Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

roshan

Arcane

So are you complaining that a cleric is too important and that somehow the game should broadcast this to you, or are you claiming that a cleric really isn't necessary after all? I've found in my playthrough at least that it's virtually essential, but then again I don't have either the Paladin or Summoner so I don't know how well they can replace the cleric. YMMV.

The cleric gets elemental protections fairly late in the game, that is true. Together with the remove curse spell (early on you will have to rely on temples for curse removal).

And if you want to solve the instagib issue you should get the constitution blessing from the temple, it lasts a whole day and is significant at lower levels. You can also boost the low HP characters with +HP and +CON items from stores, and assign points to CON at level up. Come on dude - these things should be very obvious. Not enough HP? Find a way to increase it. Isn't this just basic logic? Do you really need documentation to tell you this?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So are you complaining that a cleric is too important and that somehow the game should broadcast this to you, or are you claiming that a cleric really isn't necessary after all?

No, you stupid shit, I am complaining that I have no idea whether the cleric really is too important or unnecessary because I can't check it myself anywhere in the fucking game, and the signals I'm getting here are mixed, which means it's a blind gamble resulting in either fucking yourself up for a bullshit unreasonable reason or not, aka idiotic shovelware design.

And if you want to solve the instagib issue you should get the constitution blessing from the temple, it lasts a whole day and is significant at lower levels.

So in other words, if you run into a roadblock, better run back and forth between a temple to get + max hp while wasting time, gold and rations. Brilliant design!

You can also boost the low HP characters with +HP and +CON items from stores, and assign points to CON at level up.

yes big bad wolf please wait a minute here while i pull a level up out of my ass and assign points to con

or maybe i should buy sum blessings blindly and hope they are useful later on... r00fles!

roshan

Arcane
No, you stupid shit, I am complaining that I have no idea whether the cleric really is too important or unnecessary because I can't check it myself anywhere in the fucking game, and the signals I'm getting here are mixed, which means it's a blind gamble resulting in either fucking yourself up for a bullshit unreasonable reason or not, aka idiotic shovelware design.

So in other words, if you run into a roadblock, better run back and forth between a temple to get + max hp while wasting time, gold and rations. Brilliant design!

yes big bad wolf please wait a minute here while i pull a level up out of my ass and assign points to con

or maybe i should buy sum blessings blindly and hope they are useful later on... r00fles!

So you don't want to prebuff your characters, you don't want to die in combat, you don't want to experiment and figure out what party works well for your playstyle, you don't want to run into roadblocks (even though they really aren't roadblocks - you just need to figure out a way to get past them - which you do not want to do) - seems like you are looking for a casual game with no failure state. Can I suggest you play Pillars of Shitternity instead? That at least has health regeneration and an autoresurrection meter, and everything is BALANCED! and both idiot proof and fun proof, should be a match made in heaven.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well the manual being shit is true. It's just the same stuff that gets told to you in popups when you start the game right? Don't think adding an appendix with the skills and spells listed would've been that hard.

This document is the real manual:Lords of Xulima - Skillsheet by Kordanor

Self-Ejected

Yuri Gagarin

Self-Ejected
Is there a way to pre-buff in this game? I have some scrolls of Courage that I would like to use before a battle, but I can't (for example, when fighting those annoying shaman orcs that beated the shit out of me in the first levels)? I can go to a priest and pay 45 - 65 quids for a blessing, but I would like to use my own scrolls or magic whenever I want.

Also, I agree about the lack of documentation and the weird way that the spells/summons are presented. I know that experimenting is part of the fun, but I would like to know what exactly does each summon, specially when you are in the middle of a battle with those poison-spamming fungus and the summon that you called, doesn't do anything in the middle of the battle, because is the one that converts energy of the fallen enemies in money that you get when (or if) you win.

One more thing. I really hate those buttonless, browser-like interfaces that are used in the dialogs. I'm always looking for the Yes/No button, but you select automatically the option when you click it. I can't get used to it. Also, it's just me or the pop-ups take a lot to appear when you hover the pointer over something you want to read.

Suicidal

Arcane
Finally finished it myself after all the breaks and pauses. 118 hours over the course of 3 months, but a fair % of that time was probably me leaving the game running while playing some multiplayer shit with friends. What's funny was that my soldier died at the very begging of the last boss fight (he moved 3 times before my party) so I had to fight him with 5 people. I kinda liked the ending although it was obvious that some shit like that was going to happen from all the foreshadowing (also it could probably have been avoided if the Heralds told Gaulen what was actually going on instead of speaking in cryptic riddles and expecting him to understand). If there's going to be a continuation in the same vein I'll be all over that :takemyjewgold:

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
My understanding is this is a trilogy. They seem to have been queit lately but if/when they announce Part 2:

:takemymoney:

Well the ending definitely had that "to be continued" vibe so I won't be surprised if they do continue, and then: :takemyjewgold::takemymoney:

valcik

Arcane
Count me in, I'm going to kick
Golot's arse for sure!

Last edited:

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Am i too casual for this game? I started with a balanced party. Any fight i can find on the roads can quite fuck my HP up. I can spend the already tight cash on some equipment, but as far as i understand, guards want 100 gold bribe each several days to let me in? Also skills cost gold, right? First mission sends me into the cave, where everything is "dangerous" and from the look of it, my party will be severely beaten after each fight.

I mean, i cannot level up and then actually use some strategy/options - Lvl1 is just hitting with everyone and heal a bit / do some magical damage.

Is there something i am missing or should i aim to rest 8 hours after each fight at the begining?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They don't ask for the 100 each several days, I think it is more based off on how much you currently have(?)

And other than the FIRST time, you do have to pay them, why pay them again? I say fuck that shit..... (hint).

Self-Ejected

Yuri Gagarin

Self-Ejected
Am i too casual for this game? I started with a balanced party. Any fight i can find on the roads can quite fuck my HP up. I can spend the already tight cash on some equipment, but as far as i understand, guards want 100 gold bribe each several days to let me in?
You can kill the guards when your party is some levels stronger. Just be careful, because if you kill them, all the soldiers near the castle in the right part of the map will become hostile (past the soldier blocking the path, who, will also be hostile).

Also skills cost gold, right?
You can buy skill points with the dude in the starting town. But you also get skill points every time you level up. The bought points just get added to you points pool available the next time you level up.

First mission sends me into the cave, where everything is "dangerous" and from the look of it, my party will be severely beaten after each fight.
Yeah, those spiders are hard, and the undead enemy there is worse. Just level up a couple of times an buy some blessings from the sorceress in the shrine.

I mean, i cannot level up and then actually use some strategy/options - Lvl1 is just hitting with everyone and heal a bit / do some magical damage.
There's no much strategy to be honest. You just move your tanks to the front line, etc. Also, you can't pre-buff, the only way is to buy blessings.

Is there something i am missing or should i aim to rest 8 hours after each fight at the begining?
I had to do that the first three levels. After that, with some points in constitution, leveled-up summons and spells, and a good bow, things got a little bit easier.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
The most amateurish fan made mods ive found for nwn are more engaging than this game.
The character system isnt that bad i guess, and i dont really like the rations system, i think it was better implemented in exile.

Not gonna bother finishing it.

Self-Ejected

Yuri Gagarin

Self-Ejected
The most amateurish fan made mods ive found for nwn are more engaging than this game.
The character system isnt that bad i guess, and i dont really like the rations system, i think it was better implemented in exile.

Not gonna bother finishing it.
Yeah. The rations system is both idiotic and annoying. I had to do several returns to the town because my rations dwindled quite quickly.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can't remember the last RPG where potions and scrolls were not insta-sell junk but actually between very useful and absolutely mandatory. The first hours were really refreshing and really delivered old school vibe. Game gets somewhat mediocre and very repetitive tho. I just hit the swamp area and i have to admit I got mildly bored. Tell me guys, is it worth to keep playing, or have I seen the best part already? This Blackguards thingy in my Steam Library ooks very tempting. Ditch LoX?

Especially the puzzles (the goblin riddles and the Where's Waldo puzzles to open secret doors) are a huge disappointment. Would have been better if they hadn't bothered at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom