Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Lords of Xulima, Isometric Turn- and Party-based RPG Announced

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Finally, news worth reading. Great project, please carry on.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Combat interface is a matter of preference. Any kind of combat can be deep or shallow depending on the effort/talent that went into it. For all obvious upsides of strategic grid-based combat, I struggle to think of any CRPG other than Jagged Alliance that would have better combat than Wizardries 6-8, despite them being blob. In fact, games like Wizardry 8 or Labyrinth of Touhou (yeah, I know, japcrap) proves that making blob combat actually exciting is a definite possibility if you put at least some thought into coming up with interesting mechanics. (Especially if you make encounter design good, which unfortunately Wizardry 8 didn't always succeed in doing.)

Doesn't say anything about this particular game, of course. We'll see.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Derp. Wiz 6-8 combat is "better" because they have better systems than most contemporary RPGs. They would certainly benefit greatly if they were designed with combat grid in mind. Blob combat is inferior. Even something as basic as not being able to cast an AoE because your fighters are entangled with the enemies on melee already adds some tactical depth.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The blobber first person combat and third person exploration is actually what caught my interest with this. It's an unusual combination and I'm curious to see how it'll pan out. Until we see the mechanics in action there's no telling if it'll be deep and engaging or mashing the AWESOME BUTTAN™ at nauseam. Either is a possibility at the moment, so hopefully the developers will shed light on this in the kickstarter. The quality of writing is also up in the air at this moment as the developers by their own admission are not native speakers. This could either be the best thing evar or a horrible unplayable mess. There's no telling just yet. But either will be interesting to follow.

Since the developers have already posted in this thread, I should probably add that a list of the RPGCodex staffs favourite Doritos flavours is available upon request ;)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I agree that the "Ultimate Perfect RPG" would prabably have a isometric view & combat grid, but that doesn't mean that blobbbing is bad bro... as you said, what really matters is the system behind it, and stuff like FFX's combat queue already points in the right direction.

Since the developers have already posted in this thread, I should probably add that a list of the RPGCodex staffs favourite Doritos flavours is available upon request ;)
I think you mean "The Codex staff is ready to do an extensive interview, for the sake of our dear readers."

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Derp. Wiz 6-8 combat is "better" because they have better systems than most contemporary RPGs. They would certainly benefit greatly if they were designed with combat grid in mind. Blob combat is inferior.

So, how does that contradict what I said? It's all a matter of implementation. You can, of course, say that Wiz 8 would benefit from deep tactical turn-based combat, but that's like saying it would also benefit from better encounter design, better NPC design, better quest design, etc. I.e. stating the obvious.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Derp. Wiz 6-8 combat is "better" because they have better systems than most contemporary RPGs. They would certainly benefit greatly if they were designed with combat grid in mind. Blob combat is inferior.

So, how does that contradict what I said? It's all a matter of implementation. You can, of course, say that Wiz 8 would benefit from deep tactical turn-based combat, but that's like saying it would also benefit from better encounter design, better NPC design, better quest design, etc. I.e. stating the obvious.
You were saying as if blob vs grid is a matter of preference. It's as much a matter of preference as single character vs a party. Yeah, a single character game can have a lot more detail than a shitty party-based one, but it's clearly inferior design at the core.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The blobber first person combat and third person exploration is actually what caught my interest with this. It's an unusual combination

Final_Fantasy_Mystic_Quest_Box_Art.jpg

:troll:

Crooked Bee

Patron
I disagree that it is inferior design. It is only inferior from an imaginary "ideal" standpoint of a CRPG that will never exist. Realistically, if your system is good enough and you can think of fun mechanics that will make your combat both fast and engaging enough, you may as well go for blob combat. That's why Zomg, for example, said in the W2 thread that he prefers the original Wasteland combat, and his standpoint is perfectly valid, in my view. Feel free to disagree, of course - and of course, I will agree with you about the "ideal" CRPG, but I will only be willing to discuss "the best possible CRPG" if such a thing had any realistic chances at existing.

On a different note, something like Labyrinth of Touhou's party swapping mechanic would hardly work in a JA2-like game. You could adapt it for a JA2-like game, of course, but that would drastically change the mechanic itself as well as the dynamic of the combat. I'm pretty sure a really good designer should be able to come up with some great formulas for blob combat that would make it sufficiently deep and sufficiently distinct from top-down combat. Too bad the only people who make any experiments in RPG combat today - be it blob or top-down - are indie designers who have neither resources nor energy (nor, often, talent) to make something really great (sorry indies, I still like what you're doing).

Indranys

Savant
First person exploration and isometric turn based combat = Gold Box games, RoA series, and the other great CRPGs.
Isometric exploration and first person combat = Dragon Quest games, and the other :retarded: games.

Why do you guys use such a weird design??
Have no love for good old isometric turn based combat??
Chaos Chronicles is doing it right IMO.

Wasteland 2
Pretty, but blob combat... meh. What is the point of this shit ? It has less depth and only makes enemies art assets more expensive to make - graphic whoreism over gameplay systems, basically.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
On a different note, something like Labyrinth of Touhou's party swapping mechanic would hardly work in a JA2-like game. You could adapt it for a JA2-like game, of course, but that would drastically change the mechanic itself as well as the dynamic of the combat.
You just made me imagine something really weird.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, didn't Albion have iso perspective AND blobber combat?
Albion had iso topdown combat on a grid. And it was only FP in dungeons and cities.

EDIT: The combat is phase based, so there is a possibility that after hitting the go button the action might be in FP view - my memory is a bit hazy, but it certainly wasn't a blobber.

UnknownBro

Savant
Wait... I'm starting to getting suspicious with so many titles promising turn-based tactical combat... my prognosis:

EA will acquire each company 6 months prior to release date. :troll:

Anyway, the game looks SWEET! but I just hope the gameplay is not popamole.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Why go to the trouble of making an isometric game and then put in FPP combat?
Word, should be full isometric.

fixed

BROTHERS, WE GOT US A NEW REALTIME vs. TURNBASED ARGUEMNT

DISCUSS!!"!1==??

Honestly, the game looks pretty sweet. Looks like I'll play it. Only thing I personally lament is why they don't use Pathfinder. Some day, some day.

The game looks interesting. Late 2012/early 2013 has been good to us in terms of annoucements. It's a weird feeling, being able to be picky about this genre again.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Only thing I personally lament is why they don't use Pathfinder. Some day, some day.

There's probably some really hardcore lawyerspeak preventing 3rd parties from licensing pathfinder since it's based off of a WotC license to begin with.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Only thing I personally lament is why they don't use Pathfinder. Some day, some day.

There's probably some really hardcore lawyerspeak preventing 3rd parties from licensing pathfinder since it's based off of a WotC license to begin with.

Nope. Quite the opposite. Since the 3.5 SRD is open for use, anything based on it must also be. www.d20pfsrd.com

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Sure, because God forbid some developers try to so something new.... heresy.

It's a fantastic idea, let's see how it turns out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom