Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Shannow

Waster of Time
So you need 10 Tapinela for one persistent point of lighning-resist? Is this affected by the Herbal skill? Higher skill level --> better results/less resources used. Or is it simply digital? You have the skill/you don't have the skill.
How is it balanced? Eg. Is the amount of herbs you can find or your max resistance capped?
Will there be any backdraws of using this (eg Gold for alchemical equipment, loss of time etc.)?

I like the extensive tool-tips, though an in-game codex would also be cool. You need to be careful with tool-tips to make sure all information is shown no matter the resolution and no matter where the tool-tipped item is on-screen.

Of the portraits only 4 and 5 do not look like backers to me (well, if Sandra Bullock backed you that could be the 5...).

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
One thing im not overly fond of with different kickstarters is their backer portraits. Nerds dont make good warriors/mages. But the game looks good anyways, looking forward to it! :)

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
One thing im not overly fond of with different kickstarters is their backer portraits. Nerds dont make good warriors/mages. But the game looks good anyways, looking forward to it! :)
Didn't some older RPGs feature slightly modified developer mugs as portraits?

Weasel

Can't help wondering which one is our favourite prolific backer, Dawn_. I'm guessing top row, third from the left.

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So you need 10 Tapinela for one persistent point of lighning-resist?
Correct, though being the gameplay/mechanic junkie that I am, trying to see if this can be diversified a bit, e.g. every herbal dose would randomly grant 1 or 2 points instead of just 1. This also ties in with authenticity, since from a roleplaying standpoint not all the herbs you collect are of the same "quality", and thus this should be reflected in the potency of the brew/salve :P

Also, there are herbs for HP & PP, and +1 of either for 10 units just doesn't feel right (although that's more the domain of game balance, of which I am equally obsessed with).

Is this affected by the Herbal skill? Higher skill level --> better results/less resources used. Or is it simply digital? You have the skill/you don't have the skill.

'Knowledge of Herbs' serves to improve how many units of herbs you manage to collect each time you interact with them. Herbs are basically collectibles you find in the environment, sometimes they are more concealed or difficult to reach, other times they can be acquired by defeating flora-type creatures, such as the ancient treants known as "Odendro". On a rare occasion, if exceptionally skilled, an Explorer can discover Herbs that would've remained hidden otherwise.

So, example of the skill's core function (actual numbers are lower). At Knowledge of Herbs Lvl. One, you collect 1 unit from Herbs in the environment. With Lvl. Two, every unit you collect is multipled to 1.33 unit(s). This means that, as soon as you collect three Tapinela, you would then gain an additional Tapinela for a total of four. Lvl. Three is x1.66, Lvl. Four is x2, so on. This might seem a bit convoluted, but in reality skills in Lords of Xulima always work in the player's favor in a fairly intuitive manner. If 2 party members level Knowledge of Herbs separately, both skill totals will be computed to reward the player for investing those precious skill points. Same with other skills like Perception, Lockpicking and Mercantilism.

How is it balanced? Eg. Is the amount of herbs you can find or your max resistance capped?
The former. Everything is more or less finite in Lords of Xulima, which is really important to preserving meaningful exploration (and steering clear of certain typical design pitfalls). That does mean there is an insane amount of balancing to do for a 60+ hour non-linear game, but my 2 cents is that it is entirely worth it.

Will there be any backdraws of using this (eg Gold for alchemical equipment, loss of time etc.)
None planned, but I like where this is going, tons of possibilities there. While I know not everyone might agree with the following statement, this is more or less what Early Access is for. Adding and expanding on all these fun details/features which can bring a cool RPG to memorable status, thus giving the devs a chance to show that they do very much care about player experience.

I like the extensive tool-tips, though an in-game codex would also be cool. You need to be careful with tool-tips to make sure all information is shown no matter the resolution and no matter where the tool-tipped item is on-screen.
At the very least, you'll be able to alt-tab to the digital Game Guide or Bestiary & Mythology book, at one point or another (much sooner if you backed/pre-ordered or know someone who did). Tooltip display will hopefully remain accurate, however we're always grateful to receive feedback from players experiencing any compatibility issues. A lot of the software tools used to develop LoX are custom, which makes for edgy & efficient game development but also tends to require a lot of testing & QA.

Inquisition

Educated
Most important question: is it good fun? I see Lords of Xulima as a mix between Ultima VII, Might & Magic VI and Realms of Arcania. Is that about right?

Please convince me to throw moneyz at them.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I honestly doubt you're almost done with Original Sin... go co-op or make a mod, I'm still only 11 hours in, so I have a long way to go, it seems. ;)

I'll just say this: while there are some decisions I disagree or stand unsure at this point, I would like to praise how carefully designed Xulima feels. It's clearly a game made by people that played tons of different RPGs, know the pitfalls of some mechanics and how to avoid them.

belated

Augur
Was hoping to get my hands on this before I'm away next week, but time's running out...
Just more to look forward to for the week after that again, I guess!

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2

STEAM EARLY ACCESS COMING NEXT WEEK!

3a71125df72937ddc7c521be13df1fb5_large.jpg

The new cover!
Greetings!
It has been a long time since our last update. We expected to release the Steam Early Access version of Lords of Xulima one month ago, but we delayed it because we had to have a new epic trailer that LoX deserves. We have put a lot of effort into it, as it lasts 2:40. All of the music was composed specifically for the trailer, thanks to our great composer Nicolas de Ferran, which was complimented with the superb voice work of Josef Gagnier as the narrator.

The Steam Early Access version will be launched at the end of the next week. At that point, we will make another update to announce it.

Finally Lords of Xulima will be available for all Backers & Pre-Orders!
All backers and pre-orders will receive their own Steam key to activate the game next week! The early version included about 50-60% of the game (about 50 hours of gameplay time). In the next weeks we will unlock the rest of the content, and as promised, the new class "Divine Summoner" and the special artifact, the Talisman of Golot.

The game is now more polished and balanced than ever. As this release is the actual game, all of your saved games will be compatible with the final version. We expect to have the final version ready and officially launched sometime between September and October of this year.

MAC Users

We have addressed all of the issues related with the MAC compatibility, and now Lords of Xulima is fully playable on MAC. Even so, it won't be available on Steam for some time, because we still have to create the installer and then implement the Steam integration.

Thanks again for your support! We are very happy to finally give you the opportunity to enjoy the project you have helped us to create.

:bounce: Oh boy oh boy oh boy

Yeah, i suppose we'll have to wait a bit more, with EA and all.
However, i think they deserve to make more money. I think they got criminally overlooked here on the codex, as well as on Kickstarter.
The amount of money they raised was very low, compared to some of the "hip" titles.

Last edited:

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Moar screenshots from the Beta, this time a bit more about immersion:

Ruins of Devonia, one of the new Regions which will be opened with the upcoming launch on Steam:

JXGame_Designer_2014_02_17_09_31_23_74.jpg

Mausoleum of Queen Yandra. Mausoleums are optional dungeon which have to be unlocked by finding unique keys hidden in Xulima (or by having very high Lockpicking). Each of them present their own kinds of challenges, traps and interactive exploration.

mpc_hc64_2014_07_08_14_09_24_56.jpg

In hindsight, the 2nd screenshot would've looked a bit better with the UI shown, but I think it's a nice look into part of what makes dungeons interesting (aside from hunting treasure, facing tougher combat and all that).

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Alright Numantian Games guys, it's been like ten years since a game that I really, really wanted to play was announced and looked about to be delivered while keeping to its original promise. I've been through X-Com rape, Jagged Alliance desecration, Cleve's antics, Chaos Chronicles fiasco and other assorted disappointments. So, let me tell you this :

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for backing, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let the game out now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.
dyn002_original_480_324_jpeg__0c1b4d93e1a09e7f836b60ba657e68d3.jpg

Last edited:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Applypoison: Hmm, I backed this:
Digital copy of Lords of Xulima (also with a Steam Key if the game is launched on Steam) ● High resolution digital World Map with all of the regions of Xulima.
In your FAQs, you mention, you don't believe in DRM. Now all the talk is about STEAM :/
Any chance the full game will be available in a DRM-free version?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom