Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a 2D space roguelike/lite with soul

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

Fug

Educated

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Yeah, $34 is a bit much still, but I'm gonna do some research into it,

If you want to look for a 34$ discount in unsavory places which we do not speak of, believe me - I tried. You won't find dis game anywhere else. Demo is the only thing you can try for free.

Fug

Educated

If you want to look for a 34$ discount in unsavory places which we do not speak of, believe me - I tried. You won't find dis game anywhere else. Demo is the only thing you can try for free.
Yeah I have no intention of sailing the 7 seas for this game, I never do that for indie devs who actually deserve the money.

Fug

Educated
Space Rangers definitely has soul but god the combat is atrocious.

There is nothing you can do other then kite and missile spam.

StarSector has much better combat but not much of a soul or endgame for that matter.
Sounds similar to the combat in Sunless Sea. Great atmosphere and story, but the combat is absolute ass where all you can do is circle around enemies and shoot at them.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Void Expanse for the love of God. It has good combat. And more importantly, it has skill trees for the pilot and not just ship upgrades.

Yeah I have no intention of sailing the 7 seas for this game, I never do that for indie devs who actually deserve the money.
Dev is a douchebag who put limited online activations DRM on his $40 indie game. He doesn't deserve anyone's money.

Fug

Educated
That sounds pretty scummy, but how is the game itself? I dislike DRM but I can't blame the guy for trying to make money.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

This is generally a pretty good indication something isn't worth playing to begin with, let alone paying for.

Fug

Educated
Well apparently the guy uses limited-activation DRM, which makes sense why it isn't being pirated. Plus, it's a relatively unknown indie game, so I doubt it would be on sites.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Maybe this one? Star Nomad 2

Haven't tried myself but sounds interesting.

Plus there is this pretty neat Escape Velocity clone for free: Endless Sky

Star Nomad 2 looks good, thanks for the heads up.

Also since people keep saying FTL (which I never tried or probably ever will) there are two games that I think sound more appealing and are more rpg-oriented like it in EA now. Star Command Galaxies and Space Rogue.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Also, anyone that is shitty enough to pirate an indie dev's game is a huge piece of shit, especially when there is a demo. Fucking leeching fucks. I bet you fucking dickheads preorder FO4 and other console games but you pirate the games of the little guys plugging away.

hello friend

Arcane
FTL is gud, play it. With more than nonexistant worldbuilding and ship-swapping, some more stuff to do outside of combat, it could be very very good.

Void Expanse looks interesting.

I tried Out There, pretty disappointing. It's an inventory management/crafting game in space trappings.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
You played Halfway? It's not strictly roguelike, more like combat-centric turn-based rpg in spacey environment. It seemed good, but I didn't play it for long. Save-reload gameplay is not my cup of tea.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Any good ones? Something with that special magic - with good art, meaningful ship customisation options and strategy, fair to good worldbuilding, preferably turn based - doesn't have to be tho. And possible to get to run on Windows 7 with reasonably modest effort.

Uhm..... I'm sorry to even suggest it...

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/?

It's pretty lightweight, but it's fun. Sure, Real Time and all that jazz... and of course, it's not Roguelike (but you can screw up BIG TIME).

Sorry if you already played it.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Star Control II is obviously amazing and if OP hasn't played he must.

Anyway, I backed a Kickstarter project that might fit the bill and they just sent me an alpha key: Galactic Princess. I have no idea if it's any good; I've tried to back all the games similar to my Star Captain project just to twist the knife in myself. Anyway, if you're interested in it, lemme know and I'll send you the key. I don't really have time to play anything these days.

hello friend

Arcane
Star Control II
Woah. Looks like this might be the one.

Galactic Princess
Such an ugly game. Looks potentially fun, though it seems to rely heavily on one gimmick.

I've tried to back all the games similar to my Star Captain project just to twist the knife in myself.
:shredder:Why would you do that?

Anyway, I backed a Kickstarter project that might fit the bill and they just sent me an alpha key: Galactic Princess. I have no idea if it's any good; I've tried to back all the games similar to my Star Captain project just to twist the knife in myself. Anyway, if you're interested in it, lemme know and I'll send you the key. I don't really have time to play anything these days.
Very generous. I'm letting you know, thanks bro.

I'll post impressions in a few days, give or take.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Star Control II is one of the greatest games ever.

I'll PM you the key. RE: Star Captain -- if I can't create it, I might as well increase the odds someone else will.

kangaroodev

Educated
If it doesn't have to be turn based necessarily you should try Drox Operative, it's completely randomly generated and in space. Random missions, places and so on. It's not too 100% a roguelike but then again neither FTL is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom