Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

List of the must play games

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
World of Xeen
Wizardry 8
Fallout 1&2
Icewind Dale
Planescape Torment
Daggerfall
Temple of Elemental Evil

For starters.

Skippy

Literate
Also, if the game is on multiple platforms, please recommend me the best version in your opinion. I found out years later the Amiga version of Bard's Tale was so much better (in my opinion) than the Commodore 64 version.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Also, if the game is on multiple platforms, please recommend me the best version in your opinion. I found out years later the Amiga version of Bard's Tale was so much better (in my opinion) than the Commodore 64 version.
I'd be surprised if the opposite was true considering how much more modest the C64 is

From what I've seen if something is released on multiple plataforms the Amiga version tends to be the better one, specially in grafics

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You can also go to backloggery. com to try and keep track and what games you've played on which systems.

It's a fairly detailed set up.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
In regards to the Realms of Arkania trilogy (part 2 is on the Top70 list) you should play the original trilogy, not the enhanced/HD version for the love of all that you hold dear for it is truly horrific.
While I suppose part one and two of the trilogy could be considered a bit more "old school", part three could be viewed as more modern. Since part three differs so vastly from one and two gameplay and scope wise, I recommend giving part three a shot even in case you don't enjoy one/two. And if you enjoyed one/two, even better and play three as well ;)

resilient sphere

Educated
I'm not sure I'd recommend working through the top list from #1 because it'll be ages before you actually get into good combat or have to solve a puzzle tougher than just repeatedly picking the first dialogue option while talking to everyone in an entire settlement :M

frankly I would just go ahead and recommend Ultima 4, 5 & 6 as the best stuff

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
repeatedly picking the first dialogue option while talking to everyone in an entire settlement
:lol:

I just finished a replay of PST, and that's pretty much spot on. It's still very much worth playing since that first line is worth reading, like, 50% of the times, which leaves other CRPG dialogues far behind (except the Fallouts).

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I'm not sure I'd recommend working through the top list from #1 because it'll be ages before you actually get into good combat or have to solve a puzzle tougher than just repeatedly picking the first dialogue option while talking to everyone in an entire settlement :M

frankly I would just go ahead and recommend Ultima 4, 5 & 6 as the best stuff
Just roll a d100

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Other than the obvious isometric RPG's, this would be my choice:

Might & Magic X
Wizardry 6 & 7
Realms of Arkania 2
Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
Temple of Elemental Evil

Gord

Arcane
One more tip regarding the Realms of Arkania trilogy:
Should you happen to be German, or able to understand it and interested in playing those games in their original language, I'd recommend getting the "Heldenedition" re-release on disk.
It contains all three original games in the best available versions and with some bugfixes, complete with some Dosbox configuration that should further help avoiding some bugs that can occur when playing them on modern systems.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
what kind of fag are you? if you're mostly a combat fag you can safely skip many of the highest placed entries of the top 50 list, for example.
Also since you enjoyed bards tale, i'd recommend the whole might & magic series except 9. most people only recommend xeen and maybe terra, but mm1 and 2 are absolutely worth playing, too.

Skippy

Literate
So without the Top 70 list being implemented I have these suggestions so far, in order:
Might and Magic X
World of Xeen
Wizardry 8
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Icewind Dale
Planescape Torment
Daggerfall
Temple of Elemental Evil
Ultima 4
Ultima 5
Ultima 6
Wizardry 6
Wizardry 7
Realms of Arkania 2
Ultima Underworld 1
Ultima Underworld 2
Might and Magic 1
Might and Magic 2
Might and Magic 3
Might and Magic 6
Might and Magic 7
Might and Magic 8

I skipped out on M&M 4/5 because it looks like World of Xeen is essentially both those games games, wrapped into one big package. Can't wait to get started!

Doktor Best

Arcane
Might & Magic X is a must-buy and a must-play

I would rather dip my balls in hot boiling oil than play a game which requires uplay. I wonder if MMX will ever get released from that prison.

Uplay is no different than Steam. I'm not saying I like either of those, but it's not the horrific horror you make it out to be.

I also hate steam but its like a tumor that has grown on me, im used to live with it. Doesnt mean i need or want another tumor in my life.

@ Topic:

what is missing:

Gothic 1+2 are must plays, aswell as imho Witcher series (atleast 1+3), Vampire Bloodlines, Shadowrun Dragonfall, Baldurs Gate 2, Legend of Grimrock, Geneforge series, Dark Souls, Fallout New Vegas,

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
Did anyone here name Space rangers 2 ? It is a decent game and newbie friendly .

Hellwalker

Animmal
Developer
I'm am an obnoxious heretic. I greatly dislike TB combat and favor the RTwP.
My exploration of RPG Genre has started in 2000(I was 12 and lived in crappy country with almost no PnP playerbase) and I have played pretty much everything more or less decent in RPG genre years 97~to now.(and around 10 games released earlier than that) Based on that I have not seen a single RPG with more tactical depth than RTwP gameplay.

I want to ask for the suggestion for an RPG with truly challenging and diverse(Char progression options) TB gameplay, (and more or less decent setting/story), to test my heretic convictions.
I'm talking pure RPG, not TBS or hybrid.

Year does not matter as long as I can run it somehow on Windows 8.1. My older systems died years ago with age and neglect.

Thanks in advance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom