Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
http://www.numantiangames.com/lordsofxulima/

https://af.gog.com/game/lords_of_xulima?as=1649904300

http://www.lordsofxulima.com/2012/01/04/hello-world/

JXApp-2012-11-11-14-12-38-79.jpg

JXApp-2013-01-26-16-02-56-03-1024x576.jpg

Features

Create your party with up to six characters, choosing between 10 classes and more than 100 unique skills.

Strategic turn-based combat in first person view.

A vast continent to explore, with different environments and climates. You are free to go everywhere from the beginning (but be carefull where you go because the lands of Xulima are extremely dangerous).

Castles, towers and temples awaits you to discover their secrets.

Inspired by the old-school classics, featuring a challenging gameplay, with riddles and lethal encounters.

Charming hand-drawn 2D graphics for landscapes and maps, mixed with 3D pre-renderered animations for creatures and monsters.

Looks sweet. Very Wizards & Warriors from the combat sreen. But the exploration view is a bit confusing; game is first person (turn based) BUT town looks like it's in 3rd person view.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
I was right: 3rd person exploration and 1st person turnbased combat. Kinda like a reverse Realms of Arkania! :D

JXApp-2012-11-08-21-49-45-74-1024x576.jpg

JXApp-2013-01-26-16-13-15-63-1024x576.jpg

JXApp-2012-09-05-20-00-43-74-1024x576.jpg

JXGameDesigner-2013-01-28-19-26-33-25.jpg

JXGameDesigner-2013-01-28-19-35-22-58-1024x560.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
But the exploration view is a bit confusing; game is first person (turn based) BUT town looks like it's in 3rd person view.

What are they smoking?

I can just imagine it, a year from now one of them gets sober for a moment, looks at it and ask another, "eh... Bill... you sure it was not supposed to be the other way around?" To which the second responds, "Chill dude, yo, it's allright, it says so right there in the design docu... oh... wait, let me read it again... oh shit."

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
But the exploration view is a bit confusing; game is first person (turn based) BUT town looks like it's in 3rd person view.

What are they smoking?

I can just imagine it, a year from now one of them gets sober for a moment, looks at it and ask another, "eh... Bill... you sure it was not supposed to be the other way around?" To which the second responds, "Chill dude, yo, it's allright, it says so right there in the design docu... oh... wait, let me read it again... oh shit."

:lol:

:bro:

mondblut

Arcane
Still looks fucking impressive. If they finish it, I think I would enjoy it.

Nonetheless, if that's how they think ToEE and Might & Magic should be crossed together, I wonder if they have any centaurs and whether they look this way:

7489384492_d54b72094a_z.jpg

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Still looks fucking impressive. If they finish it, I think I would enjoy it.

Nonetheless, if that's how they think ToEE and Might & Magic should be crossed together, I wonder if they have any centaurs and whether they look this way:

7489384492_d54b72094a_z.jpg

This is exactly how I picture Andyman Messiah whenever he posts!

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
That is exactly what I have my assistant wear when he writes my amazing posts. Because hooves, mutha. Hooves.

Also:

[pacino]GREAT ASS!![/pacino]

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Those were sprites. These look to be 3d models. And very similar to Wizards and Warriors

I know, that's why I said "character sprites." They still remind me of them (the awkward stance and facial expressions) just a 3D version. ;)

It's cool mindx2, I know you said sprites, I was just saying for the heck of saying. :)

Oh and could some kind soul give the full link to the YouTube demo?

They have the class descriptions up on the website. Looks good, though I would prefer more flavorful name for the classes

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, I can't say I like the visuals (mostly due to bloom and the 3d models sitting in an uncanny valley for combat, especially when I imagine their cheap animation) I love turnbased combat with a turn ticker on the UI, so the here's hoping the gameplay makes it worth adjusting to the graphics, like KotC was.

Dorateen

Arcane
What exactly is going on with:

"Play the role of Gaulen the explorer and create a group of five more characters..."

I don't like a Main Character in a party-based computer role-playing game, and never have.

And let me be clear as crystal. This raises a number of legitimate concerns about gameplay. Is this Gaulen character treated different than the other five player created characters? If so, why? What happens when Gaulen dies in combat... game over? How come not for the other party members? Then of course the biggest sin of all, forcing a narrative on the player. Suddenly, this is adventure is the story about Gaulen, who I may or may not even care for. Such design is counter to the legacy of classic Wizardries and Might & Magics.

Other than that, the game looks pretty decent.

MisterStone

Arcane
So is the combat basically like monster's den where there's a party formation but no battle map, and the main tactical considerations are timing and front/back ranks?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Death in party based RPGs
It’s clear that in RPGs, as well as in other genres, that when the player is represented by just one character and that character dies in the game, there is only one possible outcome “GAME OVER”
However, in RPGs where the player controls a group of characters, the outcome is not so obvious:
  • Can the characters die? How about the main character?
  • Is the game over when one character dies, they all die, or simply when the protagonist dies?
  • Can unconscious or dead characters be healed or resurrected? Are there consequences?
Personally, I have never been a fan of resurrection, not in games, or books. I think that, no matter how fantastic the setting might be, there are certain things that should be unalterable. Otherwise, the player is left with the feeling that “nothing matters and there is nothing to worry about, not even death”. For me, time travel can also have a similar effect of removing tension. If anything that happens can be easily undone or changed, then where is the danger? Where is the suspense?
In RPGs, the issue becomes even more absurd. Many times the main conflict in the story revolves around events like assassinated kings, revenge for the killing of a loved one or a quest to end the reign of some terrible sorcerer or monster. Do these things make sense in a world where anyone can simply be resurrected? How can a king, with all his power and wealth, be permanently dead when the characters in your party just need to stop by the local apothecary to pick up a potion or a spell to revive their fallen companions? This is too much of a discontinuity for my tastes.
Applying this principal to my own playing style in RPGs, I can proudly state that I never allowed a member of my party to die and be resurrected. If in combat, or through some accident, a member of my party died, I have always reloaded the game and re-played everything up to the point of the death (I have played like this from Might and Magic 1 all the way to Baldur’s Gate). The only exception to this rule for me has been in the final boss battles of the games. If I’m at the very end of the game and some of the characters have died, then there’s no problem, that’s simply the way their stories ended in the adventure for me. They fought valiantly and in the end perished victoriously without ever being resurrected. Those who lived will always remember their loyal fallen comrades.
Another aspect of games that has never made a lot of sense is the allowance of dead party members to remain in the game. What happens when they are supposed to participate in dialog or story? Some games, like Baldur’s Gate, allow party members to contribute to the story from beyond the grave without it being a big problem. In other games, like Dragon Age Origins, all of the characters are healed or revived instantly after every combat encounter, so the problem with what to do if a character dies is completely avoided. In older classics like Wizardry and Might & Magic, most of the dialog is actually player driven rather than relying on characters, so it’s not too much of a problem if some of the characters end up being cadavers.
And in Lords of Xulima?

This is what happens when you refuse to pay the entrance fee in the village of Velegarn
The group DOES NOT automatically recover at the end of combat.

Every fight counts, every trap activated and every wound inflicted. Actions, of whatever type, should have consequences, good or bad. Every encounter should be engaging and meaningful and require strategy on the part of the player to obtain the best possible outcome.
If ALL characters die, the game is OVER!

This can happen in combat, through traps or if the party decided to try to walk through lava and didn’t make it…
There is no death and resurrection of individual characters

If a character loses all his hit points he remains in a state called “defeated” and his portrait will turn gray. This character can walk and talk, but cannot engage in combat or perform actions such as lock picking or spell casting, until their hit points have been restored to a positive number. The game is novel in this aspect; the characters can have negative hit points (up to their maximum value of hit points). So, it will be more costly to revive seriously damaged characters (it will require more spells, potions or rest).
Defeated characters will suffer penalties

When a character has lost all of their hit points they are then assigned the condition “Fatally Wounded”. Even when they recover their hit points through rest, magic or potions, they will suffer penalties to defense, combat speed, attacks and skill actions. The effects will last until the condition has been cured. To recover from this condition, characters need to rest for an entire day, drink a special potion or be cured by a grand cleric (the cleric may be part of the group or the party can use the services of a temple if they are able to provided sufficient donations)
The Player Decides…

In Lords of Xulima you will frequently have your characters fall defeated in combat or other dangerous situations, but that’s not the end of the game, far from it. The player has many options, like resting in the wilderness (a dangerous risk), seeking refuge in a town, curing party members with spells and potions, or continuing on with the survivors. Each player will be able to develop their own strategy. There may be many situations where characters being defeated is inevitable. You may decide to walk across lava to obtain an ancient artifact, or run through a poisonous cloud to escape a giant serpent, the choice is yours…the only thing truly fatal is losing all of your characters at once.
The next post will be about rest, curing and the necessity of food in RPGs…

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Why is the perspective all fucked for the buildings? Looks like they were drawn separately from the environment, then mashed up together and now it just looks wrong. Nice Poser 3D models, too. :lol:

mondblut

Arcane
tl;dr version: Betrayal at Krondor.

Also, negative HP are as old as AD&D. And Might & Magic starting with at least 3 turned it up to 11 with negative death threshold scaling with levelling all the way into three digits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom