Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Logic Artists reveal Expeditions: Conquistador sequel - Expeditions: Viking

deuxhero

Arcane
On a more serious note, I really loved how difficulty modes in Conquistador were named after famous Conquistadors. Will this kind of naming return in Viking?

How completed is the game currently? You mention a lot of stuff isn't decided and the trailer has no gameplay.

Last edited:

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
On a more serious note, I really loved how difficulty modes in Conquistador were named after famous Conquistadors. Will this kind of naming return in Viking?

How completed is the game currently? You mention a lot of stuff isn't decided and the trailer has no gameplay.

With regards to the named difficulty levels, I don't see why not. We had fun coming up with it, and it'll likely be fun coming up with them for Viking as well.
As for how completed it is, we're still very early in production and still have a long way to go (hence the 2016 release). We have something playable already, but not something we're ready to show off to the public just yet.

Can I be a pacifist viking who just trades and put a lot of points in Linguistics?

As with conquistador, you will be able to play a more diplomatic role, but you also won't be able to please everyone ;)

Tigranes

Arcane
I'd rather they improve the features they have rather than add more or make it "bigger" and more "open world". I'm sure the labels sell copies, or something, but they won't really improve your game.

There were very nice and consequential dialogue options - there's room for more creative and complex ones. The resource management was fun but simple, and a lot of balancing is required to make them not devolve into a chore. The combat was a decent start but it can be made truly great with more attention to encounter design and wider character / skill variety, as well as AI. It was a solid first game and I'd love to see everything solid built on, not muddled with new features.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I hope for fewer but better designed combat encounters.

Stuff like the city siege in conquistador was cool and a lot of fun, but by the second island it felt like most of the fights had ran out of ideas (it certainly didn't help most of the dudes were maxed out in xp and equipment too). For me, the ideal would be Blackguards style encounters.

An option to discover America?
Sounds like DLC!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I feel that Tigranes is spot on in his post. The first game was fun and with improvements, I am sure this will be really good, too. Don't overdo it on new features.

34scell

Augur
The term viking is probably less inherently hostile than conquistador. By the way, what other historically specific words are there for heavily armed adventurers?

ColCol

Arcane
Well, I guess my prediction of a game based on twenty-first century urban explores was not correct. Disappointing.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, it isn't Expeditions: Kurwa, but I had fun with the first Expeditions,
and I think I can settle with Viking longboats instead of leading the
great polish marine.:salute:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Dark Ages are not really my favourite era for the type of game they are going, I am already sick with Vikings in M&B Viking Conquest. Really a shame.

HOWEVER, there is a chance you may go to fabled Miklagard, Constantinople? Pledge yourself to the Emperor( I know its anachronistic but hey ), and then the game suddenly turns into Expeditions Varangian and Heavy Lance Cataphract Asia Minor edition?

I wish.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
The term viking is probably less inherently hostile than conquistador. By the way, what other historically specific words are there for heavily armed adventurers?

Whalers, Argonauts, Mercenary Hoplites, Gipsies.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
These topics are a good telltale of disgusting people nerds. They get so excited about a dev apparently providing touch of contact with their disgusting 'historical' fantasies they can't help themselves

'will there be rape?!?'

Atomical

Logic Artists
Developer
Yeah, that was one of the most annoying thingss in Conquistadors for me (after the camera/interface issues) and we have to expect it to be as stupid and nonsensical in this one. "Historical"... <insert Picard facepalm pic here>

Yea, there will be Shield Maidens in Expeditions: Viking. We feed on your "Historical" angst.

it's delicious.

Jokes aside, for Viking there will be a set # of party members, not a draft as in Expeditions: Conquistador. And if the player doesn't like one or more of their party members they can hire mercenaries to replace them. The mercs won't have the story arc or side quests that the set characters do. But if a woman carrying a shield makes no sense to you, then don't fret! You can replace them with a selection of bearded bros.

What were your camera and interface issues with Expeditions: Conquistador?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Well as with Wasteland 2, you kinda have to "fight" the camera to get the right view of the game world - but then again I'm a diehard isometric/perspective/fixed camera fag.

The interface was functionally pretty good although it could have used more 'style', IMO. Definitely make the HUD look like materials from the game world IMO.

My two biggest problems were performance and the audio popping (unfixable for me).

Personally I enjoyed the overland movement / resting system and I liked the dialogue, scripted interactions (like entering a cave text adventures etc) and random events.

Combat could have been better IMO.

A more fleshed out item system for characters would be nice rather than just the tick the box to upgrade the armor or weapon as that just divulged into a pool of 'gear points' that you would just set on whichever followers you were sending into combat and change it every battle. I understand that was probably done to save money on art assets and systems etc.

Last edited:

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
serpent_in_the_staglands___paint_by_snoardur-d8uq9oz.png

Kron just reminded me how cool cannibals were, hopefully there'll be some 13th Warrior/Eaters of the Dead references.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom