Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wizardry-race-chart_zps4hxzrfrv.jpg
(sir-tech bundled these cards inside the game boxes back in the day. they would also include similar cheat-sheets with the spells). they would also bundle AWESOME MOTHERFUCKING RAD SHIT LIKE THE FOLLOWING:

WizardryWerdna_tourny_1a_zpsc3254899.jpg-original_zpsmlu4holg.jpg~original

they actually fucking dared you to beat the game from the moment you unboxed it haha. remember kids, this is the honor system and ONLY the Elite may use the Werdna Defeat card to get their just rewards! (this thing apparently sells for shit loads of money on ebay, as well as the fake MORDOR credit card bundled with wiz 4 as well)

i realized today this stuff is amusing, and interesting, but all it does is clutter the thread. apologies!

unrelated bonus:
darkdung12_zpsweij3er8.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ok for anyone who might be wondering, you know just out of idle cursioty... if i ever plan to finish the other two threads or finish this one or what the fuck, check this out: i literally am a retarded person. i am sam. i just fucking spent almost 1 hour and 40 minutes making this...

IM-A-MORON-JPG.jpg_zpss7vep1db.png~original

i know jack shit about image editing (obviously lol look at lil' werdna's awful white background haha) but i found a super tiny pixel werdna, the one u see there, but it was 32x32... so i spent almost 2 hours using mspaint and figuring out how to fucking resize werdna and still look good and not like a misshapen mongoloid and needed him to be a size big enough that i could make a black block of text with his Stats next to him; BUT small enough that it wouldn't interrupt the flow of the thread too much. i know, this is amateur hour stuff; for me it fucking wiped my will to live. but hey, at least i learned how to badly resize shit today.

the sad thing is i also wanted to place the WERDNA Tournament Card that came bundled with the wiz 4 box and i wanted it to be the exact length of the two pictures above it, i.e. werdna on the left + stats-boxon the right and directly below both images the fight card running the exact dimensions left-to-right of the two images so it all loooked neat. i'm just gonna cut this short and say that i failed. miserably...

FIGHT-CARD-WERDNA_zpsizhwpx45.jpg~original

:salute:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
thread's almost back to how it should be; actually it's way better than before. now i'm manually resizing all of the images i use with a program so i can fit 3-5 in the quote-tag space of the game's entry. i refrained from cluttering up the thread TOO much but i did put in some quotes, and a few ZINGERSSSS. hehe

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ok i just finished getting all the pictures for all the experience inc, zerodiv, starfish, etc games this time each title with 4-5 pics: box cover, fight, npc, dialog, dungeon view. i'll upload them to the thread in a few hours later on today. i already resized them all to perfect sizes for fitting at least 4 in a neat row in the quote tag heeh very proud of myself here :kingcomrade:

edit: btw you know what? fuck experience inc. i no longer have respect for them... they RECYCLE ALL THEIR GAMES EVERY SINGLE TIME. it's INSAAAANE. even the same plots, the same characters, everything! crazy shit. the original PC release of students of the round, for example, which is VERY different from the later console releases; that super old game's screenshots can basically double for any random screenshot from the upcoming versions of stranger in sword city.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
France's word for Books of Magics is listed in exemplary fashion and with an eseemed amount of respect renderedunto it in the thread titled "Compiled list of turn-based dungeon crawlers (this thiread is not finished)" my fingers are too tired to link u mate sorry

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
This thread is getting better and better but why are half the screens pictures of cute cats? not that im complaining :3

Alex

Arcane
France's word for Books of Magics is listed in exemplary fashion and with an eseemed amount of respect renderedunto it in the thread titled "Compiled list of turn-based dungeon crawlers (this thiread is not finished)" my fingers are too tired to link u mate sorry

No problem. It just seemed like this was the right place for it, given it was made by an ex-wizardry developer.

Comte

Still Playing through Wizardry 1 aweigh (Lord) now has Lords armor and finally got the Blade Cuisinart last night! Hoping to get another Blade Cuisinart for Celerity my Samurai. I gotta say other then Identify my Bishop Deuce Traveler is pretty useless. His spell progression fucking sucks.

I found this online it helped me with figuring out which monsters drop the good stuff on the 10th floor.

Like Atma said. The poison and frost giants are among the monsters that have the 5% chance for the really good stuff, and something like 25% for other good stuff like the Blade Cusinart. Naturally, you need to find a chest to get the stuff, and be prepared to find tons of crap while item hunting. But if you're on level 10, you should be hunting the giants, so you'll slowly build your supply of the good stuff.

The monsters with the 15% chance are IIRC the Flack, Hatamoto, High Master, and Maelific. None of them are really all that good for experience, but they have the best chance of dropping the really good stuff. That stuff is Armor of Lords (Lords only, best armor, regenerate HP and decapitate enemies), Dagger of Thieves (a thief can use it to become a ninja without class change), Muramasa Blade (Samurai only, best weapon, invoke for +1 Str, 50% chance to break), Shuriken (best ninja weapon) and a few others. Vampire lord is also in this group, but is only encountered in WERDNA's room. The Ring of Dispelling is another item in this group, but it's never dropped by this monster group; you'll have to get it from a 5% drop.

BTW, Will 'o Wisps and Bleebs have crap drops. They never drop the good stuff. I'll risk disarming a Teleporter trap if there's a chance of getting good gear (reseting IMMEDIATELY if I fail), but I leave the chest behind if it's froms Wisps or Bleebs.

Soul Slayer is an evil shortsword, which means it curses non-evil characters. Alignment gear like the evil stuff and Neutral Plate curse characters that aren't of the right alignment.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
I remember my solo Ninja run of Wizardry 1. It actually wasn't that bad, you just skip every encounter in the game except for about... 6, the easy experience encounters. And then you end the game middle aged because resting.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Still Playing through Wizardry 1 aweigh (Lord) now has Lords armor and finally got the Blade Cuisinart last night! Hoping to get another Blade Cuisinart for Celerity my Samurai. I gotta say other then Identify my Bishop Deuce Traveler is pretty useless. His spell progression fucking sucks.

I found this online it helped me with figuring out which monsters drop the good stuff on the 10th floor.

awesome shit. once you beat werdna i would personally recommend just skipping scenario #2 and going directly to scenario #3... but any wiz is a good time. as for bishops? the ARE useless. this is not poor balance; on the contrary it is EXCELLENT gameplay balancing. I'll just be lazy and quote myself cos my fingers are tired of typing. the following specifically addresses "the problem with dem bishops and why":

wiz 1 featured one merciless oversight by the designers that everyone always forgets: it wasn't until wiz 2 that they introduced the game rule of not allowing neither enemies nor PC's to cast spells in a Surprise round. lol they had gotten inundated with complaints from players when wiz 1 came out saying how their level 12 parties or whatever would be exploring the final floors and get surprise attacked by a bunch of bad fuckers who would start their free round on the player with a non-stop barrage of tiltowaits haha

of course all that said, i firmly believe wizardry-style combat resolution is almost perfect in its dumb simplicity; it achieves a definite layer of elegance in its quick resolution but always demanding thoughtful management of resources such as spells and hit points and items. the symbiotic co-existence between the very basic attributes of wizardry combat, mainly: spells, resistances, afflictions and melee; they all compliment each other concisely and efficiently and, while of course not without flaws; the combat mechanics are in the end plainly logical and the player is rewarded for manipulating the game's systems.

an additional layer that quite simply seeps into the crevices of the combat mechanics and transforms the ENTIRE combat ritual and its repetition into one of the most elegant and well thought-out skinner-boxes i've ever personally witnessed in terms of video game application. i am of course referring to the fact that every combat is worth fighting through because every combat rewards the player with treasure, and not only that but the treasure itself is random (obvious gambling philosophies/design at work, as they are in almost every single RPG/game of course) and not only is the treasure random but there is a second phase that happens after the player wins the encounter and the player is then logically not just fighting random encounters but rather he/she is "gaming the system"; what i call "phase zero" is the player's venture into the Maze and exploring it and mapping it. during this phase there is constant tension and fear of the unknown.

the first real phase, or rather the first instance in which the wizardry player starts to engage with the games mechanical parts occurs when they get an encounter while exploring. this tests the players knowledge of ALL of the game's facets and machinations and minutiae and there is a very strong random element in the conflict resolution (i.e. stuff like damage, resistances, etc) but it never feels out of the hands of the player.

once the player wins the fight we get a second phase of conflict resolution that is entirely psychological: the disarming of the chest. as all wiz players know the most likely way you get wiped is disarming a chest, NOT fighting enemies. but the loot is waiting and you want it (for many reasons besides the obvious ones, post is already too long to explain this point in detail); the sheer rush of excitement that overwhelms the player after the tension and fear of the second conflict phase is over is similar to the feelings the player experiences when he wins a tough fight but not in any palpable, legitimate parallel: no, the disarming of the chest was a stroke of sheer genius by the wizardry designers.

and of course there is still one more (not really, there are MANY more but anyway); there is one more phase after getting the loot inside the chest and that is of course the lottery; the skinner-box in play during amateur hour. it is no arbitrary coincidence that items must be brought back to town to be identified normally, and the only way to identify them inside the Maze is by mastering more and moreof the game's many gameplay elements:in this specificexample of course i'mreferring to creating advanced classes like a bishop. even that decision interweaves PERFECTLY with every single other element that is constantly in play during the gameplay phases of wizardry: the bishop is worthless as a melee attacker, he has poor ways to defend himself from enemy attacks, he levelsmuch too slowly to keep pace with the rest of the party and he will NEVER learn his spells "fast enough"to merit giving up a valuable spot in the team for a useless bishop. except of course now the party can extend the phase zero: now the player can explore further and the possibility of beating an encounter and disarming the chest and getting an item and then having the bishop ID the item and have it EXACTLY THE SWORDYOU WANTED means that now your Samurai can deal 2x as much damage as he could 10 minutes ago, i.e. before this last fight that yielded the super sword. no bishop would mean a long trip back to town with less resources (no sword, for example) and awaste of valuable gold in paying for the item's ID'ing. even something as simple as that, the item identification and its relationship with the bishop and the shop-keeper, is absolutely overflowing with ramifications interms of emergent gameplay.

Comte

One of those Flack's out in the wild.

Flack_crop.png

After I complete 1 I plan on playing through the series in order then taking on the Elminage games.

Celerity

Blind Wiz4 Grandmaster run or riot. :troll:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
man thos e motherfucking jokers even show up in post-Wizardry franchises lol they're a pain in Elminage too. as always the best defense is a good offense. the golden rule of wizardry :D

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wiz 1-3 on snes is PERFECT, but i recommend #4 on ps1 (well... duh, only remake in town unless you don't mind the original. and trust me, it's doable but man the remake even includes a fucking option to urn the dungeon into vector lines AND also replace the new enemy art with the original's enemies, so there is literally ZERO legit reason other than to be hard-core) and the surprise move here: for wiz 5 i used to prefer snes version but a few months (?) ago i finished the ps1 remake and it's more faithful to the original release. Content-wise both snes and ps1/saturn remakes are identical to the original release of wiz 5. same fixed encounters. same exact dungeons. same maps. same loot. where shit goes wreong is the snes version has truncated "dialogue" with the tons of npc's in wiz 5; i dunno i guess they couldn't fit so much into the snes cart? who knows. i used to think that was just how wiz 5 npc's and story were: 100% batshit incomprehensible... until i played the ps1 version and was treated to NPC's with 1:1same wiz 5 script from original INCLUDING the keywords for asking them. manwhat a world of fucking difference that made. not in terms of beating the game, but in the sense that now i actually understand wtf was happening, what wiz 5 was about, and what the fuck the npc's were telling me.

um... it made a big personal difference lol.

as for wiz 6 i say both snes and original DOS release are qually good. snes has better sprites but veeeery slightly more casualized elements. snes version for example features larger gains in hp/mana when resting than the dos original. that is undocumented, of course, but THE PEOPLES founds out. so who knows what else is toned down? i say play wiz 6 DOSBOX version.

i've never played 7. don't want to. maybe. someday.

wiz 8? meh, i say you should be tearing into gothic, sorry imeanelminage: original (gothic! gothic!) right after finishing wiz 6.

once you clear elminage 1 and elminage gothic i humbly makethe recommendation of tackling the dark spire on nintendo DS, (madeby Success software the same japanese studio that developed the remakes for wiz 4 and wiz 5 for ps1/saturn, and currently they are living off their new franchise called Wizardry: Traditional on japanese mobiles. sadly no word yet on a sequel for The Dark Spire... :(

shit, wtf am i going on about? fuck the dark spire. after the elminages GO PLAY WIZARDRY EMPIRE 2: LEGACY OF THE PRINCESS IMMEDIATELY. (made by starfish, btw, they now make Elminage... in fact, youwill find many similarities between wiz: empire games and elminage games)

Celerity

"wiz 1-3 on snes is PERFECT, but i recommend #4 on ps1 (well... duh, only remake in town unless you don't mind the original. and trust me, it's doable but man the remake even includes a fucking option to urn the dungeon into vector lines AND also replace the new enemy art with the original's enemies, so there is literally ZERO legit reason other than to be hard-core)"

IS THAT NOT ENOUGH REASON?!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
so yeah i'm almost done re-addingall the pics that got nuked.this time i took the time to download every image and upload them to photobucket and a thumbnail-sized duplicate of each image as well.

btw, experience inc makes the most games ever in the history of any studio jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus christ. i'm absolutely sick of looking at their stuff: they've apparently been recycling the ps2 wizardry xth's all the way to right now, with this new upcoming re-re-re-re-re-re-release of SoSC. if you compare images of a battle from wizrdry xth on ps2 to anencounter screenshot from say, one of the gen xth or the labyrinth of blood ones, and it's the SAME GODDAMNED GAME.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
what do you mean? samurais and lords are kings in all wizzes except 6/7/8. and especially if we're alking 1-5? dude, thereis NO reason to have a priest instead of a lord. unlike modern crawlers there are class skills that are gained by levelling or some such, in wizzes 1-5 a lord with high PIETY will cast exactly the same as well as a priest or bishop with the same piety score.

my endgame party for wiz 3 was: samurai, samurai, samurai, fighter, ninja, bishop (sigh, gotta have dat identify...)

my end game party for wiz 5 was: samurai, lord, lord, ninja,ANOTHER FUCKING NINJA BABY YEEAH, and...bishop.

obviously it's bad starting out with a lord as your healer cos a priest gets the mid-level healing spells by about char levels 6-8 immediately making that priest simply indispensible to the party, case closed.

the lord and sam will get their mid-level spells by like level fucking 12 or 13 and they learn the 7th level ones at i think it's 16-18. so... before THAT arrives; they're LITERALLY just fighters with a lot less hit points lol

it was in wiz 5 onwards that the class system became as mature as it is today when adopted by other franchises. wiz 5 introduced ranges for weaponry (adds bows, heck there's even a magician's bow in wiz 5; a ton of specialized ninja and samura gear; not a TON but of lord gear but the best armor and best sword are lord only, end of story (yeah fighters got shafted hard in wiz 5...); they finally introduced spells that lower enemies magic resistance andspells that raise your own + help defend versus breathing enemies (cortu/bacortu)

oh, also wiz 5 introducedtwodifferentcategor of M-range polearms: the previous ones already inwiz 1-4 like the halberd andsuch, which are always fighter/lord only i believe; but they introduced samurai-only m-range spears . i remember my wiz 5 party had the two lords in front and 1 ninja in front dual wielding steel, then the back row was my samurai with a samurai-spear, the second ninja throwing shurikens and the bishop being useless.

in case you don't yet know the exact number: bishops get 7th level mage spells at car level 25 and they get 7th level priest spells at char level 27. r00fles!

edit: oh but at least another addition in wiz 5 (that is alive and well in elminage and wiz-empire series!) was introduction of M-range clubs and morningstars for priests. both of my wiz 5 end game lords started as priests, and both were clubbing shit from the back like the lord says we should.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
and remember: the entire point of the thief's hide ability is that if it suceeds you are 100% invulnerable AND automatically acquire L-Range status on your attacking, regardless of position in party and regardless of weapon.

the attributes that make hiding workmore often are agility and luck. perhaps moer i don't know. i used to think it was NEVER worth wasting a turn for a failed hiding attempt but i realized later it is very powerful. every round you are "hidden" (think of it this way: drinkinginvisibility potion basically) the enemy has a random percentile dice roll that adds to some attributes i don't remember and those resolve against your thieves own percentile roll to STAY hidden w/ modifers from HIS attributes. gotta check up on a FAQ the exact mechanics of it. anyway in wiz 5 i've managed to beat enemies that literally one-shotted my party in the first rounds, but my thief killed them because he was hidden the entire fucking battle hitting them from the backrow with his short-sword +1 lol

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I spent more time with javadry. set couple items and monster but this will need a lot more work later.
I then spent some time with dungeon event and finally found out how to do something...so I think I am good to do the whole dungeon now.
once that's done, I'll have to spend some time balancing everything I guess.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dorarnae
Siveon
Mustawd
Deuce Traveler
V_K
Celerity

sounds awesome. hey, when in doubt as to how to balance something? copy old Wizardry :D
(seriously!)

wiz 5 in particular has excellent itemization, and great and natural progression of difficulty and of encounters andfeatures many ways (optional ways) to movebetwen the first 5 floors quickly if you can figure them out. the map design from 5 is very good; not a bad idea to study the wiz 5 maps for inspiration. for example...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Draw a square. Erase two wholes in it. I put mine in the corners as shown in the picture. This will be your entrance and exit. Draw another square inside the first square. Erase more holes in that square. I made 3 holes in this shit:

- Draw another square inside the first square. Erase more holes in that square. I made 3 holes in mine. Draw more and more squares inside eachother. Yours should look pretty close to mine, other than the holes. Now you can draw different shapes inside that square. Erase holes in them too. Fill those in with squares. Erase holes in those too.

- Figure out where you want the only way through the maze to be. I highlighted mine. Now start drawing lines to close off paths other than the way through. Finish drawing lines. You may have had to erase some more holes to make the maze more comfusing. Make sure there are no other ways through the maze. If there are, close it off with a line. Congratulations you have made an extremely simple Maze, at least in design. If done correctly these type of mazes will serve as the foundation that provides the heart to rest of your maze. Your end result is sometimes called a Right-Angle Vortex, like so...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- These are your simplest tools when making a traditional square maze; always continue thinking of how best a concept for your maze can benefit from a JUNCTION:

draw-mazes-2.png

- Junctions lead to new passages, and when creating junctions you should try to achieve a balance between creating passages that lead to dead ends, and creating passages that lead back into earlier passages of your maze. Although it may seem counter-intuitive, a maze where every passage leads to a dead end (except for the passage that leads to the solution) is actually not very hard to solve. The hardest mazes to solve have some passages that lead to dead ends, but others that lead back to earlier passages. Such mazes are called multiply-connected mazes and maze solvers can spend a lot of time going back over their tracks while trying to get through them.

- Now... do you remember the first exercise? Armed with junctions and a basic understanding of how to transform a square into a vortex we start to begin making the maze foundation. Let me explain with a quote by... someone who has a blog on the internet I guess, he didn't bother crediting it either:

There is a reason rotating spirals were used in all those old movies: they are naturally disorienting and confusing.

Take a long look at the Spiral marked "C".
draw-mazes.png

- Spirals look good, but they don't really make for challenging mazes because the center of every spiral is a dead end.

- This is a Maze Maker's oldest friend and foe as well: the true vortex. While you see what look to be many vortexes that issimply the same one copy/pasted several times. There lies the true value of the simple vortex! Do you understand!?
vortex.png
vortex.png
vortex.png

vortex.png
vortex.png

- What simple repetition does is often more thought-provoking than going about the design in a convoluted approach.
- One of the more effective ways to use the vortex design in a maze is actually quite simple: draw several of them, and then link them together. Have a single passageway leading into the group of vortices, and a single passageway leading out. Then make every other passageway that comes out of any one vortex, lead back into one of the other vortices. Its a simple concept, its not very hard to draw, and it makes for a very difficult area of any maze to get through. I mean... it's fuckingobvious. And also it was the very first thing we did with the first exercise, and the historical beginning of _every maze made by man throughout history_; the transforming of the Square.
- Learn now how to "fill up the empty space" inyour maze. This is the mark of a good Maze Maker. As we know by now we have thesimple right angle square, and we have the vortex; and we also have the use of different types of junctions. Always vary the use of junctions and remember the psychology of your design:

Take a look at example (d) in Figure 1. See how the entire square area is filled with consistent passages? Practice this kind of thing on your own by first drawing an empty rectangle, and then completely filling it in with passages. Try this with rectangles.

draw-mazes.png

(Figure "D" - an extremely simple use of junctions.​

- Have a single passageway leading into the group of vortices, and a single passageway leading out. Then make every other passageway that comes out of any one vortex, lead back into one of the other vortices. Its a simple concept, its not very hard to draw, and it makes for a very difficult area of any maze to get through.

- Junctions lead to new passages, and when creating junctions you should try to achieve a balance between creating passages that lead to dead ends, and creating passages that lead back into earlier passages of your maze. Although it may seem counter-intuitive, a maze where every passage leads to a dead end (except for the passage that leads to the solution) is actually not very hard to solve. The hardest mazes to solve have some passages that lead to dead ends, but others that lead back to earlier passages. Such mazes are called multiply-connected mazes .

- Now we begin the hard work. We must create good old-fashioned bottlenecks. A few paragrphs ago I suggested using shapes like the RECTANGLE as an excelt and very simple way to "fill out" your tradionally-built square Maze. So far this imaginary Maze consists of the following:

• Squares within squares; i.e. the right-angle vortex.
  • Multiple junctions that allow you to make a branching maze: the oldest and most primitive form of mazing.
  • The carefuly analysis made that determines what junctions will connect which passages INTO and OUT OF our SQUARE VORTEX of right-angles: you can very easily junction and branch out of the vortex and into a Spiral-- inside the Spiral we must introduce further branching because we must always remember that the spiral will always solve itself and is not actually a maze but a tool TO maze.
  • Branching outside of the core of the maze yields what is referred to commonly as "Cells", or sometimes "satellite". Here is a simple example of a cell:

draw-mazes-3.png

- I'd suggest that you begin by taking a piece of paper and dividing it into three areas. Make all the areas next to each other, with no empty spaces between them. Then make the entrance to the maze lead into one of these three areas, and the exit lead out of another. Then block off all three areas so that in order to solve the maze, you have to get through each in succession. This means creating abottleneck that every solution must pass through to get from one area to the next. Fill in each of the three areas with passageways, junctions and vortices. Make sure each area has a balance of passages, so that some passages lead to dead ends, but others lead to other vortices and some lead back to earlier passages. Be aware of how what you are currently drawing contributes to the overall puzzle. This will result in a more difficult maze. Its really just a matter of planning ahead. For example, if you have a clear idea of where your solution path is, you could choose to create a new area that is a trap for the maze-solver. Perhaps a passage that looks like it leads to the exit, but really loops back to a far-away dead end. Look at this simple square branch (this is not even an actual maze, mind you):
- That is... a simple square upon which multiple JUNCTIONS were used toproduce passages insde of the square. There is not even a Spiral in use in that figure nor does it feature bottlenecks. It is quite simply beautiful.

This type of maze is called a branching maze, as it has a single path to its destination (the trunk) and all other paths are eventually dead-ends (branches). It is possible to solve even if you don't know the design. Imagine that you are entering the maze, and put your right hand on the wall on the right. Walk forwards, but whenever there is a path to your right, turn right. This will keep your hand moving along the side of the wall. If you meet a dead-end, then turn round keeping your hand on the wall, and your right hand will now be on the other wall. Eventually, you will come to the destination, although you may go down several dead-ends. In fact, if you turn round at the destination, and re-enter the maze, still keeping your right hand on the wall, you will travel through the rest of the maze, and get back to the entrance, having travelled through every passage way twice (but not necessarily in the same order), and touched every piece of wall. You can use your left hand instead of your right.

- To finish up here i'll just copy/paste the next tools that you have to develop in order to augment your Maze Making: the unicursural design. Look at the following shapes and stop and simply think for a few minutes all the many ways in which they can be junctioned and branched into and out of our existing designs: the spiral, the vortex and the rectangle bottleneck; all of course junctioned together. Look at these amazing shapes...

...I guarantee you just now immediately recognized at least half a dozen Wizardry-ish dungeonfloors. For analysis allowme to now copy/paste the following dungeon floor from Wiz 5:

- A very elegant, and very BORING square branching-maze: you can see on all corners the very simple-shaped sattelite-cells, which of course are either squares or rectangles; and each cell junctions into a passage that connects into the next cell until the maze explorer reaches the core of the maze which while itmay look impressive as you now very well should know fromreading this post: it is a simple square with almost entirely binary navigation: the only options apparently they thought of including inside the core were to make a simple path of A to B and pepper it with 1 dead-end and 1 true passage every few tiles. How exciting right? I know... and after we just saw the unicursal shapes!!!! MY GOD!!!

BUT OF COURSE THIS IS ONLY SO BECAUSE THEY MEANTIT TO BE A SIMPLE SQUARE BRANCH: AFTER ALL THAT IS ONLY B3F. NOW LOOK AT WIZ 5'S B7F:

Now THAT is a well done branching square. It's fucking beautiful. In the most sence floor b7f in Wiz 5 is...

And of course our friendly RECTANGLE CELLS ever present to fill space. Anyway i can't type any more, for real, so I leave you with the Ziggurat from Wiz 4.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

WOW.

A perfect example of how to use Repetition in order to continually increment the branching inside the ssquare maze; and please also notice the PERFECT use of of this specific junction...

draw-mazes-2.png

(Hint: it's the one in the middle)
[/QUOTE]

- here are some awesome links on mazing: http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/maze/roman/index.htm#how

- http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/maze/index.htm

(THIS IS THE QUINTESSENTIAL MOST CLASSIC OF CLASSICS: THE ROMAN MOSIAC)
and shit i dunno google more mazing if ya wanna. thanks to you, whoever actually took the time to read my super long and completely unnecessary post on mazing :)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom