Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LOL Notch is rich but lonely Discuss!!!1!!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Notch: giving us a lesson in bad life decisions ever since he got rich.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'd be depressed too if I suddenly received 2 billion dollars, and then bought this:
242A190800000578-0-Champagne_wishes_and_caviar_dreams_Beyonce_and_Jay_Z_have_lost_a-a-28_1419330960824.jpg

When I could have had this for a fraction of the pice:
http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/s...istorical-villa-other-czech-republic-cz-36001

Of course, moving to the most hipster area in the world, where there are only rich young SJWs around, isn't the best decision either. Of course you're gonna feel lonely when all the people around you are soulless faggots.

It looks like it was constructed in Minecraft...

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
It looks like it was constructed in Minecraft...

But seriously. I know, he's paying for the location, but it's a shit location. You're surrounded by trees but you can't go amoungst them without falling and breaking your neck. The fucking place is smaller than my parent's place, which technically is a mansion by our current inflated prices but it's just a townhouse and we've got a larger backyard.

If you were rich, I would expect at least two body lengths from the pool to your property limit before reaching it. That is hideous.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
That's the saddest part.
Were he in trouble after falling in a spiral of sex, drugs and rock & roll, at least that would be respectable.
Weeping in an empty mansion full of candy is so pathetic it depresses me.
What do you expect? He's a fat, old, /v/irgin loser. The fact that he now has basically everything and is still whinging about how FOREVER ALONE he is just proves that all those threads on /v/ and /r9k/ full of people moaning about how IF THIS DIDN'T HAPPEN TO ME I'D BE SUCCESSFUL, or IF I HADN'T OF DONE THAT I'D BE HAPPY are all full of bullshit. Slap a billion dollars on a miserable, self-loathing loser, and all you'll get is a self-loathing loser who now blames being TOO SUCCESSFUL! as the reason why he's so miserable.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
But seriously. I know, he's paying for the location, but it's a shit location. You're surrounded by trees but you can't go amoungst them without falling and breaking your neck. The fucking place is smaller than my parent's place, which technically is a mansion by our current inflated prices but it's just a townhouse and we've got a larger backyard.

If you were rich, I would expect at least two body lengths from the pool to your property limit before reaching it. That is hideous.
It's LA, in vip neighborhood, were you somehow expecting standard market prices?

Personally I would go with a beach front house, something modern but with a view and close to the ocean.

4c670112c41d1b3f59a523746d60af44.jpg

Sodafish

Arcane
I hate that style of house with entire walls of glass and no privacy. Why not live in a perspex box ffs.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Modern architecture looks so ugly. Why would anyone pay millions of dollars for a house that looks like shit from the outside, and has boring and uninspired interior design?

I'd rather buy this beauty: http://www.bulgarianproperties.com/_in_Bulgaria/AD25254BG_House_for_sale_in_Sofia.html
Which is in a hipster-free area, nice neighborhood with mostly traditional architecture houses, a city with low living costs but still good quality, and normal people you can meet rather than everyone being a nouveau riche hipster faggot.

I'll never understand the kinds of rich people who waste all their hard-earned cash in order to be part of this retarded rich people society full of pretentious hipsters and shallow bitches. Any woman he might ever attract this way (yeah right) is 100% guaranteed just after his money and there'll be a divorce after a few years at most. And not enough that he's in an area full of pretentious rich people, he's also in an area of horrible SJWs so it's only a matter of time until they erode his brain far enough that he decides to donate half his money to help some niggers in Africa.

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
notch is going to be like one of those lottery winners who somehow manages to blow it all and is out on the street just a few years later

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Who would ever want to buy a mansion in LA and actually move there unless they had to for work? That's so nouveau riche.

Also: it's not like Notch is a massive, recognizable, celebrity. Only a tiny portion of the world's population would recognize him on the street. If he doesn't want to be isolated for his wealth or have women only interested in him for his money, then he shouldn't buy a tacky mansion and live in LA. He should go somewhere and blend.

Also, starting a non-profit charity is a good way to meet non-materialistic women. I know Codex thinks that "non-materialistic woman" is an oxymoron, but I've worked for non-profits in the past and they do tend to attract a certain type of person. I've met lots of women who aren't interested in wealth. But if you flash your tacky mansion around in LA, of course you are only going to get the gold digging bimbos.

Last edited:

Andhaira

Arcane
Forbes had an exclusive interview with him a few months ago. Some interdasting insights, I'm posting a few tidbits below:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/2015/03/03/minecraft-markus-persson-life-after-microsoft-sale/

It’s 7 p.m. on a Monday in Stockholm, and Markus Persson sits on the terrace of his ninth-story office, sipping the speedball of alcoholic beverages, a vodka Red Bull. Three hours ago he committed to not drinking today, still in recovery from a 12-drink Thursday bender while nursing an ear infection. Yet here we are, embracing heavy-handed pours of Belvedere while surveying the workers in adjacent high-rises hacking away at their keyboards.

“He looks worried,” says Persson, pointing to a man in a building across the street rubbing his face and staring blankly into a computer screen.

After a few more seconds of looking at the man, Persson seems bothered by the scene and darts inside. For the better part of the last five years the 35-year-old Swede was that guy, a man who constantly stressed about his creation, Minecraft, the bestselling computer game of all time. Even calling it a game is too limiting. Minecraft became, with 100 million downloads and counting, a canvas for human expression. Players start out in an empty virtual space where they use Lego-like blocks and bricks (which they can actually “mine”) to build whatever they fancy, with the notable feature that other players can then interact with it. Most players are little kids who build basic houses or villages and then host parties in what they’ve constructed or dodge marauding zombies.

Truly obsessed adults, though, have spent hundreds of hours creating full-scale replicas of the Death Star, the Empire State Building and cities from Game of Thrones. The word “Minecraft” is Googled more often than the Bible, Harry Potter and Justin Bieber. And this single game has grossed more than $700 million in its lifetime, the large majority of which is pure profit.

“It doesn’t compare to other hit games,” says Ian Bogost, a professor at the Georgia Institute of Technology who studies videogames. “It compares to other hit products that are much bigger than games. Minecraft is basically this generation’s Lego or even this generation’s microcomputer.”

In this virtual world, Persson–or rather his Internet persona, a loudmouthed fedora-wearing crank named Notch–became a deity-like figure to millions of gamers, establishing and clarifying the rules with Zeus-like authority. But Persson is anything but an opinionated extrovert. Face-to-face he’s polite, plainspoken and private. (He rarely talks with the press.) Over time the demands and expectations of fans looking to Notch to keep the monster hit going turned him into a self-conscious wreck.

So three months ago Persson pushed it all away, completing the sale of Minecraft to Microsoft MSFT +0.00% for $2.5 billion in cash. His 71% stake in Mojang, the company behind Minecraft, made him a new, and particularly flush, member of the FORBES World’s Billionaires list.

So with well over half his life ahead of him, the man who created an entire universe, whose persona was synonymous with it and who received the wrath of his community for abandoning it, must now figure out exactly who he is.

The results so far are unimpressive, as he’s mostly acted like a dog chasing cars. When Persson decided to buy a house in Beverly Hills, he went for a $70 million, 23,000-square-foot megamansion, the most expensive home ever in an enclave known for them. He’s become known for spending upwards of $180,000 a night at Las Vegas nightclubs. He and Mojang cofounder Jakob Porsér have started a company called Rubberbrain in case they think of a new game idea–but right now he can’t focus much on any.

These conversations with FORBES represent Persson’s only interview about the Minecraft deal and his life after. It turns out that the most certain thing this windfall bought him was some heavy soul-searching. The only thing he has learned for sure: He was right to walk away from Minecraft. In explaining his recent decisions, he quotes Leonardo da Vinci: “Art is never finished, only abandoned.”

While Persson was a good student, he found life at school difficult after his family moved to Stockholm when he was in second grade. Unable to make new friends easily, he became ever closer to the family computer, which offered entertainment like Boulder Dash, an 8-bit puzzle game, and The Bard’s Tale, an action-role-playing title. In the book Minecraft: The Unlikely Tale of Markus “Notch” Persson , Persson’s mother, Ritva, recalls periods when her son would fake stomachaches to stay home from school and while away hours in front of the computer.

The young Persson found further solace in PCs as life at home fell apart. His parents divorced when he was 12. Persson’s father abused alcohol and became addicted to amphetamines. His younger sister also began to experiment with drugs and eventually ran away from home.

For his part Persson failed to finish high school. He was still living at home when his mother, a nurse who worked the graveyard shift at a local hospital, forced him to take an online programming course. It was a wise investment. Channeling his childhood passion, he started churning out games, and in 2004, at 24, he landed a gig at Midasplayer, later known as King.com, the maker of Candy Crush.

Minecraft’s secret weapon was Notch. More than just a nickname, Notch allowed Persson to shed his real-world introversion. Through blogs, forums and Twitter TWTR +0.00%, he addressed his fans’ every question about game play, development and life. Any appearance on a Minecraft server was akin to an Elvis sighting. Notch also gave followers a figure to root for, a sharp-tongued icon in a fedora that stood up for independent game companies. Through this alter ego, Persson amassed more than 2 million followers on Twitter, loyal folks who read his diatribes against the “cynical bastards” of Electronic Arts, who deigned to release an indie gaming bundle, or virtual reality device maker Oculus VR, for selling out to the “creepy” Facebook.

The mansion is a good investment; he can sell it for a large profit anytime he wants because it's location ensures it will keeping rising in value astronomically, ahead of inflation.

However, being well known for spending $180,000/- a night at Vegas clubs is not a good sign at all. What a retard.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Fuck it, if i had 2$ Billion, i would not hesitate to party hard here and there. What's the problem here? As long as it's fun and games and he's not trying to buy friends and love or something...

Ninjerk

Arcane
Maybe he likes boiling water.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom