Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking back, Obsidian was pretty much a subpar company

circ

Arcane
Aside from perhaps Empire Strikes back, KoToR 2 is the best star wars anything.
A game with no actual ending and 50% missing content and the rest nonsensical bullshit is the best SW game ever. Uhuh.

Empire at War - better. Shadows of the Empire - better. Jedi Knight - better. Dark Forces - better. Hell, KoTOR 1 - better. TIE Fighter - better. I could go on.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I couldn't agree more OP. South Park was ok though and I liked MOTB (could have been better), but mostly I don't like their games. And PoE is shit. They need to go write a bad book and stop trying to forcefeed it to people in their storyfag games. Without all that text distracting people, it would be clearer how shit the gameplay is.

Beastro

Arcane
A game with no actual ending and 50% missing content and the rest nonsensical bullshit is the best SW game ever. Uhuh.

Empire at War - better. Shadows of the Empire - better. Jedi Knight - better. Dark Forces - better. Hell, KoTOR 1 - better. TIE Fighter - better. I could go on.

Shadows was a clunky piece of shit. You played through the game so you could then choose the fun chapters and never have to play the awful ones again, which was pretty much every single non-vehicle chapter in the game.

It was a damn fun game in places with a interesting story that tried to be as original as a Star Wars story could get away with, but it was very much like getting a box of chocolates like Pot of Gold where you'd pick out the good pieces you loved and endured choking down the ones you hated because your parents wouldn't let you have any more treats until you finished the box you were on.

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

KOTOR 2 has the best writing of any Star Wars game ever. As games, though, I'd say Dark Forces 2 and Tie Fighter are better. Dark Forces 2 probably has my vote as the best Star Wars game ever because it captures the universe so wonderfully, but its storyline is pretty generic.

circ

Arcane

KOTOR 2 has the best writing of any Star Wars game ever. As games, though, I'd say Dark Forces 2 and Tie Fighter are better. Dark Forces 2 probably has my vote as the best Star Wars game ever because it captures the universe so wonderfully, but its storyline is pretty generic.
Peragia or Pelagia whatever is one of the worst starting areas ever designed, although Talus or whatever from the first one isn't much better. Unfortunately none of the areas in 2 aren't much of an improvement either. Kreia starts out different, which is good, and then the whole Nihilus and whatshisname plot emergest and it turns to shit. And Handmaiden - oh let me suck your dick masturbatory writing fantasy. What the fuck is that? Atleast the female rogue on Nar Shaddaa has more reasonable writing. The only thing is its dark side gameplay is handled better than just about any other SW game. But that said, the plot is a total drunken mess and when asked about its merits, fans always default to Kreia. Fuck Kreia, one character in an otherwise garbage game - who cares.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I unabashedly love Dark Forces 2's FMV, too. Such a wonderful, impractical, mid-90s relic. They completely jar with the game's engine, but I love them regardless.
Cheesy old FMVs of the 90's games have a certain charm to them, at least when they were "well" done like for example in Dark Forces 2. There was even a point (Tiberian Sun) where it seemed like they might NOT be cheesy and silly at some point, but in the end the whole concept faded away.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
gEwbdHu2_o.png

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Mods I need a storyfag rating.

I'm not sure anything that conveys that message sufficiently while remaining concise enough to fit into a button. Anyone, including the mods, is happy to prove me wrong.

gestalt11

Arbiter
They are not sub-par simply because most CRPGs nowadays are complete shit, so the fact that they have made a number of buggy incomplete messes and various contracted out sequels doesn't mean much in comparison.

Anyway what did anyone expect? Obsidian is doing exactly what I always expected. Troika made two RPGs I like a lot; Arcanum and Bloodlines. Both of those are buggy and problematic in gameplay and mechanics and the company went out of business, still not sub-par when current day par is apparently 20 strokes for the hole. Even at release Bloodlines was still pretty good even with all its problems. Is it a second coming of Deus Ex? No that is a better game and better made product. But Deus Ex is better than 99.9% of games in general.

Absinthe

Arcane
didn't FNV come out like 6 years ago? that is barely a twinkle in the eye.

for me you need at least 10+ years to begin saying something has "aged", especially when talking about RPGs!
Fallout 3 looked dated when it came out in late 2008. It was another case of making a 3D sequel with shit graphics and expecting people to like it just for being "updated" to 3D, except in this case it was also done by a completely different studio who had no idea wtf they were doing. People act like the 2000s were an era of shit graphics when in reality a lot of shit graphics were just shit studios without a fucking clue making bad shit. New Vegas (which came out in late 2010) also had to use the Fallout 3 engine, so they were pretty damn limited in what they could do. It was all a pile of dated graphics man, even on launch.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Mods I need a storyfag rating.

I'm not sure anything that conveys that message sufficiently while remaining concise enough to fit into a button. Anyone, including the mods, is happy to prove me wrong.
The rainbow book could work. Although I don't really like the storyfag term anyway because it is derogatory to gays who I don't care about. I would rather it be storybaby or something, a picture of a toddler getting read a bedtime story, because that is what I think of when I see people enjoying stories in games.

circ

Arcane
The term is meaningless anyway. No doubt there are good stories being told in videogames, say, Portal (original). But these people never go for those games. They go for the most pretentious, bronie-fedora-kin stories, straight out of fanfic.net or whatever. These are the people who store rotting twinkies in their livingrooms and might try necrophilia if only a funeral parlor or morgue would hire them.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nah Enjoyed enough out of Kotor2, MotB, FNW to forgive the shit from them like NWN2 vanilla, DS 3 or Pillows of Banality; sure their games were sequels but even as unfinished mess they were above their more polished prequels.

Tyranny proved to be fun too despite that in this point of time you expected and got ton of SJW propaganda. Still its four different games depending on choose your own adventure intro and so it was worth finishing for me at least once on the Legion path.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom