Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Only 9 class for a 6 characters party based.Why not include more classes like monk, assassins etc etc?
By the way, I'm sure I will enjoy Xulima.Will wait for the GoG version

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Trailer is hot. "More than 100 hours" promises a full week of playing/eating shitty food/barely sleeping while dreaming of killing monsters. I'm sold.

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Only 9 class for a 6 characters party based.Why not include more classes like monk, assassins etc etc?
By the way, I'm sure I will enjoy Xulima.Will wait for the GoG version
Agree that when you look at the numbers from above, the possibilities may seem small, but that's the eternal design dilemma between breadth and depth. Appearance and substance. "Wow, there are 20 classes to choose from!" and "Awesome, each class is unique and useful!".

Should add that the protagonist is an Explorer; a class which will become unique once the Divine Summoner is introduced (meaning you will have 9 classes to choose from for your 5 additional companions). Also, popular feedback is that the Barbarian isn't quite up to standard yet, so it's much better to flesh out the existing content before adding new stuff, because if you go too far into the latter, this is what you get:

:popamole:
:mob:
:P The Monk was actually offered during Kickstarter as a stretch goal, and it was the most popular vote alongside the Gardens of Nameria (an endgame region). I think that 10 functional & well-balanced classes offer enough flavor, although there are still plenty of cool ideas in the mid-term thinktank.

LoX attempts to pull off a lot in a crowd where you see many contenders 'settle' for either breadth of surface (commercial success, since 70% of the world's population is Extravert & Sensor) or depth of substance (player involvement, in other words what separates games from other medias).

The next step after offering a large, rich world which actually poses a threat to your custom party, is preserving the fun and satisfaction felt in exploring it. This is very do-able when you have a team of focused & perceptive gamers/software technicians looking to develop RPGs as a way of life.

Sinatar

Arbiter
If the classes have a nice deep progression system then the number of them is pretty irrelevant.

BGMD

Learned
Maybe I've overlooked this, but need further clarification. Is beta key usable just for beta period, or also for the full game (like Wasteland 2, nothing is explicit enough about this). I'd prefer GOG version for final release, so should I hold off for now?

belated

Augur
Nice, got my beta key today and activated it (though I'll likely opt for a GOG-version of the finished product).

mettalhed

Educated
Am I the only one who actually likes the game's art direction?

No, i also think it looks good.

I'm glad you can run. If you had to walk at the speed shown in the trailer all the time i would get very frustrated. Same issue i had with Eschalon.

Combat looks fun but the animations seem a bit slow. Maybe add an option to adjust combat animation speed? A slider would be perfect. I'm not sure how hard that would be to implement though.

Looks great otherwise. Hope it's successful.

Cromwell

Arcane
I might have overlooked it but the steampages doesnt state a price and I didnt find a post in this thread (nor somewhere else) about it. So how much do I have to shell out tomorrow?

jdinatale

Cipher
I played for 30 minutes and it seems awesome! But will beta save games be compatible with the final release? If not, I'll wait for the full game.

Now one suggestion that I think would greatly enhance the game is for the player to be able to double click on an interactive object and have him walk up and interact with it. For instance, if the player saw a herb on the ground, he could double click on it, and the PC would walk up and grab it. As it is now, you have to manually walk up to the object and then interact with it.

I think this small change could greatly enhance the game.

Repressed Homosexual
Now it refuses to start at all saying "Lords of Xulima must be started within the Steam client" (even though there are no Lox processes running). LOL what a POS.

Alchemist

Arcane
Played for about an hour last night and I really like it so far. Runs smooth as butter too.
Now one suggestion that I think would greatly enhance the game is for the player to be able to double click on an interactive object and have him walk up and interact with it. For instance, if the player saw a herb on the ground, he could double click on it, and the PC would walk up and grab it. As it is now, you have to manually walk up to the object and then interact with it.

I think this small change could greatly enhance the game.
Agreed, that would be a welcome interface improvement.

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Maybe I've overlooked this, but need further clarification. Is beta key usable just for beta period, or also for the full game (like Wasteland 2, nothing is explicit enough about this). I'd prefer GOG version for final release, so should I hold off for now?
Full game. As stated in Kickstarter comments...
@madGamer: No problem, when the GOG version is alive send us an email to get your DRM free copy
...once the DRM-free version is out, walking and feeding on your snacks, any backer will be able to e-mail to receive a copy.

No, i also think it looks good.

I'm glad you can run. If you had to walk at the speed shown in the trailer all the time i would get very frustrated. Same issue i had with Eschalon.

Combat looks fun but the animations seem a bit slow. Maybe add an option to adjust combat animation speed? A slider would be perfect. I'm not sure how hard that would be to implement though.

Looks great otherwise. Hope it's successful.
Agree. 3 combat speeds can be selected through the white dots on the left of the combat status UI:
2014_08_07_00003.jpg
Popular feedback is that it's a little 'too discreet', or at least needs to be documented better. On the list of improvements to make.

I might have overlooked it but the steampages doesnt state a price and I didnt find a post in this thread (nor somewhere else) about it. So how much do I have to shell out tomorrow?
All I know is that it will be mindful of what backers have pledged to support the game and also based on X - Y, where X is an estimate of the game's potential and Y are realistic factors for a studio about to take an important step in the games industry.

My mouse cursor disappears when the game is launched, I can't do anything but press escape to exit.
Now it refuses to start at all saying "Lords of Xulima must be started within the Steam client" (even though there are no Lox processes running). LOL what a POS.
The mouse thing is a first, it will be fixed. Steam occasionally dislikes when the game is ran for the first time on certain computer configurations. Agree that it's a thorn. Will be fixed before official release, in the meantime if Steam isn't acknowledging that the game is closed, close it by using CTRL+ALT+DEL > Task Manager > End Task.

Also, normally, any disrupting issue should be accompanied with a report prompt that will send a bunch of info to the devs, as well as any comment you'd like to add. Making it trigger 100% of the time on game startup has been tricky, but will be ironed out, especially as more and more players try out the game (diversity of computer specs trying out the game = better software).

Mortmal

Arcane
My first impressions of this are really good,seems a mix of albion and wizardry.Fights are already better than might and magic X as theres a clever use of the rows, not only you can place your characters on two rows but they cant hit everything when on the edge unless you use long range or polearms. Status debuff dots, stuns, its really good blobber combat with tactical depth.
What do you guys are using as party setup ? Ive put the explorer , soldier, paladin and rogue(really good evasion) on front row, explorer and rogue with range and cleric+ mage in back row, seems to works good so far.
I wasnt expecting much at that low price of 16$ but its shaping out to be a true rpg.

Mortmal

Arcane
Gorgeous 2d landscape, excellent ambient sounds, disarmable traps, use of food of torches.... Hidden treasures. Theres an oldschoold feel in that game, i start to really love it.

Repressed Homosexual
The first thing I know I would love is a way to make the combat animations faster.

Also, is what's in the beta just like half of the final game, that is to say, 99% finalized content or so?

I decided not to play hardcore and to play classic instead, hardcore is too demanding for a leisurely game like this.

Repressed Homosexual
I was looking in the options menu, now I see.

Lovely, lovely game, I knew I would like it. It's like a mix of Baldur's Gate and Might and Magic with a few good original ideas.

Cromwell

Arcane
My first impressions of this are really good,seems a mix of albion and wizardry.Fights are already better than might and magic X as theres a clever use of the rows, not only you can place your characters on two rows but they cant hit everything when on the edge unless you use long range or polearms. Status debuff dots, stuns, its really good blobber combat with tactical depth.
What do you guys are using as party setup ? Ive put the explorer , soldier, paladin and rogue(really good evasion) on front row, explorer and rogue with range and cleric+ mage in back row, seems to works good so far.
I wasnt expecting much at that low price of 16$ but its shaping out to be a true rpg.

Can you only have two guys in the back row or did you just decide to not have more?

CWagner

Augur
I think the game looks nice, all the events happening are fun and at least at the start the enemies seem to be harder than D:OS's (with D:OS on hard and LoX on normal). Overall pretty cool.

Also I like this part
As this release is the actual game, all of your saved games will be compatible with the final version.

Can you only have two guys in the back row or did you just decide to not have more?
I haven't played for a long time yet (107 minutes according to Steam) but the back row only exists when the spot right in front of it has someone in it. So you could have 4 in the back if you had a group of 8 ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom