Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

LundB

Mistakes were made.
You say you weren't saying Thief and Deus Ex were shooters.

That means your post was nonsensical. Saying that two non-shooters gave you a standard that no shooter since has managed to reach is an utterly pointless statement, since it's complaining about apples not reaching some standard on a measuring scale for oranges.

Or, you were calling them shooters, and are just trying to backpedal while maintaining a sense of superiority, in which case that post is logically consistent. In that case, move on, and stop with all the 'reading comprehension' bullshit.

You can argue that you weren't saying they were great shooters, just less shit than recent ones. You can argue that they are great shooters. You cannot logically argue that you did not call them shooters, unless your original post was badly made.

Captain Shrek

That means your post was nonsensical. Saying that two non-shooters gave you a standard that no shooter since has managed to reach is an utterly pointless statement, since it's complaining about apples not reaching some standard on a measuring scale for oranges.

Or, you were calling them shooters, and are just trying to backpedal while maintaining a sense of superiority, in which case that post is logically consistent. In that case, move on, and stop with all the 'reading comprehension' bullshit.

You can argue that you weren't saying they were great shooters, just less shit than recent ones. You can argue that they are great shooters. You cannot logically argue that you did not call them shooters, unless your original post was badly made.

Don't waste your time on this. Its better spent elsewhere.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Also, for some reason my mind translates "BSN" to "Bullshit News" before I remember it's supposed to be bioware social network.

Sacculina

Educated

He said, 'And why do people accept shitty design my inane friend? Because they are getting something else.'--implying that a game from an entirely different genre of games was causing a decline in RPGs. That's akin to saying that Thief, a stealth game, caused a decline in shooters. So the earlier post was nonsensical, with the intent to show that what he was claiming just didn't follow. My previous post was true; I used to be a shooter fan before playing Thief and Deus Ex, but now shooters don't interest me anymore.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

They aren't shooters, but both they and shooters share some attributes, among them map design. In the area of map design specifically, one could argue that they've left shooters behind, making them look crappy in comparison.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

Can't believe I never knew about this video until now. This Rageaholic guy is pretty :obviously:.

Until you find out he rips on New Vegas for being too hard.

:thumbsup:

Edit: What the fuck's going on with the arguments up there, what happened to all the
KCQYi.png
?

(The point Sacculina was trying to make is that you can't blame a game for design that works well for what it's intended if a developer from another genre wishes to exploit them - poorly - for the sake of getting more sales when really, the blame ought to be laid at the feet of the fucktard developers and the idiots who'd actually buy it.)

LundB

Mistakes were made.
He said, 'And why do people accept shitty design my inane friend? Because they are getting something else.'--implying that a game from an entirely different genre of games was causing a decline in RPGs. That's akin to saying that Thief, a stealth game, caused a decline in shooters. So the earlier post was nonsensical, with the intent to show that what he was claiming just didn't follow. My previous post was true; I used to be a shooter fan before playing Thief and Deus Ex, but now shooters don't interest me anymore.

That is a fair argument. In true modern decline fashion, I can't be bothered to go back and read through the entire thread of conversation before the one I started with to verify all that, so I retract my criticism.

They aren't shooters, but both they and shooters share some attributes, among them map design. In the area of map design specifically, one could argue that they've left shooters behind, making them look crappy in comparison.

I didn't say they weren't shooters. I just said that someone seemed to be calling them shooters, then denying that they had called them shooters. The map design defense is a perfectly fair argument against the claim made by another poster that they are not good shooters.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jesus christ people, would you stop having a discussion about shooters and get back on the topic of Bioware's latest game...oh wait.

circ

Arcane
Except rageaholic, strangely I read that as rapeaholic first, actually seemed to think DA 1 was truly deserving of GOTY. Good points though, and a nice change from the ass kissing that followed the original review.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
There was a writer named Jenny,
whose novel earned not a penny,
her writings so bad,
made smart gamers sad,
her detractors now there are many.

There stands a writer named Drew,
who thinks himself well above you,
if you don't think he's grand,
then just talk to the hand,
he doesn't need any of you.

There sits a mod named Stan Woo,
an internet gestapo yahoo,
once your opinion is heard,
he calls it absurb,
END OF LINE.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Except rageaholic, strangely I read that as rapeaholic first, actually seemed to think DA 1 was truly deserving of GOTY. Good points though, and a nice change from the ass kissing that followed the original review.

His love of the first game only makes his fiery rage at the second one sweeter. :smug:

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Clearly, you should prove you are NOT a female by showing tits or GTFO.
Sorry, Sacculinae do not possess mammary glands.

having long hair, for example, is a woman thing, at least where I live, do you understand now
Let me put it this way:

I like playing The Sims 2 more than Mass Effect because:

(1) The Sims 2 is actually fun to play whereas Mass Effect has terrible gameplay and Mark Meer.

(2) I'm a woman.

Please explain why you would automatically assume (2) rather than (1).
the point I replied to wasn't about Mass Effect being fun to play(arguable, btw) or Mark "Majestic" Meer, bro, not to mention previously you said you said something about hating mass effect, now that's improvising

it was about liking the sims and (somehow) sucking at mass effect, there's a little difference

Those are things associated with being a woman(like having longer hair and tits) I am not saying men can't posess those characteristics... this is the disclaimer I was trying to avoid, and I think you understood it the first time I explained it, so if you don't disagree that women have a higher tendency to like The Sims or that liking The Sims and not being invested in/not learning/not trying/being plain bad/whatever at Mass Effect combat(which still doesn't necessarily mean one dislikes the game OR the combat, by the way) aren't woman characteristics, please don't forget to state what is your disagreement before we go on

also why are we talking in strikethroughs, I like to be able to strike my tangents and less relevant comments through, it's convenient and hey, I re-read the posts here and you said I fell right in line with people who turned "this" into a sexism issue(?)... why? I know this is actually probably being an asshole, now that I decided to properly defend(and uh... disclaim, since you STILL need disclaimers on the fucking RPG Codex) my point, but please tell me

(you're welcome, by the way, and the text editor is a great way to read my post)
Fuck it, this is getting too GD
we're still talking about Bioware products

dextermorgan

Arcane
One theme that I see commonly repeated in these Hepler defense articles/comments is people being impressed with her job AND vagina "burn" comment. They seem to be under mistaken impression that the vagina in question is somehow desirable.

Sacculina

Educated
Fuck it, this is getting too GD
we're still talking about Bioware products
Point taken. But I think it will get too GD even for this thread if we pursue this further, and I think it's best we focus our ire on BioWare rather than navigating the vagina minefield our Ms Hepler helped create.

There was a writer named Jenny,
whose novel earned not a penny,
her writings so bad,
made smart gamers sad,
her detractors now there are many.

There stands a writer named Drew,
who thinks himself well above you,
if you don't think he's grand,
then just talk to the hand,
he doesn't need any of you.

There sits a mod named Stan Woo,
an internet gestapo yahoo,
once your opinion is heard,
he calls it absurb,
END OF LINE.

:lol::salute:

Well that's just great, so now all the critics are going to be associated with the "vile underbelly of gaming" by the BSN. I bet Bioware are laughing their asses off right now.

racofer

Thread Incliner

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Well that's just great, so now all the critics are going to be associated with the "vile underbelly of gaming" by the BSN. I bet Bioware are laughing their asses off right now.

Eh, I wouldn't worry too much. In the end, this is just another person getting trolled on the Internet.

CONSEQUENCES WILL NEVER BE THE SAME? Yes. Yes they will.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Can we start a change.org petition for "EA please close BioWare and scatter their employees from a AC-130 across the Sahara" ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom