Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

deuxhero

Arcane
What aside from The Sims and their yearly sports franchises does EA even have left now that isn't toxic?

There is Mirror's Edge and they are ruining that "for a wider audience".

Avellion

Erudite
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...effort-make-games-mundane-annoying-real-life/

EA will basically be employing the always fantastic wait or pay mechanic in the new Need for Speed. You can either wait for a certain amount of time, or pay to fill up your tank immediately and keep racing. Each race uses up a certain amount of your fuel. It's like the ambiguous energy level used by some games, but employing the gasoline metaphor we're all accustomed to from real life.

The IAPs won't stop there. EA will also have multiple currencies in the game too. The more rare will be gold, which is used for "premium" transactions. You will be able to buy it for cash money, then use it to fill your tank, upgrade you car, and so on.

For a game called no limits, EA sure did one hell of a job on adding limits on playability to the game.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...effort-make-games-mundane-annoying-real-life/

EA will basically be employing the always fantastic wait or pay mechanic in the new Need for Speed. You can either wait for a certain amount of time, or pay to fill up your tank immediately and keep racing. Each race uses up a certain amount of your fuel. It's like the ambiguous energy level used by some games, but employing the gasoline metaphor we're all accustomed to from real life.

The IAPs won't stop there. EA will also have multiple currencies in the game too. The more rare will be gold, which is used for "premium" transactions. You will be able to buy it for cash money, then use it to fill your tank, upgrade you car, and so on.

For a game called no limits, EA sure did one hell of a job on adding limits on playability to the game.

This is standard free-to-play horseshit. I've tried free to play games and I've yet to try one that was worthwhile in any sense. My wife actually got to level 130+ in Candy Crush before concluding that it was impossible to advance without paying for bonuses/game features. Being the stubborn (and smart) woman she is, she just dropped the game entirely. Add in the fact that you are spending money into something you will never own just to play it and it's all part of a bubble waiting to burst.

The commercials look horribly amateur as well.

EA being late to the party is the only real surprise.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
I mean, I like to teabag EA as much as the next dude or twelve, but that's just standard iOS Operating Procedure. Old Man Yells At Cloud shit.

Once (not if, when) we see this on PC (consoles already gots it: Ace Combat Infinity) as SOP, then I guess we can all be grumpy.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tonight at the D.I.C.E. Summit in Las Vegas, Electronic Arts chief creative officer Richard Hilleman spoke about how video games today are often too hard to learn for new players.

"Our games are actually still too hard to learn," Hilleman said during during an on-stage interview with other developers. "The average player probably spends two hours to learn how to play the most basic game."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-exec-our-games-are-too-hard-to-learn/1100-6425141/

LoL indeed...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, it's kind of hard to figure that Dung Keeper wants nothing from you but money, I mean an honest game would ask more from you than that.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tonight at the D.I.C.E. Summit in Las Vegas, Electronic Arts chief creative officer Richard Hilleman spoke about how video games today are often too hard to learn for new players.

"Our games are actually still too hard to learn," Hilleman said during during an on-stage interview with other developers. "The average player probably spends two hours to learn how to play the most basic game."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-exec-our-games-are-too-hard-to-learn/1100-6425141/

LoL indeed...

The horror... having to learn something.
I guess all EA games from now on can be played with only 2 buttons. Start button to start and A for Awesome.

I just saw that EA CCO comment on a news website and started laughing. Then I realized he wasn't joking, and that EA is still trying to cater to whatever casuals the last 10 years of consolization, mobile games and social network games haven't brought into the fold. Then I became sad before realizing that these days, it doesn't really matter, as there is finally a very healthy niche gaming industry, away from the sad shadows of mainstream gaming, fueled by indie developers, Kickstarter, Steam early access, third party tools, and so on. So fuck 'em, they can carry on dumbing their shit down.

pippin

I like how this person quoted Sims as a "hard game". Sim City maybe, since it has actual layers of gameplay, but Sims is literally install and play. The other example was Battlefield... no comment there.

Tehdagah

Arcane

LoL indeed...
He's right. The average player is stupid.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Battlefield Hardline Premium: here’s everything you get for $50

$110 for a Battlefield 3 4 reskin,

risitasgif.gif

Which of the AAA Megacorps will reach the $200/game target first...

edit: My bad, I just realized EA already won that bet a long time ago.
qY1j0C4.png

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Gotta love how they're locking things away behind Premium that always used to be free.

Not surprised that they're doing the queue priority thing again. I remember on BF3 about a year into the game's life cycle it became practically impossible to get in on popular servers as a non-premium player. It's a nice big fuck you to players who don't spend more money on the game and everyone just seems to lap it up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom