Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Ventidius

Arbiter
Got back into DT2 last night. Had a lot of fun traversing Mostar Catacombs. The mutant fights seem super unbalanced, compared to the rest of game. Feels like rng whether multiple party members get ohko'd.

As Dorarnae says, doing the quests and optional dungeons helps a lot. Besides that, enchanting your gear also gives you a significant edge. As for party comp, Valkyrie, Witch, Bishop and Etoile form a tight combo. Last slot could be anything, and Dark Lord is an easy choice. That said, Papillon is very good too, even if they don't quite come into their own until post-game. Rose Queen is a great non-elemental AoE that doesn't require chanting, which, paired up with the Papillon's speed, makes the latter great for non-boss encounters. Plus, they have a nice delay attack, and good survivability through skills like Insurance. That said, if you are satisfied with your Witch's group clearing abilities you can probably skip it.

The consensus around which character is best for Witch is that Fiora is, mostly for her unique skill, as mentioned above. That said, I went with Eltricia the first time around and she worked great, her unique is not bad at all.

duanth123

Arcane
Got back into DT2 last night. Had a lot of fun traversing Mostar Catacombs. The mutant fights seem super unbalanced, compared to the rest of game. Feels like rng whether multiple party members get ohko'd.

Ready to start Prisoners of the Battles! :D The music themes in town are beautiful.

You should learn to just flat out run away from some fights, particularly for post-game, where you can easily get curb-stomped as you describe.

I would just stop and grind a bit, try out the different classes. It will give you a leg up in levels for the real dungeon crawling.

God I love DT2 so much.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Yikes, looks like a disaster. Autobattles in real time, random dungeons, computer generated voices for all characters, and it looks like it was machine translated.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Yeah, playing Elminage games really makes you appreciate how utterly perfect the classic Wizardry formula is due to its simplicity and its capacity for modulation and iteration; it ends up being an almost endless gameplay blueprint, malleable but with a rock-solid foundation.

Don't understand why don't devs properly implement it, at least on PC. All those DS and Switches have their Etryan Odysseys and stuff and those look OK. But even that Elminage on PC looks and feels like a phone game port. Really remaking Wizardry looks like a no-brainer to me as the game logic is simple enough for it to be remade with any amount of effort a publisher would desire.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Basically weaboo console kiddies are more hardcore than the current crop of the core PC audience, according to western developers (which tells you all you need to know about western developers)

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
"It's like DARK SOULS hard and no saves, but it's DIVINITY 2 and XCOM, and - wait for it! - it's FIRST-PERSON, none of that nerd isometric view. It's also an established franchise". Can't you sell this idea to publisher? They somehow did it with Might & Magic and secretly made Wizardry game out of it. You also have a lot of more or less successful indie DRPGs.

It's not like you don't have hardcore games that sell by the millions.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
One idea i've been kicking around is:

- Ok, you know EX-Skills concept/implementation in Elminage: Gothic?

- Make a bunch more with varied and wild effects and make them "Perks" that classes gain access to while levelling up!

Simple thing that would really open things up further without radically changing shit.

Twizman

Scholar
Just witnessed the power of the Witch class in DT2. First Grishna removed Girimekhala's defensive buffs with Aura Eliminate, then Lucy cast Loose Spirit and Muon Plasma for 1.1k Lightning damage, and her passive triggered for 2.2k to end the battle :D

Ysaye

Arbiter
I was wondering if anyone has attempted to play Students of the Round recently using on original systems (PSP or XBox360) in recent times? if so, is it any good? Would it be possible/worthwhile to play in Japanese without knowing the language?

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I was wondering if anyone has attempted to play Students of the Round recently using on original systems (PSP or XBox360) in recent times? if so, is it any good? Would it be possible/worthwhile to play in Japanese without knowing the language?

I played it on psp. it's nice with added voice acting. you might miss on the story since it's a focus of the game. also I think there's one place or two where you have to answer some riddle by entering the words.
the balancing in the game felt weird though, my mage was OP while my melee character weren't doing much dmg against boss and if you play on easy you can pretty much 2-3 turn each boss with union skill.
Would be nice if the game had a proper remake, the atmosphere in the game was nice. but now with stranger of sword city which used a couple song from student of round(and is a much better game gameplay wise), I kind of feel that student of round feel less special.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
So I got Mary Skelter 2 tonight with all the lewd shit the limited edition comes with...then I start the game and couple minutes later I asked myself: 'why I did this' lol.

oh well here some music at least:

Dorarnae

Arbiter
it's not a first person dungeon crawler, it's a roguelike, but damn I like this game, the music...dunno if it's me but this game doesn't seem all that popular and it's personally my favorite roguelike so far.

Repressed Homosexual
Yeaaaah I finally beat Wizardry Proving grounds for the first time!
It's amazing how well that game has aged. Very good level design.

I'm not too encouraged about the next two ones honestly.

Especially the third which is like "Hey I know! Let's restrict levels to alignments to boost playing time required!" What a stupid gimmick.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Third one has some especially good dungeons. The alignment thing barely factors into it, and when it does it is always to the game's benefit.

One thing I especially liked about Scenario 3 is that they chose to make Secret Doors randomly visible depending on what tile you stepped on, which made it really cool to be "tricked" by flashing pathways or doors from the corner of your eye only to have it disappear when you turned or stepped!

I wish they had kept that, I really do as I found it much more engrossing to be able to actively find a Secret Door via your own wits than having it only show up under the effect of a spell.

A note about Scenario 3 is that it was mostly made by a group of Greenwood's friends from his D&D gaming group that he met in college, which is why it featured stuff like alignment-dependent areas and the decision to change how secret doorways functioned. I find that Scenario 3 maps are very well made as well, and I think a lot of thought went into them.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I actually prefer scenario 3 than 2. 3 has a some optional stuff and there's a way to make good exp at one point, so it isn't too bad.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
A note about Scenario 3 is that it was mostly made by a group of Greenwood's friends from his D&D gaming group that he met in college, which is why it featured stuff like alignment-dependent areas and the decision to change how secret doorways functioned. I find that Scenario 3 maps are very well made as well, and I think a lot of thought went into them.
Andy Greenberg's friends, Robert Woodhead's friends, or both? :M

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
What a bad sorcery is this! Somebody must separate first seven wizardrys from animu fap bait abominations:mob:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom