Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

They've published many classic games, from SimCity to Dungeon Keeper to Starflight to Bard's Tale and Ultima, the list goes on and on. When I started gaming in the mid 80's EA was pretty much a synonym with quality games, it was only later that the shit started to hit the fan and they started fucking developers over in order to make a quick buck. The EA of today is just another bog-standard AAA tripe publisher.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
They've published many classic games, from SimCity to Dungeon Keeper to Starflight to Bard's Tale and Ultima, the list goes on and on. When I started gaming in the mid 80's EA was pretty much a synonym with quality games, it was only later that the shit started to hit the fan and they started fucking developers over in order to make a quick buck. The EA of today is just another bog-standard AAA tripe publisher.

:retarded:

Starflight, yes.
Bard's Tale, yes.

That's good EA, the old EA.

The other titles you brought up? Those are acquistions, EA buying up developers, stripping them of their assets them killing them off behind the shed, the bad EA you yourself bring up.

You can't just hate blindly on EA, you gotta know why you must hate them.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I think their sports games are fairly decent. Probably better in quality than Dragonshit or whatever.

(I don't play them but I have this weird assumption)

A horse of course

The Digital Antiquarian wrote an article exploring the question of whether EA were ever really "good guys": http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-early-history-of-ea.79912/

Does it contain the story from Console Wars about Trip "Motherfucker" Hawkins flat out admitting he stole and reverse-engineered other corporations' hardware and that he had a team of lawyers ready to drag the legal suits out for as long as it took unless the patent holders just cut a deal with him?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Freeman's Mind guy (Scott something - forgot his last name) has done a rant on EA always being evil in the second half of his review of Zany Golf (he does reviews of obscure games sometimes):

:retarded:

Starflight, yes.
Bard's Tale, yes.

That's good EA, the old EA.

The other titles you brought up? Those are acquistions, EA buying up developers, stripping them of their assets them killing them off behind the shed, the bad EA you yourself bring up.

You can't just hate blindly on EA, you gotta know why you must hate them.

None of what you wrote contradicts anything in my post - I specifically wrote that they've "published" many classic games, there's no value judgment implicit in that statement. Yes, hostile takeovers happened, yes they fucked Origin, Bullfrog, etc. over the years, but again, as I wrote - such things happened later. It doesn't change the fact that they published classic games, and that the EA logo wasn't synonym with terrible AAA pap like it is now. That's all I wrote.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
EA gets all the chicks: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-ea-to-head-new-studio-and-work-on-star-wars

(the new studio isn't the one making Star Wars)

Jade Raymond joins EA to head new studio and work on Star Wars
Will oversee Visceral plus Montreal-based startup Motive.

Former Assassin's Creed co-creator and Ubisoft Toronto boss Jade Raymond has joined EA.

jpg

Raymond will head up Motive, a new studio startup in Montreal, but also oversee Dead Space and Battlefield: Hardline studio Visceral Games.

Her first project at EA will be Visceral's Star Wars adventure game, which is being helmed by Uncharted alumni Amy Hennig.

Motive will also work "in close quarters" with the BioWare team, Raymond has said, specifically referencing the BioWare Montreal team developing Mass Effect: Andromeda.

"I'm happy to announce that I'm joining Electronic Arts and opening Motive, a new development studio in my home town of Montreal, Canada," Raymond revealed in a blog posted to EA.com.

"I cannot think of a more exciting time to be a part of EA than right now. Yanick Roy and the BioWare Montreal team are doing some new and exciting things with Mass Effect: Andromeda and it's clear that there is already so much talent to collaborate with on site.

"And as a player of the latest Battlefield and Dragon Age games, I have experienced what the Frostbite engine can do; and I can't wait to get my hands on it and see what a new team can create!

"We will be building Motive in Montreal, and together we will shape and evolve the culture we want to develop incredible action experiences.

"Motive will be a creative-driven team, incubating entirely new IP and taking on some amazing projects. The first one is going to be really exciting - we're going to work on Amy Hennig's Star Wars game!

"In addition to building the new Motive Studio in Montreal, I will also oversee the Visceral studio in California. I'm a huge fan of the games that have come out of Visceral and I feel honoured to be working with such a talented team led by studio GM Scott Probst. I've also known Amy for years and have admired her work on the Uncharted games!

"I'm thrilled that the first big project that we will work on in Montreal will have Amy as creative director. An opportunity to work with her and the Visceral team, and to play in the Star Wars universe, is once-in-a-lifetime stuff."

Speaking last month, voice actor and Uncharted star Nolan North described Hennig's secretive Star Wars game as "Star Wars in the style of Uncharted", and "along the same lines" as gritty and glitzy third-person action adventure Star Wars 1313, which was canned. We've yet to see anything of the game publicly - its release is likely still far, far away.

Motive will also work "in close quarters" with the BioWare team, Raymond has said, specifically referencing the BioWare Montreal team developing Mass Effect: Andromeda.

:lol:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I would add the Flight and Sub sims Fighters/Jane's..those were EA in house and F/A-18 and USAF came out in 1999 when the popularity of flight sims had waned. EA wasn't always shit and even the good things they churned out until 2000 weren't always by acquired developers but actually made by EA.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
jpg

"I'm happy to announce that I'm joining Electronic Arts and opening Motive, a new development studio in my home town of Montreal, Canada," Raymond revealed in a blog posted to EA.com. She then unhinged her jaw and swallowed a live rat.

J1M

Arcane
EA gets all the chicks: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-ea-to-head-new-studio-and-work-on-star-wars

(the new studio isn't the one making Star Wars)

Jade Raymond joins EA to head new studio and work on Star Wars
Will oversee Visceral plus Montreal-based startup Motive.

Former Assassin's Creed co-creator and Ubisoft Toronto boss Jade Raymond has joined EA.

jpg

Raymond will head up Motive, a new studio startup in Montreal, but also oversee Dead Space and Battlefield: Hardline studio Visceral Games.

Her first project at EA will be Visceral's Star Wars adventure game, which is being helmed by Uncharted alumni Amy Hennig.

She has obviously done a great job of climbing the corporate ladder, but I don't understand the desire to ret-con her contribution to Assassin's Creed from "Producer" into "Co-creator".

J1M

Arcane
She was the face of assassin's creed when it was announced in 2006/7. She was like an ubisoft pete hines.
Yes, but it is insulting to the people who actually did coding and artwork for a game to retroactively call a spokesperson the game's 'creator'. I felt like that was pretty clear in my last post?

pippin

Yeah. After all, AC was made by a multicultural team of various faiths and beliefs. Don't you think that's what really matters, you privileged swine?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's also very clear who was actually responsible for AC as a lead because the series took a nosedive once Desilets left. Not that it was A-grade material to begin with, but it lost that certain something.

by6Yndx.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom