Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LOL Notch is rich but lonely Discuss!!!1!!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The answer is easy.

There was a article I read in my newspaper half a year ago. It was an editorial, not a scientific study. But it came across honest and true to me, based on what I know. The guy argued, using various cherry picked evidences, that people who're most wealthy don't normally get that way by luck or good fortune. Instead they get that way because of ambition. These people will work hard with or without lots of money. He argued people who're rich by luck will lose it or not build on it.

Damn I wish I had made a favorite for it on my computer. So it was saying a trully successful person will not be ruined by riches and fame because they're by their nature driven to work hard and thereby attain distinction.

EDIT: I googled something similar:
http://elitedaily.com/money/entrepreneurship/ambition-important-success/

How do we find out who's truly ambitious and who isn't? I think one possible way is to ask a question, like this one: "Do you work to live or live to work?" The most successful people live to work. It's in their blood. They work hard rain or shine, poor or rich, sad or happy, disabled or not, male or female. They get back up if they fall. They never quit, never settle!
There was a statistic posted a whole back about the origin of the money of millionaires, and a big percentage of it was inherited. These fuckers didn't have to work for it, didn't have to be ambitious, they just needed to have family.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There was a statistic posted a whole back about the origin of the money of millionaires, and a big percentage of it was inherited. These fuckers didn't have to work for it, didn't have to be ambitious, they just needed to have family.

That is just not true. Educate yourself and work for what you earn.

http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/s/stanley-millionaire.html

* About one in five of us is retired. About two-thirds of us who are working are self-employed. Interestingly, self-employed people make up less than 20 percent of the workers in America but account for two-thirds of the millionaires. Also, three out of four of us who are self-employed consider ourselves to be entrepreneurs. Most of the others are self-employed professionals, such as doctors and accountants.

* Most of us have never felt at a disadvantage because we did not receive any inheritance. About 80 percent of us are first-generation affluent.

* We live well below our means. We wear inexpensive suits and drive American-made cars. Only a minority of us drive the current-model-year automobile. Only a minority ever lease our motor vehicles.

* Most of our wives are planners and meticulous budgeters. In fact, only 18 percent of us disagreed with the statement "Charity begins at home." Most of us will tell you that our wives are a lot more conservative with money than we are.

* We have more than six and one-half times the level of wealth of our nonmillionaire neighbors, but, in our neighborhood, these nonmillionaires outnumber us better than three to one. Could it be that they have chosen to trade wealth for acquiring high-status material possessions?

* As a group, we are fairly well educated. Only about one in five are not college graduates. Many of us hold advanced degrees. Eighteen percent have master's degrees, 8 percent law degrees, 6 percent medical degrees, and 6 percent Ph.D.s.

* As a group, we believe that education is extremely important for ourselves, our children, and our grandchildren. We spend heavily for the educations of our offspring.

* About two-thirds of us work between forty-five and fifty-five hours per week.

* We are fastidious investors. On average, we invest nearly 20 percent of our household realized income each year. Most of us invest at least 15 percent. Seventy-nine percent of us have at least one account with a brokerage company. But we make our own investment decisions.

* We hold nearly 20 percent of our household's wealth in transaction securities such as publicly traded stocks and mutual funds. But we rarely sell our equity investments. We hold even more in our pension plans. On average, 21 percent of our household's wealth is in our private businesses.

Last edited:

Mackerel

Augur

Lol, such naivety, "Make money during an economic boom and never spend it, you'll be rich!", what's the point of working for it then, do the numbers in the account buy a better afterlife? Also, pray tell, how did the author of this make his living and what kind of house and car did he own? This is just an advertisement for investment firms and banks.

My advice would be to go either lazy and frugal, or work hard/play hard, as your personality dictates. Fools will sort themselves.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

He's basically writing advice for poor people with high incomes who stay poor because they kept customs from the times of poverty.

Education as a money bringer depends on other people not educating themselves. Also, their ability to do successful business depends on other people not following that advice.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's not very scientific, in fact it's closest to propaganda than an accurate study of wealth generation and distribution...
He's basically writing advice for poor people with high incomes who stay poor because they kept customs from the times of poverty.

Education as a money bringer depends on other people not educating themselves. Also, their ability to do successful business depends on other people not following that advice.
Read the research behind the findings by both PhD economists before dismissing and reverting to your own preconceived "feelings" about why people (who work hard to achieve their financial goals) are richer than you are (who want to not work hard to steal the finances of those who do)... :roll:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Read the research behind the findings by both PhD economists before dismissing and reverting to your own preconceived "feelings" about why people (who work hard to achieve their financial goals) are richer than you are (who want to not work hard to steal the finances of those who do)... :roll:
I want to work. I don't know why you got the idea that I don't. Also, I don't know where you got that idea that you can not work hard and keep your job if you are hired or not work hard and pay your bills if you own a company.
You sound like a person that never worked and only talks about fantasy of the job market.

I experienced effects of both other people educating themselves and other people saving money first hand. I don't need papers written by PHDs to know it's bad news for chances to get wealthy.

I also know from experience what that guy is talking about (sadly from the first hand experience before the other people educating themselves and other people saving money) - keeping poor people customs (living from month to month) when earning good money leads to staying poor.

Also, search member photos thread for Kem0sabe. You'll be surprised...

mindx2

Patron
I want to work. I don't know why you got the idea that I don't. Also, I don't know where you got that idea that you can not work hard and keep your job if you are hired or not work hard and pay your bills if you own a company.
You sound like a person that never worked and only talks about fantasy of the job market.

I experienced effects of both other people educating themselves and other people saving money first hand. I don't need papers written by PHDs to know it's bad news for chances to get wealthy.

I also know from experience what that guy is talking about (sadly from the first hand experience before the other people educating themselves and other people saving money) - keeping poor people customs (living from month to month) when earning good money leads to staying poor.

Also, search member photos thread for Kem0sabe. You'll be surprised...

Nah, I've worked all my life and invest as sensibly as I can. I'm not "rich" by most standards but live what can be considered an upper-middle class life style (enough to blow lots of money on KSers and my box collection :P). My biggest gripe is people talking about how the only way wealthy people get wealthy is by inheriting it and that is just patently false. I don't begrudge those that work hard to earn what they have. I feel as if I've had to work even harder at times because people tend to not think I'm capable. I was raised to be independent and not become a charity case and I thank God everyday that my parents raised me that way. I want to be responsible for me (and now my family, of course) not expecting others to get it for me nor whining when others succeed more than I have.

One caveat is I'm talking North America here where inherited wealth is actually rare. I have no idea what it's like across the pond other than what I see on Downton Abbey (just kidding about that part). No offense intended on your work ethic my friend. My thumb tends to type faster than my thoughts can come out clearly. :salute:

Machocruz

Arcane
The work-all-the-time path to wealth applies particularly to elite business people, whose job is money. These are people who live to work, 7 days a week. In that respect they work hard, but like a master athlete or artist they do so because it's an obsession, their passion. Business opportunities (which they are always looking for) are just a means to an end. The proverbial lemonade stand isn't because they have a passion for citrus fruits. I'd say wealth is even a side effect, something they'll gladly take but they'd be working with money regardless. It's dedication to a single pursuit, and particular belief systems, not greater intelligence or a stronger back, that helps them get there. Abundance mentality, money is out there, making it is a skill that can be developed. There is no "I've made it, now I can relax." There is no arrival point, just more deals to be made. Money gets put to work to make more money.

Good economic habits too, if they want to hold on to that money. They don't end up like M.C. Hammer, blowing their stacks on a baller lifestyle with no foot above the brakes.

And of course, there is always luck. Not being born under tyrants or in a third world desert hovel or with mental handicaps, these things help.

because researchers have never been paid to tell something clearly wrong...

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Notch is sitting in a private jet with Bobby Kotick.

Notch says : "If I open the window, just a fraction, for one second, and throws this 100$ bill, I would make someone happy."
Kotick says : "If I throw two 50$ bills through that opening, then I make two persons happy."
Notch says : "If I throw ten 10$ bills, I make ten persons happy."
Kotick begins : "If I...." but he is interrupted by the pilot shouting "If I drop these two assholes mid-flight , I'm gonna make six billion people happy.".

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I must say I can understand Notch.
Sure, he made lots of mistakes and his situation is mostly his own fault, but I can imagine how someone who can buy and have everything can reach a point of zero motivation, naturally ending in a depressed phase.

I figure he will get out of that phase and start doing something he likes again.

zlocish

Educated
I must say I can understand Notch.
Sure, he made lots of mistakes and his situation is mostly his own fault, but I can imagine how someone who can buy and have everything can reach a point of zero motivation, naturally ending in a depressed phase.

I figure he will get out of that phase and start doing something he likes again.
Well, if that's the case, can't he start helping other people? With that kind of money he could start some foundation or something.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sure he could.
But as long as you have zero motivation, you just won't.

You just can't apply normal logic to people who are in a depressed state. It never works.
And it is damn hard to tell someone who is just being whiny from someone who actually has problems.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd be depressed too if I suddenly received 2 billion dollars, and then bought this:
242A190800000578-0-Champagne_wishes_and_caviar_dreams_Beyonce_and_Jay_Z_have_lost_a-a-28_1419330960824.jpg

When I could have had this for a fraction of the pice:
http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/s...istorical-villa-other-czech-republic-cz-36001

Of course, moving to the most hipster area in the world, where there are only rich young SJWs around, isn't the best decision either. Of course you're gonna feel lonely when all the people around you are soulless faggots.

Drax

Arcane
That's the saddest part.
Were he in trouble after falling in a spiral of sex, drugs and rock & roll, at least that would be respectable.
Weeping in an empty mansion full of candy is so pathetic it depresses me.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Won't be long before he shows up with a hair implant or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom