Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
My Russian contact already smuggled it, it's installed and everything.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Hey this friday 14th November will be release!
I bought this game some time ago and i can recommend it , it is somewhere between great crpg's like D:OS, Ultima and M&M.It is very large game, full of content and great writing, good mechanics, interesting combat system and character development , excellent music and specific graphics.
It's sounds crazy but i will call it "Darksun meets Ultima meets M&M meets D:OS meets BG meets Ishar "
And it's developers are truly amazing people, active, talented and integrated with the community.
This game is A LOT better than Wasteland 2 [which was "just" decent] and almost that good like D:OS [ different style of gameplay] .
HOORAY !!! :kwanzania::yeah::kwanzania:

Here is message from Steam:
"
Official Release this Friday on 14th November
Community Announcements - Numantian Games
Greetings!

Official Launch
FinallyLords of Xulima will be released officially this Friday, on the 14th of November. On Friday it will be available with the game, the Talisman of Golot, the Deluxe Edition, German language and MAC OSX version. The Linux one will be ready in two weeks.

We have been in Early Access stage for about three months now and have made many improvements to the game. Now it is much better than ever thanks to the awesome feedback of our community. Thank you very much to all that have collaborated in the final development stage of LoX.

V0.18 New Features!

To give you thanks, we have added some new cool features to the game that perhaps were the most wanted by the community.

Quick Bar buttons in Combat
Every character has now a quick-bar with 8 slots where you can place skills, items for use and items to equip. You can use the quick bar by clicking in the buttons or more easily by pressing their corresponding number.

LOX_CombatQuickBar.jpg

Custom Portraits
Now you can add custom portraits to be available when creating new characters. Also you can now change the portrait of a character by clicking on their portrait in the character screen. As soon as you run the 0.18 version you will have a new folder "Portraits" in "Documents\My Games\Lords of Xulima" with a text file with the instructions about how to add them (the format, size, naming...).

LOX_CustomPortraits.png

Steam Cloud
Yes, now you can continue your game from any computer you wish. Even the custom portraits are now synchronized in the cloud.

Two new music themes
Our awesome composer Nicolas de Ferran has created two new memorable themes that can be listened to now in the beginning of the adventure: "The Lost Continent" for the Tranquil Coast and Varas-Talak, and "Mist on the Swamps" in Rasmura. Now the Soundtrack has 15 beautiful themes that will be included in the Deluxe Edition with the best quality.

Displaying Encumbrance Values in the Shop
Now, when you examine armor pieces in the inventory or in the shops, it displays the values of the max weight the character can carry, and how it is affected if they equipped that armor piece. A very helpful information for those that want to make the most of your party.

LoX-2014-11-01-12-26-10-39.jpg

And that's all! "

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Awesome. This little team has done a fantastic job with this game and the it quiet way of delivering a really great blobber. Very glad I backed this.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Probably Magic Resistance or something. "Looks like Pentagram = Magic" is the thoughts of many people.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hexagrams are also symbols of magic. But they could put a circle around it and/or change its color because with the light blue color it really does look like the Star of David.

200px-Seal_of_Solomon_%28Simple_Version%29.svg.png

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The Star of David is closely associated with Kabbalah = Jewish mysticism (=JEW MAGIX)

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Played a lot of the game this game this week (yeah, kinda stupid to play early access right before the release, but it's all so I can do the funbuilding once I'll learn of release changes) and found it to be more or less enjoyable but, at the same time, extremely mediocre.

First and foremost, in terms of gameplay it feels exactly like an RPGmaker game. Minus the faux-console interface. And the simple graphics. And the specific story developments (because yeah, most of such games try to present THE STORY). Apart from that, it's has pretty much nothing that strongly differentiates it from a myriad other such games. Now, that'll sound like a heresy, but I don't mind the RPGmaker games at all. I used to like them, actually (no rpgmakercodex, unfortunately). Their only problem is the sheer volume of them and the lack of reliable sources to help you in finding the actually good stuff. That's why I don't bother with them anymore. And, well, the limitations of the engine - despite people trying hard to make their combat unique (at least in the better exemplars), most of them fail at that department. So they can provide a good experience but it's gonna be a limited one. And, of course, they have their problems which stem directly from their golden JRPG-era predecessors. And all that is present in the Xulima. Despite it being neither an JRPG or an RPGmaker game.

From that viewpoint, the biggest issue is the combat. No, it's fine, it's just not fresh and holds nothing surprising at all. Some of the enemies (like thieves, for example) are so painfully carbon-copied that it's not even funny. I dunno even from where, I just know they are cliche. And the tactics and the flow of the combat are extremely generic - the classes play like everywhere else, so yeah, the cleric's mass heals are vital for the party's survival, the mage is a main DPS dealer with his AoE nukes, the fighter has some charged attacks and, in prolonged combat, poison (or burn or bleeding which are the same mechanic, pretty much) is the king. Been there, done that. If anything, the game's combat system is even simplistic - skill points are rather precious so your spell arsenal turns out to be smaller than in your average RPGmaker game. Of course, they lack balance so you usually use just a handful of skills, but it's not like here it's different. What is different here, lol?

Once again, I'm not saying the game is shit. It's ok and, probably, people who've never seen RPGmaker or JRPG stuff will enjoy it a lot as it'll be their first contact with these sorts of gameplay. But for someone who knows this, it's absolutely banal and not that interesting. Yeah, in the beginning of the game where it still feels fresh (mind you, I haven't played RPGmakers in, like, 3 years or so so I'm feeling this way after a long break) and the combat is somewhat difficult, it's sorta nice. But that ends quickly (more so if you take on a harder challenges and do a couple of things that you're not supposed to do - for example, slaughter all of elite guards of the first prince and you gain so much experience that it breaks the early-to-mid game, pretty much). And only grind remains (and boy, they say this game is 100 hours, but most of that is exactly this - fighting another trashmob encounter). Well, I dunno, maybe you're not forced to grind this much if you don't finish each area (I did it mostly to test stuff with the game), but on the highest difficulty you're absolutely forced to and, you see, each area has a couple of really tough (and thus interesting) encounters. But to have them, you have to actually finish most of those trashmob fights so yeah. Tthere are very few standing monsters, btw - most attack you in the ambushes, though there's a limited amount of ambushes for each area; another thing is that the amount of ambushes is certainly overbloated - a small lake area that'll take 5 minutes to explore will have 15 ambushes and, roughly, it's 1 ambush per minute. Anyhow, to put in a shorter way, combat starts nice, but gets stale rather soon, unfortunately.

And, apart from the combat, I can't say that the game boasts that much. Yeah, there's exploration, but it's somewhat limited by what you can (and can not) kill. The game is supposedly open-worlded, but there's a clear course that the authors try to set you upon. In some places, it can be broken through (even if fights are difficult), in other, you have to wait until certain moments of the game. And, apart from the combat, there's not much to find in the game so meh.

The story is extremely plain. It's epic and played absolutely straight, without any kind of twists (well, apart from the totally apparent one at the end - I haven't finished it, but it glares quite obviously) or any interesting stuff happening. You're hero, you're saving villagers and shit. And main character is pre-made and looks like Conchita Wurst. And is so boring that I've skipped most of the dialogues (the one with the first prince was atrocious, though).

The graphics are also generic. Like, the backgrounds are really pretty, but the design of it all is absolutely generic. No attempts to do anything original are made. Which, to be honest, seems to be the name of the game. I don't want to say the game is bad and I'm not sorry about the time I've spent on it (though, now that I've understood its system, I really don't want to finish it or play anything past that), but I'm finding zero remarkable things about it. Everything is plain / simple / generic / have been somewhere else already. So what's the point, really?

At least the character system is ok. Well, the stats system is bad (it's always strength+speed for the fighters, speed+constitution+energy for the mages), but the skills offer some choices and the only bad class is the arcane soldier. And even he has some uses. So you can certainly build a number of parties in this game. Now, why would anyone want to replay it is a different matter.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Whoa, a naysayer! Interesting, considering the general reception from what I've been hearing.

Guess I shouldn't regret being too poor to buy it until a 50% sale comes along then.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Played a lot of the game this game this week (yeah, kinda stupid to play early access right before the release, but it's all so I can do the funbuilding once I'll learn of release changes) and found it to be more or less enjoyable but, at the same time, extremely mediocre.

snip

At least the character system is ok. Well, the stats system is bad (it's always strength+speed for the fighters, speed+constitution+energy for the mages), but the skills offer some choices and the only bad class is the arcane soldier. And even he has some uses. So you can certainly build a number of parties in this game. Now, why would anyone want to replay it is a different matter.

Good post. I agree with a lot of what you said about the game. I played it for more than 40 hours I think.

I don't know much about the RPG Maker you mentioned - will look into that.

For me, it felt like a competent RPG that was part "old school" and did more or less what I expected of it. It's hard to find many games that meets your expectations and this one - for the price - did more.

I think when the final release is available I will take another look and try a completely different party.

Looking back - I think the biggest problem I had with it was the food mechanic, it's too draconian in my opinion. It forced me to think about food at the expense of exploring and playing the game.

I liked the graphics and some of the puzzles, such as the one in the sleepy forest and the one where you find a clue by exploring the transporters and seeing on map view the different locations spell a word. They were pretty good.

I was looking for a modern BT1 clone so this was actually perfect int hat sense.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Numantian Games Congratulations to the Xulima team! I won't be delving into this one yet as I have many other games on my playlist right now (what a wonderful problem to have after all these years!!) so hopefdully by the time they send out the physical goodies, and fixed many of the inevitable bugs, I'll be ready to go... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Congrats Numantian. I will be restarting with a fresh party this weekend!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom