Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by aweigh, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Dorarnae Learned

Dorarnae
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    DT2-2 demo is out, here a little video(not mine). Very glad to see they have a bunch of new track for the game, man I can't wait to play this.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Courtier Erudite

Courtier
    Parrots:
    Legacy of Llylgamyn beaten men
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
    The dungeon is only six floors long........

[​IMG]

........But you can only access some floors with a good or evil party.

[​IMG]

Finding and defeating bosses on the good and evil levels grants you a crystal..............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The two of which you can combine into one

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the neutral crystal, L'kbreth allows you entry into 6F

[​IMG]

One of three rooms each containing a statue.........

[​IMG]

........Allows you to trade the crystal

[​IMG]

...........For the ORB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After many hours of crawling around in the maze, the party returns triumphantly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Knight of Diamonds next!

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Dorarnae Learned

Dorarnae
    Parrots:
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Courtier Erudite

Courtier
    Parrots:
    Yeah, but I didn't get what the amulet of air was for.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Dorarnae Learned

Dorarnae
    Parrots:
    yeah I don't remember what it does.

^ Top  
  7. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    fuck yeah courtier! am enjoying those recaps. i enjoyed scenario 3, which is the one you just finished, the most out (besides scenario 5, ofc).

iam actually a bit afraid you'll get burnt out before reaching scenario 5, especially if you decide to try to "seriously" play through werdna's shenanigans.

i recommend just playing wiz 5 next instead of scenario 2 as it is the culmination of western wiz (although i think scenario 3 featured the best floor layouts out of all scenarios, with the exception of wiz 4's brilliant dungeon layouts).

wiz 5 will feel like playing a proto-version of Wiz Empire series (which obviously feel like playing alpha-versions of Elminage games) and you are going to have 50-70 hours of godlike blobbering with scenario 5.

i played 5 before 3 and 2 and it did not spoil my enjoyment of them one bit, like i said i just don't want you to burn out on old-school wizardry before getting to experience scenario 5.

and no, i've yet to finish scenario 4, and while i (as pretty much every other wiz fanatic) agree that it features the most genius dungeon layouts/designs, it is simply too punishing to truly enjoy as a game. i mean, it even features several instances where your playthrough will be impossible to finish if you ascend (descend?) to a new floor without the correct puzzle-related items.

that's just... ugh.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Gamerhenky Literate

Gamerhenky
    Parrots:
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    i've played and finished:

- wizardry empire 1 (windows pc, half-translated by me, waiting for helly to translate the npc dialog so i can finish it)
    - wiz empire 2 (windows pc, done by mrrichard999 and helly), playing through wiz gaiden 4 (snes, done by richard, helly and tons of others)
    - wiz empire 3 (psp, translated half the game, then passed it on to richard and helly to finish it)

currently playing through:

- wiz gaiden 4 (snes, done by richard and helly and tons of other people)
    - wiz chronicle (windows pc, done by richard and helly)
    - wiz empire 2: game boy version (gbc, done by richard)

currently translating:

- elminage 2 (psp, doing it alone, using google to translate everything as i can't be arsed to wait for anyone to help me out)
    - elminage 3 (same as above)

as a personal project:

- playing through for 4th time elminage: gothic the 3DS remix version. i have more than half the game translated by brute-forcing the english-language files from the pc version into the 3ds rom.

the wizardry 5 (snes) translation patch you mention i know of it but have never ever seen the need to use it as the official localized version that capcom released is 100% fine as is; plus the fact that i think the ps1 version is a closer experience to the original DOS port (though neither the DOS nor the snes/ps1 versions are 1:1 with the original, original Apple II release).

EDIT: empire 3, empire 2 gb and wiz gaiden 4 i am playing/played all of them on emulators. gothic 3ds remix as well. (don't own a 3ds).

(don't own a psp either, so the same applies for elminage 2 and 3).

Gamerhenky

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Courtier Erudite

Courtier
    Parrots:
    You beat the Empire 1-3 postgame!?!?

^ Top  
  11. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    no... lost my empire 2 save a long while ago during a reformat, so i'm planning on just finishing it again with a fresh party made specifically for the purpose of post-game. just haven't gotten around to it. i spend a lot of my free time chipping away at the elminage psp games translating bits and pieces, and when not doing that i'm enjoying playing gothic again for now.

empire 2's post-game is really the one to consider though; empire 1 and 3 only have 1 extra floor in the temple of the gods (not an extra "area" like empire 2 does, and neither 1 nor 3 feature supremely OP gods/bosses like empire 2 does).

once helly eventually passes over the empire 1 dialog and i hack it into the game i'm fully planning on playing through it again though with a fresh party, post-game included.

don't think i'll ever be bored enough to do empire 3's extra floor though. there isn't even a post-game boss! just a statue at the end of a long spiral layout that congratulates you on behalf of starfish for enjoying wizardry. the statue gives you XP, heh. it's really obvious they made empire 3 on a shoe-string budget and under (apparently) dire straits, as the game is so small in every category when compared to empire 1 and 2.

thank god elminage (apparently) saved their asses right afterwards.

btw, Dorarnae , you'd said before that the 3ds remix of gothic's "remixed" floor layouts stopped with the early dungeons, but i'm steamrolling thru the underground church right now and the 1st floor is completely different.

(they simplified the warps and made it easier to navigate...). ice cave also features a slightly different layout for the 2nd floor (again, "easier" to navigate). not saying i approve of the changes just wanted to mention that it's not just the first 3 dungeons changed.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    heh, there's a new sword called a Leaf Blade that's a rare drop in basement floor 2 of the Great Tree dungeon (although, 'rare' means i already have 3 of them...) that's for goblin race only (although of course that can smithed away) and this thing is so hilariously OP...

3 accuracy, 2 hits-per-attack, and does same DMG as the 2-handed weapons available around that time. it's 1-handed, ofc, for extra OP-ness.

The new items are nice but stupidly OP for when they drop. The only good, sensible change they introduced, as i've mentioned many times before, was giving a lot of the game's accessory items an Accuracy bonus, which helps the non-Martial classes out a *lot* when using attacks, and introduces a slight flavor of juggling between accuracy/defense that was present in empire 1-3.

(remember, in empire games armor pieces affected thaco, and the more defense they granted usually the rule was the heavier the thaco penalty, which i think is a fantastic way of making armor more interesting than simply going for lowest AC possible always).

EDIT: One question i have that i've found no answer for is whether or not the Accuracy modifiers on the accesories (and on some armor pieces) "stack" or whether only the highest one is applied.

i'm guessing it's probably the highest one, which would follow the rules of enchanting, but...

weapons already have an accuracy mod, and they now introduced an accuracy number for certain armor pieces, so OBVIOUSLY they're meant to stack with the weapon's accuracy number, which does give credence to them ALL stacking.

^ Top  
  13. Dorarnae Learned

Dorarnae
    Parrots:
    the church dungeon should be the last dungeon that is modified.

^ Top  
  14. Dorarnae Learned

Dorarnae
    Parrots:
    stealing is what makes the 3ds version fun to play, also being able to redo any boss in the game.

^ Top  
  15. oddech_wymarlych_swiatow Erudite

oddech_wymarlych_swiatow
    Parrots:
    But the original SNES USA version is censored.

^ Top  
  16. Courtier Erudite

Courtier
    Parrots:
    KNIGHT OF DIAMONDS beaten, and with that I have won the LLYLGAMYN TRILOGY
    OPEN TO BEGIN JOURNEY (open)

[​IMG]

You can import your characters seemingly as usual, but unlike the original game, they do not keep their levels. Just like with the original 2 to 3 transition, your characters are now descendants of your old party and start at first level. B1F has been rebalanced to be for level 1 characters (and *only* B1F, so the rest of the dungeon is still as brutally difficult/for a higher level party)

Exploring B1F of the ruins beneath the temple of GNILDA, a huge apparition appears:

[​IMG]

In Wizardry 2, the objective is to gain the five pieces of the gear of the Knight of Diamonds and return them to the temple to mollify the earth goddess Gnilda.

[​IMG]
    Hello old friend.................

[​IMG]
    You have to find many keys and badges and trade them with NPCs in order to progress.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On each floor, you will eventually stumble across a piece of the armor of the K.O.D. - it attacks!

[​IMG]

On B4F, there seem to be anti-magic zones. Your spells fizzle, and even trying to heal poison with a potion fails. This makes the frequent scorpion encounters very dangerous.

[​IMG]
    ......What actually happens though, is that whenever you step on a tile that generates the above message, your magic is blocked until you leave the level. No zones at all.

[​IMG]

....The armor pieces are strong as fuck. It's like fighting WERDNA's brothers:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Defeating them allows you to pick them up and equip them. This makes your guys nearly invincible:

[​IMG]

....The shield allows you to use DIALMA without breaking, giving you infinite healing, and the gauntlets allow you to cast TILTOWAIT an unlimited number of times.

Though by the time you get them, you won't need them overmuch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    B5F - Our journey is almost over.

[​IMG]
    Hory shet
    [​IMG]

Here we find the last piece, the gauntlets. They like to TILTOWAIT you to death.

[​IMG]

Now here is where it gets slightly different: In the original, one person had to bring the five pieces back to B1F in order to receive the STAFF. Here, our hero must not only bring them all to B6F (and be able to survive the journey or know MALOR), but also have every single one equipped or anger Gnilda.

[​IMG]
    So a volunteer changes classes to equip the artifacts and teleports down...

[​IMG]

The avatar appears!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

.......THE STAFF

[​IMG]

Our hero is transported back up to B1F..........

[​IMG]

....and returns triumphantly

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BONUS: If you come to B6F without all pieces equipped....

[​IMG]

And your character is killed.

I already patched a JP rom with the uncensored fan translation of Wiz V bros, CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  17. Gamerhenky Literate

Gamerhenky
    Parrots:
    Remember it… Especially on Japanese Nintendo's console remake of Llylgamyn Trilogy (FC, GBC, SNES), the sequels are very awkward, they reversed both Knight of Diamonds and Legacy of Llylgamyn.

Original Version:
    Wizardry II: Knight of Diamonds
    Wizardry III: Legacy of Llylgamyn

Japanese Nintendo Version:
    Wizardry II: Legacy of Llylgamyn
    Wizardry III: Knight of Diamonds

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Gamerhenky Literate

Gamerhenky
    Parrots:
    Wizardry Empire (GBC) Gameplay
    with English Translation

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    when identifying that "fear stricken!" should really, really be "touched it!" :)

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    Courtier

found this today while browsing the japanese wikia site for wizardry "boltac's gift shop", inside his links section (the content i'm pasting is a faq from zimlab.com)

everything here applies the same way to wiz 5 (this data is from wiz 1-3), and the vast majority of the way these formulas work themselves out also function almost exactly the same way in both wiz-empire and in Elminage.

not mentioned here but for wizardry gaiden 4 (and 6 as well, and 7...) the off-hand sub-weapon, if dual-wielding, will always utilize 50% of the character's total accuracy modifier (char's strength bonus from str, which applies to both the thaco/accuracy and to the damage dealt + the weapon's thaco/accuracy modifier, for example a longsword has "4", while a katana has "3", and this number gets subtracted)-- and the sub-weapon uses 50% of the char's max total swings (char's class + weapon + char's level), and it will use 50%.

in wiz 1-5 max # of swings is capped at 10, elminage 1-3 it's capped at 10 as well (orath can raise it to 12 if i remember correctly), and in e: Gothic it's capped at 10 for 1-handed wepaons and 10 + weapon's # of swings modifier (hard-cap of 20 swings regardless of weapon/spells in use).

in wiz-empire luck affects what tier of chest will appear after a fixed enemy encounter along with everything else luck affects (minor 1's and 2's in almost every situation).

snes versions of wiz 1-3 include thief's hide/ambush ability, which is not in the originals and it's not in ps1 versions; something i had completely overlooked. this means i now prefer the SNES versions of wiz 1-3 100%. (thief's hide/ambush was introduced in wiz 5).

game boy color remakes of wiz 1-3, btw, feature around 20-25 new, completely new weapons, armors, helms, etc (in total i mean). I was not aware of this! gbc remakes also take after the snes version's decision to include thief's hide/ambush ability (this ability can be disable for "purity" if desired in snes/gbc versions inside options menu).

it almost makes me want to play through the GBC versions of wiz 1-3, because there are a LOT of new items in all 3 games and even a bonus floor (called EX Dungeon) tucked away inside scenario 3. i tried finding maps/info about the GBC version's ex dungeon floor but alas, internet has nothing.

sega saturn version of wiz 1-3, btw, also features an ex dungeon, something i again... was completely unaware of! it does not appear in ps1 versions of wiz 1-3.

however the saturn version doesn't feature any new items so whatever, who cares, right? whole point of dungen clearing is getting that sweet, sweet loot. again, tried finding info/maps of the saturn remakes' ex dungeon but... nothing.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Dorarnae Learned

Dorarnae
    Parrots:

I got the game today but will have more time to play it during weekend..

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Nostaljaded Learned

Nostaljaded
    Parrots:
    He has already equipped the ecchi ring for some sleepless nights even before the weekend. :shittydog:

Is DT2-2's fastest combat animations faster than DT2's fastest setting? Or the same?
    With combat log, developer should have the foresight to implement an instantaneous setting like Stranger of Sword City.

^ Top  
  23. Dorarnae Learned

Dorarnae
    Parrots:
    about the same if you put the setting at max speed and put animation off.

here some music

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Matador Educated

Matador
    Parrots:
    At last I beat Werdna last night on SNES version. I had a blast with the game, it has great level design in my opinion. Clever shortcuts between levels that you can unlock discovering items o fighting the tough encounter with ninjas in Level 4, and some misdirection, but not overdone.

I also got to use paper and pencil to map most floors, and it was a great experience doing so, with the exception of devilish 8th level in the SNES version (different of the PC version according to a guide), I got stuck there because the final zone is entered by a one direction door, and after descending level 7 stairs I knew the pain of 8th floor, so I used a guide and map for that level.

Anyone know how to import characters to next scenario? I can't figure out the way.

Also I'm doubting between continuing the trilogy or following with Wizardry 5, that game seem pretty interesting and a change of pace. What do you recommend?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)