Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Looks like Pillars of Eternity 2 is going to be officially announced soon

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i won't be butthurt because there are tons of grid-based dungeon crawlers for me to play, and most of them are extremely good.

i will, however, be disappointed.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
PoE was one of the best-run crowdfunded projects, so I wouldn't hesitate to back them again. Not saying the final game was without it's flaws, but they delivered on what they promised and were totally open and honest the whole way. And they didn't come crawling back for more money before they delivered, like certain other studios *cough*InXile*cough*

duanth123

Arcane
Yes! So excited to hear the news!

Obsidian totally delivered with PoE! Not saying the final game was without it's flaws, but Obsidian delivered a world where the choices you make and the paths you choose shape your destiny.

It was, to me, a game in which you could recapture the deep sense of exploration, the joy of a pulsating adventure, and the thrill of leading your own band of companions across a new fantasy realm and into the depths of monster-infested dungeons in search of lost treasures and ancient mysteries.

Each time I played I would delve into a realm of wonder, nostalgia, and the excitement of classic RPGs with Obsidian’s Pillars of Eternity!

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes! So excited to hear the news!

Obsidian totally delivered with PoE! White March

FTFY. Base game had problems, DLC, well, didn't. Are design was superb even if part 1 was Icewind Dale-ey

duanth123

Arcane
FTFY. Base game had problems, DLC, well, didn't. Are design was superb even if part 1 was Icewind Dale-ey

Actually, now that I consider your analysis of the DLC's strengths, I would tend to agree.

I mean, White March was a large sprawling expansion pack with hours of gameplay integrated into the main adventure. Along with the new quests and area content, the team at Obsidian continued to support and make improvements to the entire game, including the additions of Player Party AI and Enhanced Enemy AI.

On a deeply personal level I felt that even if you hadn't played Pillars of Eternity, White March was a great time to jump in and experience the hardcore classic RPG with The White March - Part I & II.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I kind of was expecting more badassery and edgy posts... but frankly I mostly see apathy

If I were Obsidian I would be really worried about that; while Fargo and Sven have their detractors here in the Codex their companies are definetly on the rise but many users here have turned really badly on Sawyer and company

Tyranny selling so badly is no suprise; charging $44 $65 or $80 for a digital only game is ludicrous, had they had maybe a $30 vanilla price I think more people would have taken an interest in it but getting released just before the holidays didnt help plus they really did a lousy job promoting the game, hell not even the people like George Weidman (Superbunnyhop) who had one of the first reviews for Pillars even cared enough to review it... couldnt they have sent a review copy to the guy? That is exactly the sort of lack of any PR that makes me want to scream

As for Pillars 2 frankly setting the story on another region is more than enough and they should take the wiki explinations along with the magic system from Tyranny

duanth123

Arcane
ok duanth

how much is Sawyer paying you, and where do i sign up. c'mon, spill it, i need the money!

JES promised me 72 virgins if I proselytized on this "RPG Codex" as I'm told it's called.

But I just copy-pasted Steam descriptions.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/

Pillars of Eternity:
Prepare to be enchanted by a world where the choices you make and the paths you choose shape your destiny. Obsidian Entertainment, the developer of Fallout: New Vegas™ and South Park: The Stick of Truth™, together with Paradox Interactive is proud to present Pillars of Eternity.

Recapture the deep sense of exploration, the joy of a pulsating adventure, and the thrill of leading your own band of companions across a new fantasy realm and into the depths of monster-infested dungeons in search of lost treasures and ancient mysteries.

So gather your party, venture forth, and embrace adventure as you delve into a realm of wonder, nostalgia, and the excitement of classic RPGs with Obsidian’s Pillars of Eternity!

Turns out Obsidian's own bland marketing efforts are indistinguishable from the nondescript, dispirited praise for recent Obsidian products (such as by an increasing many in this very thread) Invictus has rightly noted to be at this point downright symptomatic.

Or/And maybe the juxtaposition in fact shows the opposite; just what an incredible disparity exists between what was promised and actually delivered. Which even those who "appreciated" the game would acknowledge.

As for Pillars 2 frankly setting the story on another region is more than enough and they should take the wiki explinations along with the magic system from Tyranny

Not if they completely waste the potential of their setting with pablum disguised as quests/locations/NPC dialogue/combat encounters/variety.

Which was Pillars' true sin and a hefty accomplishment given Obsidian's pedigree, marred only by Avellone's companions.

In response to your suggestion, Invictus, my personal answer is yes. I no longer feel any affinity towards Obsidian.

My immediate reaction to this news, and the endless series of Infinitron news posts to follow, is simply one of exhaustion.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Tyranny selling so badly is no suprise; charging $44 $65 or $80 for a digital only game is ludicrous

I predicted less than 200 or 250K sales in the first year and some people laughed me off thinking that it would easily do better than that.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Just for the lulz I installed Pillars on my laptop since I am waiting for the next AoD patch to add the Dungeon Rats combat and honestly it felt like one of those over hyped "Director Cuts"... but on this case it works
Even in the introduction the changes they made with the 3.0 patches are notable; the companion AI, more of the "choose your own adventure" options, the game feels somehow more polished.
I meant only to try out the starter dungeon but I frankly got caught up and played for a couple of hours
All the people (arguably like me) who got caught up on the initial disappointment on the release of the game I would just suggest giving the game a try, this feels like the game it should have been at release and even though its problems persist (magic system, iffy items, lack of prebuffs and walls of text) maybe Obsidian can pull it off and produce something very good.
They seem to do well with sequels, and frankly they already have the setting pretty well established so who knows?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Just for the lulz I installed Pillars on my laptop since I am waiting for the next AoD patch to add the Dungeon Rats combat and honestly it felt like one of those over hyped "Director Cuts"... but on this case it works
Even in the introduction the changes they made with the 3.0 patches are notable; the companion AI, more of the "choose your own adventure" options, the game feels somehow more polished.
I meant only to try out the starter dungeon but I frankly got caught up and played for a couple of hours
All the people (arguably like me) who got caught up on the initial disappointment on the release of the game I would just suggest giving the game a try, this feels like the game it should have been at release and even though its problems persist (magic system, iffy items, lack of prebuffs and walls of text) maybe Obsidian can pull it off and produce something very good.
They seem to do well with sequels, and frankly they already have the setting pretty well established so who knows?

I decided to give PoE a second chance after all the patches and have been playing it for about a week. It is now more enjoyable, more polished and combat feels better, at least on the lower levels with PotD.

Some of the problems are still present though, like pretty shit magic/spells, especially short duration on some spells.

Rev

Arcane
After being berated for liking it and even banned for insulting people who disliked it, I'm broken and can't bring myself to care about all things PoE.

Tranny being so horrible didn't help either. Obsidian is dead to me now.
:negative:

Luckily, PoE2 should have very little in common with Tyranny. If WTM is any indication of what to expect, there should even be some :incline: coming.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
After being berated for liking it and even banned for insulting people who disliked it, I'm broken and can't bring myself to care about all things PoE.

The irony is that you couldn't find a worse studio to defend. Their ideas about game design (handholding, etc.) are diametrically opposite to everything you believe.

Rev

Arcane

The irony is that you couldn't find a worse studio to defend. Their ideas about game design (handholding, etc.) are diametrically opposite to everything you believe.
He likes good games. PoE+TWM is one, AoD is another one.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Uncle Tom came to my house a few years ago asking me for money and saying he would give me a really special gift that would change my life, he said to me that I just needed to give him money on advance and a few years later he would give me my incredible gift. During years, he told me how great this gift would be and how I was so wrong on so many things on my life and how he would make my life so much better and that he knew exactly what to do to achieve that, the sky was the limit. On the day arranged, he came with my gift, he said DeepOcean this is your gift.

Me: But uncle, this is half a car. You promised me a car. There isn't even an engine on it.
Uncle Tom: I promised you a car, I never said it was a full car, besides I didn't have time to finish it.
Me: What bullshit is this, you spent years saying to me how this car would be great and now this?
Uncle Tom: Ungrateful twat, look how balanced the two tires are, how polished and diverse the paint job is, the smell, hmm it is so great.
Me: But it still fucking missing the other half.
Uncle Tom: Look I had to do with what I had, sorry, I had to cut some corners here.
Me: What I gonna do with this?
Uncle Tom: It is a great vehicle to newbie drivers, they will be ever on any danger on crashing on things this way.
Me: Fuck newbie drivers. I want MY car.
Uncle Tom: Sorry, you will have to wait for the sequel... Boy, I have a dream of how this sequel will be, if it is convenient for me maybe even the missing half of your car will be in there. Just trust me.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
PoE is a rushed game with horrible encounter design, bad combat system, inflated writing, bland itemization and a uninspired character building that pointless tried to reinvent the wheel in order to be more inclusive toward casual players, thus disregarding the promise that it would be a spiritual sequel of BG2. The only thing that is good about it is the graphics.

Now I understand how games like BG2 become classics in the Codex in the first place. The game was probably torn to pieces by a first wave of critics, but when the dust settled, a second brigade of retards insisted that the game was a classic, blissful unaware of any criticisms. That was a considerable decline in comparison to previous classics, and which generation of new players that are fond of kickstarters, the standards will become progressively lower.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

I understand man believe me this is the last place where you want to be touchy about your likes or dislikes in games; I came here because of Grimoire and there is that...
I still believe the game will come out one day and when it does I will be very happy but in the end they are just games, my life goes on and frankly it is not worth insulting people or get mad about it
I have had people mock me because I like Skyrim, Dark Souls AND Age of Decandence, in the end I mostly care about my opinion and those of users with similar views that I respect like mondblut or DraQ who like oldschool blobbers like myself
So what is you liked the game? It is your choice man and in the end if it makes you happy dont mind anybody else's opinion.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
PoE is a rushed game with horrible encounter design, bad combat system, inflated writing, bland itemization and a uninspired character building that pointless tried to reinvent the wheel in order to be more inclusive toward causal players, thus disregarding the promise that it would be a spiritual sequel of BG2. The only thing that is good about it is the graphics.

Now I understand how games like BG2 become classics in the Codex in the first place. The game was probably torn to pieces by a first wave of critics, but when the dust settled, a second brigade of retards insisted that the game was a classic, blissful unaware of any criticisms. That was a considerable decline in comparison to previous classics, and which generation of new players that are fond of kickstarters, the standards will become progressively lower.
So now Baldur's Gate 2 sucks and we were somehow mindfucked into liking it? Going all edgy I see...
:russiastronk:

Prime Junta

Latest teaser hints at plot.

Looks like Eothas is coming back and the gods in general are going to start messing with mortals big-time. You could do worse as a premise for a high-level campaign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom