Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

set

Cipher
Hey I'm looking to start this game, do I have to carefully pre-plan and carefully level my party, or can I just have fun with it while still being to complete the game?

If you play on the hardest difficulty, I would say a rogue is MANDATORY. You NEED Shuriken to beat certain bosses. They do ridiculous bleed damage, which is often the only way to deal with Beholders or high HP bosses. Berserkers are really minmaxy, with great defense and offense with no real active skills, making them ideal tanks and wound-inflicters.

Soldiers have great damage output, you can't go wrong with at least one. They do well with just about any weapon.

Gaulen sucks shit. Maybe he'll get better but I'm level 15 so far and he's still pretty shit. I use him as a tank at this point.

You want at least one mage, I think. I tried a few parties without one and while you can manage I think mages are really strong.

Paladins are okay. But I think a priest would do better. Paladin manacosts are too high for someone who's supposed to cast spells and tank or do damage. Auras force you to sit in the middle of the party, leaving you vulnerable - and they're not passive auras either, so eh.

Bards are pretty good, but give them a bow. Don't use a dagger unless you're forced to.

set

Cipher
Not at all. Neither on Win 7 nor on Win 8. Actually the game runs pretty stable on my systems and besides the broken steam achievements I haven't encountered any bugs so far.

Okay. I haven't had any crashes, but I have had two BSODs in the 20 hours I've played the game. It's just a little concerning.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bards are pretty good, but give them a bow. Don't use a dagger unless you're forced to.
How comes you think they are good? My bard's sort of a lackluster. Contributes some wound stacks here and there but otherwise his songs don't feel like they are making a difference. I maxed song of stunnig in the hope to be able to deal with those fuckin bees since I dont have a mage to aoe them. Didn't work out. Party buffs suck, too.

jdinatale

Cipher
Okay, I think I finished the first rat dungeon, but I don't think I got my bonus for clearing it out. Is it suppose to indicate that to me? I could not find any random encounters.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
How comes you think they are good? My bard's sort of a lackluster. Contributes some wound stacks here and there but otherwise his songs don't feel like they are making a difference. I maxed song of stunnig in the hope to be able to deal with those fuckin bees since I dont have a mage to aoe them. Didn't work out. Party buffs suck, too.

Courage/stun works pretty good for me.

Okay, I think I finished the first rat dungeon, but I don't think I got my bonus for clearing it out. Is it suppose to indicate that to me? I could not find any random encounters.

Don't think you get a notification for clearing the rat dungeon, you should get one for clearing the mushroom forest though.

jdinatale

Cipher
Courage/stun works pretty good for me.

Don't think you get a notification for clearing the rat dungeon, you should get one for clearing the mushroom forest though.

Are you sure? When I entered the dungeon, it told me about random encounters and how I would get a bonus for clearing it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

You need to clear everything in that dungeon. Even the Boss in there.

*IF* you cleared all the encounters AND all the random encounters you will get a message.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Gaulen is extremely useless, just let him use your scrolls. Paladin has also been pretty useless so far.

I took Paladin so to cast his aura. Well it still not that good, even with bard +evasion buff and +evasion stack front row you will still be hit a lot. I advise dont take Paladin.

cw8

Cipher
Gaulen is extremely useless, just let him use your scrolls. Paladin has also been pretty useless so far.

Gaulen is good for his venom strike, max out ASAP together with his terrain travelling bonuses. Venom Strike eventually becomes shit endgame because the dot doesn't do enough dmg.

Black

Arcane
Damn, shurikens are pretty fucking good for have cheap and plentiful they are. Huge damage + bleed, I guess that sort of balances out how trash daggers are tho.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
If you play on the hardest difficulty, I would say a rogue is MANDATORY. You NEED Shuriken to beat certain bosses. They do ridiculous bleed damage, which is often the only way to deal with Beholders or high HP bosses. Berserkers are really minmaxy, with great defense and offense with no real active skills, making them ideal tanks and wound-inflicters.

Soldiers have great damage output, you can't go wrong with at least one. They do well with just about any weapon.

Gaulen sucks shit. Maybe he'll get better but I'm level 15 so far and he's still pretty shit. I use him as a tank at this point.

You want at least one mage, I think. I tried a few parties without one and while you can manage I think mages are really strong.

Paladins are okay. But I think a priest would do better. Paladin manacosts are too high for someone who's supposed to cast spells and tank or do damage. Auras force you to sit in the middle of the party, leaving you vulnerable - and they're not passive auras either, so eh.

I tend to ignore such posts because they start long discussion (too long discussion) but for new players:

You dont need shurikens for rogue. You dont need bleed to kill bosses. Only time some bleed was useful is for beholders due to game mechanic.

You certainly dont need shurikens for hardcore difficulty.

Barb is best melee DPS class due to highest crit chance.

Gaulen is good DPS if you have rogue in party (who takes trap fighting and lockpicking), if you want Gaulen to dps make him archer though and put in back row so you can stack Str and some Agi and only focus on Con at later part of game.

Strongest party probably dont have any mages. Long story short, spell costs are too high for mages.

Paladin is buffer for aura of defence (this takes most of energy), but you really dont need it. I had paladin in final walthrough, was useless.

Bard are bow users (same as Gaulen if you want him to dps) this is true. But songs are not needed much (or not useless much), Song is courage is OK. Song of victory comes when you have no problem with mobs (in late game) so you dont need it much.

Best party probably: thief (sword), barb (axe), barb (axe) + cleric, gaulen archer, bard archer. You can replace bard with DS or mage, wont matter much.

Villagkouras

Arcane
I am in early game (too bad I started after voting ended) and now the Learning skill is unlocked.

Is it any good to invest some points in it?

Black

Arcane
Is learning really awesome? I didn't take it, seemed like a waste of points (3 and 2 later).

V_K

Arcane
Learning is basically trading skill points (you loose more of them than you gain on the extra levels in the long run) for stat points and level upgrades.
The only class that doesn't benefit from this trade all that much is the summoner, since he needs every skillpoint he can get and sucks in direct combat anyway.

set

Cipher
I'm investing in learning because it's supposedly a 100 hour game and by the time you start getting to learning you've only beaten the first prince. It seems like a decent investment - if there's no level cap anyway. If you can get to 10% increased XP by level 20 I imagine that will mean 10 extra levels somewhere towards the end of the game, for about 10 or 12 skill points or something. Worst case I think is you're spending skill points to buy bonus attribute points.

jdinatale

Cipher
You need to clear everything in that dungeon. Even the Boss in there.

*IF* you cleared all the encounters AND all the random encounters you will get a message.

That's the thing, I beat every enemy I saw, and I never got any random encounters. Are the firefly looking things random encounters?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's the thing, I beat every enemy I saw, and I never got any random encounters. Are the firefly looking things random encounters?
No, they aren't. You can tell whether there are random encounters left in this area by looking at that orb thingy directly over your minimap. It's glowing yellow if there are random mobs around and pale rose if you cleared every random encounter. Then you still need to dispatch every stationary monster in the cave. Contrary to what His Majesty said, you WILL get a popup notification that you cleared the rat dungeon when you cleared random and stationary encounters.
If you did both and still don't receive confirmation, I revoke my previous statement: That seems to be bugged.

roshan

Arcane
Hey I'm looking to start this game, do I have to carefully pre-plan and carefully level my party, or can I just have fun with it while still being to complete the game?

Just make sure you have a rogue and a cleric. The other 3 slots you can pick whatever :)

roshan

Arcane
pick a cleric and youll be perfectly fine. The priestess' speed buff is incredibly useful on the early stages. Level up speed as often as possible on everyone. Don't be afraid to use scrolls in battle, especially if you don't have a bard/mage.
Oh and if you pick arcane soldier, you shouldn't put more than one point in freezing /flaming strike.
Other than that, I don't see how you could possibly screw up your party, after the first tower it becomes very forgiving.

oh and don't even try to make Gaulen on par in combat with everyone else. Before he gets his poisoned strike, he won't be any useful in fights. Better spend points in herbalism, knowledge of terrain, hunting... and also locks/traps if you dont have a thief/bard.
Btw I found identification skill and value estimation skill incredibly useless, don't even bother.

You only really need one point in hunting. Exploration is also not so useful but if you find books that boost it, you might as well put in one point so that you can consume the books.

The learning skill is basically useless too, and a huge drain on skillpoints better spent somewhere else. I think the guide that recommended maxing learning probably screwed up the math somewhere. I had characters with radically different learning levels, but at the end game they were at the most two levels apart of each other.

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well here is a chart for your consumption.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...yrxHrrwacO6th5Kx18qZfRTpas/htmlview?sle=true#

As you could see, it matters 4-5 levels at level 30 which is significant. I've found it was significantly easier to dispatch
the princes' wilderness troops with a party with learning taken every character level.it also follows the world progression
better.you may have been under leveled otherwise.
Also most of the classes need a staple set of skills that need to be increased anyway. you can get the others up leisurely later on.
Barbarian suffers the most because of the awesome rage skill costing 3 points..others are manageable.

roshan

Arcane
Well here is a chart for your consumption.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...yrxHrrwacO6th5Kx18qZfRTpas/htmlview?sle=true#

As you could see, it matters 4-5 levels at level 30 which is significant. I've found it was significantly easier to dispatch
the princes' wilderness troops with a party with learning taken every character level.it also follows the world progression
better.you may have been under leveled otherwise.
Also most of the classes need a staple set of skills that need to be increased anyway. you can get the others up leisurely later on.
Barbarian suffers the most because of the awesome rage skill costing 3 points..others are manageable.

Why would you want to screw up your enjoyment of the game purchasing a semi-useless skill when you could be boosting other much more *interesting* things? Towards the end of the game you are swimming in level ups anyway. If you look at the table the amount of XP needed to level up increases very slowly over levels, towards the end of the game level ups are so common it actually becomes tedious to level your characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom