Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Live. Die. Repeat - the AoD Ironman thread

I have seen Irenaeus II 's posts about it and after a lot of degenerate save-scumming with my first characters, I decided to Ironman-only from now on because that's the mainly thing to do.
(alternatively, one reload chance per city? Maybe I will try coin-flop for reload)

Maybe Irenaeus is right, it is the mainly way to play AoD:

edge-of-tomorrow-poster-banner.jpg

My chars until now:
Phillipos Augustus - Loremaster, my first character. Got "stuck" in Teron because I got some bad solutions for missions. Sorta got fucked because not enough cha and I didn't feel like grinding my teeth yet. Build: Dagger/Block/CS, Streetwise/Persuade/Lore/Ettiquete/Impersonate. Too spread.

Philipos Augustus (II) - Loremaster (Build: Dagger/Block/CS, Streetwise/Persuade/Lore), another one who got stuck in Teron. Alocated the wrong skill points. Bit more cha now.

Philipos Augustus (III) - Loremaster (Build: Dagger/Block/CS, Streetwise/Persuade/Lore), turned into Loremaster-Merchant hybrid because I did Commercium quests and through some training got some fairly decent trade skillz. Got as far as Maadoran, decided to restart and begin with a new char because I already knew enough about the game not to die like a tard, and now I want to Ironman. Also tired of savescumming all the time.

___________________________Ironman only from now on_____________
Philipos Augustus (IV) - Pure Loremaster - the "Indiana Jones" loremaster build (Build: Crossbow/Dodge, Streetwise/Lore). Died to some losers in Teron.

Romulus Brutus - Mercenary. Build: Tank-Block Spearman (10 CON 6 Dex, made to take a beating), Spear/Block e Streetwise/Crafting, killed the assassin but got pwn by the two thieves near Tavern.

Romulus Gaius - Merc, same build bigger shield, killed the assassin but still died to the two thieves.

Flavius Romulus - Just like before, still died like a bitch to the thugs with daggers in the vignette.

Julius Aenas - Same build, but I brought a even bigger shield and now more ST and less CH. Killed the assassin and the thieves but the merchant died. Died attacking the bandit camp by himself.

Interesting discoveries: One-handed spear + block are great, but crap when you have to fight like six niggas because then everyone goes a conga line and bashing doesn't work a damn because the square is busy. Also, 8 AP and big-ass shield/armor sucks because then you stay like a 'tard missing quick attacks while there's a guy with this huge-ass axe seeping your HP.

Thinking about going pure talker Le Happy Merchant with Alchemy or trying another type of merc in next attempt.

Here's some alternate game-modes one might want to try if they think Ironman is too hardcore:

Copperman: Every time you die, flip one or more coins to decide if your character's death happened for real, or it was a alternate timeline/nightmare/whatever. If you want more hardcoreness, reload from latest auto-save (combat autosave?).
Teronman: No savescumming beyond Teron. That means that once you get out of Teron, you can't reload if you die. Yes, this includes anything that happens after Teron but before Maadoran, like
Mercato's thugs ambush
and
Freeing yourself from Gaelius' men if you go the IG Kingslayer route
My current merc is doing a Teronman run right now. Characters are pretty powerful and defined after Teron, so its much harder to die to random chance.

Groundhog City: You can make one save per start of a city - so one save in Teron (say, start of vignette), one save in Maadoran, one save in Ganezaar. If you die once in each place, you can load that save once and return to the start of your journey in that city. If you die again you lose and your soul is dragged to Hades. If you want it easier, if you die again you get back... to the previous city, and if you die twice in Teron its GAME OVER.

Request - think you ironmen could take screenshots of all the unique game over screens you collect?

I will try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom