Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

jdinatale

Cipher
Hey, is there anyway to store items? My party has become over encumbered way too quickly, and everything in my inventory is too valuable to my party to sell.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A bit of overencumbrance is not that big of a deal, since it only raises your food consumption by a small margin (A single overencumbered char is a big deal, tho). Spend a few points in constitution for your front row if you find yourself having difficulties.

jdinatale

Cipher
Will it come back to haunt me if I kill the initial guards? I hear that makes the other guards think you are a traitor, and that I might get stuck because I can't beat the new guards...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Will it come back to haunt me if I kill the initial guards? I hear that makes the other guards think you are a traitor, and that I might get stuck because I can't beat the new guards...

Nope. Kill one of the guards at the gate, then avoid the other guards until you can fight them. The 3 guards in the first city you should be able to take on (after a few levels, blessings and maybe some potions). The other ones are a tad bit more difficult (like the ones blocking the road).

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
why would it? In the worst case (that being you beat the first guards, are broke, heavily wounded and need to exit the town through another gate) you still can grind cereal plants to sleep, get buffs and kick the other guard's ass. The other town guards won't get stronger,
the guards to nabros will need to be killed anyways later
Kicking the guards' butt after being bullied by them so often is one of the most rewarding experiences this game has to offer :)

set

Cipher
The sooner you beat the guards the sooner you get to keep your gold. And gold is a precious commodity on the hardest difficulty.

Commander Retard

Literate
I need your advice guys.

Can't really force myself to keep playing. Got stuck in some kind of demon infested ruins (east on the world map) where shit started to get so incredibly grindy that it's simply not enjoyable anymore. I can deal with most of the encounters no problem and my party feels really OP (stacking wounds FTW). Even retardo, lawful stupid Gaulen feels somewhat powerful now (wielding 2h axe with maxed out axe skill). Playing on the old-school vet difficulty.

Now I know there is some

plot twist or whatever, judging from the conversations with the witches and overall feeling

but is it worth it? Should I keep playing? Is it going to be as boring (gameplay-wise) as it is now?

jdinatale

Cipher
Hey guys, I don't want to gimp my party later on, but to clarify, should I:

-1 speed every level, then 1 Const/STR/Agility for physical attackers, and 1 Energy for wizard and cleric?

Also, what skills should I be taking for Arcane Knight, Gaulen, the Wizard, and cleric? Is mercantile worth it?

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Steam has a guide on party progression. The interesting part is that casters should take CON on level ups, so CON/SPD. They get enough PP on level up.
Fighters take STR/SPD, raise AGI with equips and herbs, but also with rare level ups. That's what i am doing now.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Apparently increasing energy is a waste as high level spells cost so much power points you will need to use potions. All the extra energy will only allow you to cast one more time before needing the potions. So it's best to keep your casters alive with hit points rather the having them die often but have slightly better offense.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I did the CON/SPEED on all my level ups for my caster. It worked very well. Though if I ever played again, what I more than likely would do again, is maybe every other level raise CON/SPEED and then MAGIC/SPEED.

roshan

Arcane
Hey guys, I don't want to gimp my party later on, but to clarify, should I:

-1 speed every level, then 1 Const/STR/Agility for physical attackers, and 1 Energy for wizard and cleric?

Also, what skills should I be taking for Arcane Knight, Gaulen, the Wizard, and cleric? Is mercantile worth it?

The constitution isn't needed. I went with STR all the way for the melee guys - I'm not so sure how useful agility is? Mercantile is AWESOME because when you max it out, you buy and sell at almost the same price, so you end up just "borrowing" items from the shops.

roshan

Arcane
Steam has a guide on party progression. The interesting part is that casters should take CON on level ups, so CON/SPD. They get enough PP on level up.
Fighters take STR/SPD, raise AGI with equips and herbs, but also with rare level ups. That's what i am doing now.

I think CON for casters is almost unnecessary. I gave my casters con boosts from the wells (basically I boosted whoever had the lowest HP, but with priority for the front liners) and they ended up having about as much HP as my front line tanks. Better focus on energy instead.....

cw8

Cipher
My casters took the CON buffs from the barrel vials and herbs and an occasional point in CON. Most of the points went to Energy and Speed. Allowed me to cast the big spells quite frequently.

roshan

Arcane
Apparently increasing energy is a waste as high level spells cost so much power points you will need to use potions. All the extra energy will only allow you to cast one more time before needing the potions. So it's best to keep your casters alive with hit points rather the having them die often but have slightly better offense.

Don't rely on that guide, a lot of the stuff there is just one person's style/opinions, it is by no means the best or only way to build your characters and some of the stuff is flat out stupid, and frankly the advice on con for casters is one of the stupidest things on that guide.

I only played with the cleric, but..... Most of the cleric's high level spells are game changers and single castings are enough to turn battles around. High HP is practically useless because high level healing and regeneration spells are really powerful and will be what keeps your party alive, not bloated base HP. A maxed out mass regeneration heals your party members 60 HP per turn, and if we assume it lasts each character 20 turns (I am totally guessing here, I don't have any idea how long it lasts, depends on the character's speed) your cleric is trading 120 pp for 7200 HP across the party. So PP or HP? Choice is quite obvious.

Quaffing potions is totally a waste of a turn and it's better for your cleric to spend that turn mass regenerating or mass healing the party, or divine healing someone on the verge of death. Level 3 divine healing trades you 68 pp for 300-500 HP (I never increased beyond this since it's basically a full heal already), level 5 mass heal trades you 80 pp for up to 900 hp across the party.

PP is also a much more rare and valuable resource. Consider that a point of energy only gives you 2 pp whereas a point in con gives you 4 hp. Or that equivalent potions of the same level give half as much pp.

TLDR: HP is cheap. PP is valuable and should be hoarded. PP can be converted into huge amounts of HP through spells whereas HP cannot be converted into PP. Quaffing PP potions wastes turns which could be used for healing HP instead. Guide is stupid, don't believe.

me the last 4-5 days...

Vo0Kxch.jpg

equal parts :negative: and :smug:

set

Cipher
I have been doing a balanced stat distribution. Melee/Bow get equal measure of STR/AGI/CON/SPE while my Paladin is the most spread out with even distribution in STR/AGI/CON/SPE/EN and my mage is SPE/EN heavy with a little CON investment. My mage can do about 3 battles before going dry, requiring a rest, but by then you have no HP left anyway. Also, I'm doing a priestless run, which is probably gimped.

I wish Gaulen could be any class plus have the explorer benefit, would be interesting....

It does seem like speed is the most important stat, with agi perhaps being the weakest - I only get it because I seem to notice low AGI affecting hit rate in an annoying way.

With my first party I tried doing a rogue that was purely SPE/AGI investments and while the rogue was crazy good at avoiding stuff and had 100% hit rate all the time, basically you do no damage and can't take any hits you fail to dodge. Terrible idea.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

It is around 2,2 pp per lvl for mages. Is it enough?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...n-epic-story-of-gods-and-humans/posts/1108217

Lords of Xulima - Available on GOG.com

Greetings!
0e78f597bf0ff0ac380175befd403e32_large.jpg

Finally, the DRM-free version of Lords of Xulima is available on GOG.com. You can visit theGOG store here. Please share it with your friends!

All the backers that prefer the GOG version over the Steam one, please send us an email to info@numantiangames.com from your Kickstarter email address. We will send you a GOG key in a few days.

Linux Version
57c25deac5c23e6bb0e5fe0fdbd41670_large.png

We are starting the testing of the Linux version of Lords of Xulima. All that want to participate in the test process, please send us an email to info@numantiangames.com. We will use the Steam platform for the testing. And when finished, we will launch it on Steam and GOG at the same time.

Physical Rewards
Apologies to all the backer because of the long delay of the physical rewards. We have waited to have the GOG DRM-free version to include the same standalone installer in the DVDs. As all backers who purchased the physical editions already have a Steam Key, those backers will get both versions. We expect to start the production next week, and start the shipments in about 10 days. We will inform you with the progress.

And that's all for the moment, see you soon!

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
It is around 2,2 pp per lvl for mages. Is it enough?

Don't rely on that guide, a lot of the stuff there is just one person's style/opinions, it is by no means the best or only way to build your characters and some of the stuff is flat out stupid, and frankly the advice on con for casters is one of the stupidest things on that guide.
TLDR: HP is cheap. PP is valuable and should be hoarded. PP can be converted into huge amounts of HP through spells whereas HP cannot be converted into PP. Quaffing PP potions wastes turns which could be used for healing HP instead. Guide is stupid, don't believe.
But it seem to make sense - i mean 40lvl = 80pp? Ist it worth it if later casts are like 100-200pp ? 160HP seems nice. As far as i understand, enemies will shoot back row anyway - thus, the casters must survive the heavy hits?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom