Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware LOL ELECTRONIC ARTS: The EA Thread

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I think it is funny how EA and other big publishers pushed so hard the agenda of gamming as a service and, when that happens, they are excluded.:lol: WoW and League of Legends proved that is pratically impossible for the whole industry to change to a service based system as always one game will dominate and the others won't get even close.

I really can't help but wonder what is it with EA, even compared to other big publishers in the industry.

We want a big MMORPG to rival game X! Create Warhammer Online and The Old Republic.
We want a big FPS to rival game X! Create Titanfall and necro Medal of Honor.
We want a big MOBA to rival game X! Create Dawngate.

It's like there are insiders sabotaging them or something.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it is funny how EA and other big publishers pushed so hard the agenda of gamming as a service and, when that happens, they are excluded.:lol: WoW and League of Legends proved that is pratically impossible for the whole industry to change to a service based system as always one game will dominate and the others won't get even close.

I really can't help but wonder what is it with EA, even compared to other big publishers in the industry.

We want a big MMORPG to rival game X! Create Warhammer Online and The Old Republic.

EA's rival big FPS is Battlefield, which is doing all right I guess

DeepOcean

Arcane

EA's rival big FPS is Battlefield, which is doing all right I guess
But it didn't sell 50 millions of copies so it's an abject failure (EA logic).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You have to give some respect to EA for their commitment in being the worst publisher in the industry, and that despite some real stiff competition coming from all sides this past several years.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I've said this before and I will continue to say this until the day I die:

Fuck EA.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The problem with EA is more than just being risk adverse, their games have no clear goals (even CoD had some clear goal on being a casual Counter Strike.). Titanfall was released and what could be the popamole shooter EA always wanted, as usual, EA fucked things up. EA doesn't release games, EA dumps games on the market. They release a game with no single player while the multiplayer had no meat to it. No new and interesting multiplayer modes(just the old capture the flag and team deathmatch.), very small amount of mechs and gun options, mechs gunplay was even more popamole and didn't even required some twitch skills.

If they had a clear vision and created a truly dynamic multiplayer campaign as they promised instead of CoD with mechs they could had something kinda interesting. Anyway, while people continue to buy Fifa and Madden, they can remain incompetent and act amused with their own incompetence the way they do now. Hey... there is hope for EA, Activision is getting as incompetent as them lately, that may level the playing field a bit.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
How do I play Dead Space 3 without interference from Origin? The first two were decent and gave a slight System Shock 2 feel (but missing a lot of the best aspects).

Just browsing their "Black Friday" sales and felt very distressed about the fact EA have hold of all the Ultima titles. Had to breathe into a paper bag for a while.

Then I calmed down after visiting the GOG website - thank heavens for GOG. I need to buy some of their stuff tonight to ensure they keep on going. GOG protects us all from EA.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Would suggest asking someone to DL that game through Origin and gave you install files, then I reminded that Origin is glued with DS3, threating Origin as an downloader only would not work.
Either play older Dork Speesh or don't try DS3 at all. Save yourself [Event Horizon line].

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Save yourself [Event Horizon line].

sdynA.gif

Tehdagah

Arcane
How do I play Dead Space 3 without interference from Origin? The first two were decent and gave a slight System Shock 2 feel (but missing a lot of the best aspects).

Just browsing their "Black Friday" sales and felt very distressed about the fact EA have hold of all the Ultima titles. Had to breathe into a paper bag for a while.

Then I calmed down after visiting the GOG website - thank heavens for GOG. I need to buy some of their stuff tonight to ensure they keep on going. GOG protects us all from EA.
Pirate?

PS3 or X360?

:M

You don't. You don't want to play it at all.
Why not? It's the same thing of DS2, but with co-op instead of a versus mode.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Thing is - DS3 atmospere is even more lighter than before, infesting with dudebro coop + microtransaction make things worse to already bad thing.

One particullary good thing in DS3 are hallucinations, separated. That's mean only one player may share visions, while other coop dudebro is confused "wtf are you talking about? I don't see anything", seeing your partner shooting empty air.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Love triangle sub-plot extremely obnoxious.
Custom weapons are effectively pointless since only 1 or two types of projectile are worth bothering with, rest are either impractical or don't do enough damage to justify wasting your time with them.
Vast majority of 'extra' content are just walking through copy-pasted ship interiors flipping switches.
Online practically dead, which takes out the only potentially interesting aspect of it.
Which is all a shame, seeing as it at least tried to take another thematic direction from the other games, being what with its arctic setting and all.

Martius

Liturgist
Why not? It's the same thing of DS2, but with co-op instead of a versus mode.
Its not. DS3 play like strange mix. It feel like it between co-op shooter and survival horror. It would be probably much better if visceral decided on one direction, now its pretty much mess of ideas.

One particullary good thing in DS3 are hallucinations, separated. That's mean only one player may share visions, while other coop dudebro is confused "wtf are you talking about? I don't see anything", seeing your partner shooting empty air.
Hm, I played around half with buddy and neither of us got them. Maybe these happen during some optional content?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
EA backing off buying companies, from here on out

Speaking at the Credit Suisse Annual Technology Conference today, as reported by GamesIndustry.biz, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said that the company has "great opportunities inside our organization" and will cease making acquisitions a focus.

Over the years, the publisher has picked up a number of companies. Notable examples include Maxis, Origin, and Westwood in the 1990s, and more recentlyPlayfish and BioWare, two purchases which each cost the company hundreds of millions of dollars.​

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
EA backing off buying companies, from here on out

Speaking at the Credit Suisse Annual Technology Conference today, as reported by GamesIndustry.biz, EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said that the company has "great opportunities inside our organization" and will cease making acquisitions a focus.

Over the years, the publisher has picked up a number of companies. Notable examples include Maxis, Origin, and Westwood in the 1990s, and more recentlyPlayfish and BioWare, two purchases which each cost the company hundreds of millions of dollars.​

Nowadays when you buy a successful developer you're not buying a loyal fanbase to go with it.

Anyway, I don't think there's any independent developers left worth buying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom