Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LucasArts Loom

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Anyone remember this one?
It's a fucking gem to me, really is.

For those that don't know, here's a look:

Friggin really enjoyed this game. I wished they had finished it up like they wanted to. Interesting how the voice acting is actually better than the shit done now.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I replayed it a couple of years back, then read up on the backstory of the game.

The definitive version of the game is the 68800 version. You know, that obscure Japanese console. The CD version of the game (for PC) has truncated and omitted text and dialogue that the disk version has, but the 68800 version has all the text, and all with voice. There's also an audio drama floating around somewhere that's supposed to help fill in the backstory, but the voice acting there makes me cringe.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm so old school I originally played the one without voice acting. Music is great. Wasn't really wild about how the story ended but only found out later it was meant as party of a trilogy.

MMXI

Arcane
I replayed it a couple of years back, then read up on the backstory of the game.

The definitive version of the game is the 68800 version. You know, that obscure Japanese console. The CD version of the game (for PC) has truncated and omitted text and dialogue that the disk version has, but the 68800 version has all the text, and all with voice. There's also an audio drama floating around somewhere that's supposed to help fill in the backstory, but the voice acting there makes me cringe.
The FM Towns version? I've yet to play that one but by all accounts it is the best and most complete version of the game.

The audio drama isn't particularly good. I have listened to it in its entirety and it does give some back story, but given that the game is incredibly short there's really little point in bothering. Perhaps if the trilogy had been completed...

Also, this should probably be moved to the Adventure Gaming sub-forum.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
My second favourite adventure game of all time

Brian Moriarty on the game:

Your first project at Lucasfilm Games was Loom. How did you come up with the fantasy storyline in Loom? Where did you draw your inspiration for the game?

The fundamental inspiration for the game was the title itself. "Loom" is a luscious word with many diverse meanings. It suggests weaving, but also "looming" in the sense of towering over something, evoking mountains, power and menace. It also shares the sound of words that bring to mind feelings of darkness and secrecy, such as gloom, womb and tomb.
Out of this line of thought came the Weavers, an ancient craft guild secretly managing the fabric of reality. Throw in a dose of Mythology 101, an undead bad guy and my trademark fondness for extra dimensions, and you get what eventually became Loom, the game.
Once the basic concept was settled, I discussed it with Gary Winnick, the lead animator, and Mark Ferrari, the background artist. We found ourselves gravitating towards Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty as a model for the look and feel of the game. Sleeping Beauty has a very distinct aesthetic, unlike any other Disney film. The production designer for the film was Eyvand Earle, a painter known for his flat, stylized shapes and planes. Mark did an amazing job adapting this look to the 16-color EGA pallette.
The other major influence was Tchaikovsky's ballet Swan Lake. It's one of my favorite pieces of music. The majestic sweep and melancholy atmosphere seemed perfect for a wistful story like Loom. All of the music for the game was transcribed note-by-note from Tchaikovsky's score. I also borrowed the swans, the owls and a few other elements from the scenario of the ballet.

You had previously said that Loom was the first game of a planned trilogy adventure, followed by Forge and The Fold. What were the supposed storylines in these sequels? What tie over in the characters (such as Bobbin Threadbare) would exist in the sequels?

Loom wasn't actually written with a trilogy in mind. But after it was finished, there was vague interest in continuing the story. In discussing this possibility, I imagined two sequels. The first was tentatively called Forge. It tells the story of Bobbin's friend Rusty Nailbender, whose home city (the Forge of the Blacksmiths) was enslaved by Chaos near the end of Loom. Rusty becomes the leader of an underground movement to overthrow Chaos, together with Fleece Firmflanks of the Shepherds and new characters from the other Guilds. Bobbin appears every now and then as a ghostly swan dispensing mystical advice, an obvious nod to Obi-Wan Kanobi of Star Wars. The story climaxes in a terrible battle that nearly destroys the world.
The third game, The Fold, is about Fleece Firmflanks and her attempt to unite the shattered Guilds in a final, desperate effort to banish Chaos. Near the end of the game, when the cause appears hopeless, Bobbin and the Weavers swoop in like the proverbial cavalry to save the day. The Loom of the Weavers is remade, reality is healed, and peace is restored to the Guilds.
But this was all just talk. I was busy with other projects, and nobody else felt strongly enough about the games to make a commitment. So Forge and The Fold never got made.

How likely is it in the future that you or LucasArts be involved in making a sequel to Loom or even a remake of the original Loom? What may it take for a revival of the franchise to occur?

Some years after I left LucasArts, I had a conversation with the then-current president of the division about the possibility of a remake and/or sequel to Loom. But he left soon afterward in a corporate upheaval, a Lucasfilm specialty. At this point, the franchise seems unlikely to be revived.

What is an interesting tidbit about Loom that is least known by its fans?

While Gary Winnick developed most of the animation in the game, a few choice bits were created by other artists. Steve Purcell, the creator of Sam and Max, was asked to produce the scene in which Bishop Mandible is killed by Chaos. He responded with the hilarious, over-the-top sequence in which the Bishop's body is blown to pieces, and his severed head flies directly into the camera!
Another terrific artist, Ken Macklin, created the amazing special effect where a flock of swans soars away from Loom Island holding a shred of reality in their beaks. I was blown away when he showed it to me. It was a simple, economical and beautiful way to express an almost indescribable event.

There are now at least two fan-made sequels of Loom in the making. What do you think of these fan-based efforts to revive the series? Have you ever been involved in any fan-based project related to Loom?

Over the years, I've been contacted by a number of people interested in continuing the story. Some of them have emailed me concept art. But I don't control the property, so they are free to take it wherever they want, as long as they are respectful towards Lucasfilm's copyrights. Lawsuits are another Lucasfilm specialty.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm so old school I originally played the one without voice acting.
Same here. Which is really goddamn weird considering I've never been much for adventure games. Fairly sure I've still got the manual somewhere with notes/spells scribbled in, and hell maybe even the box and floppies.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yep, played it without voice acting too. This is one of my favourite adventures for sure - it was beautiful, although a bit easy and short.

And if I remember correctly, the game wouldn't tell you if you entered the copy protection correctly - you could play until you left the island and then get stuck at the twister.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Are you sure? I'm pretty certain that the FM-Towns version has no voice, though otherwise it is the most 'complete' version. If you mean the console, that was the Turbografx and that only had 64 colours and no voice either.

MMXI

Arcane
Are you sure? I'm pretty certain that the FM-Towns version has no voice, though otherwise it is the most 'complete' version. If you mean the console, that was the Turbografx and that only had 64 colours and no voice either.
Indeed. The FM Towns version has no voices, but because of that it keeps the full dialogue of the original version. It's also VGA like the DOS CD talkie version, but doesn't have any of its scenes cut. Another advantage of this version is that it loops the music like in later LucasArts adventure games, where as the CD talkie version plays music mostly during plot progressions and is silent for most of the game.

Morkar Left

I'm so old school I originally played the one without voice acting.
Same here. Which is really goddamn weird considering I've never been much for adventure games. Fairly sure I've still got the manual somewhere with notes/spells scribbled in, and hell maybe even the box and floppies.

I didn't even know there was a voiced version...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Fantastic game, I love how it mixes magic and point & click gameplay. I remeber playing it with a piece of paper completly scrabbled on, trying to think WTF I should do, what magic I should use...
especially those tricks of casting a magic backwards.

Sadly I have a great memory and can probably remember every puzzle solution I went through on games I was really into...some games I wish I could play, forget all the puzzles and play again, over and over again...

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
The spells were randomly generated (except two), yeah, but the puzzles weren't

LizardKing

Scholar
Hmm.. I really SHOULD replay this one.
I still have the box, manual (+my old notes) and floppies lying somewhere..

marooned

Liturgist
This is one of my favourites. A pity it's so short but that only adds to the charm.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
I remember as a kid going to the videogame store and asking "Is Loom out?". Every fucking month.
I also remember getting home with the coveted box and listening to the tape in mom's car.
God I'm so fucking old. God video games are so dull and boring these days. Luckily I have new center of interests (DFF) :)

Castanova

Prophet
Great game. I was quite young when I played it and I remember my mind was blown when I finally figured out that I needed to cast that spell backwards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom