Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Puck Man

Novice
Which one of you is DRPG 4EVER on youtube? Is it you Dorarnae?

Puck Man

Novice
Since this is a thread on all the wizardry type games I suppose it's ok to ask here... in Elminage how do you se the Ankh items? If I choose to "use item" it's grayed out.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Which one of you is DRPG 4EVER on youtube? Is it you Dorarnae?

yeah it's me. I had another channel before but it got banned (thx atlus jp). so I eventually made a new one and tried to replay most dungeon crawler. heh.

Puck Man

Novice
Nice! I was just kind of guessing it might be you. Your vids are what got me going on the genre! So thanks for that!

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Since this is a thread on all the wizardry type games I suppose it's ok to ask here... in Elminage how do you se the Ankh items? If I choose to "use item" it's grayed out.

to use SP on item, its when you equiip them, the game will ask you if you want or not. (the item disapear if you do)

Deleted Member 16721

Nice YouTube channel, Dorarnae! I just saw that you posted on my Google+ group a few years back, hah. I'll be subscribing to your channel. It's nice to see other dungeon-crawler fans out there. ^_^

Deleted Member 16721

Deepest Dark salt when?

I don't get salty, I keep it low-sodium. :)

In all seriousness, I dunno when. Probably not that soon. Even though I am interested in it I will probably play another game for the next LP to keep things fresh. But I did shout you out several times in this series as it goes along and will encourage others to check out the mod. :)

Puck Man

Novice

to use SP on item, its when you equiip them, the game will ask you if you want or not. (the item disapear if you do)

I don't know why I didn't realize that.. thanks!
Also, is there a good wiki or something for Elminage? Many of the items don't have a description so I'm left wondering what you do with them.

Edit: Anything for Elminage II specifically would be very helpful right now.

Last edited:

Dorarnae

Arbiter

I don't know why I didn't realize that.. thanks!
Also, is there a good wiki or something for Elminage? Many of the items don't have a description so I'm left wondering what you do with them.

Edit: Anything for Elminage II specifically would be very helpful right now.

https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://spoiler.sakura.ne.jp/srv/el2/&prev=search

Puck Man

Novice
In elminage, can you cancel effects of spells such as Sosareo? I'm at a point where I need to actually cancel the effect so I can fall down the chute otherwise I'm stuck.
Edit: Just realized you can cast the spell again to cancel it!

If you use a scroll of light, does that give you the same ability to "sense" hidden doors like a thief normally has? Or something slightly different?

And thanks for the link to the wiki btw!

anomie

Scholar
aweigh hey i need your knowledge here for a sec. im playing the snes "Wizardry I-II-III: Story of Llylgamyn" and i just beat proving grounds, but then i started loading up the 2nd game and i realized theyre out of order? it has legacy of llylgamyn 2nd and knight of diamonds as 3rd. i found this post that talks about it and some other post on rpgwatch saying you can just play them in any order but that seems pretty weird. should i stick with playing KoD now even though it's technically marked as the 3rd game in this version?

Dorarnae

Arbiter
aweigh hey i need your knowledge here for a sec. im playing the snes "Wizardry I-II-III: Story of Llylgamyn" and i just beat proving grounds, but then i started loading up the 2nd game and i realized theyre out of order? it has legacy of llylgamyn 2nd and knight of diamonds as 3rd. i found this post that talks about it and some other post on rpgwatch saying you can just play them in any order but that seems pretty weird. should i stick with playing KoD now even though it's technically marked as the 3rd game in this version?

yeah, knights of the diamond is really the second game.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So going by the OP, these are all the Wizardry-inspired games that are in English, in some way or another, right aweigh?

SNES:

- Wizardry Gaiden 4: Throb Of The Demon's Heart (Taima No Kodou) (English Patch)

Playstation 2:

- Wizardry: Tale Of The Forsaken Land
- Wizardry Gaiden 6: Prisoners Of The Battles (Sentou No Kangoku) (English Interface)

Playstation 3:

- Class Of Heroes 2G
- Wizardry: Labyrinth Of Lost Souls (Torawareshi Tamashii No Meikyu)
- Wizardry: Labyrinth Of Lost Souls - The Shadow Of The Red Sister

Game Boy:

- Wizardry Gaiden 1: Suffering Of The Queen (Joou No Junan) (English Patch)
- Wizardry Gaiden 2: Curse Of The Ancient Emperor (Kodai Koutei No Nor) (English Patch)
- Wizardry Gaiden 3: Scripture Of The Dark (Yama No Seiten) (English Patch)

Game Boy Color:

- Wizardry Empire 1 (English Patch)
- Wizardry Empire 2: Staff Of Resurrection (Fukkatsu No Tsue) (English Patch)

Playstation Portable:

- Class Of Heroes 1
- Class Of Heroes 2
- Elminage 1: Original

Playstation VITA:

- Demon Gaze 1
- Mind Zero 1 (Buy PC version on Steam)
- Ray Gigant (Buy PC version on Steam)
- Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy (Buy PC version on Steam starting March 27th)
- Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy (Buy PC version on Steam starting May 16th)

Nintendo DS:
- The Dark Spire

PC:

- Elminage 4: Gothic (Buy on Steam)
- Mind Zero 1 (Buy on Steam)
- Ray Gigant (Buy on Steam)
- Stranger Of Sword City (Buy on Steam)
- Wizards And Warriors
- Wizardry Gaiden 6: Prisoners Of The Battles (Sentou No Kangoku) (English Interface)
- Wizardry Gaiden 6: Five Ordeals (English Interface)
- Wizardry Gaiden 6: Five Ordeals - The Absence Of Misericordia (English Interface)
- Wizardry Gaiden 6: Five Ordeals - Traveler's Property (English Interface)
- Wizardry Gaiden 6: Five Ordeals - The Wheels Of Flame (English Interface)
- Wizardry Gaiden 6: Five Ordeals - The Treasure Of Eternals (English Interface)
- Wizardry Gaiden 6: Five Ordeals - The Devoid Of Apotheosis (English Interface)
- Generation XTH 1: Code Hazard (English Patch)
- Wizardry: Chronicle - Recapturing The Holy Land (English Patch)
- Wizardry Empire 2: Legacy Of The Princess (Oujo No Isan) (English Patch)
- Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy (Buy on Steam starting March 27th)
- Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy (Buy on Steam starting May 16th)

Android/iOS:

- Wizardry: Labyrinth Of Lost Souls (Torawareshi Tamashii No Meikyu)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The Dark Spire (NDS) -> Made by the team that did the PS1 ports of Wiz 1, 2 and 3.

Wizardry Gaiden 5: Dimguil [English Interface] (PS1)

Paper Sorcerer (Steam) -> Not made by ex-Wiz devs but most certainly Wiz-inspired. Specifically inspired by Wiz 4.

Etrain Odyssey Series (NDS/3DS) -> Not made by ex-Wiz devs but most certainly Wiz-inspired.

Of course, there are dozens of Wiz-clones that we haven't even touched on, shareware games and stuff like that. Wiz 6 when it came out inpisred a butt-load of clones on PC, most of which were terrible. So your list is accurate, yes, but we can never hope to compile a complete listing of all Wiz-clones.

I'm gonna update this thread this week and really bring it back up to snuff!

Gonna go and cull all of the entries from my other compilation thread, the one with turn-based 'crawlers made by non-Wiz devs, and simply include those in this thread.

I'll retitle the thread simply: Compilation of Turn-Based Dungeon Crawlers (WIP), with the date of latest edit.

I'll also include turn-based crawlers which aren't first-person view, such as 7th dragon for NDS (made by Etrian Odyssey ex-devs), and that 7 Mages 'crawler that V_K loves, and whatever else I can find.

I'll drop the links to soundtracks, wikis, etc, as it would simply take too long (and is reason I stopped updating). Thanks for motivating me again Lucas9.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Thanks for motivating me again Lucas9.

You are welcome! It would be much appreciated, however, if you could keep the existing "Wizardry games" and "Games made by ex-Wizardry devs" categories, for those of us who are interested.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
of course. I'll seperate the shit. I mean, i'm no dummy.

first will be listing of wizardry games

then games made by wiz-devs

then wiz-inspired / wiz-clones

then misc. turn-based blobbers (such as etrian odyssey, smt series, mordor, demise, might and magic, etc; i.e. TB crawlers that are neither wiz-clones, nor were made by ex-wiz devs... but would still be enjoyed by wiz-fans)

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
NPEH00155_00000.png

I'm honestly surprised at how well the PSP emulator works. I mean, so far it seems to work flawlessly, but unless it was a NES/SNES/GB/GBC/GBA emulator, I always have the feeling in the back of my head that something isn't working as it should.

Anyhow, dungeon crawlers are so god damn addictive, in particular the Wizardry-type of games. I just wanted to test the game a bit, but the intial 5 minutes of testing turned into a full hour already.

RuySan

Augur
I wish all these japs were more inspired by M&M than Wizardry. As it is, there's barely anything that compares to M&M at its best 3->7. I don't think I've ever finished a japanese dungeon crawler. I always get burned out near the end.

I played all Etrian Odissey games (the first trilogy) until +- dungeon lvl 20.

I think I'm going to play Might and Magic 3 again.

Castozor

Scholar
I only played M&M X, but I'm not sure why more blobbers in this style would be bad. I like the few wizardry inspired games I've played but somehow the character progression puts me off. I'd prefer allocating stats/skills and the like over multi-classing. But to each their own.

duanth123

Arcane
I wish all these japs were more inspired by M&M than Wizardry. As it is, there's barely anything that compares to M&M at its best 3->7. I don't think I've ever finished a japanese dungeon crawler. I always get burned out near the end.

I played all Etrian Odissey games (the first trilogy) until +- dungeon lvl 20.

I think I'm going to play Might and Magic 3 again.

That's like early-mid 2nd Stratum, not even close to the end.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom