Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Long Play - Dark Souls

Perkel

Arcane
------------------------------------
Full playlist of all EPs
------------------------------------

I played DS in 2011 back then on nearly dead fat ps3 which Ylod every 2-3 days. I didn't menage to finish game (stopped after Nito) and back then there was no expansion for it.
So bought game on steam with expansion and i have also new (used) GPU i bought witch allows me for almost no performance loss recording of my Playtrough. If you want to know how to do it, you can use thread i made

So first of. I played earlier sword and board fighter so i wanted to do something different this time. I choose archer class with little malee (without investing a lot in STR). I don't know how it will work later in game so it could be shit.

So idea:

- Short movies (~1h max) which more or less will divide game into strict parts like undead burg or undead parish. So viewer can for example watch it with spare time like when you ear cereal in the morning.
- no fucking voiced commentary
- It is mostly Role-play. Which means i won't be using obvious shit like dragon sword cheese. Nor i will take best armor because it has +2 to defence instead of +1.
- As i played this in 2011 much of my memories are gone so expect sometimes shit like i am noob or something. This especially means going in wrong direction. Later after S&O i will be real noob since i didn't play much of that content.
- Absolutely no voiced commentary in videos. If anything i will post here written commentary for each episode or if i will not be laze i will write same stuff from here in subtitles so people watching it could simply switch it off on depending if they want to listen ramblings of idiot like me.
- I will try to submerge myself in lore. So this means that there will be no skipped dialogs i will often stop and see things like statues and shit.
- Mostly no cuts. I want it to be real Long Play where after i finish it, it should be proper evaluation of time spend playing this game. Naturally shit happens so there can be some occasional cut.
- NO GAMEFAQs and spoilers.
- I skip character creation. Starts as pyromancer for sl1, and take no gift.
- I play with DSfix, videos have 720p option on youtube.

So without further talking:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Long Play - Dark Souls - Part 001 - Intro
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I've always loved DS intro. It's kind of fairy tale or a myth like. YES "TEH DRAGUNZ" but it is imo interesting lorewise.

Basically dragons ruled over that world since its start. Then fire started change in that world. "They" i assume those are simply souls which were created with fire, found very powerful souls which changed into 3 lords. Nito "First of Unded" which represented undead, Gwyn which represented humans (?) and Izalith which was kind of representative of humans (?) but at same time She (?) created her own caste of pyromancers (which was her invention).Since dragons ruled that world those 3 opposed dragons soon to be joined by Seath which betrayed dragons. Those 4 and their armies won that battle and killed almost/all dragons.

After that "Age of Fire" started which gave people long time of peace in which they created civilization with Gwyn in center as king and ruler. That "Age of Fire" though is soon to be fading as like fire its not everlasting. People seems to live now in almost endless night, which probably means that more or less Sun rarely sets up on their sky. With that change in "nature" people started appearing with brand called "dark sign" which is to believed a curse of some sort.

This is where story begins.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long Play - Dark Souls - Part 002 - Undead Asylum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are one of those branded with "Dark Sign". People who are branded by that sign become undead. Undead are gathered and put into Undead Asylum in which they wait for "end of time"

Game like in Deamon's Souls starts with a bang. First fight is tough one and sends message to player,
that this games does not treat you like princess. You are weak and if you are not careful, you will die a lot.

We meet then first NPC. Knight which came here to fallow his family story about real purpose of undead. He dropped for us body with key to our prison, fought asylum demon on roof and feel into hole where he with his last breath give us booze and tells that we should go to Ancient Lords land to seek answer for our curse.

With death of Asylum Demon after we grabbed our first gear, we were set free from assylum and with help of some bigass Crow we set our journey to
Ancient Lords land.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long Play - Dark Souls - Part 003 - Undead Burg
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw Firelink Shrine more than few times and it always seems so serene. I find it perfectly capturing "feels" as from this point essentially game spreads like tree without signs telling you which way to go. In church there is nice statue of some sort parson with a baby.

Undead Burg captures that Deamon's Souls feeling you get reaching first castle in Boletaria. Rough, old, murky, wooden, mossy castle like maze of interiors connected with walls.

I also love design of Taurus Demon fight. Especially that animation you get when you block with shield its strong attack which fly you off with backflip.

Perkel

Arcane
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long Play - Dark Souls - Part 004 - Undead Parish
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tried to be smart, threw Allure Skul and i gone throu gate i switch my camera to see boar.
Fucking skull didn't work. Almost died there.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long Play - Dark Souls - Part 005 - Undead Parish Boss
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gargoyles fight is no way near Maneater fight from Deamons Souls.
Plently of space to move + Sunbro to help makes this fight really easy.
First Bell of Awakening rung

Perkel

Arcane
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long Play - Dark Souls - Part 006 - Lower Undead Burg + Boss
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After first bell, i go to Lower Undead Burg to meet my archnemesis. Two dogs and Capra. To my suprise playing as archer made that fight easiest
i ever had. I was basically standing on ledge spraying arrows. Suprisingly short sword due to its speed and thrust attack is superb to kill quickly dogs
before they will do any real damage.

Perkel

Arcane
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Long Play - Dark Souls - Part 007 - Depths
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Depths is one of my favorite places of DS1. Full of mystery, hiding places, secret passages and you never know what will be around corner.
Rat boss was super easy with bow.

Perkel

Arcane
Long Play - Dark Souls - Part 008 - Depths + Boss

Gaping Vagina Dragon is imo one of the best designed bosess in therm of look. It is quite easy boss especially with bow but it looks just awesome.
Naturally sunbro and lutrec helped me there. Though they died soon and i had to take a 2 minutes of silence after their honorable death.
They fought where i just sprayed my arrows.

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
To the right from chest with large ember behind a desk where butcher was standing is a dark hole in corner just jump down.

Perkel

Arcane
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Long Play - Dark Souls - Part 009 - Blightown
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blightown. My favorite place so far in DS. Sure that place was atrocious in PS3 version (due to horrible framerate) but playing it at 60 FPS feels totally different. Maze of platforms, good mix of different types of enemies, toxic introduction, finally poison itroduction to game, mosquitoes, good mix of exploration and combat with ton of nooks and crannies for hidden treasure to pickup. Naturally since game changes from flat ground to watch where you step ton of players have problems with that and putting it on list of things that were bad about DS. Especially poison. Same reason as ton of people say resistance stat is useless where if you put 5-7 point in that stat poison becomes a lot easier to deal with. Poison swamp also changes tactic of dexterity based builds since they can't roll away so easily.

Whole Blightown area is very different in all regions. Upper part is completely different to botom part and this feels like two distinctive regions than one. Those throwing rock dudes also are good design. They could as well put same club dudes but no they created especially for that part 5 dudes with rocks.

Perkel

Arcane
To the right from chest with large ember behind a desk where butcher was standing is a dark hole in corner just jump down.

You mean near butcher ? I guess boxes hidden it from me then. Still i would not probably use that as i rather not try jump into unknown places exposing myself to sometimes certain death. This is the same reason i didn't jump into those holes in sewers area.

Perkel

Arcane
Long Play - Dark Souls - Part 010 - Blightown Boss

Spider chick also feels completely different with bow than malee. Even without help she would be easy as hell as i wouldn't need to fear about her AoE attack or lava.
Her design is top grade stuff. I mean half spider chick with fire whip shooting lava at you.

Second Bell rings and big gate of Sen's Fortress is now open. I
vaguely remember this to be place where i died the most in my old game.

Perkel

Arcane
EDIT:
Oh dude, you played through Blighttown without using the Spider Shield... Dude.

That is why Resistance is not useless. Just few points give you: Ton of Poison resists, good fire resist and good bonus worth +1/+2 armor upgrade and two to all other resists. Also those toxic dudes are easily dispatched with bow.

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

You mean near butcher ? I guess boxes hidden it from me then. Still i would not probably use that as i rather not try jump into unknown places exposing myself to sometimes certain death. This is the same reason i didn't jump into those holes in sewers area.

I understand that i only jumped there because rubble in water looked inaccesible to me.

toroid

Arcane
EDIT:

That is why Resistance is not useless. Just few points give you: Ton of Poison resists, good fire resist and good bonus worth +1/+2 armor upgrade and two to all other resists. Also those toxic dudes are easily dispatched with bow.

Eh.. Resistance doesn't give you immunity to toxic and poison damage, Spider Shield does. It protects you from the toxic effects of the dart snipers, and the poison effect of the mosquitoes and the club wielding barbarians. I think it's one of the best shields in the game; it has a weight of 3, it does 100% physical damage reduction, and at +15 it has 70 stability (67 stability @+10).

EDIT:
And I noticed you didn't try to fight your way through the cluster of dart snipers who are guarding the
firekeeper's soul.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
EDIT:

Eh.. Resistance doesn't give you immunity to toxic and poison damage, Spider Shield does. It protects you from the toxic effects of the dart snipers, and the poison effect of the mosquitoes and the club wielding barbarians. I think it's one of the best shields in the game; it has a weight of 3, it does 100% physical damage reduction, and at +15 it has 70 stability (67 stability @+10).

Yeah but increased resistance to poison from resistance stat does two important things.

First it slows down build up of poison or toxic.
Secondly if you are poisoned or under toxic it lowers hp lost every tick.
And this is why Blightown for me was rather easy (in therm of poison/toxic stuff).

Without res at 15-16 you would have like 70-80 resistance to poison with it you have like 100-110 effectivily rendering both of them much easier to your health. Naturally like i mentioned you have also good fire res buff and medium armor buff.

toroid

Arcane
EDIT:

Yeah but increased resistance to poison from resistance stat does two important things.

First it slows down build up of poison or toxic.
Secondly if you are poisoned or under toxic it lowers hp lost every tick.
And this is why Blightown for me was rather easy (in therm of poison/toxic stuff).

Without res at 15-16 you would have like 70-80 resistance to poison with it you have like 100-110 effectivily rendering both of them much easier to your health. Naturally like i mentioned you have also good fire res buff and medium armor buff.

You could also get that increased resistance from an armor set instead and spend those points more efficiently in stats that would yield more full-time benefit. The Pyromancer's set gives very high resistance to poison. Even the Wanderer's set is better than what you had, and you find that as soon as you walk into Blighttown from the Depths. You can get resistance stats from armor exactly when you need them just by changing armor, and that frees up more points to be allocated into END or VIT that you might not have gotten otherwise.

Why is this turning into a talk about whether RES is a dump stat?

Perkel

Arcane

Because it is RPGcodex

codextrollface.png

To counter point what you said. Sure both of those sets probably give you good bonus to poison res. Problem is that you need to find them first.
I dropped my pyromancer suit at the start of LP. Also i don't really know where is Wanderer set. Which means i have only two option to counter poison. Either ton of moss or few points in res. Few points in res give me freedom to wear anything and not care that much about poison res and at same time it is worth like i said level or two armor upgrade+ good (20-30 worth of fire res).

edit:

I have more time today so probably i will be posting soon Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo part.

toroid

Arcane

Because it is RPGcodex

codextrollface.png

To counter point what you said. Sure both of those sets probably give you good bonus to poison res. Problem is that you need to find them first.
I dropped my pyromancer suit at the start of LP. Also i don't really know where is Wanderer set. Which means i have only two option to counter poison. Either ton of moss or few points in res. Few points in res give me freedom to wear anything and not care that much about poison res and at same time it is worth like i said level or two armor upgrade+ good (20-30 worth of fire res).

edit:

I have more time today so probably i will be posting soon Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo part.

Well, you obviously have your own way of going about this. I'll add a little more, though.

In the Souls games, From Software has a tendency to put the tools that you need in close proximity to where you'll need them.
For example: If you find the Wanderer set at the beginning of Blighttown then it's very likely that they intended for you to use it to help you get through Blighttown.

Secondly, for every point you put into RES, an invader is putting points into STR, DEX, END, VIT, INT, FTH, etc.. He's bolstering his PvP combat stats.
If you and an invader are both the same SL, and you put a few points into RES while he did not, then which of you is favored to win if all other things are considered equal?

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
From what i saw till now i dont think hes playing online. no invasions to worry about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom