs or Comet Showers only to see them hit for 10-20dmg or your party members outright absorbing the spell.

cw8

Cipher
Hmm sparks can only hit first row AND costs more mana for same damage as stone arrow.

Dmg is physical though is it better or worse then fire dmg?

Stone Arrow is definitely better than Sparks. Most of the time it hits for more too.

cw8

Cipher
Thief (dagger specced, regret).

why regret

Coz daggers suck compared to swords, also you can't dual wield daggers but you can use 2H swords. And for melee classes only 3 weapon types are worth giving a damn about, the improved bleed damage ones and the ones that inflict more wounds. Improved Combat Initiative ones for the casters especially Clerics where you need to start off with a good AE buff.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah daggers suck ass. Thankfully Pope Amole's guide said to avoid them, so I did thankfully. Mine just wields a 2 handed sword (there is NO reason to use single handed weapons on your fighters because they do awesome amounts of damage).

roshan

Arcane
Thief (dagger specced, regret).

why regret

Coz daggers suck compared to swords, also you can't dual wield daggers but you can use 2H swords. And for melee classes only 3 weapon types are worth giving a damn about, the improved bleed damage ones and the ones that inflict more wounds. Improved Combat Initiative ones for the casters especially Clerics where you need to start off with a good AE buff.

Are pole weapons any good? Bows and crossbows or shurikens? What should I do with my bard and cleric, weapon wise?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Pole weapons are basically shit, BUT they are the only(?) long reach weapons a cleric can use on the back row. Have your Bard use a Bow. Crossbows do more damage but they ARE SO DAMN SLOW.

cw8

Cipher
Are pole weapons any good? Bows and crossbows or shurikens? What should I do with my bard and cleric, weapon wise?

Shurikens are basically the I-Win button at skill level 20 and above. Except you can't press the I-Win button infinitely and you have to buy them.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Old School Veteran. Yes mostly speed + energy but my Con isn't exactly that low though. Once awhile I'll put Con for my casters, although most of their Cons come from herbs and the liquids lying about in the world and dungeons. The melee classes I level Con much more.
Once you get high resists, Con doesn't mean much. At 90-100+ resists, you'll laugh at the Demonlords casting Fireballs, Frostballs or Comet Showers only to see them hit for 10-20dmg or your party members outright absorbing the spell.

And end-game mobs have physical dmg to hit mages in back row?

I never take Con for melee classes.

It's just about your question with 3 mages on HC, it seems a bit masochistic. End location mobs have like three ~4000 HP tanks in front, two ~2000 HP mages in the back, with the mages being immune or super-resistant to most types of elemental damage. The best shock area spell will do about 100 damage each of the tanks, same with the frost spells, costing ~120-200 mana per cast. This is on veteran, on hardcore the resists are higher so these numbers are optimistic. I guess your best bet is to spam meteor rain until they're all so wounded (+2 wounds per cast... and it takes about 40-50 wounds on veteran to weaken them properly, you get the picture) they can't retaliate and just chip them down bit by bit.

Now, even if you scrape every little bit of possible XP and bump energy every level I doubt you'd reach higher than 500 mana per mage by endgame. In other words, if you use them to deal damage they will run out of mana very fast and you'll need potions, potions, potions... which cost more on hardcore, compounded with everything being more expensive the situation is tricky. I guess it could work if you're a crazy min-maxer and will squeeze every bit to splurge on potions in the end but I just don't see it being very fun.

My biggest issue with offensive magic is the same one I had with Wizardry 8. It doesn't scale.

You're welcome to prove me wrong, though. I've not played the game on hardcore, after all.

I am not sure which 2 other characters to take in mage party. Cleric and Barb, currently. Barb to take most hit and tank.

Why i ask this question is that i am worried that i wont have enough mana to kill mobs.

Anyone played on hardcore with mages party?

cw8

Cipher
And end-game mobs have physical dmg to hit mages in back row?

I never take Con for melee classes.

There are. Some of the demons can hit 1 of the targets in the front row and 1 at the back row, kinda like how Flames work. But it's a low dmg attack that stuns. The thing you have to watch out for is Meteor spam and some of them can Meteor Shower which your resists don't work since they're physical damage. I have a Cleric though, nothing a Mass Divine Armour and Mass Heal can't solve.

roshan

Arcane
OK need some advice here. I killed almost all the goblins in the starting areas, and cleared all the rats and spiders in the cave. However, the skeleton in it absolutely massacres my party, same with the bird outside the tower. Any advice on what I should do next? Two of my characters (Gaulen and the thief) are level two and I put stat points in agility and speed.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Get blessings from the lady in town.

Head North from the town, there is a beach (and a quest from the job board there).

ALWAYS pick Speed for all characters at level up. Should probably pick STR for your fighters. But you will need STR and AGI for better weapons. Also keep an eye out for STR and AGI items from the vendor.

roshan

Arcane
Thanks that helped! Party is in much better shape now. I'm at the statue of Yul. Should I pray to it, or destroy it?

cw8

Cipher
Thanks that helped! Party is in much better shape now. I'm at the statue of Yul. Should I pray to it, or destroy it?

I destroyed them. Honestly I do not know the difference. I only know that destroying more and more of the statues gives incremental exp.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Praying is more advantageous - it gives, like, +3 extra levels in terms of HP & PP whereas the xp for destroying them all won't even give your party one extra level. Not even a half of it, it seems.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Maybe it's just me and there's some kind of PLOT TWIST later on (feel free to spoil it for me, I don't care about the story) but I think it's so weird that despite the fact that you're apparently trying to stop him, Yul is all "Oh, you prayed to me, guess I'll give you some HP or something, now bugger off" instead of smiting you

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Your party is going to end up GOD LIKE anyways, I just destroyed them.

You get will get some awesome stat boosts once you fight the Titans.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Who do you get past those 2 barriers in the Temple of Taliet? There are 2 barriers and that room with those fucking electrical things. I've walked through that room in a circle, and nothing? Oh FFS! How did I miss that damn door!

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
Do early game skills like Light Heal and Song of Courage remain relevant later on? My party is level four but I've been saving my points instead of pumping those skills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom