Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
By the way, 2 more questions:
1. Do torches have any use besides visual? Like, any debuff you get if you fight in unlit areas?

2. Do knocked-out characters gain XP?

Renegen

Arcane
Dumping points into accurate strike also seemed like a good idea, until you realize all those skill points earned you a +1% accuracy increase. Same thing for daggers, you get what, a 20-30 attack rating increase? That's nothing, the whole distribution tables are screwed up. The vast majority of the game you'll be in 70s territory and there is no way out.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
But it's a fact that this game has encounters that swing from "win easily" to "get your ass kicked" only based on rolls.
Agree, and it's a fact that there are ways to influence and even eliminate the chances of facing the worst possible scenarios.

You're moving the goal posts. My only point was that no matter what you do and how you prepare, you will have fights that can go very wrong or very well, depending on the RNG's mood.

Again, not saying I give much of a fuck, I kindda like it in fact. I'm just saying that these situations do happen.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just bought this on STEAM and played around for a little bit. This is great! This is exactly the kind of stuff I love to play. There goes my weekends.... :salute:

Sephy88

Literate
Hi guys!

So after Wasteland 2 and mi precious experience with the game, now i have some "rpg hype" in my veins and i thought this could be a good game to continue with

How is it in general terms? is it good?

It's from an Spanish studio, i'm Spanish and i would like to buy it to help the spanish videogame industry (so much talent wasted "thanks" to our government policies).

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
By the way, 2 more questions:
1. Do torches have any use besides visual? Like, any debuff you get if you fight in unlit areas?
If you don't already wear glasses IRL, they will help preserve your eyesight in some of the darker dungeons :P

2. Do knocked-out characters gain XP?
Based on how long that character has managed to participate in the fight, for the sake of authenticity and a bit of added tactical play (you usually want to avoid letting a party member fall, though). If you want the most XP reward possible you can move a wounded character in a less 'contested' spot. If you're low on gold, it might be best to just forfeit a bit of XP and pull that character out of the battle, instead.

Dumping points into accurate strike also seemed like a good idea, until you realize all those skill points earned you a +1% accuracy increase.
Agree that it doesn't always fulfill its expected purpose; one idea thrown around was to code a +3%-5% total hit chance on top of attack rating benefits.

Accurate Strike ends up being a jack-of-all-trades skill. It can actually shine if you're using a weapon with 2 secondary effects (e.g. Stun + Wound), since Attack Rating amplifies any effect present on the weapon. Feel free to experiment, it's quite possible the investment will pay off at some point.

Just bought this on STEAM and played around for a little bit. This is great! This is exactly the kind of stuff I love to play. There goes my weekends.... :salute:
Glad you like, man :) What do you think of the soundtrack so far?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thanks for the answers!

And Sephy88 , definitely go for it. A classic-styled RPG through and through, nice combat, exploration, comfy music... You can't go wrong

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Bit of crossposting from my own thread, but I've already dissected the game well enough to make a huge-ass steam guide about it. There will be also an equally sized video tomorrow. So if you want to understand why your party sucks and is the most horrible ever, lol, you're welcome.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
...review it for the Codex.

I've already promised to do 2 reviews for the codex and haven't done nothing. Dunno, I used to do lots of reviews in my youth (for anime-fan sites, lol) and I'm kinda burnt out on this stuff, I suppose. Too much disconnection with the readers, I think. Because, the think is, I can say "fuck it" and review the game, but the Codex won't like what I'll say.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
this game really needs a way to reload when you fail to run away... watching 10 weapon master's take turns without being able to do anything is real dumb

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

I'm a composer and I actually really like this soundtrack. It's NOT OMG OVER TEH TOP EPIC crap. It's beautiful, subtle and fitting. Give a :salute: to the composer from me. And if he has a Soundcloud account, let me know. I'd love to follow him.

So I found my first trapped chest (OUCH). D: Is there some way of detecting/disarming them?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I'm a composer and I actually really like this soundtrack. It's NOT OMG OVER TEH TOP EPIC crap. It's beautiful, subtle and fitting. Give a :salute: to the composer from me. And if he has a Soundcloud account, let me know. I'd love to follow him.

So I found my first trapped chest (OUCH). D: Is there some way of detecting/disarming them?

Perception detects them. Disarm disarms them.

Explorer can learn both (Perception at low cost, Disarm at high). Thief can learn lockpicking and disarm at just 1 point per level of skill.

EDIT: the mini games required to pick locks and disarm traps are p. cool and non-intrusive

EDIT2: just hit me or felipe up on steam if you got questions Jaesun :)

Last edited:

AbounI

Colonist
Patron

For you Jaesun:
Nicolas De Ferran, aka Sowatt, is a jazz pianist.Composer for short-movies, theater, eventually anime and TV and of course video games. He also teach personnal lessons.

http://www.rpgfrance.com/taverne-topic-8374-3-le-topic-des-musicos#post74

Je suis musicien aussi, c'est mon métier et mes études. Je suis pianiste de jazz et compositeur/arrangeur/orchestrateur. Je bosse pour des pièces de théâtre et des court-métrages et je suis prof de piano à domicile. Voilà :D
Here is his soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/nicolas-de-ferran

Actually he's also working for another project.Like Eminence Xander's Tale, a MMO trading cards game, or Sylfria Chronicles, a french cRPG project.However, we don't have any news from this last project.It seems there was a plan for a crowdfunding campaign for this greenlighted project :salute:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So If I am remembering correctly, this is a resource heavy cRPG, as in you WILL have to buy magic potions and other things, as they are not going to have huge quantities of these resources scattered all over?

And made it to Level 2, and completely cleared out that rat cave. Armor is really fucking heavy which is annoying (at such low levels). Where the hell is the leather armor shop? :/

cw8

Cipher
Must be early game issue, my Arcane Soldier was the most powerful of the party, his bleed attack + bleed blade would destroy most enemies.

The mage is actually the most powerful and will do the most dmg in your party. They will get new spells all the time including the staple AE ones and the epic spells endgame. The melee classes are left with their special attacks and get nothing new from early midgame onwards. Arcane Soldier eventually gets some of the spells that the mages have but by then your mage will be rocking powerful. The melee classes are good for their dots, provided they hit the enemy. Just wait for the bleed and venom dots to kill the tougher enemies while your mage destroys everything else. Spam wounds to weaken tough single enemies or bosses.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I did the Golden Forest and I still have no idea what the pattern is supposed to be - just brute force and intuition led me through.

Renevent

Cipher
I think it's:

Not touching or walking over the flowers

At least that worked for me :D

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
this game really needs a way to reload when you fail to run away... watching 10 weapon master's take turns without being able to do anything is real dumb

The problem that leads to reloads is that every single enemy gets initiative when you fail to run. If I want to run but am forced to fight anyways that is penalty enough for failure.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Pope, I am curious... if you really don't like the game how is it that you spend so much time on it and write guides and make videos that basically say the game is unbalanced, boring shit?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom