Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of Xulima Hardcore/Ironman in 4K

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Deleted Member 16721

Hey.

Playing this game for the first time and decided to do an LP of it. Going with Hardcore Ironman difficulty and playing it in 4K resolution. Feel free to check it out if you'd like.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game really isn't the kind of game to do a hardcore ironman run for your first time through. I think you're going to die before your 5th combat encounter.

Deleted Member 16721

This game really isn't the kind of game to do a hardcore ironman run for your first time through. I think you're going to die before your 5th combat encounter.

True. :) I did play an hour or two on Old-School Veteran and died a lot, so naturally my first instinct was restarting on Hardcore Ironman. :M

It's crazy, I know, but will be fun to try.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I would like to know more about the combat mechanics behind the scenes, like what is the math that determines damage resolution. Other then that I'm enjoying your play through. The combat is very old school, while I'm fond of rtwp I can occasionally get into turn based if the atmosphere and art of the game can immerse me.

Oh and a question: Why exactly did the Princes make the temples into prisons? I know it was answered but I cannot find the dialogue.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, we don't want to waste our lives watching some slow videos and wonderwing "what I'm doing with my life?"
Is that hard to make screenshot of interesting parts?

Deleted Member 16721

Ah, my apologies. I forgot the 'Codex prefers text/screenshot LPs. Well, I'll keep this thread updated with the video LP for anyone who is into the video format. If not, that's cool, too.

I would consider doing a text/screenshot LP to go along with the videos, but they already take me a long time to create. Not only do I have to play the game, but then I have to mix the audio afterwards (I record the narration separately so I can make it sound better in post-processing), mux the video and audio together and then upload what is at the very least a 20 gb file.

In the future I'll consider doing a text/screenshot-based LP.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Ah, my apologies. I forgot the 'Codex prefers text/screenshot LPs. Well, I'll keep this thread updated with the video LP for anyone who is into the video format. If not, that's cool, too.

I would consider doing a text/screenshot LP to go along with the videos, but they already take me a long time to create. Not only do I have to play the game, but then I have to mix the audio afterwards (I record the narration separately so I can make it sound better in post-processing), mux the video and audio together and then upload what is at the very least a 20 gb file.

In the future I'll consider doing a text/screenshot-based LP.

When is the next episode?

Deleted Member 16721

I'm currently editing the next episode now. Should start the upload in 15 minutes or so. It's going to take awhile to upload, so probably a couple hours, maybe. Not sure.

I'll link the 2nd video in this thread when it's ready, too.

Deleted Member 16721

Just a heads up. I'm uploading it now but it's a 31 gb file, so it's going to be awhile as my upload speed from my ISP is only 20 Mb/s. Will probably be processed by YouTube and posted tomorrow (although 4K processing might still take a few more days).

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Just a heads up. I'm uploading it now but it's a 31 gb file, so it's going to be awhile as my upload speed from my ISP is only 20 Mb/s. Will probably be processed by YouTube and posted tomorrow (although 4K processing might still take a few more days).

Thanks for the update but in the first play through do you remember why the princes turned the temples into prisons?

Deleted Member 16721

Thanks for the update but in the first play through do you remember why the princes turned the temples into prisons?

I didn't play through the game before. I played 2 hours a few days ago on Old-School Veteran mode and that was my first experience with the game. Then I started this LP. So I really don't know much about the story or anything yet, but I do know that the princes inherited the lands from their father and then shortly after that started terrorizing the land. They turned the temples into prisons, killed priests, etc. That's all I really know so far. Sorry!

I would kindly ask that we avoid story spoilers and that sort of thing in this thread, if possible. Thanks!

Deleted Member 16721

Hey. Episode 2 is up! Still no 4K option for either video, but eh, whaddya gonna do?

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Those rats really can bite. The thing that would really suck is if you got pretty deep in a dungeon and then had a party wipe, without going back to town to save. So you know what happens if your main dies? Is it like IE where that requires a reload?

I'm excited to see other towns maybe a small city. Also did you play Pillars of Eternity?

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

Yep! I liked Pillars a lot. I have to go back and try the Ironman/Path of the Damned difficulty for that one, too. Maybe for a future LP...

If the main character dies nothing happens. I've had characters die a lot, but a party wipe is rare. You can escape if you sense a party wipe coming (the escape chance seems to be 100% so far). As long as one character gets away you're alright, and you can sleep for 24 hours and all HP/PP is restored and wounds cured. 24 hour rest is what cures the Fatal Wound status (i.e. a dead character), otherwise 8 hours or less will restore your HP/PP fully.

The rat bites can cause Nauseous, and it really makes your character weaker later in the game. It's expensive to cure, too, so you'll see how that turns out later, hah. Going to edit the 3rd video and get working on that. Really fun game so far.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
That's cool you can escape, that's what always turns me off about turn based, you can't run away.

Maybe there is some kind of consumable that you can carry to protect from poison, I see you have an anti poison but I'm assuming that doesn't work with every infliction.

I wonder if those skellys will be the hardest encounter yet

Deleted Member 16721

You'll see in the next episode! I'm uploading it now.

Yeah, some of the inflictions are rough on this difficulty. Afflictions like sickness (Nauseous) and Cursed won't go away until you get cured. Finding the money to balance all of this is part of the challenge as the balance is really tight so far.

Deleted Member 16721

Episode 3 is up. We continue clearing out the Rat Cave and level up for the first time.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I was wondering when you were gonna hand in the quest lol. Are you gonna do all the side quests in this town before you move on it's prolly a good idea. Also I think there was another npc who was looking for that missing person so you might want to tell them. Unless I'm mistaken.

Onward!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom