Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I have:
Gaulen (axe fighter) Paladin (maces for stunning) Thief (sword)
Mage Bard Cleric

This is working great for me. Gaulen is great on the front lines, and his poison attack is damn handy. The Paladin misses so much which is RAGE INDUCING, but that is about my only complaint.

Hi guys, any tips on party creation? :)

Have 3 in front and 3 in the back. Main char is pre-made but his skill set is flexible so he can go wherever. You don't *need* a rogue to do rogue things since the main char can learn them as well, but the rogue class is still very useful. This game is really good at not forcing you into any party build, every class has its strengths and weaknesses so just go with whatever you feel like and you should be fine as long as you don't miss out on the obvious stuff (like having at least someone who can heal).

I wouldn't agree with this. I'd say there's 3 pitfalls to watch out for.

Soldier is useless.
Paladins are only useful if you have 2 or 3 of them.
Gaulen is only useful if he's in the back row.

Soldier is extremely good. She was my star character with the most consistent contribution to every difficult fight, having maxed out all offensive active skills but Aimed Shot by the end of the game. The way I dealt with the big encounters was by applying Wounds, Bleeding and (maybe) Stuns to the fattest guys before taking them down. The Soldier is the only class who can apply two modifiers to a significant degree every turn.

My frontline axeguy Gaulen was hitting as hard as my Barb barring Barb's crits in the last 25% of the game + his poison attack made his damage output comparable to the Barb's (since poison is rarely resisted).

In other words, two of your statements are already contradicted by my experience which is why I humbly tried to be very general with my advise.
The paladin's heal is extremely shitty. more than 1 pally is a waste. you only need one pally in center frontline.
Aura of protection coupled with bard's buffs and a mass divine armor/mass regeneration from cleric makes your party almost untouchable to physical attacks. And he can learn the soldier attacks...though will only be able to select one, at most 2.

Last edited:

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Hi guys, any tips on party creation? :)

Have 3 in front and 3 in the back. Main char is pre-made but his skill set is flexible so he can go wherever. You don't *need* a rogue to do rogue things since the main char can learn them as well, but the rogue class is still very useful. This game is really good at not forcing you into any party build, every class has its strengths and weaknesses so just go with whatever you feel like and you should be fine as long as you don't miss out on the obvious stuff (like having at least someone who can heal).

I wouldn't agree with this. I'd say there's 3 pitfalls to watch out for.

Soldier is useless.
Paladins are only useful if you have 2 or 3 of them.
Gaulen is only useful if he's in the back row.

Soldier is extremely good. She was my star character with the most consistent contribution to every difficult fight, having maxed out all offensive active skills but Aimed Shot by the end of the game. The way I dealt with the big encounters was by applying Wounds, Bleeding and (maybe) Stuns to the fattest guys before taking them down. The Soldier is the only class who can apply two modifiers to a significant degree every turn.

My frontline axeguy Gaulen was hitting as hard as my Barb barring Barb's crits in the last 25% of the game + his poison attack made his damage output comparable to the Barb's (since poison is rarely resisted).

In other words, two of your statements are already contradicted by my experience which is why I humbly tried to be very general with my advise.
The paladin's heal is extremely shitty. more than 1 pally is a waste. you only need one pally in center frontline.
Aura of protection coupled with bard's buffs and a mass divine armor from cleric makes your party almost untouchable to physical attacks. And he can learn the soldier attacks...though will only be able to select one, at most 2.

Multiple auras of blessing stack, and the results are incredible.

O_O aura of protection stack?
Haven't tested it, but still would prefer bard for song of victory/requiem over a second pally. also bard gets perception and object evaluation for 1 point so he relieves some load from gaulen skill point wise. seriously bard is fucking amazing.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just killed that Earth Guardian ouch.... I now wish I would have held off and killed that corrupted guardian in Febret's temple and tried to kill it later. Oh well. Next time. :D

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Just killed that Earth Guardian ouch.... I now wish I would have held off and killed that corrupted guardian in Febret's temple and tried to kill it later. Oh well. Next time. :D

huh?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Any advise on mage spells, which to take and which to skip?

Also mage party (3 mages in the back) on hardcore - it is possible to finish game with this setup?

I am not sure there is enough mana for late game monsters (didnt test it yet). Should i got energy+speed instead of usual con-speed? Would it hurt too much when mobs attack back row?

Any who tried mage party on hardcore, your info is welcome.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Good to see a divergence of opinions - a good RPG system should always incite debate! I started a party earlier with a thief, cleric, barbarian, bard, soldier and of course Gaulen. Is this a decent enough party to handle the game? Playing on the difficulty level above normal.

You can win on Veteran with any team, i think.

Normal = easy
Veteran (old-school) = normal
Hardcore = hard

p.s. Myself i've started game like 7-8 times already just to get feel of different group combinations. I play 5-7 hours then move to next team, by making new game. But this is on hardcore, for veteran you can win with any grp, just take cleric.

But if u ask:
" thief, cleric, barbarian, bard, soldier and of course Gaulen" i would advise trade soldier for paladin. make gaulen an archer and this grp is probably best out of those i made for hardcore.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

huh?

In Febret's temple there is basically a corrupted Earth Like guardian in there. But if you cleanse the Temple, it goes away.

I know about this. Just your sentence is puzzling. Why would u kill corrupted ele instead of making it go away? For exp?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Yup thats the one Pocketmine, tho i found a mistake in it - mages cost 3 skill points to level armor, instead of the 2 thats written in there.

Ok small update, I restarted the game. Atm lvl 6 and its going really good. Mobs die fast.
Pumping con and speed every level and armor+sparks+meditation on mages. Maxed sparks and will wait till lvl 10 to get blizzard.
TBH i am tempted to include the bodybuilding in the mage build, but kinda think i might end up starved on skill points. Hm....... will have to think about it. On max lvl its extra 120 hp, not sure if its worth it, but its oh so expensive
Think il skip rest of the spells till i get Icy shards (maybe, dunno if this is really mandatory) and Meteor ofc for those SWEET SWEET wounds (over 20 wounds makes the mob unable to hit anything).
Leveling all the utility skills on Gaulen and the poor bastard atm is kind of a mule, cant hit the broad side of a barn. But capping herbalism, perception and mercantilism is a prio over his melee abilities.

Why max sparks and not stone arrow?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Is there a goddamn trainer or cheats for this game out yet? im getting kinda annoyed being lvl 3, i find barely any gold at all (and that damn town guard takes 100 every damn time) and getting beaten by everything, even mushrooms (those big ones are impossible, even a single one in a random encounter just simply killed my fully healed party, spamming that damn breath attack...) and on top of that i get a unavoidable hard ass battle out of nowhgere against a Cursed Wolf, which i defeated just by pure luck with a single char left, GRRRRRRRRR

im gonna find a way to cheat or im gonna install Skyrim with mods instead.

:)

Try normal difficulty. Normal difficulty is cheat, very easy.

Luzur

Good Sir
Is there a goddamn trainer or cheats for this game out yet? im getting kinda annoyed being lvl 3, i find barely any gold at all (and that damn town guard takes 100 every damn time) and getting beaten by everything, even mushrooms (those big ones are impossible, even a single one in a random encounter just simply killed my fully healed party, spamming that damn breath attack...) and on top of that i get a unavoidable hard ass battle out of nowhgere against a Cursed Wolf, which i defeated just by pure luck with a single char left, GRRRRRRRRR

im gonna find a way to cheat or im gonna install Skyrim with mods instead.

:)

Try normal difficulty. Normal difficulty is cheat, very easy.

i am on normal.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
i tried, party got beaten badly after i barely got one guard down to maybe half HP....

I tried different parties, they all clear guards at lvl 3 on hardcore. I never pay them more then 100 gold (At beggining when u first enter village).

I think problem is not with game. Press "X to win" wont work here.
You do need research a bit (check guide) and experiment different builds. Game is fun if u give it a try and little effort.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The beginning is quite difficult for a new player to this game. But if I restarted over now I would know exactly what to do.

If this is too tough for you you might like BioWare or Bethesda games. Play them instead.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
CRPGAddict on Lords of Xulima: http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2014/11/lords-of-xulima-made-for-me.html

Almost two years ago, when I was in the midst of Tangled Tales, ananonymous poster commented and said that, inspired by my blog, he decided to create an RPG called Lords of Xulima. He linked to the blog of the studio developing it, Numantian Games. I was suspicious of the comment, given that the linked site (worth reading) referred to my blog as a "book." As it violated my comment rules anyway, I deleted the post and suggested that "it felt a lot like the author had simply plugged my name into that location and then tried to use my blog for free advertising."

Two years later, I feel kind of bad about that:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Level 53 and my mage has 98 in Energy, about 450mana. Energy Absorption at max as well. Max meteor and lightning are my normal nuking spells. Thunder Storm and Meteor Swarm for AE. I absorb enemy mana if I'm low. Demons give quite a handful of mana. I drink pots only at boss fights or those extra lengthy demon or Lich encounters.

Difficulty?

Also, u went Speed+Energy? Low Con was not problem?

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Yup thats the one Pocketmine, tho i found a mistake in it - mages cost 3 skill points to level armor, instead of the 2 thats written in there.

Ok small update, I restarted the game. Atm lvl 6 and its going really good. Mobs die fast.
Pumping con and speed every level and armor+sparks+meditation on mages. Maxed sparks and will wait till lvl 10 to get blizzard.
TBH i am tempted to include the bodybuilding in the mage build, but kinda think i might end up starved on skill points. Hm....... will have to think about it. On max lvl its extra 120 hp, not sure if its worth it, but its oh so expensive
Think il skip rest of the spells till i get Icy shards (maybe, dunno if this is really mandatory) and Meteor ofc for those SWEET SWEET wounds (over 20 wounds makes the mob unable to hit anything).
Leveling all the utility skills on Gaulen and the poor bastard atm is kind of a mule, cant hit the broad side of a barn. But capping herbalism, perception and mercantilism is a prio over his melee abilities.

Why max sparks and not stone arrow?

Since mages start with 1 point in it, so only 4 points left to max it. But really, no specific reason, just went with it. Also found it very useful later on as well (think stone arrow would be as well)

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Hmm sparks can only hit first row AND costs more mana for same damage as stone arrow.

Dmg is physical though is it better or worse then fire dmg?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom