Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
im gonna find a way to cheat or im gonna install Skyrim with mods instead.

Play normal difficulty. It's pretty much a cheat in this game.

My reaction when walking somewhere, suddenly a group of the most annoying enemies ever attacks:
361.gif

Yeah. At first, they were cute, but we're talking about, like, 5 areas with lots of different-graded wasp encounters (which, despite the grade, play pretty much the same). Same is for the thieves (and in most of those areas it's either bees or thieves). I understand game designer trying to be clever with his system (even if that cleverness is a bit of cliche), but that doesn't mean he should shove it in our faces by CTRL+C, CTRL+V-ing this shit into our face for half-a-hundred times or so.

Mortmal

Arcane
Is there a goddamn trainer or cheats for this game out yet? im getting kinda annoyed being lvl 3, i find barely any gold at all (and that damn town guard takes 100 every damn time) and getting beaten by everything, even mushrooms (those big ones are impossible, even a single one in a random encounter just simply killed my fully healed party, spamming that damn breath attack...) and on top of that i get a unavoidable hard ass battle out of nowhgere against a Cursed Wolf, which i defeated just by pure luck with a single char left, GRRRRRRRRR

You are supposed to evade the mushrroms, hove the mouse cursor over them on map, and you will get a detection circle.As for getting no gold and being beaten its the way it should be .30 pages ago i had the same exact complain about diffculty. TIme to plug the pad and ride the bull luzur :)

Luzur

Good Sir

I am on normal diff.

Is there a goddamn trainer or cheats for this game out yet? im getting kinda annoyed being lvl 3, i find barely any gold at all (and that damn town guard takes 100 every damn time) and getting beaten by everything, even mushrooms (those big ones are impossible, even a single one in a random encounter just simply killed my fully healed party, spamming that damn breath attack...) and on top of that i get a unavoidable hard ass battle out of nowhgere against a Cursed Wolf, which i defeated just by pure luck with a single char left, GRRRRRRRRR

You are supposed to evade the mushrroms, hove the mouse cursor over them on map, and you will get a detection circle.As for getting no gold and being beaten its the way it should be .30 pages ago i had the same exact complain about diffculty. TIme to plug the pad and ride the bull luzur :)

Thing is though, i survived Bard's Tale on C64 without getting this annoyed, and as i said that big mushroom was not really avoidable, it was a random encounter in that Sporia woods part and not that part northwest in Sporia woods where you are supposed to "sneak in from the north", as was the cursed dog thing, im walking fully healed party with food for 4 days just out of town on the path north of Tower of Depression/Sadness/something and suddenly my screen goes black and i get a "no-chance-you-have-to-engage" encounter out of the blue, damn dog killed every char but one, and he was on 4/46 HP when he by pure luck got the last swing before the dog did, and when combat was over i had to rest, and retreat back to town because 4 characters where cursed, fucking gate guard took 100 gold AGAIN and then the rest of my small pile of gold was taken by the temple, so i was kinda back on square one.

it just feels tedious as it is now, and not even grinding in Final Fantasy on NES gave me this feeling..

Pope Amole II

Developer
i get a "no-chance-you-have-to-engage" encounter out of the blue, damn dog killed every char but one, and he was on 4/46 HP when he by pure luck got the last swing before the dog did, and when combat was over i had to rest, and retreat back to town because 4 characters where cursed, fucking gate guard took 100 gold AGAIN and then the rest of my small pile of gold was taken by the temple, so i was kinda back on square one.

it just feels tedious as it is now, and not even grinding in Final Fantasy on NES gave me this feeling..

What's your party? And the unobvious solution there is that, until you can heal the curse on your own (lvl 36), you never pay for the curse removal - you get cursed again pretty much instantly so it's just a waste of money.

And, well, this game gets very tedious sooner or later so yeah.

Luzur

Good Sir
i get a "no-chance-you-have-to-engage" encounter out of the blue, damn dog killed every char but one, and he was on 4/46 HP when he by pure luck got the last swing before the dog did, and when combat was over i had to rest, and retreat back to town because 4 characters where cursed, fucking gate guard took 100 gold AGAIN and then the rest of my small pile of gold was taken by the temple, so i was kinda back on square one.

What's your party? And the unobvious solution there is that, until you can heal the curse on your own (lvl 36), you never pay for the curse removal - you get cursed again pretty much instantly so it's just a waste of money.

And, well, this game gets very tedious sooner or later so yeah.

Gelbaun, paladin, soldier, barbarian, cleric and soldier.

Pope Amole II

Developer

TBH, even on the normal difficulty this is a very boring & tedious build to play. There are 3 characters that ease the grind in the game - mage, divine summoner & the bard (bard kicks in only past lvl 30 but with such strength that it blasts the door away). And, well, your party has none of these. You also don't have a thief (who makes most of those early cursed hounds & other living crap encounters very trivial - just buy all the shurikens you can see).

Mortmal

Arcane

I am on normal diff.

Thing is though, i survived Bard's Tale on C64 without getting this annoyed, and as i said that big mushroom was not really avoidable, it was a random encounter in that Sporia woods part and not that part northwest in Sporia woods where you are supposed to "sneak in from the north", as was the cursed dog thing, im walking fully healed party with food for 4 days just out of town on the path north of Tower of Depression/Sadness/something and suddenly my screen goes black and i get a "no-chance-you-have-to-engage" encounter out of the blue, damn dog killed every char but one, and he was on 4/46 HP when he by pure luck got the last swing before the dog did, and when combat was over i had to rest, and retreat back to town because 4 characters where cursed, fucking gate guard took 100 gold AGAIN and then the rest of my small pile of gold was taken by the temple, so i was kinda back on square one.

Yes its harder than classic games , and when i suggested the balance may be wrong, i was assaulted on this thread.Your party composition would make sense in a classic rpg but int his one some classes are much better than others like popamole already said. I think you will suffer.

Luzur

Good Sir

I am on normal diff.

Yes its harder than classic games , and when i suggested the balance may be wrong, i was assaulted on this thread.Your party composition would make sense in a classic rpg but int his one some classes are much better than others like popamole already said. I think you will suffer.

No shit.

Well im holding off playing for now, until i get a editor going.

Drowed

Arcane

I am on normal diff.

No shit.

Well im holding off playing for now, until i get a editor going.

Can't you just use 'Cheat Engine' and get money/exp/stats/whatever?

Norfleet

Sounds like someone needs to Git Gud.

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's an extremely gear-dependant party. These guys will need cutting-edge weapons (damage-oriented swords or axes preferably; try to hit a comfortable balance between 2h and 1h+enchanted shield). Support Paladin is also a bit like an Arcane Soldier, he wants all 5 stats but can afford to let Strength fall behind a bit in favor of more hit chance/utility. Also, Scrolls of Bard Songs will help this party a lot (look for anything that adds Attack Rating or Action Modifier).

Barbarians are... well, a bit passive (although they become unstoppable soon enough). Would've liked to add abilities that cost HP to cast but that would've required additional programming/debugging and by then the workload just couldn't bear it +M

How do people feel about multiples of the same class being allowed in the party?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You really need a party that can: Stun, Bleed, Poison and Burn.

A basic party of Gaulen (poison), Thief (bleed), Paladin (stun) and Mage (burn) can pull this off. And the Bard buffs are *very* handy.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Buffs and debuffs prevail. Early access to all party/enemy AOE attacks are a major advantage. Cleric and Bard are both really great support classes.

TigerKnee

Arcane
How do people feel about multiples of the same class being allowed in the party?
Some RPGs, I can see it, because each class has a lot of build variety so you can have e.g self-buff Cleric warrior or support Cleric etc...

This game, I don't really see the point.

Suicidal

Arcane
Well I have 2 clerics in my party each with different party buffs maxed out and the double heals work very well + having 2 holy rays is handy in the late game with the abundance of undead and demon encounters. My party sucked a gigantic black cock at the start of the game but now reks most shit up quite easily.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That is not a party, that's a joke.

Seriously, this is not a game where you can roflstomp encounters (especially early on) with any kind of party. And some combinations just won't ever work. Like yours, probably. Especially non-casters are pretty bad until lvl 8-10, I would say.
This game's classes are not well balanced, and I love it for that. You must balance your party. Screw that everything must be equally valuable mantra...
My party (and combat order) is this:
____, barbarian, bard, thief
____, Gaulen, cleric, divine summoner

The basic strategy is to have the divine summoner summon something (depending on situation, ofc , I have 3 main ranged summons), let the bard cast courage, then move Gaulen to the front line. Loses one Gaulen turn, but who cares.
Works like a charm and with Mr. Pope Amole's character guide, you won't make too many mistakes.

Basically, this is a game where you need to read guides before you even start playing, or you will very likely end up very frustrated. You probably thought that all the classes except paladin, barbarian and soldier are not frontline material. Which is understandable, as all other games pretty much teach that. It is wrong in this game, however, as pretty much every class (except mage and divine summoner, I guess) could be placed in the front row.
For example, by now (lvl 17) my bard has more HP than Gaulen.

Last edited:
need some spoilerish help

Where is Yoel the explorer? ... cleared Kagara...but still can't seem to find him :(

My party (and combat order) is this:
____, barbarian, bard, thief
____, Gaulen, cleric, divine summoner

The basic strategy is to have the divine summoner summon something (depending on situation, ofc , I have 3 main ranged summons), let the bard cast courage, then move Gaulen to the front line. Loses one Gaulen turn, but who cares.

The party which I finally went with is:
___,Soldier,Palaldin,Gaulen
___,mage,bard,cleric

strategy for difficult fights is: Palladin's Aura of protection/bards Song of Courage ASAP. cleric's e;emental/organic protection if required. Then mage uses shocking touch/ lightning to stun, Soldier/pally use strong strike on stunned faggots and Gaulen uses his envenomed strike to stack DoTs. And cleric is on healing duty. Currently lv21 and my bard does have more hp than my pally :|

Works like a charm and with Mr. Pope Amole's character guide, you won't make too many mistakes.
Where exactly is Pope Amole II 's guide? I came to this strategy after restarting 2 times around level 15ish :rage: .

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
That's an extremely gear-dependant party. These guys will need cutting-edge weapons (damage-oriented swords or axes preferably; try to hit a comfortable balance between 2h and 1h+enchanted shield). Support Paladin is also a bit like an Arcane Soldier, he wants all 5 stats but can afford to let Strength fall behind a bit in favor of more hit chance/utility. Also, Scrolls of Bard Songs will help this party a lot (look for anything that adds Attack Rating or Action Modifier).

Barbarians are... well, a bit passive (although they become unstoppable soon enough). Would've liked to add abilities that cost HP to cast but that would've required additional programming/debugging and by then the workload just couldn't bear it +M

Yep, i got most of my men with axes and swords with what i think a fair balance of 2h and 1h+shield ratio, and ive put some points in speed for everyone, and everyone except my cleric who is in the backline with a pretty good staff that stuns.

the thing i have problems with is the constant gold drain, sure shopping and food ok, but to have to pay my way into town every time is a drag, specially when i mostly manage to scrape together prob 400-600 gold after some encounters/loot at this stage ingame, and first loose 100 gold right at the gate, which could have gone to buying food instead, which is also very high priced (is there a food rationing going on?) along with all those potions to take away nausea (which strangely enough doesnt go away after sleeping?), and on top of that i get that cursed dog thing right up your butt in what i thought was a "safeish" zone from such boss battles (i had just passed the sign into Sporia woods after beating every standing monster in it, except those big shrooms, to get the last chest) just when things looked like they where going the right way, that also drained an already almost dry goldbag.

i dunno, maybe im just getting too old.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Where exactly is Pope Amole II 's guide? I came to this strategy after restarting 2 times around level 15ish .

I always post my guides in the Steam Guide sections.

And yeah, Bard is one of the best (if not the best) tanking classes in the game, actually. He has a caster's buildup (meaning he can allow to go CON & SPD only), he has hybrid HP gain (so he also has 3 natural hp per level), he's very skill-rich (if you don't buy redundant songs - instead you can invest that into armor and/or Fast Reflexes) and he can go sword & board without hurting himself (because his melee is crap anyways and he shouldn't even bother spending points there).

cw8

Cipher

No mage? Your game's just gonna get more and more annoying. Having a bee problem and the damned melee can't hit them? A Mage AE will take care of it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
the thing i have problems with is the constant gold drain, sure shopping and food ok, but to have to pay my way into town every time is a drag, specially when i mostly manage to scrape together prob 400-600 gold after some encounters/loot at this stage ingame, and first loose 100 gold right at the gate, which could have gone to buying food instead, which is also very high priced (is there a food rationing going on?) along with all those potions to take away nausea (which strangely enough doesnt go away after sleeping?), and on top of that i get that cursed dog thing right up your butt in what i thought was a "safeish" zone from such boss battles (i had just passed the sign into Sporia woods after beating every standing monster in it, except those big shrooms, to get the last chest) just when things looked like they where going the right way, that also drained an already almost dry goldbag.

I think that explains a lot.
I remember paying the toll 2 or 3 times before I was strong enough (must've been lvl3 or 4 by then) to kill those greedy bastards.
Oh, and never spend money to heal nausea that early in the game. It just lowers your resistances. Resistances really don't matter that early in the game. Almost all attacks are physical (orcs, bats, rats, soldiers, ...).
Except the fungi, but those will annihilate you with or without resistances if you fight them before being level 8 or 9.
I remember that all my frontline characters were sick at that time, but it did not matter.

Also, I did not put a single point into cleric's defensive spells. Simply because they just do not seem necessary. But maybe that is only on normal difficulty.

cw8

Cipher
Also, I did not put a single point into cleric's defensive spells. Simply because they just do not seem necessary. But maybe that is only on normal difficulty.

Mass Divine Armour I use for nearly almost every fight now and the magical/elemental buffs seem very useful for certain enemies especially the witches.

Rpgsaurus Rex

edit: figured it out

Game is hard, huh. Don't get discouraged if you get owned early, that's OK. It's that kind of game. It gets a lot easier if you pump the right skills, though
SPOILERS!
up speed every level and max out learning ASAP

So far it looks like it's gonna be up there in my 'holy trinity of good newgen RPGs', along with Expeditions and SR: Dragonfall. Something to make me feel that good 'I'm playing a motherfucking RPG' feel again and blow away the vapors of that turd that was WL2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luzur

Good Sir
the thing i have problems with is the constant gold drain, sure shopping and food ok, but to have to pay my way into town every time is a drag

Why pay them? I say fuck those losers and show them who's boss. ;)

i tried, party got beaten badly after i barely got one guard down to maybe half HP....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom