Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a futuresque RPG

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Gonna echo Shadowrun Returns, especially Dragonfall. I swear to god I keep telling people that game is in my top 5 (3?!?) RPGs released in the last 15 years.

I know, right! Keep telling people.

:bro: (I swear I'll work out my Java at some point, this is just an awkward way of doing it and you don't even get the cred.) :/

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Now, I haven't actually got to playing them, but I've heard some praise to the Paradise Cracked and, to a lesser extent, COPS 2170: Power of Law. Both are tactical RPGs set in the cyberpunk setting. They probably are horribly translated, but what can you do about that? Considering the amounts of cyberpunk RPGs, they are probably worth trying, at least.

Another thing I can recall is the Restricted Area - a really horrible & bland & kinda stupid Diablo-clone (you could've changed your brain on the run, lol), but it's cyberpunkish.

And what about that EYE: Divine Cybermancy? Also hadn't got to playing it, but weren't people praising it or what?

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
You may want to try 2400 AD if you can bear old Apple II games. An OKish Ultima clone but with great atmosphere.

:Flash:

Arcane
Whale's Voyage 1 and 2?
Even if you only try out the character generation, it's worth it, if you like Sci-Fi RPGs.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Now, I haven't actually got to playing them, but I've heard some praise to the Paradise Cracked and, to a lesser extent, COPS 2170: Power of Law. Both are tactical RPGs set in the cyberpunk setting. They probably are horribly translated, but what can you do about that? Considering the amounts of cyberpunk RPGs, they are probably worth trying, at least.

Another thing I can recall is the Restricted Area - a really horrible & bland & kinda stupid Diablo-clone (you could've changed your brain on the run, lol), but it's cyberpunkish.

And what about that EYE: Divine Cybermancy? Also hadn't got to playing it, but weren't people praising it or what?

I have Paradise Cracked somewhere I thin. COPS look fun, but what the fuck is with that giant rat?

I'm not sure if 2400 AD isn't TOO old for me. I like old games, but this...

EYE: Divine Cybermancy looks pretty nice and it's on Steam, so that's a plus.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut

As I understand it, it kinda really wanted to be a shooter rpg, but it doesn't really have the content to justify it as a full game. Nice ideas but piss poor on the execution.

However I am open to other povs.

I played an old game called Quarantine. It was one of the first games I played. You play a taxi driver in a future lawless mutant city. It's open world; you can ignore plot and just do random tasks in the city. It's probably one of the reasons I grew up to like open world games. I think I like more to do the repetitive random missions more than the story.

Not sure if this fits exactly the desired futuristic/cyberpunk setting. It's also an old little known game from 1994 and you're unlikely to find it. Of course, I've been playing Privateer recently and it's from that time and available too.

Could be on one of the Abandoned game sites.

One game I've been wanting to try is Outcast (action/adventure sci-fi):
http://af.gog.com/game/outcast?as=1649904300

A review or making-of:
http://www.edge-online.com/features/making-outcast/

Grolet is keen to emphasise this point: “Outcast was a game that featured an alien world that appeared alive with citizens ‘living’ their lives during the game. The AI was one of the most difficult parts to develop because the citizens had to do their job, react to the player missions, react to the player reputation and also react to danger and combat happening around them. The difficulty was to have the citizens prioritise and select the appropriate behaviours at any moment of the game.”

For the most part, this approach was extremely rewarding. Even subsequent games such as Oblivion have struggled to provide such a sophisticated and believable game world, one in which NPCs aren’t simply mannequin conversations waiting to happen. Grolet is justifiably proud of his team’s success in making people feel like they could approach a living world in any way they saw fit.
They're not kidding:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outcast_(video_game)):
A large part of the game focuses on conversing with the friendly aliens known as the Talan in order to learn the story and history of Adelpha, and to progress in Cutter's mission to find the probe. While this can all be skipped, they treat the player differently depending on how the player treats them, through a reputation system; If the player perform many tasks to help them, they like them more and are more eager to help, whereas if the player does things that harm them they will become more and more angry with the player and aggressively dismiss them. There are multiple variations of dialogues which are selected either randomly or based on the player's reputation.

Each weapon in the game fires slow-moving projectiles, requiring the player to constantly maneuver to avoid the enemy soldiers' attacks, and carefully aiming so that the player's will connect. Alternatively, the player can sneak around the enemy, by use of standing behind cover, lying down in a muddy field, using gadgets that turn you invisible for a short time, and so on. Cutter begins the game with just a pistol and his fists, and the player can buy more weapons (and upgrades for those weapons) whenever they have the money, while ammunition can either be found in the world, or crafted by taking a certain amount of materials to a Talan known as a Recreator. Soldiers will sound different alarms with a horn-like instrument when they see the player, to give orders to others nearby. They will try to move behind the player in order to flank them, and search the area or call for a meeting when they can no longer find them. In addition to soldiers, the hostile and less intelligent Adelphan wildlife will also try to fight the player if they come too close.

The enemy soldiers can be weakened by performing a certain task for the leader of each region. When this is done, they will stop producing resources for the soldiers: stopping food production lowers their health, stopping the mining operations makes their weapons less powerful, etc. A good reputation is necessary to convince the Talan to stop production of resources, so the player is encouraged to be good to the Talan.
The AI used in Outcast was considered revolutionary at the time it was released.[8] It was based on a proprietary engine codenamed GAIA, for Game Artificial Intelligence with Agents, which was composed by a set of C++ libraries that provided sophisticated control of game characters based on research in distributed AI. Intelligence is represented as a distributed activity over a set of autonomous routines called agents. An agent uses skills, such as hearing, sight, acrobatic, to complete assigned tasks. These agents can interact and even compete with each other to realize a complex task.

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Now, I haven't actually got to playing them, but I've heard some praise to the Paradise Cracked

You must be fucking shittin' me. Why do you hate OP so much?

Is it that bad? I've heard different opinions.

It's russian rpg. It ALMOST made me hate everything turn-based back in the day. And I've always been extremely turn-based guy, so that might tell you something.

It's like Wasteland 2 that never ends combat mode. Even when there are no enemies around. Fucks, I'd rather play Metalheart if I were you, I'm absoloutely honest right now. The latter is kinda shitty too, but it's much more engaging that Paradise fkn Cracked.

Don't worry about translation. The plot was written by 5-year old anyway.

Slow James

Savant
It's not RPG, but the Dynamix adventure game "Rise of the Dragon" does a pretty cool job of hitting a Cyberpunk vibe instead of the post-Apocalyptic one seen in other future games.

Really one of the better adventure games I remember from back in the day, honestly, so if you like story and a fair bit of options, it can work like an RPG minus any form of stats, levels or (much) combat.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Isn't H: London a MMO? Looks pretty cool...

No, it's not. It does have multiplayer, and even some kind of server still exists. SP campaign is rather long. Just don't expect anything grand from plot or dialogues. It's filled with rather dumb humor.

I would suggest playing first person and using firearms. Then it's like Borderlands, only better at every single aspect. And pretty damn gothic too.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
The Precursors but actually - it's more like space sim, lot of freedom and RPG elements etc.
Neurohunter? Didn't played for long, taste like shovelware.
Planet Alcatraz is futuresque in later parts, when you need advanced weapons to finish it.
System Shock? But don't have RPG elements actually.

E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy - if you stomach translation (I liked it, just see modern english used by gamers or gangsta-wanna be), lack of sense and being WH40k ripoff.

Last edited:
Some people like Harbinger (for the setting/art I presume). I could never get past 2-3 hours of gameplay even back when it was fresh on release. Very basic ARPG hack 'n' slash wrapped in pretty packaging.

UXEcr5i.jpg

RDahoLA.jpg

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dunno what your beef is bro, Planet Alcatraz was quite tolerable as far as I played it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well he did point out that the last bit is futuristic.

I'm just wondering at your severe russian rpg PTSD.

Telengard

Arcane
GOOD
Centauri Alliance
Buck Rogers
Autoduel

ALL RIGHT
Shadowrun Returns
Mars Saga
Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Inception

GOOD FOR WHAT IT IS (but inspired setting)
BloodNet
Skyrealms of Jorune: Alien Logic
Anachronox

IFFY BUT SCI FI
Star Wolves
Star Trek: Away Team

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom