Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Hengki Kusuma Adi

Anyone played Wizardry V (SNES) with this patch? http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2866/

Also, anyone have played any English fan translated Wizardry Games on any homebrew emulators (e.g. Nintendo 3DS, PSP)?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i've played and finished:

- wizardry empire 1 (windows pc, half-translated by me, waiting for helly to translate the npc dialog so i can finish it)
- wiz empire 2 (windows pc, done by mrrichard999 and helly), playing through wiz gaiden 4 (snes, done by richard, helly and tons of others)
- wiz empire 3 (psp, translated half the game, then passed it on to richard and helly to finish it)

currently playing through:

- wiz gaiden 4 (snes, done by richard and helly and tons of other people)
- wiz chronicle (windows pc, done by richard and helly)
- wiz empire 2: game boy version (gbc, done by richard)

currently translating:

- elminage 2 (psp, doing it alone, using google to translate everything as i can't be arsed to wait for anyone to help me out)
- elminage 3 (same as above)

as a personal project:

- playing through for 4th time elminage: gothic the 3DS remix version. i have more than half the game translated by brute-forcing the english-language files from the pc version into the 3ds rom.

the wizardry 5 (snes) translation patch you mention i know of it but have never ever seen the need to use it as the official localized version that capcom released is 100% fine as is; plus the fact that i think the ps1 version is a closer experience to the original DOS port (though neither the DOS nor the snes/ps1 versions are 1:1 with the original, original Apple II release).

EDIT: empire 3, empire 2 gb and wiz gaiden 4 i am playing/played all of them on emulators. gothic 3ds remix as well. (don't own a 3ds).

(don't own a psp either, so the same applies for elminage 2 and 3).

Gamerhenky

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
no... lost my empire 2 save a long while ago during a reformat, so i'm planning on just finishing it again with a fresh party made specifically for the purpose of post-game. just haven't gotten around to it. i spend a lot of my free time chipping away at the elminage psp games translating bits and pieces, and when not doing that i'm enjoying playing gothic again for now.

empire 2's post-game is really the one to consider though; empire 1 and 3 only have 1 extra floor in the temple of the gods (not an extra "area" like empire 2 does, and neither 1 nor 3 feature supremely OP gods/bosses like empire 2 does).

once helly eventually passes over the empire 1 dialog and i hack it into the game i'm fully planning on playing through it again though with a fresh party, post-game included.

don't think i'll ever be bored enough to do empire 3's extra floor though. there isn't even a post-game boss! just a statue at the end of a long spiral layout that congratulates you on behalf of starfish for enjoying wizardry. the statue gives you XP, heh. it's really obvious they made empire 3 on a shoe-string budget and under (apparently) dire straits, as the game is so small in every category when compared to empire 1 and 2.

thank god elminage (apparently) saved their asses right afterwards.

btw, Dorarnae , you'd said before that the 3ds remix of gothic's "remixed" floor layouts stopped with the early dungeons, but i'm steamrolling thru the underground church right now and the 1st floor is completely different.

(they simplified the warps and made it easier to navigate...). ice cave also features a slightly different layout for the 2nd floor (again, "easier" to navigate). not saying i approve of the changes just wanted to mention that it's not just the first 3 dungeons changed.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
heh, there's a new sword called a Leaf Blade that's a rare drop in basement floor 2 of the Great Tree dungeon (although, 'rare' means i already have 3 of them...) that's for goblin race only (although of course that can smithed away) and this thing is so hilariously OP...

3 accuracy, 2 hits-per-attack, and does same DMG as the 2-handed weapons available around that time. it's 1-handed, ofc, for extra OP-ness.

The new items are nice but stupidly OP for when they drop. The only good, sensible change they introduced, as i've mentioned many times before, was giving a lot of the game's accessory items an Accuracy bonus, which helps the non-Martial classes out a *lot* when using attacks, and introduces a slight flavor of juggling between accuracy/defense that was present in empire 1-3.

(remember, in empire games armor pieces affected thaco, and the more defense they granted usually the rule was the heavier the thaco penalty, which i think is a fantastic way of making armor more interesting than simply going for lowest AC possible always).

EDIT: One question i have that i've found no answer for is whether or not the Accuracy modifiers on the accesories (and on some armor pieces) "stack" or whether only the highest one is applied.

i'm guessing it's probably the highest one, which would follow the rules of enchanting, but...

weapons already have an accuracy mod, and they now introduced an accuracy number for certain armor pieces, so OBVIOUSLY they're meant to stack with the weapon's accuracy number, which does give credence to them ALL stacking.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
no... lost my empire 2 save a long while ago during a reformat, so i'm planning on just finishing it again with a fresh party made specifically for the purpose of post-game. just haven't gotten around to it. i spend a lot of my free time chipping away at the elminage psp games translating bits and pieces, and when not doing that i'm enjoying playing gothic again for now.

empire 2's post-game is really the one to consider though; empire 1 and 3 only have 1 extra floor in the temple of the gods (not an extra "area" like empire 2 does, and neither 1 nor 3 feature supremely OP gods/bosses like empire 2 does).

once helly eventually passes over the empire 1 dialog and i hack it into the game i'm fully planning on playing through it again though with a fresh party, post-game included.

don't think i'll ever be bored enough to do empire 3's extra floor though. there isn't even a post-game boss! just a statue at the end of a long spiral layout that congratulates you on behalf of starfish for enjoying wizardry. the statue gives you XP, heh. it's really obvious they made empire 3 on a shoe-string budget and under (apparently) dire straits, as the game is so small in every category when compared to empire 1 and 2.

thank god elminage (apparently) saved their asses right afterwards.

btw, Dorarnae , you'd said before that the 3ds remix of gothic's "remixed" floor layouts stopped with the early dungeons, but i'm steamrolling thru the underground church right now and the 1st floor is completely different.

(they simplified the warps and made it easier to navigate...). ice cave also features a slightly different layout for the 2nd floor (again, "easier" to navigate). not saying i approve of the changes just wanted to mention that it's not just the first 3 dungeons changed.

the church dungeon should be the last dungeon that is modified.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
heh, there's a new sword called a Leaf Blade that's a rare drop in basement floor 2 of the Great Tree dungeon (although, 'rare' means i already have 3 of them...) that's for goblin race only (although of course that can smithed away) and this thing is so hilariously OP...

3 accuracy, 2 hits-per-attack, and does same DMG as the 2-handed weapons available around that time. it's 1-handed, ofc, for extra OP-ness.

The new items are nice but stupidly OP for when they drop. The only good, sensible change they introduced, as i've mentioned many times before, was giving a lot of the game's accessory items an Accuracy bonus, which helps the non-Martial classes out a *lot* when using attacks, and introduces a slight flavor of juggling between accuracy/defense that was present in empire 1-3.

(remember, in empire games armor pieces affected thaco, and the more defense they granted usually the rule was the heavier the thaco penalty, which i think is a fantastic way of making armor more interesting than simply going for lowest AC possible always).

EDIT: One question i have that i've found no answer for is whether or not the Accuracy modifiers on the accesories (and on some armor pieces) "stack" or whether only the highest one is applied.

i'm guessing it's probably the highest one, which would follow the rules of enchanting, but...

weapons already have an accuracy mod, and they now introduced an accuracy number for certain armor pieces, so OBVIOUSLY they're meant to stack with the weapon's accuracy number, which does give credence to them ALL stacking.

stealing is what makes the 3ds version fun to play, also being able to redo any boss in the game.

Courtier

Prophet
KNIGHT OF DIAMONDS beaten, and with that I have won the LLYLGAMYN TRILOGY
i5IK1pW.png

You can import your characters seemingly as usual, but unlike the original game, they do not keep their levels. Just like with the original 2 to 3 transition, your characters are now descendants of your old party and start at first level. B1F has been rebalanced to be for level 1 characters (and *only* B1F, so the rest of the dungeon is still as brutally difficult/for a higher level party)

Exploring B1F of the ruins beneath the temple of GNILDA, a huge apparition appears:

5Dpfjvv.png

In Wizardry 2, the objective is to gain the five pieces of the gear of the Knight of Diamonds and return them to the temple to mollify the earth goddess Gnilda.

86rj92c.png

Hello old friend.................

bj3CsRu.png

You have to find many keys and badges and trade them with NPCs in order to progress.

knzIrTM.png

cSQa1UN.png

On each floor, you will eventually stumble across a piece of the armor of the K.O.D. - it attacks!

iCR8Aw5.png

On B4F, there seem to be anti-magic zones. Your spells fizzle, and even trying to heal poison with a potion fails. This makes the frequent scorpion encounters very dangerous.

PZ6c2gy.png

......What actually happens though, is that whenever you step on a tile that generates the above message, your magic is blocked until you leave the level. No zones at all.

XKDk3FS.png

....The armor pieces are strong as fuck. It's like fighting WERDNA's brothers:

6DnOP2W.png

tL3kJAM.png

Defeating them allows you to pick them up and equip them. This makes your guys nearly invincible:

L53GY61.png

....The shield allows you to use DIALMA without breaking, giving you infinite healing, and the gauntlets allow you to cast TILTOWAIT an unlimited number of times.

Though by the time you get them, you won't need them overmuch.

3cevd1B.png

la1850R.png

B5F - Our journey is almost over.

OufYZNE.png

Hory shet
THflxKy.png

Here we find the last piece, the gauntlets. They like to TILTOWAIT you to death.

BLhhAlQ.png

Now here is where it gets slightly different: In the original, one person had to bring the five pieces back to B1F in order to receive the STAFF. Here, our hero must not only bring them all to B6F (and be able to survive the journey or know MALOR), but also have every single one equipped or anger Gnilda.

lKS6vv7.png

So a volunteer changes classes to equip the artifacts and teleports down...

9loRTOi.png

The avatar appears!

WdwGOAs.png

Gxy3elX.png

QMFUO6D.png

.......THE STAFF

0v7fCiS.png

Our hero is transported back up to B1F..........

hcA0sta.png

....and returns triumphantly

mzWN3D6.png

Uqs2mgX.png

WCyW7B4.png

BONUS: If you come to B6F without all pieces equipped....

cRbo49D.png

And your character is killed.

I already patched a JP rom with the uncensored fan translation of Wiz V bros, CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP

Hengki Kusuma Adi

Remember it… Especially on Japanese Nintendo's console remake of Llylgamyn Trilogy (FC, GBC, SNES), the sequels are very awkward, they reversed both Knight of Diamonds and Legacy of Llylgamyn.

Original Version:
Wizardry II: Knight of Diamonds
Wizardry III: Legacy of Llylgamyn

Japanese Nintendo Version:
Wizardry II: Legacy of Llylgamyn
Wizardry III: Knight of Diamonds

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Courtier

found this today while browsing the japanese wikia site for wizardry "boltac's gift shop", inside his links section (the content i'm pasting is a faq from zimlab.com)

everything here applies the same way to wiz 5 (this data is from wiz 1-3), and the vast majority of the way these formulas work themselves out also function almost exactly the same way in both wiz-empire and in Elminage.

not mentioned here but for wizardry gaiden 4 (and 6 as well, and 7...) the off-hand sub-weapon, if dual-wielding, will always utilize 50% of the character's total accuracy modifier (char's strength bonus from str, which applies to both the thaco/accuracy and to the damage dealt + the weapon's thaco/accuracy modifier, for example a longsword has "4", while a katana has "3", and this number gets subtracted)-- and the sub-weapon uses 50% of the char's max total swings (char's class + weapon + char's level), and it will use 50%.

in wiz 1-5 max # of swings is capped at 10, elminage 1-3 it's capped at 10 as well (orath can raise it to 12 if i remember correctly), and in e: Gothic it's capped at 10 for 1-handed wepaons and 10 + weapon's # of swings modifier (hard-cap of 20 swings regardless of weapon/spells in use).

in wiz-empire luck affects what tier of chest will appear after a fixed enemy encounter along with everything else luck affects (minor 1's and 2's in almost every situation).

snes versions of wiz 1-3 include thief's hide/ambush ability, which is not in the originals and it's not in ps1 versions; something i had completely overlooked. this means i now prefer the SNES versions of wiz 1-3 100%. (thief's hide/ambush was introduced in wiz 5).

game boy color remakes of wiz 1-3, btw, feature around 20-25 new, completely new weapons, armors, helms, etc (in total i mean). I was not aware of this! gbc remakes also take after the snes version's decision to include thief's hide/ambush ability (this ability can be disable for "purity" if desired in snes/gbc versions inside options menu).

it almost makes me want to play through the GBC versions of wiz 1-3, because there are a LOT of new items in all 3 games and even a bonus floor (called EX Dungeon) tucked away inside scenario 3. i tried finding maps/info about the GBC version's ex dungeon floor but alas, internet has nothing.

sega saturn version of wiz 1-3, btw, also features an ex dungeon, something i again... was completely unaware of! it does not appear in ps1 versions of wiz 1-3.

however the saturn version doesn't feature any new items so whatever, who cares, right? whole point of dungen clearing is getting that sweet, sweet loot. again, tried finding info/maps of the saturn remakes' ex dungeon but... nothing.

Courtier

found this today while browsing the japanese wikia site for wizardry "boltac's gift shop", inside his links section (the content i'm pasting is a faq from zimlab.com written by snarfu)
Wizardry 1-2-3 Game Code Calculations and Formulas
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By: Snafaru

E-mail: snafaru@zimlab.com

Web site: http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/

Created: 2013/09/22.

Updated: 2016/10/24, 2017/02/09.

Source codes:
- 1. From the Pascal (and assembler) source code files and generated listings for Wizardry_I, Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord, made by Thomas William Ewers on June 15th, 2014, and available on the Asimov site at ftp: // ftp. Apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/rpg/wizardry/wizardry_I/
- 2. From the Pascal (and assembler) source code files and generated listings for Wizardry 3, Legacy of Llylgamyn, made by Thomas William Ewers on March 27, 2012, and available on the Asimov site at ftp: //ftp.apple.asimov .net / pub / apple_II / images / games / rpg / wizardry / wizardry_ III /

Note: The information below is what you will not you already find in the game manual.

Section 1: Character Statistics / Attributes
Section 2: Combat
Section 3: Spells
Section 4: Monsters
Section 5: Experience, Treasures and Traps

Section 1: Character Statistics / Attributes
------------------------------------------

* Your characters' names can be between 1 to 15 characters long.

* The available points to distribute between your Statistics / Attributes when creating your character goes as follows:
- It is (7 + (RANDOM 0 to 3)) with a 10% chance to add another 10 points as long as you are total points are below 20, therefore the maximum points is 29.

* The younger you are the more chances you will gain attributes when leveling up (Strength, IQ, Piety, Vitality, Agility, Luck) when leveling up (ex: 86% at age 18). Here's how it works:
- First, there's a 75% chance your attribute will be modified.
- If you are lying, you are lone, you are an 83% chance nothing will happen, if your attribute is less than 18 then you lose 1 Attribute point, if your Vitality drops to 2, your are dead.
- If your age is higher than the random roll indicated in the previous line, then you gain 1 attribute point up to 18 maximum.

* If you change class, your character ages by ((52 * (RANDOM 0 to 2)) + 252) weeks.

* The higher you IQ (Mage Spells) and Piety (Priest Spells), the higher your chance learn spells. Your chance to learn each unknown spell at the level you are allowed to your ability (IQ or Piety each> (RANDOM 0 To 29)).

* Your characters' Vitality has an effect on how many hit points are gained per level:
- Vitality 3: -2 hit points per level.
- Vitality 4, 5: -1 hit points per level.
- Vitality 16: +1 hit points per level.
- Vitality 17: +2 hit points per level.
- Vitality 18: +3 hit points per level.

* Also, the higher your Vitality the higher the chances you will survive a resurrection attempt, see the spells section.

* The following are the starting hit points per class:
- Fighter, Lord is (50% chance of (10 + Vitality Modifier)) or (50% chance of (9 * (10 + Vitality Modifier) / 10))).
- Priest is (50% chance of (8 + Vitality Modifier)) or (50% chance of (9 * (8 + Vitality Modifier) / 10))).
- Thief, Bishop, Ninja is (50% chance of (6 + Vitality Modifier)) or (50% chance of (9 * (6 + Vitality Modifier) / 10))).
- Mage is (50% chance of (4 + Vitality Modifier)) or (50% chance of (9 * (4 + Vitality Modifier) / 10))).
- Samurai is (50% chance of (16 + Vitality Modifier)) or (50% chance of (9 * (16 + Vitality Modifier) / 10))).
In all cases the minimum is 2.

* The following are the base hit points gained per level per class, which is then modified by your Vitality (Minimum 1 after Vitality modifier):
- Fighter, Lord gain 1 to 10 base hit points per level on average.
- Priest, Samurai gain 1 to 8 base hit points per level on average.
- Thief, Bishop, Ninja gain 1 to 6 base hit points per level on average.
- Mage gain 1 to 4 base hit points per level on average.

* Each character starts at ((18 * 52) + (RANDOM 0 to 299)) weeks old.

* Each character starts with (90 + (RANDOM 0 to 99)) gold.

* At the Temple of Cant, the resurrect chance is (50 + 3 x Vitality)% if dead or (40 + 3 x Vitality)% if ashes, the character Ages by 1 to 52 weeks.

* At the Temple of Cant it costs you to cure your characters' condition:
- Paralyzed: (100 * Character Level) gold.
- Stoned: (200 * Character Level) gold.
- Dead: (250 * Character Level) gold.
- Ashes: (500 * Character Level) gold.

Section 2: Combat
-----------------

* Initiative, or if you prefer whom goes first in a battle.
For each of your characters it is ((RANDOM 0 to 9) + Agility Modifier):
- Agility 3: + 3 Initiative
- Agility 4, 5: + 2 Initiative
- Agility 6, 7: +1 Initiative
- Agility 15: -1 Initiative
- Agility 16: -2 Initiative
- Agility 17: -3 Initiative
- Agility 18: -4 Initiative
For each of the monsters it is a random number of ((RANDOM 0 to 8) + 2).
For either characters or monsters the highest is 1 and the lowest is 10 (1 goes first).
On equality characters go before monsters.

* The Fighter, Samurai, and Lord get 1 extra attack for every 5 levels. Some Napkins has one extra swing on which which means means any Level 1 Ninja starts with 2 swings. Other classes have only one swing at all levels. Inherently provide more swings, this is why getting a Long Sword + 2 early for example 3 swings by default. The number of swings is the maximum between your weapon's inherent characteristics or what your characters' level offer, conety they Indeed do not add up together. The overall maximum number of swings is 10.

* Fighter, Priest, Samurai, Lord, Ninja have a naturally higher hit probability than other classes. Here's the code, HPCALCMD means Hit Probability Calculation Modifier:
IF (CLASS = PRIEST) OR
(CLASS = FIGHTER) OR
(CLASS> = SAMURAI) THEN
HPCALCMD: = 2 + CHARLEV DIV 3
ELSE
HPCALCMD: = CHARLEV DIV 5;

* All unarmed character classes do (1 d 2 + 1 d 2) damage per swing except the Ninja whom does (1 d 4 + 1 d 4) per swing plus the Strength bonus or penalty. For example an unarmed level 1 Ninja with 18 Strength would have 2 swings doing (( 1 d 4 + 1 d 4) + 3) damage each for a potential of 22 damage total per round.

The Ninja's AC (Amour Class) = (10 - (Ninja Level / 3) - 2). (Ninja Level / 3) part is rounded down. The -2 here is a good thing.

Then the monster has ((Monster Level + 10) <(RANDOM 0 to 34) * If a Ninja hits with damage, then Ninja has (2 * Level)% chance up to a maximum of 50% chance to score a )) Chance to avoid it, which means a monster over Level 23 can not be Critically Hit.

* Your characters' Strength has an effect on the hit chance probability and damage per swing:
- Strength 3: -15% chance to hit, -3 damage per swing
- Strength 4: -10% chance to hit, -2 damage per swing
- Strength 5: -5% chance to hit, -1 damage per swing
- Strength 16: + 5% chance to hit, +1 damage per swing
- Strength 17: + 10% chance to hit, +2 damage per swing
- Strength 18: + 15% chance to hit, +3 damage per swing
So, for example, for each combat turn your Level 10 Ninja with a Strength of 18 can do 12 extra damage points total with his 4 swings, all of it with 15% more chance to hit, this is significant.

* If a character or monster is sleeping or held then they take double damage!

* When your weapon is purposed vs. a certain type of monster you do double damage to it!

* Priests, Bishops and Lords have the ability to dispel undead monsters back to their plane:
- They have ((50 + (5 * Character Level)) - (10 * Monster Level))% chance to succeed on each monster of a group.
- The Bishop has this ability beginning at level 4 but with 20% less chance to succeed.
- The Lord has this ability beginning at level 9 but with 40% less chance to succeed.

* Resistances:
- vs. Poison & Paralysis & Critical Hit: Fighter 15%, Samurai 10%, Lord 10%, Ninja 15%, and if race is Human 5%.
- vs. Stoning: Priest 15%, Bishop 10%, Lord 10%, Ninja 10%, and if race is Gnome 10%.
- vs. Breath Attacks: Bishop 10%, Ninja 20%, and if race is Elf 10% to reduce the Breath damage by half.
- vs. Poison Gas chest trap: Thief 15%, Ninja 15%, and if race is Dwarf 20%.
- vs. Anti - Mage and Anti - Priest chest trap and Silence: Mage 15%, Bishop 10%, Samurai 10%, Ninja 10%, and if race is Hobbit 15%.
- vs. all of the above: add 5% for every 5 Levels of your character.
- vs. all of the above: add 5% if your Luck is 6, 10% if your Luck is 12, and 15% if your Luck is 18.
The overall maximum resistance is 95%.

* Once a character is poisoned, there is 25% chance each round while combat or each maze movement that the poison will take effect.

* If a character does not resist a Critical Hit (see Resistances above), then the character still has another (Character Level * 2)% chance up to a maximum of 50% chance to avoid being Critically Hit.

* In Wizardry 1 there is a 1 in 2000 chance a good character will turn evil if the party fights a group of Friendly monsters.

* In Wizardry 1 an evil party never encounters Friendly monsters.

* In Wizardry 3 there is a 5% chance a good character will turn evil if the party fights a group of Friendly monsters.

* In Wizardry 3 there is a 5% chance an evil character will turn good if the party does not fight a group of Friendly monsters.

* Each round each character has (IQ + Piety + Level)% chance of correctly identifying one group of monsters.

Section 3: Spells
-----------------

PRIEST SPELLS

* MILWA: Light for (15 + (RANDOM 0 - 14)) turns.

* MANIFO: A character or monster has (50 + (10 * Level))% chance to resist Manifo (Hold).

* MONTINO: A monster has (10 * Monster Level)% chance to resist Montino (Silence).

* LOMILWA: Light for 32,000 turns.

* CALFO: 95% chance to identify a chest trap.

* DI or KADORTO: The resurrect chance is (4 x Vitality)% of the recipient.

* BADI: A character or monster has (10 * Level)% chance to avoid being slain.

* LOKTOFEIT: Has (2 * Character Level)% chance of succeeding (Teleport back to Castle during combat).

MAGE SPELLS

* KATINO: A character or monster has (20 * Level)% chance of not being slept.

* MAKANITO: Undead are unaffected. Monsters level 8 or above are unaffected.

* LAKANITO: Each monster has (6 * Level)% chance of not being smothered.

* ZILWAN: Does (10d 200) damages to an Undead monster, in other words that's adding 10 rolls of a random number between 1 and 200 damages.

* TILTOWAIT: Does (10d15) damages to all monsters (the game manual wrongly lists it as (10d10) damages), in other words that's adding 10 rolls of a random number between 1 and 15 damages.

* HAMAN and MAHAMAN: On a roll of (RANDOM 0 to Character Level) = 5 the caster will unlearn some spells. The following message will be displayed "But his spell books are mangled!

* HAMAN For Wizardry 1 has 3 possible effects:
1. "DIALKO'S PARTY 3 TIMES" - cures Afraid, Asleep, Paralysis, Stoning, Silence, and Heals each character for (9 * ((RANDOM 0 to 7) +1)) Hit points.
2. "ZAPS MONSTER MAGIC RESISTANCE!" - the first 3 groups of monsters can not make a saving throw against damaging spells.
3. "HEALS PARTY!" - cures Afraid, Asleep, Paralysis, Stoning, Silence, and restores all Hit Points.

* MAHAMAN For Wizardry 1 has 3 possible effects:
1. "DIALKO'S PARTY 3 TIMES" - cures Afraid, Asleep, Paralysis, Stoning, Silence, and Heals each character for (9 * ((RANDOM 0 to 7) +1)) Hit points.
2. "SILENCES MONSTERS!" - silences the first 3 groups of monsters for ((5 + (RANDOM 0 to 4)) rounds.
3. "DESTROYS MONSTERS!" - all monsters' Status = Dead and Hit Points = 0.

* HAMAN For Wizardry 3 has 5 possible effects:
1. "CURE THE PARTY" - cures Afraid, Asleep, Paralysis, Stoning conditions.
2. "SILENCE THE MONSTERS" - silences the first 3 groups of monsters for ((5 + (RANDOM 0 to 4)) rounds.
3. "MAKE MAGIC MORE EFFECTIVE" - the first 3 groups of monsters can not make a saving throw against damaging spells and are thereafter treated as being Level 1 for other calculations regarding the spells.
4. "TELEPORT THE MONSTERS" - all monsters' Status = Dead and Hit Points = 0.
5. "HEAL THE PARTY" - restores all Hit Points.

* MAHAMAN For Wizardry 3 has all of the HAMAN effects above plus 2 new possible effects:
6. "PROTECT THE PARTY" - each character's AC = -10 unless it is even better (lower).
7. "REANIMATE CORPSES!" - cures Afraid, Asleep, Paralysis, Stoning, Death, Ashes conditions.

RECUPERATION FROM SPELL EFFECTS

* Monster have (20 * Monster Level)% or up to 50% maximum chance to recuperate from sleep spells.

* Monster have (10 * Monster Level)% or up to 50% maximum chance to recuperate from fear spells.

* Monster have (7 * Monster Level)% or up to 50% maximum chance to recuperate from paralyzing (hold) spells.

* Characters have (10 * Character Level)% or up to 50% maximum chance to recuperate from sleep spells.

* Characters have (5 * Character Level)% or up to 50% maximum chance to recuperate from fear spells.

Section 4: Monsters
-------------------

* You will encounter a maximum of 2 monster groups on maze level 1, a maximum of 3 on level 2, and up to 4 on level 4 and beyond.

* You will encounter a maximum of 5 monsters per monster group on level 1, 6 on level 2, 7 on level 3, 8 on level 4, and 9 beyond.

* Each character has (IQ + Piety + Level)% chance to correctly identify monsters.

* When an encounter occurs you have a 20% of surprising the monsters, if you have not surprised them, then the monsters get a 20% chance of surprising you.

If ((RANDOM 0 to 199)> (10 * Monster Level), it is not possible to change the capability to call for help. ) No help will come.

If you resist (see Resistances above), you character takes 1/2 damage. If you have equipment of protecting you from breath weapons then Your character takes 1/2 damage.

* The monsters' magic resistance against damaging spells is a saving throw versus their Magic Resistance% attribute which is for most a low number.

* The monsters that have resistances to FIRE and COLD elements take only 1/2 damage when hit from such damaging spells.

* Spell casting monsters have 75% chance to do so in their turn.

Section 5: Experience, Treasures and Traps
------------------------------------------

* To inspect or disarm a trap your character's status has to be "OK".

* The Thief has (6 * Agility)% chance to identify a trap, the Ninja has (4 * Agility)%, both up to a maximum of 95%. Calfo has 95% chance.

* If your Thief or Ninja fails to identify a trap there is a ((RANDOM 0 to 19)> Agility) chance they will activate the trap.

* The Thief or Ninja's chance to disarm a trap is ((RANDOM 0 to 69) <(Character Level - Maze Level + 50)).

* Here's the breakdown of the effects of traps:
- POISON NEEDLE: THE character popping the trap is Poisoned.
- GAS BOMB: Each character does a saving throw against their Poison Resistance or else is Poisoned.
- CROSSBOW BOLT: The character popping the trap is hit for ((Maze Level) d8) damages.
- EXPLODING BOX: 50% chance of taking ((Maze Level) d8) damages.
- SPLINTERS: Each character has 70% chance of taking ((Maze Level) d 6) damages.
- BLADES: Each character has 30% chance of taking ((Maze Level) d 12) damages.
- STUNNER: The character popping the trap is Paralyzed.
- TELEPORTER: The whole party is teleported to a random location and direction on the same maze level.
If it fails the Samurai is Paralyzed. If it fails the Mage is Paralyzed, and if the Mage is already Paralyzed, then the Mage is turned into Stone.
If it fails the Bishop is Paralyzed. If it fails the Priest is Paralyzed, and if the Priest is already Paralyzed, then the Priest is turned into into Stone.
- ALARM: The party must immediately face another encounter.

* If you fail to disarm at trap you still have a ((RANDOM 0 to 19) <Agility) chance to avoid activating it, thus giving you another opportunity to disarm it.

Then there is a (35 - (3 * Character Level))% chance your Bishop will accidentally equip a cursed item or Identification was successful Or not.

* Each character gets experience points after a fight only if their status is "OK".

* You do not get experience points for monsters that have been dispelled or have ran away.

* In Wizardry 1, you can invoke the special powers may destroy it:
- MURASAMA BLADE: Strength + 1.
- SHURIKEN: Maximum Hit Points + 1.
- THIEVES DAGGER: Change Class to Ninja.
- LORDS GARB: Heals all Hit Points of all characters.
- WERDNA 'S AMULET: Heals all Hit Points of all characters.
// Note that in Wizardry 1 other Special Powers were able but never used:
- If your Age> 20 years old then you get younger by 1 year.
- Get older by one year.
- Change Class to Samurai.
- Change Class to Lord.
- Add 50,000 Gold.
- Add 50,000 Experience.
- Change Status to Lost.
- Change Status to OK, cure all Hit Points, and cure Poison.

Last edited:

Nostaljaded

Savant
I got the game today but will have more time to play it during weekend..

He has already equipped the ecchi ring for some sleepless nights even before the weekend. :shittydog:

Is DT2-2's fastest combat animations faster than DT2's fastest setting? Or the same?
With combat log, developer should have the foresight to implement an instantaneous setting like Stranger of Sword City.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I got the game today but will have more time to play it during weekend..

He has already equipped the ecchi ring for some sleepless nights even before the weekend. :shittydog:

Is DT2-2's fastest combat animations faster than DT2's fastest setting? Or the same?
With combat log, developer should have the foresight to implement an instantaneous setting like Stranger of Sword City.

about the same if you put the setting at max speed and put animation off.

here some music

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
At last I beat Werdna last night on SNES version. I had a blast with the game, it has great level design in my opinion. Clever shortcuts between levels that you can unlock discovering items o fighting the tough encounter with ninjas in Level 4, and some misdirection, but not overdone.

I also got to use paper and pencil to map most floors, and it was a great experience doing so, with the exception of devilish 8th level in the SNES version (different of the PC version according to a guide), I got stuck there because the final zone is entered by a one direction door, and after descending level 7 stairs I knew the pain of 8th floor, so I used a guide and map for that level.

Anyone know how to import characters to next scenario? I can't figure out the way.

Also I'm doubting between continuing the trilogy or following with Wizardry 5, that game seem pretty interesting and a change of pace. What do you recommend?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I recommend playing Wiz 5. It's simply the best. Scenarios 2 and 3 are just expansion packs of Wiz 1 with no new gameplay mechanics and, IMO, varying degrees of level design.

Wiz 5 adds weapon ranges, multiple resistances, new ailments, a massive overhaul to the itemization/loot list, and the best maze design of the entire western Wizardry series.

I recommend the ps1 version of Wiz 5 merely because the NPC's dialog scripts are "content complete" and 1:1 in comparison to the DOS/Commodore versions. The SNES ver. of Wiz 5 doesn't feature the gorgeous sprite artwork of the Wiz 1-3 snes versions (ironically enough, SNES wiz 1-3 was made 3 years after Wiz 5 was made for the snes); so you're not going to be missing out on the sprites...

...also the truncated NPC dialog in the SNES ver. of Wiz 5 makes most of the puzzles a fucking nightmare to decipher. I had to stop my SNES wiz 5 playthrough out of frustration and begin (and finish) it on PS1.

NOTE: However, Wiz 1-3, which you absolutely should also play, I recommend on SNES. No issues with the text, and the sprite artwork is jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

AFter finishing Wiz 5 (on snes/ps1, whichever you choose), I recommend:

- Wizardry Empire II: Legacy of the Princess for Windows PC (you can grab the game ISO on The ISO Zone emu-site), and the english-language translation .executable replacement from the thread right here on the codex (which will link you to romhacking dot net).

(Or just PM me and I'll send you a personal link with the game already patched to english and ready-to-play).

- Elminage: Original on PSP. From the same studio who did the Wizardry Empire games, and the true continuation of Wizardry. (You can grab an ISO of the PSP english-language version on an emu site called Nico Blog, or just PM me and I'll send you a personal link with the ISO).

- Elminage: Gothic on Windows PC (available on Steam for like, 4 bucks, or just PM me and I'll send you the ISO).

- Wizardry Gaiden IV: Throb of the Demon's Heart for SNES. Recently translated into english and you can find the rom with a simple Googling and the eng-patch can be found right here on the codex in the game's thread (once again, the patch itself is hosted in romhacking dot net).

That should keep you busy for a while :)

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks for the recommendations, aweigh.

I pulled the trigger for Elminage Original for my vita. I like to play these kinds of games on portables, they control great and it's very comfortable to play them where you want.

I will comment on Elimnage thread.

Hengki Kusuma Adi

I haven't played Wizardry V in PSX/PC remake version as Wizardry: New Age of Llylgamyn, I don't think that version is worth for me (maybe more loading time). The SNES version is my only pick, additionally with uncensored patch powered-up from Romhacking.net. The graphics in SNES version are kinda not really bad because its 16-bit unlike the New Age of Llylgamyn remake where the graphic is wonderful in 32-bit especially 3D solid dungeon. The sounds music in SNES version is the only my favourite part. Don't have the PSX remake either because wasting my free spaces on my SD Card.

decaf

Learned
Wait a minute, so blobbers died in the west, but not in Japan?
Is The Decline™ more of a western thing? :o

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Wait a minute, so blobbers died in the west, but not in Japan?
Is The Decline™ more of a western thing? :o

Don't worry, Japan has its own decline and it is horrible.

I've heard good things about Stranger of Sword City. It has option to reduce level of horribleness (switch from anime style to less anime style) at least.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom